No access to the "Tank Bank"?

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
King Cobra

Re: No access to the "Tank Bank"?

Post by King Cobra »

pb643 wrote:At the end of the day the organisers have to operate within the regulations laid down by the CAA, I don't think it is optional.

I can only guess that they must consider moving the crowdline a right royal pain in the bum. This along with all the other changes and additional costs.

I still don't understand why the tank bank was considered safe for the US show when the grass runway was in use but won't be for Legends.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

King Cobra wrote:
pb643 wrote:At the end of the day the organisers have to operate within the regulations laid down by the CAA, I don't think it is optional.

I can only guess that they must consider moving the crowdline a right royal pain in the bum. This along with all the other changes and additional costs.

I still don't understand why the tank bank was considered safe for the US show when the grass runway was in use but won't be for Legends.

But it doesn't state on Brian's post from Duxford that the tank bank changes are because of CAA regs.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

I understand it was always the plan to close off the Tank Bank for Legends, hence the very precise wording in the May show press release, saying that end of the showground would be open, for that event.

Quite why it's safer for aircraft to use the grass at one show and not another is quite baffling. But what part of any of the changes, at any of the venues have made any sense?

I'm on record as loathing "inside" at Duxford, especially Legends, but appreciate many love it. For that alone I'm sorry to see another event at another airfield absolutely wrecked, for no apparent common-sense reason.

Just hope Mr Mancus isn't coming across this year...

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

rdchawk wrote:But it doesn't state on Brian's post from Duxford that the tank bank changes are because of CAA regs.

The opening line says:

This year, air shows around the UK including the Flying Legends Air Show, have been subject to additional regulations regarding flying display permissions.

Who else besides the CAA regulates airshows and display permissions?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

King Cobra wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:I've got no problem with the Tank Bank being closed as I don't go up there.

Brian

But if it drives even more people away from attending Duxford shows then surely you'll have a problem with that?

I've not got a problem with it. Contrary to popular belief that I live at Duxford, Duxford and aeroplanes are just a hobby for me and I go there as and when I have nothing else to do. Today it was raining and I stayed in and tomorrow it's warm and sunshine but I'm off to London not Duxford. What ever happens at Duxford has got nothing to do with me as it's not my toy box so no point whingeing and moaning when things do change. If air shows stop or the site closes, so be it, I have a life and plenty other things to do and keep me occupied.

I still can't see why some people don't seem to be able to grasp or understand that straightening out the crowd line at Duxford, as they have done at Old Warden, will mean that the display line can be brought forward and closer to the crowd line. :dunno:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

So an alternate theory, the nearer the crowd line moved, the further away from the naughty field.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Assuming the display line runs parallel with the concrete runway, a safe bet. The overhead view shows the bank along the side of the land warfare Hall clearly converges toward the runway. I am not familiar how far along that banking you could previously go, but the further you go, the nearer the runway and the display lines you must be getting. Allowing the centre crowd to move further forward will not put them as near as you would be near the entrance to the land warfare Hall. So I assume that this is making the crowd line move equidistant from the runway/display line.

I can only assume that this will allow aircraft t to operate more closely at legends, than they did at the American Air Show.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

All hypothetical :whistle: but explains the theory, I hope.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

So, with a drastic reduction in crowdline space, people are more at risk from crushing and dehydration than falling aircraft.

Well done, Duxford and the CAA. Excellent work there... :wall:

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Pen Pusher wrote:All hypothetical :whistle: but explains the theory, I hope.

Brian

Exactly what I was trying to describe, thanks Brian

Phil

FERG

Post by FERG »

Anyone know if these changes impact the normal siting of the Friends enclosure?

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:So, with a drastic reduction in crowdline space, people are more at risk from crushing and dehydration than falling aircraft.

Well done, Duxford and the CAA. Excellent work there... :wall:

I don't think people need to worry about that, if the visitor numbers are anything like the May show then there will still be plenty of room. I think RIAT is far worse in that respect due to all the hospitality tents hogging the crowd line.

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

Pen Pusher wrote:
King Cobra wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:I've got no problem with the Tank Bank being closed as I don't go up there.

Brian

But if it drives even more people away from attending Duxford shows then surely you'll have a problem with that?

I've not got a problem with it. Contrary to popular belief that I live at Duxford, Duxford and aeroplanes are just a hobby for me and I go there as and when I have nothing else to do. Today it was raining and I stayed in and tomorrow it's warm and sunshine but I'm off to London not Duxford. What ever happens at Duxford has got nothing to do with me as it's not my toy box so no point whingeing and moaning when things do change. If air shows stop or the site closes, so be it, I have a life and plenty other things to do and keep me occupied.

I still can't see why some people don't seem to be able to grasp or understand that straightening out the crowd line at Duxford, as they have done at Old Warden, will mean that the display line can be brought forward and closer to the crowd line. :dunno:

Brian

Are you suggesting the display line at Old Warden has been brought closer to the crowd line?

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

I'm suggesting the fence was straightened out so it wasn't further away.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Well. Tickets are bought so it's make the best of it. Good news, as long as the weather plays ball. there will be warbirds in the sky....lots of them. :smile:

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Same here Tickets bought last month.

I usually go to the tank bank myself as it is a nice vantage point but I reckon I will leave the camera bag in the car this time as could not be arsed now taking photos at all and dragging the gear around with me as there is no chance of getting up to the Fence with the Day before chain gang sealing the areas off with their deck chairs.

Pity I did not know about this before hand as I would have stayed down at IAT instead of Traipsing up to Cambridgeshire. :wat:

Could be the last time I bother going to FL but we will see on the day and make the mind up afterwards.

cheers

George
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

Having reflected on this a while, I'm going to work on the basis it might be a positive change.

Pretty much everyone was in agreement after the May show that the show, to some extent, had been neutered. There were very few curving, topside passes, with most displays spending the majority of time turning away from the crowd. Perhaps by cutting off the dog leg and making some of the parking area no-go (I'm assuming the overflow to the west of LWH and/or the field behind LWH) this will allow the aircraft to turn onto the crowd line from behind as they have in the past. Those of us who frequented the tank bank will have to adapt and find a new favoured spot, but guess what - life goes on!

Will it be as good as pre-Shoreham? Probably not, but perhaps the organisers and pilots are working to improve what we had in May. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

(Cue everyone piling in with "Duxford's terrible", "Duxford's out to screw enthusiasts", "there will be no airshows after 2016", etc. etc... :wall: )

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

DaveBr wrote:Having reflected on this a while, I'm going to work on the basis it might be a positive change.

Pretty much everyone was in agreement after the May show that the show, to some extent, had been neutered. There were very few curving, topside passes, with most displays spending the majority of time turning away from the crowd. Perhaps by cutting off the dog leg and making some of the parking area no-go (I'm assuming the overflow to the west of LWH and/or the field behind LWH) this will allow the aircraft to turn onto the crowd line from behind as they have in the past. Those of us who frequented the tank bank will have to adapt and find a new favoured spot, but guess what - life goes on!

Will it be as good as pre-Shoreham? Probably not, but perhaps the organisers and pilots are working to improve what we had in May. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

(Cue everyone piling in with "Duxford's terrible", "Duxford's out to screw enthusiasts", "there will be no airshows after 2016", etc. etc... :wall: )

The ambulances will also have to be called to deal with your injuries from "crushing and dehydration" :grin:

EGL

Post by EGL »

Imaged posted from Flying Legends Instagram showing new areas on the East end and access up towards the start of the Land Warfare Hall so not quite as extreme as Brian's diagram but still a large spectator area being lost.

[instagram]https://www.instagram.com/p/BG6wPIAK1t0/[/instagram]

[instagram]https://www.instagram.com/p/BG6whSSK1un/[/instagram]

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

parsley wrote:The ambulances will also have to be called to deal with your injuries from "crushing and dehydration" :grin:

Except apparently Duxford is so awful nobody goes anymore...

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Elliott's nailed it with his GAR editorial.

Duxford's reputation as an airshow venue took an almighty, and deserved, pounding after the May fiasco. Closing the only decent position within the showground is another, massive body-blow. They lost the enthusiasts in May, and peed-off the families. This only further alienates their most loyal rain-or-shine customers.

Whether it's entirely self-inflicted this time, is not fully clear.
Last edited by Dan O'Hagan on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Its just so dangerous out there, where will it end?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe- ... 48?SThisFB
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

pbeardmore wrote:Its just so dangerous out there, where will it end?

Does that headteacher moonlight as head of the CAA?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

pbeardmore wrote:Its just so dangerous out there, where will it end?

(off topic) but I can understand that one, teachers aren't allowed to apply suncream to children for safeguarding reasons... so what do they do when the parents take legal action when their babies get sunburnt because they were stupid enough to send them to a sunny beach without putting suncream on (or sending them with a bottle to put on themselves) them before they left the house?