September Air Show 2017

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
phreakf4

Re: September Air Show 2017

Post by phreakf4 »

Domvickery wrote:or why not give permits out for free but limit the number given out?

I believe disabled car passes are free, but they are limited. General car passes are not free, but it's a fair bet that they are also limited, just that the limit has not yet been reached. Some day it probably will be, if there is anything like the "Two Lancasters" situation or a weather forecast where one day is expected to have terrible weather and the other excellent weather. That's what happened at RIAT and (partially) sparked the move to advance tickets only....
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Here's the thing: I used to park next to the Land Warfare hall and I never had an issue getting out. Certainly no more of a problem than at anywhere else. I also remember there being marshals not just at the exit but on the route out too, normally near the motorbike park and where traffic split into two lanes alongside the ticket booths.
Granted I didn't attend every show but I did go to two or three a year.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

I can only assume that either you were one of those who "left early to avoid the traffic" or did the same as me, namely to hang around and watch/photograph the departures of visiting/display aircraft and eventually wander back to the car, put the chairs, cameras etc. away and then sit with a cup of tea from the flasks I always bring along whilst watching the rest of the crowd forming six or more queues onto the single lane exit in the (mistaken) belief that they would get out faster that way.

At all such events, not just air shows, it always amuses me to see the rush to join the traffic jam as soon as the event finishes. I see no point sitting in a queue burning fuel but going nowhere when waiting a while makes it unnecessary. :smile: I find the same technique works just as well at Old Warden; I am often one of the last "spectator" cars to leave the airfield.

I may well have been mistaken about the presence of marshals, but I still can not understand why the exit traffic is split into two lanes at that point when it has to merge into the single exit lane only a very short distance later.....
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Nope, used to be ready to depart ten minutes or so after the end of flying. Always have done, always will do. I think Dunsfold has been the worst I've experienced for getting out, and even then no more than 30 minutes.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

This was an really excellent Airshow, even with certain display items going U/S both days.
And the wind strength, grounding some Aircraft on the Sunday. I would say, it was as good as Flying Legends,
which I never thought I would say. The flying was brilliant, and it was more, like Duxford Airshows of the past, WW2 Fighters doing more loops etc. The lineup was varied, and display items very well chosen. I certainly got my moneys worth. I thoroughly enjoyed myself both days.

On the Sunday, the Spitfires, and other WW2 Aircraft, taxying past to takeoff, from the Tank Bank end. Where I was, was a spectacle in itself. Sally B taxying past, will live in my memory, for quite sometime. I will be counting down the days, after Christmas until the May Airshow :smile:

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Decent review, but 'at least 35-40mins' to walk back to your car?

Were you parked in Royston?

Mike

Post by Mike »

The review left me with the bizarre mental picture of Matt Nightingale sitting in his workshop in California laboriously applying chromium plating to the skin of TFC's 'chromed P-40C Warhawk'! :dizzy:

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

To put the walking distance into context, myself and Sam (Wissam24) had plonked ourselves on the M11 end, with my car being a fair distance into one of the fields past the new housing estate. Although, the pace we adopted was more 'meandering' than fast-paced walking
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

st24

Post by st24 »

Ledhead27 wrote:To put the walking distance into context, myself and Sam (Wissam24) had plonked ourselves on the M11 end, with my car being a fair distance into one of the fields past the new housing estate. Although, the pace we adopted was more 'meandering' than fast-paced walking

So about 3/4 the way along Fairfords static line?! Man up!
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

Hmm yeah when you put it like that. Perhaps not my best maths
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

AAIB report on the Mustang incident published:
https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/aaib-in ... ang-g-bixl