American Air Show 28-29 May

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Tim N

Re: American Air Show 28-29 May

Post by Tim N »

The paucity of the crowd is down to the all ticket policy.
The average airshow attendee isn't likely to be concerned with crowd line distances.
Not all members of these airshow crowds are as anal as us , planning days in advance, many make last minute decisions to go.

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

From a photographic point of view at the tank bank end, compared to previous spring events, I though it was poor show.

The only really good displays were the PDF who were obviously flying under their own regulations and the RAF Typhoon that was pulling loads and loads of G.

Almost all the faster warbirds (Mustangs, Hurricanes, Spits, Buchons etc) did not do a single top side pass and just seemed to be content on lining up parallel to the runway for a boring side on fly by down the line. All of a sudden they do not seem to be able to fly round the corner of the crowd line any more.

The Zero seem to meander with no obvious purpose to the display and the only top side was a wing waggle at the middle of the crowd line.

As far as the higher dynamic aeros, they looked too far away and I felt more of an onlooker than a spectator.

I did got decent top side with Cosmic Wind despite its small size and of some of he slower lighter aircraft.

Not good enough for me to go back a second day so I have saved myself some money.

Landing of both Daks at the same time was very good though.

Martin Eames

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Tim N wrote:The paucity of the crowd is down to the all ticket policy.
The average airshow attendee isn't likely to be concerned with crowd line distances.
Not all members of these airshow crowds are as anal as us , planning days in advance, many make last minute decisions to go.

Agree, Ive not done the advance tickets shows avoided them or have watched outside.

austinp

Post by austinp »

Hi all.

Been interesting reading the posts today, gives an idea of things to come at Duxford.

Hate to say it, but I'm all for advance tickets only. I think it gives IWM an idea of crowds, especially with capacity to the venue. It will be interesting to see how things go in light of the crazy rules now being imposed.

One thing that does concern me, is a few people mentioning car park charges. I didn't believe it until I read it on IWM site. What the hell are they thinking?? It's gonna cause a reduction on people going surely. Is it here to stay, or just a one off? I've messaged IWM, so will paste any reply here.

I've been going to Duxford air shows for around 15 years, I hope to add to this, but fear for the future of this event :-s

Phil

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

austinp wrote:One thing that does concern me, is a few people mentioning car park charges. I didn't believe it until I read it on IWM site. What the hell are they thinking?? It's gonna cause a reduction on people going surely. Is it here to stay, or just a one off?

Not sure about future IWM shows, but I believe they they are not having the parking charge for Flying Legends, but you still need to order a free car park pass on the website.

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Screechy wrote:For the first time in many many years i''ve not bothered to go to Duxford and it doesn't sound like i'm missing anything either. Bring on Florennes in a months time where we will be treated like adults and allowed to see aircraft doing unthinkable things like using flares and flying within a few miles of the crowdline :shock:

Uhm... have you been to a Belgian show since 1997? We have had this distance thing going since then. It's why we go abroad :-) Nothing can be as bad as Zhukovsky in this aspect, I think.
Last edited by Chrisse on Sat 28 May 2016, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Albion143

Post by Albion143 »

JJC wrote:
Albion143 wrote:
Adie1980 wrote:
Albion143 wrote:Got to say the new rules don't seem to be that bad watching this. Thought it would be worse but quite good so far. Sun is coming out as we speak!!! What other Airshow will you see the French and a kc-135 at this year?!?!?

RIAT? :tumbleweed:

Try again!!! No French and certainly won't be a KC-135 flying!!!

The 'French' will be at RIAT. Just not the 'the French' you're talking about...:whistle:

Ok maybe I didn't word it correctly but you catch my drift, on a side note the Patrouille weren't that great today

Kirfloof

Post by Kirfloof »

Definitely wasn't 'legends' crammed today, I got there around noon and got parked much closer to the land warfare hall than usual. Plenty of folks still about without feeling like sardines.

A second pass of the KC would have been nice, but having the boom extended was certainly a great touch I've not seen before.

Highlights for me was the Huey and the Skyvan. Lowlight was the very poor conditions, I'm surprised I've had any keepers at all from all the heavy murk in the air. Very short display from Sally B as well I thought.

AFC

Post by AFC »

Albion143 wrote:
JJC wrote:
Albion143 wrote:
Adie1980 wrote:
Albion143 wrote:Got to say the new rules don't seem to be that bad watching this. Thought it would be worse but quite good so far. Sun is coming out as we speak!!! What other Airshow will you see the French and a kc-135 at this year?!?!?

RIAT? :tumbleweed:

Try again!!! No French and certainly won't be a KC-135 flying!!!

The 'French' will be at RIAT. Just not the 'the French' you're talking about...:whistle:

Ok maybe I didn't word it correctly but you catch my drift, on a side note the Patrouille weren't that great today

They were from where I was :ninja: :grin:
Them, the bronco and the typhoon were the stars of the show for me :rock:

edit: before anyone says anything, no I was not on the mound

DirtyFokker

Post by DirtyFokker »

Went today. The show was pretty good IMHO! Lowlights for me were the lighting (no fault of Duxford, obviously), and trying to redeem my Programme voucher! The voucher states:
You'll need to show this e-ticket at any IWM Duxford Retail shop to pick up your copy
I decided to use the following IWM retail shop:

Guess what? .. they don't accept programme vouchers, even though they sell programmes :roll: .... how stupid! :pinkwafer:.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

i liked the big screen idea however the part that slightly annoyed me was the interval at about 3:15. Duxfords always been about non stop action

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Great show. Sally B in formation with the Mustangs, and Messerschmitt tail chase the absolute highlight. Dynamic displays - didn't feel they were significantly different. Although, it was certainly one of the quieter shows in recent memory - maybe a good thing! Pearl Harbour segment felt a little disjointed would be the only criticism.

Duxford isn't dead, as some may have you believe. :up:

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

well said it was still busy just more space between the cars and the crowd and more open areas. Buchons and Mustangs were my highlight too

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Yes the Buchons and the Mustangs were a highlight of mine, also the two ship of the Dakota's I really enjoyed aswell.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

The Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight flew somewhere nearer London from what i could see!
Felt as though the Bronco and Typhoon were the only ones that felt at a normal distance.
10 years ago i remember mustangs giving really really low passes much closer! Oh well its not ten years ago today.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Wes_Howes wrote:the C-47 pairs landing on the grass runway was absolutely epic! :rock:

Intrigued by this. I was under the impression that if tank bank was open, the grass runway was off limits? If they're carrying on as normal, why is Legends looking to do away with tank bank?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

rob68

Post by rob68 »

As wes said. I put camera down and watched. All that has happened and as Brian stated the centre line has moved

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Crowd any bigger today?

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

It wasn't overly packed yesterday but there was still a reasonable crowd there.
ImageIMG_1637 by Peter Hurley, on Flickr
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

I'm a supporter of Duxford.

Ticket prices are a (small) factor but as somebody has already said, it is £18 into the museum anyway so if it was going to be a good day I can justify it no problems.

The line up here wasn't bad but not exciting either.

But as an American friend said " this is one lame ass airshow!" after watching the Mustang 'display' somewhere near Stanstead He is not wrong. I will probably not go back to an airshow here - I will visit the museum again.

The best part by far is seeing the taxying aircraft - perhaps 'airshows' should now be about taxying displays rather than flying. I am being serious - best part by far was seeing aircraft do power checks close by

Once the wheels leave the ground they are too far away to make an impact - to those who say they can't see much change - I disagree - the whole flying display seems to sterile - it is pointless.

Very weak crowd too - It seems the general public have picked up that this is not an exciting event - not sure if it is restrictions or line up?

It is all sad really.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Andyph wrote:I'm a supporter of Duxford.

Ticket prices are a (small) factor but as somebody has already said, it is £18 into the museum anyway so if it was going to be a good day I can justify it no problems.

The line up here wasn't bad but not exciting either.

But as an American friend said " this is one lame ass airshow!" after watching the Mustang 'display' somewhere near Stansted He is not wrong. I will probably not go back to an airshow here - I will visit the museum again.

The best part by far is seeing the taxying aircraft - perhaps 'airshows' should now be about taxying displays rather than flying. I am being serious - best part by far was seeing aircraft do power checks close by

Once the wheels leave the ground they are too far away to make an impact - to those who say they can't see much change - I disagree - the whole flying display seems to sterile - it is pointless.

Very weak crowd too - It seems the general public have picked up that this is not an exciting event - not sure if it is restrictions or line up?

It is all sad really.

I will agree with most of what you say, the displayed to me were flat and sterile, coming in from the tank bank end at a fair distance away then turning away from the crowd even further. From about midway through the show I started to notice a lot of cameras put down and people just sat watching.
Think it was hard, challenging or whatever for someone with a DSLR and they might not return, how will Joe Public react when they get home and find there photos taken on the iphone or whatever they use looking like pesky gnats instead of something that resembles an aircraft.
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Andyph wrote:The best part by far is seeing the taxying aircraft - perhaps 'airshows' should now be about taxying displays rather than flying. I am being serious - best part by far was seeing aircraft do power checks close by

This is what I said about Old Warden's first show. It had the feel of a fly-in, but airshow tickets are too expensive to keep going just for stuff that's parked and taxying.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

After the airshow in the general vicinity of Old Warden a few weeks ago, the consensus was that it was the rules to blame, and not Shuttleworth. Should we be cutting Duxford more slack on this?

To some extent, I guess we should, given the CAA lunacy is out of their hands, but equally the advance tickets, parking charges and weak line-up are down to them.

Duxford airshows and their continuation were always due to be reviewed in the aftermath of this show, one hopes this is the case and that enthusiasts are engaged and consulted on how best to repair the quite obvious damage.

Nobody wants Duxford, for all its many flaws, to die as a venue, but it has needed a huge makeover for many years. And that makeover needs to start on Monday morning.

Turn the place into the Old Warden of warbirds. Look to the template there that has made shows so successful. Duxford should be a joy to attend - but how many of us have come away thoroughly cheesed off by the experience?

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Crowd any bigger today?

There does appear to be more people about today. I was told more tickets were sold for today than yesterday.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Pen Pusher wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:Crowd any bigger today?

There does appear to be more people about today. I was told more tickets were sold for today than yesterday.

Brian

Would the Reds have anything to do with that?.
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens