September Air Show 2017

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
pb643

Re: September Air Show 2017

Post by pb643 »

keithjs wrote:
pb643 wrote:Miss Helen had a chunk out of the leading edge of the port horizontal tail surface. I am not sure at what point the engine was turned off, but certainly rolled to a stop without power, having landed downwind. No obvious damage to Sharkmouth that I could see.

Sharkmouth has got a bent/chipped propeller blade (or 2?)

Yes, I saw it was getting a good looking over. Yet it landed and taxied in normally, whereas Miss Helen landed very quickly, with possibly a dead engine. I would have thought if Sharkmouth had touched with its propellor, would it not have had more damage and wanted to be on the ground a whole lot quicker?

It will e interesting to hear.

ShutterPlane

Post by ShutterPlane »

I see the price of the airshow has gone up. It's now £33.95. I paid £29.50 when I booked.
Last edited by ShutterPlane on Sat 23 Sep 2017, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Collecting Avometers

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Dan423 wrote:
Ok so with my enthusiast hat back on: I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes the car park charge is annoying but in 2017 it's to be expected to be exploited in every way on a day out, no matter what the event. It really isn't that much money: a music festival I go to charges twenty quid to park. Suck it up and enjoy what is there.

And that's the attitude than ensures events get away with ripping people off...

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Personally I think today's show was excellent, definitely helped by a brighter day than I understood to be forecast. I spent the day down at the M11 end, no rugby scrum that I saw, in fact only one or two people deep at some points. Definitely a better spot for photos. I personally enjoyed this show more than Legends. I also regret missing the May show, that looked great as well. As far as I am aware, I think I am correct in saying that Duxford is entirely unique in the world, as there is no other place that you can see multitudes of WWII aircraft taking off line abreast, an expirience I would pay for alone. I had not planned on going to this show, until I saw that children were free and a great lineup. I am so pleased I did, well done Duxford.

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

Really enjoyable day today spent down at the M11 end.
During the mass Spitfire flypast / tailchase I just put the camera down and watched with the MKI eyeball. It was a true goosebumps moment and shows why I love historic aviation.... and the best thing of all its same again tomorrow!

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:And that's the attitude than ensures events get away with ripping people off...

I'm not getting ripped off at Duxford. I thoroughly enjoy every airshow and consider them to be great value. I also like to support the IWM and the private owners, operators, pilots and volunteers who put this spectacle in front of us.

BMrider

Post by BMrider »

Grab shot of Miss Helen after sustaining a prop strike today at Duxford's Airshow, landed safely downwind, other aircraft involved was the "Sharksmouth P51, also landed safely with 2" off tip of propeller.

ImageProp Strike damage on Miss Helens Tail. by Mark Handley, on Flickr

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

BMrider wrote:Grab shot of Miss Helen after sustaining a prop strike today at Duxford's Airshow, landed safely downwind, other aircraft involved was the "Sharksmouth P-51, also landed safely with 2" off tip of propeller.

ImageProp Strike damage on Miss Helens Tail. by Mark Handley, on Flickr

Was going to say, that is no seagull

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

If the wind is south easterly I assume they are landing at the tank bank end?

pb643

Post by pb643 »

UKTopgun wrote:If the wind is south easterly I assume they are landing at the tank bank end?

Operating from M11 end.

BMrider

Post by BMrider »

Miss Helen landed Downwind, ie from the tank bank end, Sharksmouth P51 landed from the M11 end (The operating end on the day)

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
Dan423 wrote:
Ok so with my enthusiast hat back on: I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes the car park charge is annoying but in 2017 it's to be expected to be exploited in every way on a day out, no matter what the event. It really isn't that much money: a music festival I go to charges twenty quid to park. Suck it up and enjoy what is there.

You could always volunteer Dan, you'd get in for free.

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
Dan423 wrote:

Sorry Dan. Please remove the anti Dux chip from your shoulder. Today 13 Spitfires stormed up and down for 10 minutes. 6 Hurricanes flew in formation etc etc. If you were there i fail to see how you could not have enjoyed the spectacle of it all. If you weren't then you missed one of the shows of the year. £5 to park your car? About the same as a cup of expensive High street coffee. Enjoy your next one. I'd advise 1 sugar to sweeten the bitterness. :whistle:

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Oh and as spectacles go, a mention to The Great War Display Team for a thoroughly entertaining display and a top commentary team (Ben Dunnell and Colin Wilshire) talked when required and kept quiet when required :clap:

Dan423

Post by Dan423 »

I think Dan and his chip are just a bit annoyed that the anti Duxford brigade have been suppressed by yesterday's superb show. I certainly didn't feel ripped off. Dad might have done when he paid five quid for a pint of beer but nobody was forcing him too and he doesn't get out much.

I look forward to Dan and his chip embarking on a national campaign to halt the general public from getting "ripped off" at outdoor events. That or just stop with the boring, repeated same rhetoric that stains the Duxford threads on here.

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

I'm relieved to see that this incident turned out as it did, without injury to flight crew and minimal(ish) damage to both aircraft. It could have ended so much worse.

If I may comment (from afar, down here in the Her Majesty's ex-Penal Colony) on the recent debate about ticket prices for Duxford's air shows. Considering that they display aircraft types and numbers that cannot be seen anywhere else in the world, my opinion is that they represent good value for money. Sure, they cost a few quid but, man, what a feast of aircraft they put on the menu! :drool:
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Pat Murphy wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:
Dan423 wrote:

Sorry Dan. Please remove the anti Dux chip from your shoulder. Today 13 Spitfires stormed up and down for 10 minutes. 6 Hurricanes flew in formation etc etc. If you were there i fail to see how you could not have enjoyed the spectacle of it all. If you weren't then you missed one of the shows of the year. £5 to park your car? About the same as a cup of expensive High street coffee. Enjoy your next one. I'd advise 1 sugar to sweeten the bitterness. :whistle:

No chip, no bitterness. And if you had the wit to read back to what I've said, I said this was in line-up terms one of the shows of the year.

But it's too expensive. And charging a fiver for something that was free for decades, and remains free at most other shows, stinks to high heaven.

And the idiots who say "Duxford is cheap compared to concerts and football", Duxford isn't a concert or football match, it's an airshow and as such will be judged for value against other airshows.

Still, good to see you want to make another thread about me.

Carry on, children.

neilos

Post by neilos »

Paying £5 to park, annoying as it is, but that's life.

People moan about paying £5 to park, but will quite happily pay £10+, or what ever it is for overpriced food from the vendors once 'on site'

aaron0288

Post by aaron0288 »

neilos wrote:Paying £5 to park, annoying as it is, but that's life.

People moan about paying £5 to park, but will quite happily pay £10+, or what ever it is for overpriced food from the vendors once 'on site'

You don't have to pay for the overpriced food though. You have no choice with the parking. I would imagine that's what Dan is getting at and he's right.

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
Pat Murphy wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:
Dan423 wrote:

And the idiots who say "Duxford is cheap compared to concerts and football", Duxford isn't a concert or football match, it's an airshow and as such will be judged for value against other airshows.

What gives you the right to call me an idiot for expressing a different opinion to you?
I don't want to compare it to another airshow...I compare it to what I do with my lifestyle. For me, this weekend is value for money compared to other activities I enjoy.
If that makes me an idiot, then heck, at least I'm surrounded by 19,000 other idiots enjoying a great weekend while making a contribution to the historic aviation scene in this country.

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

Dan,

So you're comparing what is, in many ways, an experience that is unique, certainly in the U.K., in terms of venue and participation. Which airshows are you comparing it to?

I was at Reno last week, and the number of folks I spoke to there who would love to see an airshow at Duxford, especially once I described what one can see flying there was, frankly, astonishing.

Oh yes, and that's Reno, where I paid £15 a day to park.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

SuffolkBlue,

You think that those of us that go to Shuttleworth or East Kirkby don't contribute to the historic aviation scene? I'd argue that by not pandering to IWMs money grabbing we have more disposable income to spend supporting those historic aircraft. Two IWM shows a year equals £10 just to park, which could instead go to an organization that actually keeps an aircraft flying, or in Just Janes case, supports the plan to return it to flight. Not much I grant you, but over two years with multiple people making the same choice. I'm sure TPM or the Typhoon team would be happy for the extra cash.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Gonzo230 wrote:Dan,

So you're comparing what is, in many ways, an experience that is unique, certainly in the U.K., in terms of venue and participation. Which airshows are you comparing it to?

I was at Reno last week, and the number of folks I spoke to there who would love to see an airshow at Duxford, especially once I described what one can see flying there was, frankly, astonishing.

Oh yes, and that's Reno, where I paid £15 a day to park.

Remind me which county of England Reno sits in?

The car park tax is merely another £5 onto a ticket, it's just that Duxford don't have the balls to do it. £33 plus £5 parking sounds a lot better than a £38 airshow ticket for a circa four-hour display...

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

Dan,

Does it not encourage people to share cars? One £5 parking fee for four or more people, is that really too expensive? Or perhaps you could take public transport don't have to pay it at all.

If the £5 was added to the ticket price, wouldn't you be complaining that it wasn't fair for those who come in a packed car or by public transport?

Doesn't it make sense to limit the number of cars at Duxford, and the mechanism by which this is achieved is a car parking fee? How else would you go about it?

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

A few thoughts on the discussion.
First, without seeing the accounts, nobody on here can actually confirm that the tickets for the shows are a rip-off.

Duxford and the IWM have to run, to some extent, as a business and all their associated costs -insurance, marshalling, road signage, aviation fuel, displaying a/c fees etc will have to be paid for. The airshows are probably a main source of income which allows the museum to stay open throughout the winter when the only visitor is Penpusher.

The car park fee is an additional ticket fee - but put a family of four, or four enthusiasts, into a car and that costs drops dramatically.

You can't see the ticket cost as only for the flying - for many it's a once a year trip to the whole Duxford experience. I have a number of friends with children who go to the airshow maybe once every 2 or 3 years and see the flying as part of the day out rather than the whole. Maybe it's the enthusiasts who visit a few times a year who grumble about the "short" flying display.

I do agree that the flight line walk fee is not justifiable - but again, there is obviously a demand and the place needs to run. I remember in the dim and distant past when the majority of the a/c were outside and the museum wa sshut over the winter. It's turned into an active, world class aviation heritage centre and those of us who live near enough to visit on a fairly regular basis are the envy of enthusiasts around the world.

Just be careful what you wish for because in this day and age nothing is sacrosanct and I don't want the the shows to go the way of Mildenhall, Finningly etc and the museum become just that with lots of lovely exhibits but no "life".
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)