Problem Solving Duxford

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Dragon Rapide

Re: Problem Solving Duxford

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Apologies - shouldn't have rushed without checking.

But your following comments indicate you have missed the point I was making. The right price for a product or service is what someone will pay for it, assuming it's not a monopoly supply. You cannot be "ripped-off" if you have freedom of choice, despite what TV magazine programmes and the tabloids would have you believe.
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

st24

Post by st24 »

Dragon Rapide wrote:Apologies - shouldn't have rushed without checking.

But your following comments indicate you have missed the point I was making. The right price for a product or service is what someone will pay for it, assuming it's not a monopoly supply. You cannot be "ripped-off" if you have freedom of choice, despite what TV magazine programmes and the tabloids would have you believe.

But as was discussed on the nightshoot rip off thread, just because an affluent few will pay, it doesnt mean it's right otherwise we just enter a vortex of ever increasing prices for pretty much the same product...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Ah - so now the Duxford spectators are the "affluent few" are they? Come on........

Dragon Rapide

st24

Post by st24 »

Dragon Rapide wrote:Ah - so now the Duxford spectators are the "affluent few" are they? Come on........

No, as I said, merely using this and the nightshoot as metaphors for businesses (airshows) setting ever increasing prices for similar products that can be enjoyed elsewhere for less.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

If you genuinely believe this then what is the problem? You can simply attend those events that offer the same product for less.

For me, Duxford offers something that cannot be experienced anywhere else in the world. Therefore, for me, it remains good value.

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Fortunately businesses are free set their prices as they deem right and so inevitably you will have a range of pricing. By your definition any that charges more than another is ripping off the public. And to make a direct comparison the products offered have to be very similar otherwise you are not comparing like for like.

And with apologies for repeating myself if the public buys the product then they are not being ripped off because they have the choice not to.

Just because you and others might resent Duxford's 2016 pricing it does not mean they ripping people off.

Dragon Rapide

AMB

Post by AMB »

I can't see Duxford doing away with Advance Ticketing, as they have limited capacity and need to keep a tally of how many are attending, to avoid earlier embarrassing shows where they had to close the gates due to an unprecedented number of people turning up on the day.
I assume the car parking charges are to offset the increased CAA charges, so I can't see them doing away with that either. The root of Duxford's problems are the CAA's over-reaction to an incident outside the airfield and nothing to do with on-site safety. Until they can get the same dispensation as OW, I can't see them changing anything and will ultimately continue to drive people away with these changes.

Re the programme price - I never buy one as they are often a work of fiction, altered by the weather and aircraft availability since it was printed. No expectations = no disappointments for no shows!

Flightline walk - again an unnecessary expense as you can't go on the grass to get close, many of the aircraft with folding wings are parked too close, they are parked tail-on into the sun for most of the time and 'mechanics' and other 'friends of the pilots' frequently spoil any photos. Wait till the flying starts for me and get them taxying out.
Adrian

Tim N

Post by Tim N »

IIRC, the only occasions where Duxford have had an overcrowding problem was when there was a 'star item' eg 'Two Lancs' , 558 etc.
All I've read on here is about the lack of quality of Duxford shows now.
The return of a Mosquito to Duxford would be classed as a crowd pulling star item and then an advance ticket policy would be understandable.
At present, the return of a Mosquito looks unlikely and the Duxford advance ticket/parking charge still looks absurd.