No access to the "Tank Bank"?

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
capercaillie

Re: No access to the "Tank Bank" rumour - NOT TRUE

Post by capercaillie »

CJS wrote:
Harvo266 wrote:Would anyone be able to advise me on if the Tank Bank is good for the Red Arrows and Typhoon?

It's better for spectators to be honest.

ba-dum, tish! :grin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

Rob Leigh wrote:"There are no changes to the east end of the IWM Duxford site or to the tank bank area for the American Air Show."

It's interesting that they've qualified this response. Does this suggest that things will be different for Legends?

From a conversation I've just had with someone high up in the Duxford organisation, the crowd line is being moved back for Legends rather than the display line being pushed further away. Same result as far as overall distance from the flying is concerned but obviously will have an impact on from where people can watch the action.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Inside the buildings with thicker glass installed and all wearing safety helmets and goggles is the latest suggestion. :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Ah well, Looks like the Manhattan Dolls and the Models shops will be gawked at a lot longer than the Aeroplanes this year then.

I will make my mind up after attending the show. Hopefully it wont be my last.

Do we have to bring our own yellow safety vest this year?
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

King Cobra wrote:
Rob Leigh wrote:"There are no changes to the east end of the IWM Duxford site or to the tank bank area for the American Air Show."

It's interesting that they've qualified this response. Does this suggest that things will be different for Legends?

From a conversation I've just had with someone high up in the Duxford organisation, the crowd line is being moved back for Legends rather than the display line being pushed further away. Same result as far as overall distance from the flying is concerned but obviously will have an impact on from where people can watch the action.

I wonder if that just be at the Tank Bank area to keep the crowd the same distance all the way along, it comes noticeably closer to the display line at that end (which probably explains it's popularity).

If it's moved back the whole length then we will be standing on top of the VC.10, a good view from the T tail no doubt but a bit dodgy. :grin:

A bit more seriously, it could get crowded unless they can move some of the airliners elsewhere for the show - I wonder if that's apossibility?

Georgeconna - don't wear yellow - you will get covered in little black bugs, I did that once and it was a nightmare :sad:
andy
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

andygolfer wrote:
King Cobra wrote:

I wonder if that just be at the Tank Bank area to keep the crowd the same distance all the way along, it comes noticeably closer to the display line at that end (which probably explains it's popularity).

If it's moved back the whole length then we will be standing on top of the VC.10, a good view from the T tail no doubt but a bit dodgy. :grin:

A bit more seriously, it could get crowded unless they can move some of the airliners elsewhere for the show - I wonder if that's apossibility?

Georgeconna - don't wear yellow - you will get covered in little black bugs, I did that once and it was a nightmare :sad:
andy

The impression I got was the crowd line was being moved in its entirety rather than just one section but I may have misunderstood the finer detail. As always, we'll find out on the day. It was also mentioned in the conversation that there will be a major lock down of the naughty field, the aim being to deny access completely.
Re not wearing yellow - you are sooo right about that.

rob68

Post by rob68 »

Did that once, wore yellow. Never again. White is a bit of a no no as well. Little buggers drop off into your sandwiches if your not carefull

carl hammond

Post by carl hammond »

King Cobra wrote:The impression I got was the crowd line was being moved in its entirety rather than just one section but I may have misunderstood the finer detail. As always, we'll find out on the day. It was also mentioned in the conversation that there will be a major lock down of the naughty field, the aim being to deny access completely.
Re not wearing yellow - you are sooo right about that.

Is the highlighted not the case already? I was led to believe that no one could access such a place now due to the council closing off the roads allowing access to the fields and as the fences are in place then anyone found within the fields could be prosecuted for tresspassing?

Exiler

Post by Exiler »

Just a quick update, I received the below earlier from the IWM:

Hi ****, thanks for getting in touch. I've just checked in with the team and they've advised that the distances for flying aircraft at IWM air shows have not changed this year. Revised CAA legislation has required that the 50 and 100 metre distances are not utilised, meaning that pilots fly to the 150, 230 and 450 metre lines.

There are no changes to the east end of the IWM Duxford site or to the tank bank area at the present time.

They've said that following the recent CAA review, further enhanced safety measures will be employed to ensure that IWM Duxford air shows are as safe as possible for everyone involved. It is not safe to occupy the fields immediately south of the runway during the air show. In support of this, Grange Road will be closed during air show days. There are no plans to close any other roads around IWM Duxford.

I hope that helps, apologies for the delay in getting back to you. Thanks

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Hope no one had planned on being on the Tank Bank for Legends. :whistle:

NOTAM issued
L3500/16: Duxford: Aerodrome work in progress
Q) EGTT/QFAHW/IV/NBO/A/000/999/5205N00008E005

WORK IN PROGRESS. ERECTION OF WESTERN BOUNDARY FENCE. PSN
520526N 0000651E

FROM: 16 Jun 2016 08:00 GMT (09:00 BST) TO: 30 Jun 2016 23:59 GMT (01 Jul 00:59 BST)

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

It's totally pathetic. What a crazy world we seem to be living in. It's not as though Duxford even has a half decent crowd line in the first place. It's a shame but I will probably never go to a Duxford display again.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

I see that the early bird ticket offer is extended until Monday. Not selling well? :dunno:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Good, more room for the rest of us. :biggrin:

The display datum is being based on the crowd line along airliner row which means the display can now be brought closer to the crowd line which couldn't be done with that dog leg leading up to the Tank Bank. Last heard :roll: , the crowd line on the Jet Pan was being moved forward, in line with the airliner row crowd line, to provide extra room.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Pen Pusher wrote:Good, more room for the rest of us. :biggrin:

The display datum is being based on the crowd line along airliner row which means the display can now be brought closer to the crowd line which couldn't be done with that dog leg leading up to the Tank Bank. Last heard :roll: , the crowd line on the Jet Pan was being moved forward, in line with the airliner row crowd line, to provide extra room.

Brian

I apologise for my previous comment if as you seem to suggest that taking out the tank bank will actually improve the spectator experience.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

tankbuster wrote:I apologise for my previous comment if as you seem to suggest that taking out the tank bank will actually improve the spectator experience.

The distance will still be the same in reality as it's all still covered by the same regulations - it'll be 150m and 230m lines, but they'll be measured from the airliner fence rather than the end of tank bank. People who used to view from the airliner fence will probably see a difference, but those that frequented 'tank bank' probably won't notice any positive change, it'll just mean than the things won't be taking off/landing so close and the taxiway won't be so good for photos.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

where exactly is the cut off point? i normally go somewhere about half way between the tank bank and the AAM so im just curious. I'm going both days so i may try different view points

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

I'd like to know why it was safe to stand on the Tank Bank for the May show bit it's all of a sudden become a dangerous spot for Legends.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Perhaps the mods can now correct (or change back) the thread title.

Duxford's last rites. RIP.

Vodka

Post by Vodka »

Hell. .no tank bank!'

Ive decided not to attend legends this year, due to the clash with Riat and my fears on what may be in place to remove what made Legends so unique.

Though it was a great experience on the 'tank bank' and some wonderful photos taken there previously, I'm not surprised this is a casualty after the CAA fall out. When 24R grass is in use there has been many overflights on the crowd line as it curves round after take-off on the 'tank bank'.
A loss of power at the most critical point, take off . . . !!

It was always in the back of my mind visiting 'Legends' but we assessed the risk and would always say to ourselves. . "what's the chance ?"

Good luck those attending this year. .going to be 'snug'

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:I see that the early bird ticket offer is extended until Monday. Not selling well? :dunno:

You would (sorry if this offends anyone), be stupid to buy a ticket for Duxford instead of RIAT in light of this confirmation.

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

Vodka wrote:Hell. .no tank bank!'

Ive decided not to attend legends this year, due to the clash with RIAT and my fears on what may be in place to remove what made Legends so unique.

Though it was a great experience on the 'tank bank' and some wonderful photos taken there previously, I'm not surprised this is a casualty after the CAA fall out. When 24R grass is in use there has been many overflights on the crowd line as it curves round after take-off on the 'tank bank'.
A loss of power at the most critical point, take off . . . !!

It was always in the back of my mind visiting 'Legends' but we assessed the risk and would always say to ourselves. . "what's the chance ?"

Good luck those attending this year. .going to be 'snug'

No overflights of the crowd in the US show in May but they were landing that end but surely just moving the point at which they turn after takeoff would solve the problem.

Stagger2

Re: No access to the "Tank Bank"?

Post by Stagger2 »

You would (sorry if this offends anyone), be stupid to buy a ticket for Duxford instead of RIAT in light of this confirmation.

Stop beating about the bush! You would be absolutely stoooopid to buy a ticket to any Duxford Air-show from now onwards!!

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Having been to loads of DX shows, both IWM and Legends, I have been close to the bank on many occasions. I know the thrill, the buzz you all speak of, being almost underneath the take offs and curving flypasts. If we have now lost this close proximity, it is a pity but it will not be a deal breaker for me. I'll go to RIAT one day and give Legends a try the other - if it truly is as awful and unengaging as we all fear here, I'll review what I do in the future. I think I will still enjoy seeing the aeroplanes, even if they are a fair way away.

I was thinking about this, different generations are used to different things when it comes to airshows. Grandfathers/mothers of my generation saw a whole gammut of different types in the 50s, but then it was just 'normal', nothing out of the ordinary. Fathers and mothers of my generation would have seen a few less types maybe, but still lots when compared to what we have at shows nowadays. As for my generation, well we were lucky in the 80s and 90s, but saw the variety of types at shows through the noughties start to really dwindle, to what we have today. So, what of the next generation of airshow goers? In 10 years time, if not sooner, displays will certainly be distant, comparatively sedate showings by a tiny number of military and civil types. But in the same way that we accept things as the norm as time goes on, the next generation will also. If you don't know any different, you tend to just appreciate what you have. So no doubt airshows have changed and will change even more, but perhaps expectations of each generation will simply change with them? If Legends does still occur in 30 years time, and it is a big if, perhaps rather than moan that the aeroplanes were not right overhead, people will say 'Wow we saw a real Spitfire today' (yes just one). Times change, and I think we should try to appreciate what we can see today, because none of it may be possible tomorrow.

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

boff180 wrote:You would (sorry if this offends anyone), be stupid to buy a ticket for Duxford instead of RIAT in light of this confirmation.

My particular interest is warbirds. I'm not especially interested in watching fast jets all day.
I've never considered that this makes me 'stupid'. :roll:

Vodka

Post by Vodka »

No overflights of the crowd in the US show in May but they were landing that end but surely just moving the point at which they turn after takeoff would solve the problem.

Not as simple as just turning off the line I'm afraid. At this point airspeed is still low and reconfiguring the aircraft, undercarriage, flight surfaces, trim, Radio Comms etc . Im sure their is also a minimum fly out length immediately after take off that CAA and Duxford specify. Im sure others will clarify this?