Tank Bank / Gold dilemna

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Col. Chibani

Tank Bank / Gold dilemna

Post by Col. Chibani »

Hello,

This year will be my third coming to Duxford (the first time being 20 years ago for the Spitfire “Diamond Jubilee”, and the second 2 years ago). The last time, with a standard admission ticket, I was lucky enough to find a not-so-bad spot despite a not-so-early arrival, just behind the barriers of a taxiway access, from which I was able to catch good shots (see my 2014 Flickr gallery). However, I had to stand the whole afternoon, as access to this barrier was to be left unobstructed.
Since then, I heard about the “Tank Bank”. I am considering a crack at it this year, but I want to know how early I had to arrive to ensure a good place, and if it is worth it, even if crowded (in terms of visibility and photo opportunity). Is it also possible / good-mannered to come, unfold a chair, load it with some stuff to make it “reserved” and then go and visit the static park and museums, being sure to find it back as I left it, and not pushed aside by some angry spectators or unrespectful spotters?

My other option is going “Gold”.
Is it suitable for getting good shots (including aircraft taking off and low passes)?
Do I have also to arrive early to get front seats?
Is there a “spotter” zone to avoid spoiling the view of people seating if I want to stand to get better view of to use a tripod, as in RIAT?

rob68

Re: Tank Bank / Gold dilemna

Post by rob68 »

I've only done a seated enclosure a few times, depends on what you want but as they are flat, personally I think they are a pain the .......

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Col. Chibani wrote:Hello,

Is it also possible / good-mannered to come, unfold a chair, load it with some stuff to make it “reserved” and then go and visit the static park and museums, being sure to find it back as I left it, and not pushed aside by some angry spectators or unrespectful spotters?

It is possible to do that, many do, but IMO it is certainly not good-mannered to do so. At a certain large airshow in the States, if a seat is left unoccupied on the crowd line it is removed and placed at the back. Love to see something like that happen here, but it's unlikely I suppose.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Col. Chibani

Post by Col. Chibani »

AlexC wrote:
Col. Chibani wrote:Hello,

Is it also possible / good-mannered to come, unfold a chair, load it with some stuff to make it “reserved” and then go and visit the static park and museums, being sure to find it back as I left it, and not pushed aside by some angry spectators or unrespectful spotters?

It is possible to do that, many do, but IMO it is certainly not good-mannered to do so. At a certain large airshow in the States, if a seat is left unoccupied on the crowd line it is removed and placed at the back. Love to see something like that happen here, but it's unlikely I suppose.

On the other hand, if I make the effort to wake up & come early to have a good spot, I don't want to have to keep it half a day, not being able to go and visit the museums or static park by fearing to be dislodged by people that arrived at the last moment. As for myself, I wouldn't dare to touch a chair which is not mine, even if unoccupied.
Maybe I should bring a dog :whistle: .

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

I've found at Duxford that no matter how early I arrive (normally with 30 minutes of gates open) it's almost impossible to get a spot along the crowd line in front of the tank bank. The bank itself isn't quite so bad but if you were to leave finding a spot until nearer show start you'd struggle. OK, some people find it bad mannered but with so many people roping off vast areas for themselves setting up a single chair is nothing and as such I'd suggest an attitude of 'If you can't beat them, join them'.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Col. Chibani

Post by Col. Chibani »

Thanks Baron for your feedback.

Roping an area is something I've never seen in France and, when you seen how the average French ususally deals with official ropes, I estimate the life of "private" ropes as less than a second.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Col. Chibani wrote:Thanks Baron for your feedback.

Roping an area is something I've never seen in France and, when you seen how the average French ususally deals with official ropes, I estimate the life of "private" ropes as less than a second.

Colonel, I've seen what happens to ropes at La Ferté Alais!
Unfortunately there are some people at Duxford in particular that make it quite inhospitable. Imagine if you will an area big enough for 4 or 5 chairs sectioned off by rope and windbreakers with 2 people inside. A little bit of French values would be good at Duxford!
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Col. Chibani

Post by Col. Chibani »

The Baron wrote:A little bit of French values would be good at Duxford!

This is why I'm coming! :biggrin:

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

The Baron wrote:Unfortunately there are some people at Duxford in particular that make it quite inhospitable. Imagine if you will an area big enough for 4 or 5 chairs sectioned off by rope and windbreakers with 2 people inside.

A common problem at Duxford.

The US airshow that I was referring to is Oshkosh. If you set up your seats at the front and wander off the 'powers that be' will collapse them (they call them 'lawn chairs' over there) and put them at the back of the crowd, they are quite ruthless! Incidentally, there is no actual barrier there, just a faint line in the grass, but if you dare to put a toe over that line, they are down on you like a ton of bricks! However, that rarely happens as almost everyone knows the rules and follows them. It's all very civilised, and the folks at Oshkosh could teach us a thing or two about about manners that's for sure.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Post by Hatstand »

The Baron wrote:I've found at Duxford that no matter how early I arrive (normally with 30 minutes of gates open) it's almost impossible to get a spot along the crowd line in front of the tank bank.

Within 30 minutes of gates open? Silly, even 30 minutes before gates open is not early enough...!

Try 15 hours or more before the gates open.

ie. visit the museum the day before, and chain your chair to the fence next to all the others...!
Goodbye 600D... Hello FZ150!

Grunt087

Post by Grunt087 »

I come to the show on the shuttle bus from the train station which doesn't arrive at the show till 9 am. Most of the fence line is taken by then. I can usually make it to tank hill and claim a spot on top of the hill. You can get shots above the crowd of the landings but the taxi in view is blocked. If you put a chair or blanket down that is usually enough ensure your spot will be free when you get back from a food run. It also helps to ask someone next to you to keep an eye on your chair. In ten years I have never had anyone take my spot or chair while I have been away. The bigger problem I have after getting there early and then right as the show begins people crowd right in front of you blocking your view and the swing of your 600mm lens. If you want a front row spot get there as early as you can look for small gaps on the fence line. Another tip is to look for older people with chairs but with no cameras and stand behind them and shoot above their heads from the second row. If you are polite and ask in a nice way most people will work with you. Stand next to me and I will point out the incoming planes and move to allow you get your shots. Stand in front of me and I will be tempted to accidentally smack you in the back of the head with a 150-600mm Sigma. I wont do it but I will be tempted. Have fun.

rob68

Post by rob68 »

Off topic but how you getting on with the sigma 150-600 and what are you using it with?

Col. Chibani

Post by Col. Chibani »

rob68 wrote:Off topic but how you getting on with the sigma 150-600 and what are you using it with?

rob68, I have the 150-500 mm, but not the 150-600mm ... yet.
Considering it (Sport version), but have to negociate with my Chancellor of the Exchequer first.
My camera is a Nikon D7100.

Have a look at my Flickr gallery !