September Air Show 2017

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
GeorgeP

Re: September Air Show 2017

Post by GeorgeP »

The line-up looks superb, even better than FL. If the weather co-operates, you blokes should have a fab weekend. I look forward to viewing the images from this event and wish that I was there to attend... :drool:
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

I was a little underwhelmed by the pre-Legends Friday - today was great and the light was coming good from about 2pm onwards. RNHF Sea Fury turned up too - don't think that was on the list. :up:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:I was a little underwhelmed by the pre-Legends Friday - today was great and the light was coming good from about 2pm onwards. RNHF Sea Fury turned up too - don't think that was on the list. :up:

Just static for the weekend, nice to see it out and about again though.

ShutterPlane

Post by ShutterPlane »

No Red Arrows? I know it's a BoB show, but still....
Collecting Avometers

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

ShutterPlane wrote:No Red Arrows? I know it's a BoB show, but still....

They are on a their way to the Middle East.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

ShutterPlane wrote:No Red Arrows? I know it's a BoB show, but still....

The Reds are on a tour overseas.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

I left it late so I could check the weather before deciding to attend or not and having just checked on ticket prices Duxford are charging £33.95 + £5 parking, I now feel my decision on attendance has been made for me, such a shame as this looks like it could've been the only show I'd have been to with the sun out.

To think people moaned that Scampton was 5 pence more
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Don't forget to add your £6 for the flightline walk too.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Its a ridiculous price, I was hoping the weather would be good as I'd have liked to go and end the season on a relative high, but £40 + petrol & food, I'd be nearly £80 in the hole
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Domvickery wrote:I left it late so I could check the weather before deciding to attend or not and having just checked on ticket prices Duxford are charging £33.95 + £5 parking, I now feel my decision on attendance has been made for me, such a shame as this looks like it could've been the only show I'd have been to with the sun out.

To think people moaned that Scampton was 5 pence more

Indeed. Duxford really doesn't help itself.

The £5 parking charge looks like the money-grubbing obscenity it is.

This weekend has a great line-up, one of the shows of the season, but at those prices and given the venue's inherent issues, I'm not surprised you're staying away.

Future advice, join the Sally B members club, and you get free entry on non-show days - which includes the Friday before the events... Less crowded, free entry, lots of flying. And you're helping keep a great aeroplane flying.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

I've done the same waited to see which day looks the better weather wise, booked tonight for Sunday but near £40 was a big ouch. I'll also spend around £35 on petrol then there's food and what tat I'll buy so I don't expect much change from £100. I'll leave home around 5am and not get back till 10pm at the earliest.
Still I'm happy that I'll be seeing all those Spitfires and Hurricanes flying something that we don't get to see up north.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

Leeds United would have been charging me £37 to watch my team play a 2nd tier football match tomorrow afternoon. In comparison for me, a whole days entertainment at Duxford, with the line up that's on offer, is value for money. That's where I'll be instead.

Thankfully after all of the pretty mixed weather we've had this way over the last couple of months it's looking decent for both days.

Here's looking forward to an entertaining and safe end to the 2017 season.

sithrity

Post by sithrity »

I also waited to see what the weather was like, so I've booked tickets for Saturday, as I'm going to the Warren Classic & Supercar Show on Sunday.

Duxford has arranged a quality line-up this September, worth the ticket price in my opinion. If I had to pay £19 for my 6 year old, I might have been put off.
Duxford deservedly gets criticised for its flaws but, they deserve credit for getting things right this year.

The May line-up was great, as is this weekends. They gave a discount after last years washout. Has any other show done similar, apart from RIAT 2008?

They also listened to feedback regarding the shameful ticket price for 5-15 year olds. So all things considered, it should be an enjoyable day.
I don't know everything there is to know about our hobby.

Kids, aviation, missus then responsibilities, (in that order)

B_Tank88

Post by B_Tank88 »

At Duxford are we able to leave stuff in the car to go get it again just before the flying display such as chairs? So we don't have to carry it around the museum or static.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

B_Tank88 wrote:At Duxford are we able to leave stuff in the car to go get it again just before the flying display such as chairs? So we don't have to carry it around the museum or static.

I usually park by the American Air Museum which allows me to go back to the car if needed. I can't say about the parking on the other side of the road.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

ted633

Post by ted633 »

B_Tank88 wrote:At Duxford are we able to leave stuff in the car to go get it again just before the flying display such as chairs? So we don't have to carry it around the museum or static.

Yes you can, they'll stamp your hand on your way out so you can be let in again

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Ridiculous pricing, daylight robbery especially for what you get for your money. I dare say the flying display is 3 hours or so, Flightline walk has always been a con, and now paying for parking on top.This place died on its arse for me many years ago, with their attitude towards the paying public. I used to love the Autumn show, which for me was the best show of the year at Duxford. Sadly i like many others cannot see myself going ever again.
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

It really is massively overpriced.

Regardless of what is scheduled to fly, it’s compressed into 4.5 hours of flying display which is poor. With 45 plus warbirds flying that can easily be extended to 5.5 to 6 hours plus.

Then factor in that if you have been to Duxford before you’ll have more than likely walked the museum - which hardly changes month to month.... which to most will mean there is no static display to look at.

Yes there is the flightline walk for a few hours but that is at an additional cost so that can’t be factored in as static.

Therefore for the enthusiast travelling alone to meet mates at the show it costs...

Ticket £34
Car parking £5
Flightline walk £6
Total £45!!!

For that he/she gets....

4.5hrs flying
No static
A flightline walk.
A car park.
Arguably the most difficult photographic conditions at an airshow in the country unless you want to be squashed like cattle at the m11 end!

Andy

not_the_dj

Post by not_the_dj »

Flying display from 1pm till 5:30. Haven't had to pay for my son to attend and I booked ages ago so it was £20 plus the fiver to park. Seems great value to me for a whole day out.

st24

Post by st24 »

boff180 wrote:It really is massively overpriced.

Regardless of what is scheduled to fly, it’s compressed into 4.5 hours of flying display which is poor. With 45 plus warbirds flying that can easily be extended to 5.5 to 6 hours plus.

Then factor in that if you have been to Duxford before you’ll have more than likely walked the museum - which hardly changes month to month.... which to most will mean there is no static display to look at.

Yes there is the flightline walk for a few hours but that is at an additional cost so that can’t be factored in as static.

Therefore for the enthusiast travelling alone to meet mates at the show it costs...

Ticket £34
Car parking £5
Flightline walk £6
Total £45!!!

For that he/she gets....

4.5hrs flying
No static
A flightline walk.
A car park.
Arguably the most difficult photographic conditions at an airshow in the country unless you want to be squashed like cattle at the m11 end!

Andy

Well this idiot is aleady looking forward to the unbiased review! :up:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Not sure if there are any staffers there to be honest... price and personal lives keeping most away.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

I shall keep an eye on tomorrow's weather, but it is pretty expensive and that puts me off at the moment, especially having had such a good day yesterday.

Also depends on how the aircraft are parked on the flightline actually. Wind direction should dictate facing away from the crowd. That might lure me.

Smog Monster

Post by Smog Monster »

I've no issue with the price whatsoever. As others have said, it compares VERY favourably to a typical football or concert ticket which also wouldn't account for parking, food, fuel etc. And lasts a fraction of the time.

Not sure how anyone can claim the price is "ridiculous" if IWM are making a profit out of the event... as to do so there would need to be sufficient demand for tickets at the given price. This is simple economics.

I'm going tomorrow and cannot wait. Does the museum change much month to month? Of course not... but it's still a treat to see it, and I value the time before the flying starts to do just that. Might not be for everyone, but it works for me... and seemingly plenty of others.

st24

Post by st24 »

boff180 wrote:Not sure if there are any staffers there to be honest... price and personal lives keeping most away.

Understandable, still worn out after that epic Scampton weekend no doubt.....
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Smog Monster wrote:I've no issue with the price whatsoever. As others have said, it compares VERY favourably to a typical football or concert ticket which also wouldn't account for parking, food, fuel etc. And lasts a fraction of the time.

But it doesn't compare favourably to other air shows, and that is the point surely? If you want to go to a football match then go. If you want to go to an airshow then go. I'm not interested in football, or sports in general, and I don't go to many concerts but those that I have been to are around the £30 mark.
The line up this weekend does look excellent, and seven Hurricanes is really tempting, but I will stand by my principles and not attend until the car park charge is dropped. I'll start going through my photos from Jersey and Sion instead.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.