Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Re: Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Postby Pat Murphy on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 8:25 am

Duxford. It appears to divide opinions but here goes.

Tickets: I have to agree with the comments on Parking. The charge is ridiculous, Just build the price into it. I run a Bed and Breakfast. Do I charge for bed and separately for Breakfast....No, it's just silly. So if your reading this IWM, sort it out for next year please.

The show: Well apart from the lack of Hurricanes (just the one :sad: ) and not a single flying Mustang :sad: the flying had it all. First time I have properly seen the GWDT and I have to say it was a really impressive routine to watch. Snipe reproduction later on was a great catch after being frustrated in Masterton with locked hangar and it sat inside!! The line up may have been a little tight, given the space at the Royston end of the line but facing away is definitely more interesting to look at AND photograph.

Photography: Well where do I start with this one... Your facing the sun...deal with it or don't bother. I enjoyed the challenge from the M11 end. everything to my left was lit up like the proverbial Christmas tree. To my right was interesting at times but there it is. It got better as the Spits came back in and the harshness of the sun faded. You can tell I did Sunday, especially looking at my arms, missed a bit with the Riemann P20 (F50) and got a nice red stripe round my elbows :grin:

Food: It's expensive but it's, without a doubt, better than in years gone by. You have the choice.

The only negative I can come up with apart from the parking charge is the cost for families. Charging nearly a full rate for under 16's is wrong, plain and simple. If we want to inspire future generations, we should make it easier and cheaper for families to attend. My two penneth

Oh and thanks to Stuart? from Colchester for the chat after my mate H had to bug out early.

9 out of 10 Duxford, but that parking charge.............
http://www.northwalesbreaks.co.uk
Formerly known as Ilovelightnings
User avatar
Pat Murphy

Re: Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Postby DaveBr on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 8:39 am

Pat Murphy wrote:The charge is ridiculous, Just build the price into it. I run a Bed and Breakfast. Do I charge for bed and separately for Breakfast....No, it's just silly.


But one can attend the show without taking a car. If you offered breakfast to non-residents you presumably wouldn't charge them for a room they hadn't used?
Dave Brenchley Photography
http://www.davebrenchley.co.uk
DaveBr

Re: Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Postby aknott68 on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 9:26 am

DaveBR my apologies for aiming my initial response at you I don't know how I picked up your name but I agree you made no offensive comments to please accept my apology

Andygolfer

Thanks for your thoughts about the Saturday "evening show" and flight line - its exactly along those lines that my mind was thinking given the logistics point that you highlight and I recognise.

PAt Murphy- you seem to demonstrate a response that appears common in this forum of making an attack on something that someone says "You'r facing the sun deal with it or don't bother" -I don't know you, not spoken to you and therefore don't see why this needs to be such an attacking statement. The fact is that it is head on and I'd rather here suggestions from people as to how to deal with it other than just take pictures on one half of the airfield - ie pointing at the eastern end.


I don't believe my comments were offensive or controversial, so please refrain from such attacks in the future.
Last edited by aknott68 on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
aknott68

Re: Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Postby Thoughtful_Flyer on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 10:31 am

andygolfer wrote:
aknott68 wrote: I always take a picnic anyway so I can stay in the enclosure all day (I don't do the museum on show days) but have to add that since the permanent on site cafes (Wingco Joes etc) were franchised out their prices have leapt and whereas I used to support them on non show days (and get my discount) I have now started taking a packed lunch instead, I do feel they have that bit wrong. There- I've given a bit of balance to my offering!

andy


I think they have always been franchised, the strangly named "Digby Trout Catering Ltd" at one point.

What used to be WingCo Joe's, now The Workshop Restaurant IIRC was doing cooked breakfast for £6 yesterday (£4.80 with member's discount). OK not especially cheap but not bad as these things go and you at least got a proper plate, knife and fork and table service! Not particularly busy either at 10.30.
Thoughtful_Flyer

Re: Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Postby andygolfer on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 10:34 am

Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:
andygolfer wrote:
aknott68 wrote: I always take a picnic anyway so I can stay in the enclosure all day (I don't do the museum on show days) but have to add that since the permanent on site cafes (Wingco Joes etc) were franchised out their prices have leapt and whereas I used to support them on non show days (and get my discount) I have now started taking a packed lunch instead, I do feel they have that bit wrong. There- I've given a bit of balance to my offering!

andy


I think they have always been franchised, the strangly named "Digby Trout Catering Ltd" at one point.

What used to be WingCo Joe's, now The Workshop Restaurant IIRC was doing cooked breakfast for £6 yesterday (£4.80 with member's discount). OK not especially cheap but not bad as these things go and you at least got a proper plate, knife and fork and table service! Not particularly busy either at 10.30.


Maybe I should get up earlier then! sounds very reasonable so apologies but when I went there back in the spring I thought they seemed higher prices than previously maybe they treat the earlier risers to a bargain deal :smile:
andygolfer

http://www.superguppy.co.uk



Fujifilm A235 plus a few other odds and sods
User avatar
andygolfer

Re: Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Postby Thoughtful_Flyer on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 11:18 am

andygolfer wrote:
Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:
andygolfer wrote:
aknott68 wrote: I always take a picnic anyway so I can stay in the enclosure all day (I don't do the museum on show days) but have to add that since the permanent on site cafes (Wingco Joes etc) were franchised out their prices have leapt and whereas I used to support them on non show days (and get my discount) I have now started taking a packed lunch instead, I do feel they have that bit wrong. There- I've given a bit of balance to my offering!

andy


I think they have always been franchised, the strangly named "Digby Trout Catering Ltd" at one point.

What used to be WingCo Joe's, now The Workshop Restaurant IIRC was doing cooked breakfast for £6 yesterday (£4.80 with member's discount). OK not especially cheap but not bad as these things go and you at least got a proper plate, knife and fork and table service! Not particularly busy either at 10.30.


Maybe I should get up earlier then! sounds very reasonable so apologies but when I went there back in the spring I thought they seemed higher prices than previously maybe they treat the earlier risers to a bargain deal :smile:


Their normal lunchtime menu seems pricey for what it is. I have not sampled it since the change of brand but maybe trying to be something it is not and charging what I would assume to be "London" prices. But then I am out of touch. If it is not viable I imagine it will change again before long.

I don't know if the breakfast price was an airshow special? If so it worked as they relieved me of £4.80 to supplement my picnic! Not 5 star but quite respectable.
Last edited by Thoughtful_Flyer on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughtful_Flyer

Re: Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Postby andygolfer on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 11:21 am

thanks for the response,

it was a lunch that I had there that put me off a bit because of the price so maybe I was partly right after all. time will tell if it changes

andy
andygolfer

http://www.superguppy.co.uk



Fujifilm A235 plus a few other odds and sods
User avatar
andygolfer

Re: Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 11:45 am

In fairness to Duxford, when I've been on non-show days, the permanent catering concessions have always been pretty decent in terms of quality, although a little pricey. It's the grease wagons that roll up on show days that people have an issue with.
Dan O'Hagan

Re: Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Postby Rockhopper on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 12:01 pm

I imagine they charge for parking because you can use the free park and ride at Trumpington (although you still pay £2 to park there for the day). Motorbikes are free to park on the airfield (which is what I did) although bizarrely they took all the M11 traffic off at junction 11 and then on a ten mile scenic tour of Cambridgeshire ending up back at the junction 10 roundabout on the motorway which bikes had to go around to go into the main entrance!

The food prices are set by the stall holders - i noticed those closest to the entrance were more expensive that those further away (by £1 per item). I imagine they price their items as high as they can get away with (as most business owners would do - its not a charity after all). I took my own food and water.

I saw no step ladders or windbreaks or even people standing on huge camera boxes which was very nice!

I left while the Reds were on and rode straight out without needing to stop except for the lights.

I enjoyed the day although my 300mm lens struggled a bit but these days I go to watch the planes rather than take photos - its much more fun to watch them in real life instead of through a viewfinder :-)
User avatar
Rockhopper

Re: Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Postby jules48 on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 12:09 pm

I wonder how many people commenting on here support and watch a football team and pay ridiculous prices to watch 90 minutes of that.As so many say prices for all airshows are known well in advance so you make your choice and budget accordingly.Yes food can be expensive but surely if you are a regular airshow devotee you know this and take a packed lunch or buy something on the way.I have never been to an airshow at Duxford but it must cost a fortune to maintain all the aircraft they have there and yes they charge when no airshows are on but you have a choice so make it.either go or not
jules48

Re: Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Postby Thoughtful_Flyer on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 12:26 pm

Dan O'Hagan wrote:In fairness to Duxford, when I've been on non-show days, the permanent catering concessions have always been pretty decent in terms of quality, although a little pricey. It's the grease wagons that roll up on show days that people have an issue with.


Seemed to be a different company providing them this time.

I didn't sample them personally but, from what I saw, I thought the food looked a bit better. As I said back on Friday I felt the prices were fairly steep.
Thoughtful_Flyer

Re: Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Postby Thoughtful_Flyer on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 12:29 pm

Rockhopper wrote:I imagine they charge for parking because you can use the free park and ride at Trumpington (although you still pay £2 to park there for the day). Motorbikes are free to park on the airfield (which is what I did) although bizarrely they took all the M11 traffic off at junction 11 and then on a ten mile scenic tour of Cambridgeshire ending up back at the junction 10 roundabout on the motorway which bikes had to go around to go into the main entrance!

The food prices are set by the stall holders - i noticed those closest to the entrance were more expensive that those further away (by £1 per item). I imagine they price their items as high as they can get away with (as most business owners would do - its not a charity after all). I took my own food and water.

I saw no step ladders or windbreaks or even people standing on huge camera boxes which was very nice!

I left while the Reds were on and rode straight out without needing to stop except for the lights.

I enjoyed the day although my 300mm lens struggled a bit but these days I go to watch the planes rather than take photos - its much more fun to watch them in real life instead of through a viewfinder :-)


If you know Cambridgeshire there is an even more scenic route that is far shorter and quicker.........
Thoughtful_Flyer

Re: Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Postby timuss on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 12:32 pm

Saturday was a a shame still had fun! Sunday thoroughly enjoyed it Bearcat and Fury my word what a routine! The Spit's were very nice numerous topsides by the M11 end :cool: Lovely display by the Gladiator on Sat and Sunday.

I also enjoyed the Red's i usually leave before them but with this nice light and them performing a Full display i thought i'd stick around, glad i did most enjoyable. And now the major let down the traffic chaos i know there was a accident i waited around hour and half before leaving hoping it would die down a bit how wrong was i, people barging in creating there own lanes you had people going down by the Bailey Bridge it was chaos.

I was still on the field at around 8.00 and when i had a couple of hours drive home i decided to get a room for the night, i just didn't fancy the drive after a long day at Duxford.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss
timuss

Re: Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Postby IP1960 on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 12:55 pm

A thoroughly enjoyable day, enhanced obviously by the wonderful weather, for me the spitfires being the highlight - as was mentioned previously I noticed quite a number with cameras take a few photos and then put them down and just watch, often pictures don't do the moment justice.

There were comments earlier about possible losses following the near-washout on Saturday - I suspect if there were any such losses they were cushioned somewhat by what seemed a very popular flightline walk yesterday.

I have a 2 hour journey to Duxford, so arrived just after 8 and straight in to park, left as Reds arrived and straight out. I did notice lots of cars outside the airfield along various roads and lanes and plenty of people in various gateways and fields as I left.

Despite some gloomy comments in earlier posts all in all I think yesterday showed that there is plenty of life in Duxford yet,albeit enhanced by a glorious sunny day. :biggrin:
IP1960

Re: Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Postby Dragon Rapide on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 2:37 pm

And the weather will always affect any show anywhere. And as has already been noted Duxford has rarely been washed out in a long history.

Good to hear there's lots of life in the old girl and with the three shows confirmed for next year we can look forward to lots more great warbird display.
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide
Dragon Rapide

Re: Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Postby JBartlett on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 4:40 pm

jl151080 wrote:A shame the weather spoiled the show today, but kudos to the pilots for putting on the displays they did.

.



Especially the Global Stars and Mark Jefferies they did a brilliant job, I am glad some aircraft did display like the Buchons, the two Comanche fighters Spitfires , Gloster Gladiator & Catalina. Though for next year I leave booking the tickets till the Thursday or Friday before the shows.

James
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham
JBartlett

Re: Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Postby nbaker on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 6:19 pm

JBartlett wrote:
jl151080 wrote:A shame the weather spoiled the show today, but kudos to the pilots for putting on the displays they did.

.



Especially the Global Stars and Mark Jefferies they did a brilliant job, I am glad some aircraft did display like the Buchons, the two Comanche fighters Spitfires , Gloster Gladiator & Catalina. Though for next year I leave booking the tickets till the Thursday or Friday before the shows.

James


I was really very disappointed with the weather on Saturday but many thanks to the pilots who did manage to fly, I especially enjoyed the Buchons & Spitfires and many thanks to the Mig & Vampire pilots who gave us photo ops with their fast taxiing, hope to see them in the air next year. Also really enjoyed the Global Stars those guys are nuts :clap: :shock:

Next year I will make sure I have the money for both days :wall:

Nige.
nbaker

Re: Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Postby aknott68 on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 9:28 pm

Global stars didnt seem.to be on the programme yesterday I'm guessing their slot was taken up by the Reds.
I would have loved to have watched the Reds against a gorgeous late afternoon blue sky but I had tight travel connections and wanted to make sure I got to Cambridge early. I have to say shuttle bus service is excellent and especially as ot is free.
aknott68

Re: Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Postby Bosberg on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 7:35 am

I'd like to echo some of the other comments and thank the pilots for their efforts on Saturday. I travel up from Plymouth and having to book accommodation in advance I always need to pay for my tickets well before the event. Still had a great day and my young daughter loved the Globalstars and the Mig and Vampires. Planning next year already. :smile:
Bosberg

Re: Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Postby Pat Murphy on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 8:34 am

aknott68 wrote:PAt Murphy- you seem to demonstrate a response that appears common in this forum of making an attack on something that someone says "You'r facing the sun deal with it or don't bother" -I don't know you, not spoken to you and therefore don't see why this needs to be such an attacking statement. The fact is that it is head on and I'd rather here suggestions from people as to how to deal with it other than just take pictures on one half of the airfield - ie pointing at the eastern end.


I don't believe my comments were offensive or controversial, so please refrain from such attacks in the future.


aknott68. Err whoa back up please. It was not an attack on you and neither was my statement meant to be offensive in any way. I should have added a :smile: to demonstrate this. When I said "deal with it" I meant that we all have to deal with it or just not take the shot. The tone was in no way meant to criticise yours or anyone else's photographic skills. As for dealing with it, I tried adding some exposure compensation and using partial metering. I'll wait for someone far more skilled to come in and tell me I'm wrong :grin:

It wasn't meant as an "attack" and I'm sorry if you felt it sounded as such.....there's quite enough trolling on the internet as it is.

Pat :smile:
Last edited by Pat Murphy on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.northwalesbreaks.co.uk
Formerly known as Ilovelightnings
User avatar
Pat Murphy

Re: Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Postby aknott68 on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 8:46 am

Pat

Sorry I didn't mean to sound so defensive, probably a consequence of reading so many posts on here that seem to be quite confrontational - but appreciate the message.

Andy
aknott68

Re: Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Postby Pat Murphy on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 8:58 am

aknott68 wrote:Pat

Sorry I didn't mean to sound so defensive, probably a consequence of reading so many posts on here that seem to be quite confrontational - but appreciate the message.

Andy


No problem, hope you enjoyed the show...I'll get round to posting my shots In my "Review of the year"
when the Guesthouse quietens down a bit :grin:
http://www.northwalesbreaks.co.uk
Formerly known as Ilovelightnings
User avatar
Pat Murphy

Re: Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Postby R4118 on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 9:21 am

I visited the show on Saturday. As I had to pay in advance, I had no choice.

The lesson I have learned (the hard way) is that, as long as there is the advance ticket policy, I will from now on book only the week before the show. Of course the weather is nothing you can blame the organisers for, but this is an outdoor event of 3hours, so weather is a major factor.
With the change in ticket policy, I have to adapt to those changes. As a lot of people will, I suspect.

Better luck next time.....
2017
Frisian Flag
La Ferté-Alias
Florennes Tactical Weapon Meet
Geilenkirchen
Legends
RIAT
Biggin Hill
Sanicole
Duxford
User avatar
R4118

Re: Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Postby aaron0288 on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 11:10 am

R4118 wrote:I visited the show on Saturday. As I had to pay in advance, I had no choice.

The lesson I have learned (the hard way) is that, as long as there is the advance ticket policy, I will from now on book only the week before the show. Of course the weather is nothing you can blame the organisers for, but this is an outdoor event of 3hours, so weather is a major factor.
With the change in ticket policy, I have to adapt to those changes. As a lot of people will, I suspect.

Better luck next time.....



I've never understood why people don't do this in the first place. Surely, as Brits, it's common sense to wait and see what the weathers doing...
aaron0288

Re: Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Postby Rockhopper on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 11:24 am

Exactly what I did - booked my ticket for the Sunday on Friday morning when i had a fairly good idea of what the weather was going to be. Of course you are taking a risk that the event is going to have sold out if you leave it so late.
User avatar
Rockhopper

PreviousNext

Return to IWM Duxford Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests