May Airshow

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Dan O'Hagan

Re: May Airshow

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

jalfrezi wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:Not biased at all. I visit Duxford many times each year on my Sally B membership, and spend money in their catering outlets, but I will not support an airshow venue which goes out of its way to overcharge and find new ways of squeezing its customers.

So why bother coming on this thread in the first place, as you're basing your negative comments on hearsay as you weren't even there! Your comment about the flightline walk was incorrect, and Duxford aren't alone in charging for that sort of thing. Yes the parking charge sucks, but you have a choice not to go.

If you feel so strongly why not take it up with IWM Duxford?

The absolute state of this forum now, when people aren't allowed to voice an opinion. You do realise how discussion forums work, don't you?

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
jalfrezi wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:Not biased at all. I visit Duxford many times each year on my Sally B membership, and spend money in their catering outlets, but I will not support an airshow venue which goes out of its way to overcharge and find new ways of squeezing its customers.

So why bother coming on this thread in the first place, as you're basing your negative comments on hearsay as you weren't even there! Your comment about the flightline walk was incorrect, and Duxford aren't alone in charging for that sort of thing. Yes the parking charge sucks, but you have a choice not to go.

The absolute state of this forum now, when people aren't allowed to voice an opinion. You do realise how discussion forums work, don't you?

You weren't even there, and you got your facts wrong, aren't you a journalist? It's like me commenting on your work when I've never even read it!

This thread is about the May Airshow, go start another post about Duxford if you want a rant.

And as for you referring to volunteers and IWM staff as Stasi, that's pretty poor form even by your standards.

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Fri 17 Aug 2018, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Fri 17 Aug 2018, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JonG96

Post by JonG96 »

Flare Path wrote: Speaking on a purely performance basis, that is twice I've seen the Typhoon this year (previously at Shawbury Landowners') and both times have been thoroughly underwhelming and certainly not flown as aggressive as previous years.

Shame, I haven't been to the show but have seen some short clips about 3 minutes long on YouTube and there seems to be a fair bit of afterburner. I haven't seen the new routine in person yet though and watching it on Youtube is completely different to reality.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

I too was underwhelmed by the Typhoon, was over really quickly and didn't feel its raw power!

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Dan's entitled to his opinion, rightly or wrongly, as is everybody else.
For myself, I used to attend Duxford at least twice a year but since they added the parking charge I've refused to attend. My view only I know, but for me Duxford is not a pleasant venue. Cramped crowd line and the loss of what I considered the prime position, the tank bank, plus the added cost of the flightline walk (should I want it) and £8 for a programme is disgusting. I know that other shows (La Ferté Alais for example) do similar, but they still offer tickets on the day or flight line walk for free if paying in advance. I admire DX for securing the Rafale, but is it worth the money for, (what most people are saying), one standout performance?
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

strangelookingalien

Post by strangelookingalien »

I absolutely loved this weekend at Duxford. It is the first time in my memory that i've felt Duxford was a 'proper' airshow up with the likes of the old Mildenhall, RIAT, Yeovilton etc. I am biased as I am mainly interested in fast jets; but the variety of aircraft, brilliant quality of flying, interesting exhibits (Bloodhound SSC etc.) made it a really wonderful weekend.

Here's hoping September is just as exciting.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

The entrance of the Rafale was unbelievable. Easily the best fast jet demo out there!

keithholden

Post by keithholden »

Went both days. Stayed in Cambridge. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Never buy food at any type event. Ridiculous prices for rubbish. Good breakfast sets you up for the day. Rafale was the best fast jet display I've seen for years.

mafro987daboss

Post by mafro987daboss »

That Rafale display is the best display in Europe bar none. Absolutely fantastic- and probably my favourite ever jet display at Duxford (although the F15 display a couple years back runs it close). The looping Mustang display was also great. However, the flying often seemed very high (more so than distant). I'm sure the pricing issues have already been discussed.

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

Was it just me..............or were the aircraft displaying further away this year ?

I went to Dux for the May Airshow last year on the Tank Bank, and felt the new distance was a little further away....... but not too bad
I then went to the September show where they closed the Tank Bank............and the distance was a tad closer.
This year it felt like the distance was back to last years May Airshow........and some.
The Apache, Typhoon, and Great War Display Team felt.............distant ?

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

A good if not great show. The Rafale wipes the floor with pretty much any fast jet ever seen, a truly brilliant display. Spent my time down the M-11 end, plenty of topsides and decently close passes from the vast majority of the acts.

strangelookingalien

Post by strangelookingalien »

paullangford wrote:Was it just me..............or were the aircraft displaying further away this year ?

I went to Dux for the May Airshow last year on the Tank Bank, and felt the new distance was a little further away....... but not too bad
I then went to the September show where they closed the Tank Bank............and the distance was a tad closer.
This year it felt like the distance was back to last years May Airshow........and some.

It's so odd - I was saying earlier how I felt things were displaying closer this year... I wonder if we're both wrong and it's all exactly the same?!

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

strangelookingalien wrote:
paullangford wrote:Was it just me..............or were the aircraft displaying further away this year ?

It's so odd - I was saying earlier how I felt things were displaying closer this year... I wonder if we're both wrong and it's all exactly the same?!

Ha !....yea, probs :lol:

Lightningkid70

Post by Lightningkid70 »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
jalfrezi wrote:

I also have an opinion, based on experience from a regular visitor for the last ten years.
Sadly I would have to vouch for Dan on this one, as for the disgusting attitude the IWM staff are currently showing to visitors on entry. The quality of customer interaction has dropped, and I will be taking this up as it is very important that I do. I have also been a Friend Of Duxford since 2007, so have seen a lot of changes, not all for the best.
I just couldn't believe what the lady on the check in desk said to me when I simply asked if she could spare a copy of the small A5 Sunday display schedule.
"If you wish to have one you will have to pay the £8.00 for the show guide." I showed her proof that I had already paid for the guide as I had attended the show the day before as I showed her the display schedule I still had in my bag from saturday. "I will only give you one if you can show me the £8.00 guide that you purchased Saturday" But this Saturday schedule came with my £8.00 guide yesterday, what more proof do you need?
As for food, I spoke to fellow visitors (after over hearing another group laughing and joking at the quality of the service during breakfast), they mentioned the fact that they had to eat an English Breakfast out of a box, one old lady cut through the bottom of the box onto the table. Now how can that be hearsay, when a "new" visitor gets that "first" impression. They simply couldn't believe they had to pay over a tenner for a simple breakfast with tea and to eat it out of a box.
As for me being a Friend, I still have to pay £4.88 for a small cup of coffee and a bun with one rasher of bacon in it.

To anyone who has the cheek to tell me I have a choice, wether I wish to purchase or not doesn't change the fact that IWM are happy to have a new service provider on site that provides a sub standard service.

Martin

Lightningkid70

Post by Lightningkid70 »

keithholden wrote:Went both days. Stayed in Cambridge. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Never buy food at any type event. Ridiculous prices for rubbish. Good breakfast sets you up for the day. Rafale was the best fast jet display I've seen for years.

Absolutely agree with everything you said there. I attended both days.
I did take my own food and drink, but what I said is relaying what is coming from "new" visitors who shouldn't come away with that impression of what is otherwise a premier air show. A poor quality breakfast in a box simply won't cut it with the French, Germans, Czech, Australian, NZ etc visitors all of which I spoke to either at the start of, during or at the end of the day.
One thing I would mention is that so many Europeans are coming to these Duxford shows because they simply don't have anything that comes close, what with flying display variety & quality of flying.

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Pen Pusher wrote:It's passed through. Blue sky to the west dark grey to the east. Wasn't enough rain to get the waterproofs out.

Take away the cleaners, security and the armed police, not aot of people here.

Brian

I thought that around the time of your post and then the crowd increased towards lunch time. Busy but without being over packed, that's fine with me. Enjoyed the show :clap: and Duxford are listening to the feedback they received from the e mail\online surveys they conducted last year. The Rafale display was without doubt the best fast jet displays in recent memory at the 100 year old venue. It will long be remembered.

NTFC1

Post by NTFC1 »

davidjones533 wrote:Although the line-up was superb, Duxford are sadly dammed if they do, and dammed if they don't. Stack the display full of DX based aircraft and people moan that's "same old"... bring in displays from elsewhere and they moan that they're ignoring what they have to hand. I thought they got the balance just about right, with some nice gems including the UK debut of a Norseman (so they said), the Rafale and the Osprey. Considering the wind they did well to get pretty much everything airborne and displayed, juggling round where necessary. Personally I always groan when I see a parachute team on the list as more often than not they can't jump, leaving a big hole in the schedule.

I appreciate the price is at the upper end of the scale, but I think the quality was there yesterday. It's on a par with Yeovilton and a full £10 cheaper than Scampton. Cosford is still a bargain - I'm not sure why they charge so little! I do think that Duxford need to do more for families however - 'children go free' would be a big winner and see the crowds begin to swell again. It was undoubtedly quieter yesterday, particularly noticeable in the hangars and on exit, although I do wonder how much the new crowd line alters our perception, with acres of space now available in front of the old jetliners and the AAM.

I still think airshows in general are tremendous value for money when you compare to other events. £40 to watch a dreadful Premier League 0-0 springs to mind... on more than one occasion! I did think twice about the flight line walk, but glad I did it in the end as the Great War Display Team machines were just glorious in the sunshine. This particular aspect seemed as busy as ever, so as long as people are willing to pay it, any good business would continue to charge for it. Personally, I'd like to see some of the museum aircraft dragged out onto the grass, particularly when a fair proportion of the display jets are operating from elsewhere.

Agree with most of this apart children do go free!!......took my 5 yesterday and booked the tickets at the beginning of the month so for me personally £34 (including parking charge) for 6 of us to have a full day out represents great value for money,factor in the weather and varied line up all made for a great day all round.
My kids loved it and even after being onsite for 9 hours they still did not want to leave when we eventually decided to "join the queue" at 6.30pm

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

The above says it all for me,£34 for 1 adult and 5 children.Perhaps if children paid say a fiver Duxford might manage to drop the adult price a little.
Same at Fairford adults I feel are subsidising the under 16 free entry.
All for encouraging youngsters as they are the future crowd at shows but feel they could be charged at least a fiver.
Will upset some people I realise but would be interest in other people's opinions.

John in Seaford

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

Biggin Hill seem to have a good balance regarding entrance prices,first two children under 16 are free and any additional kids pay the full adult price.seems pretty fair ! although perhaps half price may be a tad better !
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

NTFC1

Post by NTFC1 »

lambo17841 wrote:The above says it all for me,£34 for 1 adult and 5 children.Perhaps if children paid say a fiver Duxford might manage to drop the adult price a little.
Same at Fairford adults I feel are subsidising the under 16 free entry.
All for encouraging youngsters as they are the future crowd at shows but feel they could be charged at least a fiver.
Will upset some people I realise but would be interest in other people's opinions.

John in Seaford

I don't think parents should be penalised on how many children they have.......it's the coach load of cubs/scouts/cadets to 3 or 4 leaders/helpers at riat that abuses the "free kids" policy

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

I am not penalising parents just my view that under 16s should pay a bit.

John in Seaford

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

I don't think parents should be penalised on how many children they have

I would be interested to hear why you think people who don't have kids/ choose to attend without their kids should subsidise your entrance price. I'm quite happy to pay a 'fair' price but when a people carrier full of people is getting in for the same price as I'm paying then surely a modest adjustment of the pricing structure is required.

I'm guessing that part of the 'free kids' thing is the hope that kids who are taken to air shows will in turn become paying adults eventually - it would be interesting to see what the 'take up' rate is on that - do the kids become paying customers or do they abandon air shows to do other things in their spare time?

Post by 106500 »

All in all a pretty good day yesterday. Of course the absence of the Vixen was massively disappointing but apart from that definitely a good day. Not sure why the Mig 15 went AWOL? agree with the posts on here about the Rafale - absolutely awesome and definitely eclipsed the Typhoon - the livery is fantastic and sadly places the RAF drab grey in a poor light! Lets be controversial here - I blame the Torys and Brexit! :grin:

Whatever you think of the prices, etc. at Duxford every bit of the money spent is right up in front of you - the museums are unbelievable....