Flying Legends 2017

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
capercaillie

Re: Flying Legends 2017

Post by capercaillie »

eirik wrote:
st24 wrote:
The Baron wrote:Well I can remember Legends without the Flying Bulls in attendance.

Aah yes back in the good old days of properly painted warbirds and not super shiny marketing gimmicks!...... :smile:

Marketing or not. The logos helps keeping them in the air.

Eirik

Nah, the logos don't have any aerodynamic properties. :joystick:

I'm sure the P-38 could and would easily find a home and fly in authentic colours without corporate sponsorship. :question:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

capercaillie wrote:
eirik wrote:
st24 wrote:
The Baron wrote:Well I can remember Legends without the Flying Bulls in attendance.

Aah yes back in the good old days of properly painted warbirds and not super shiny marketing gimmicks!...... :smile:

Eirik

I'm sure the P-38 could and would easily find a home and fly in authentic colours without corporate sponsorship. :question:

It isn't an authentic aircraft though. It's had lots of changes and modifications over the years and putting it into "authentic" colours would make it just as "unauthentic" as it is now.

I also doubt it would be seen anywhere near as much and anywhere near as far as it manages to now.

As Europe's only P-38, I truly couldn't care less how it's painted or what corporate colours it wears as long it flies. It's such a rare aeroplane in Europe in being able to see one every year for the last few years has been a joy.

hmeasures

Post by hmeasures »

capercaillie wrote:
eirik wrote:
st24 wrote:

Eirik

Much like the one that was for sale on Platinum a while back? Oh wait.

Ryan hit the nail on the head with the above post :clap:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

What utter drivel.

Of course warbird operators never carry out modifications, restorations and changes to their aircraft and simply fly them as they were acquired. Take the Blenheim for example. To say any modifications couldn't be reversed to put it back to stock? I'm pretty sure Glacier Girl carries all its originally rediscovered parts unmodified as well. :whistle:

If its that unoriginal as you claim it shouldn't be at Legends anyway, I thought the show was only for the purest of pure! :question:

As for unsold warbirds for sale, some are listed for years for sale in the ever changing scene. Doesn't mean they are unwanted or won't sell.

If people like seeing flying advertising hoardings fine, its up to you, however as its proven with the hundreds of authentic warbirds currently operated around the world, its not a necessity for them to look like that.

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

I don't think we can assume a "stock" P-38 would fine a home with a European operator, regardless of whether Red Bull acquired the former 'White Lightning'. TFC was the only European P-38 operator in the 1990s, it took 11 years before another was acquired by a European operator, and more than 20 years since 'California Cutie' was lost the only prospects of a UK-based operator flying a Lightning are with the machine imported to Bentwaters for restoration some time ago.

The fact no one has bought one (and there have been machines on the market) whilst numerous other warbirds have come and gone is probably indicative of the type's appeal to a prospective owner. A twin fighter won't be cheap to operate, nor are there anywhere near as many pilots qualified to fly twins are there are singles.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for accuracy and so on, but I'll happily make an exception for the tidy Red Bull machine if that means I get to see a P-38 flying in the UK/Europe (I felt the same way about the Sea Vixen during the Red Bull years). Without it, we'd likely be denied representation of a very important USAAF type and we wouldn't have enjoyed (well...) seeing a Lightning displayed across Europe for the last decade.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

I have no great beef with Red Bull's choice of liveries. Bottom line is it's a P-38, flying, in Europe. What's the alternative?

In an ideal world, warbirds would be authentic in all regards, but unless it's your machine and your money, you take what you are given.

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

Same goes for their DC-6, Sycamore, Cobra, etc! Rather see them FLYING in corporate colours than grounded elsewhere. Given the departure of the Meteor T7 to the US, and rumours that the NF11 will be following soon, would you rather see them flying in the UK in sponsors colours or shipped off elsewhere?

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:I have no great beef with Red Bull's choice of liveries. Bottom line is it's a P-38, flying, in Europe. What's the alternative?

Fly them in a manner to the way you'd like to see warbirds flown and we may still have had an authentic one flying over here and not had to rely on an over shiny billboard?

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Spotty_Jag wrote:Same goes for their DC-6, Sycamore, Cobra, etc! Rather see them FLYING in corporate colours than grounded elsewhere. Given the departure of the Meteor T7 to the US, and rumours that the NF11 will be following soon, would you rather see them flying in the UK in sponsors colours or shipped off elsewhere?

Never seen any of the three you mention flying in the UK. Honestly couldn't care less about the DC-6 and Cobra. The Sycamore is in authentic colours just wearing a logo, therefore far more tolerable. Their Corsair is the same, so no reason why the Mitchell or Lightning couldn't wear authentic dress with the logo on top like those.

As for the Meteors, the T7 was perfect, the NF11 has been crying out for its long removed squadron bars to be put back for many a year, if they were at all to look like the Sea Vixen did when dressed as a tin can, personally I wouldn't be interested, as said previously if it floats the boat of others, bully for them. Each to their own. :biggrin:

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

capercaillie wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:I have no great beef with Red Bull's choice of liveries. Bottom line is it's a P-38, flying, in Europe. What's the alternative?

Fly them in a manner to the way you'd like to see warbirds flown and we may still have had an authentic one flying over here and not had to rely on an over shiny billboard?

Quite.

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

I note that FL have added to their list of participants and it includes a few early-model Spits and a Hurricane. They could be 'old hat' to the locals but an exciting prospect for me.

Oh, I see that the new entries don't have a square inch of polished skin-quality alclad showing on any skin surface. :wink: :smile:
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

Added today were:

Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 - Christophe Jacquard
Spitfire XIX - Christophe Jacquard
P51D Mustang "the shark" - Norwegian Spitfire Foundation
Spitfire Vb - Historic Aircraft Collection
Hurricane XII - Historic Aircraft Collection
Spitfire Ia 'AR213' - Comanche Fighters
Spitfire I X4650 - Comanche Fighters
Bristol Blenheim I - Blenheim Society/ARCo
Spitfire Ia N3200 - IWM
Buchon "Yellow 10" - ARCo
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

yannyfoxx

Post by yannyfoxx »

No BBMF at Legends, which is a shame.

Bluepig70

Post by Bluepig70 »

With the BBMF not coming to Flying Legends the flying program presently looks a bit dull. Anyone attending the last few years airshows will see a lot of familiar planes booked for this year - still waiting on the stand out booking to convince me to go this year. Still a great airshow but having been every year for the last 5 years its now loosing its appeal and may consider other shows.

john001

Post by john001 »

Really? the BBMF is not familiar as well?

The aircraft flying are 'a bit dull' - the world has gone mad.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Bluepig70 wrote:With the BBMF not coming to Flying Legends the flying program presently looks a bit dull.

Makes a change from no fast jets making the flying program look dull.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

st24

Post by st24 »

Mercifully no gliders yet!!... :facepalm: :wall: :roll: :confused:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Presumably if someone had a Horsa, it wouldn't be welcome as it doesn't have a propeller? :dunno:

st24

Post by st24 »

capercaillie wrote:Presumably if someone had a Horsa, it wouldn't be welcome as it doesn't have a propeller? :dunno:

Horsa? Yeh, that would cause many a long face.... :tumbleweed:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

capercaillie wrote:What utter drivel.

Of course warbird operators never carry out modifications, restorations and changes to their aircraft and simply fly them as they were acquired. Take the Blenheim for example. To say any modifications couldn't be reversed to put it back to stock? I'm pretty sure Glacier Girl carries all its originally rediscovered parts unmodified as well. :whistle:

If its that unoriginal as you claim it shouldn't be at Legends anyway, I thought the show was only for the purest of pure! :question:

Clearly we are never going to agree. :grin:

I would though that replicas and reproductions have always been a part of the Flying Legends lineup though.

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

Two more additions today:

Spitfire T.IX - Air Leasing
Seafire Mk.III - Air Leasing
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

yannyfoxx wrote:No BBMF at Legends, which is a shame.
Wot! I'm coming all the way from Australia and I was hoping to see the second airworthy Lanc. :sad:
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

john001

Post by john001 »

davidjones533 wrote:If the timings work for you, then you could do Yeovilton on the Saturday and Legends on the Sunday. You'll catch the Lanc and lots of other goodies over in Somerset. That's my plan!

Likewise but I am not looking forward to the drive.

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

davidjones533 wrote:If the timings work for you, then you could do Yeovilton on the Saturday and Legends on the Sunday. You'll catch the Lanc and lots of other goodies over in Somerset. That's my plan!

Thanks for the tip, David. My wife and I are attending with two friends from Australia and we're meeting two locals with whom we plan to spend the weekend in Cambridge. On our next visit, I will plan to attend more than one air show and increase my chance to see the Lanc.
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.