May Airshow

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
138EAW

Re: May Airshow

Post by 138EAW »

Was the Belgian A109 mentioned in a email from Duxford? Doesn't appear to be on the official website or mentioned on the Duxford Facebook page
Gary

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Duxford May airshow has the AAC Apache demo with Pyro's.

Andy

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

boff180 wrote:Duxford May airshow has the AAC Apache demo with Pyro's.

Andy

You sure? :grin:

Weather Watcher

Post by Weather Watcher »

Advice please. I'm coming to the May show on the Saturday, bringing an older disabled neighbour with me. His mobility scooter fits in my car. I have the require disabled parking permit. I would like to get him to the front of the crowd as he will remain seated during the display. Is there any way to do this other than trying to get there as the gates open? On the website there is mention of a designated area for wheelchair users although I have not noticed this on the couple of occasions I've been to Duxford. Also I don't know if this area is available for mobility scooter users. Thanks for any information.

classicaviation

Post by classicaviation »

The wheelchair designated area is usually near the entrance to the Flightline walk and I'm sure they wouldn't discriminate between a wheelchair and a mobility scooter. Not sureally but you may have to acquire a pass prior to the show for the scooter user and number of people with them to use the enclosure
Nikon 5200
Nikon 5300
Sigma 150-600mm

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Just for info, there is new fencing going up along the entire length of the crowd line. On the concrete the bottom of it touches the ground so no more under the fence shots unless I dangle my camera upside down on a monopod. :biggrin:

For the less observant, not that it matters any more, but the mound south side has been carted away and flattened. It was to the right of the white board you can just see.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Pen Pusher wrote:Just for info, there is new fencing going up along the entire length of the crowd line. On the concrete the bottom of it touches the ground so no more under the fence shots unless I dangle my camera upside down on a monopod. :biggrin:

For the less observant, not that it matters any more, but the mound south side has been carted away and flattened. It was to the right of the white board you can just see.

Brian

Out of interest where have the fences been placed? Where they were at Flying Legends last year to bring the display line closer or back to their old position?

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

The new fence is going up in the same place as the old fence. Presumably it will be moved for the air shows.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

BigBlackCat

Post by BigBlackCat »

Was told yesterday that Duxford were '90% certain' of having another European fast jet display in the flying line up. :yahoo:

frank

Post by frank »

Do we have to pay for parking now as well as the airshow - confused :dizzy:

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

frank wrote:Do we have to pay for parking now as well as the airshow - confused :dizzy:

Yes! Except for Legends which is run by TFC. At the May and September shows run by IWM you have to pay extra for the privilege to park your car.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

BigBlackCat wrote:Was told yesterday that Duxford were '90% certain' of having another European fast jet display in the flying line up. :yahoo:

Reasonable source? I'm placing my bets on the French Rafale.

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

The lack of warbirds and other Dux residents on the current list is pretty shocking. Are we going to have a show devoid of single-engine warbird fighters?!

On the plus side, the new fences look good.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

And most of the war birds are still undergoing winter maintenance and have not flown yet.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Granted several are still in maintenance, but equally there are a good number of residents flying, be they warbirds or otherwise (several Spitfires, T-28, a number of TFC aircraft, Cosmic Wind, Mark Miller's aeroplanes). Typically the IWM announces the based aircraft months in advance, and builds the list from there. With one month to go until the airshow, there's clearly been a change to tac somewhere.

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

Elliott Marsh wrote:There's clearly been a change to tac somewhere.

New FDD at Duxford perhaps have a different view on using the same attractions multiple times in the year? :dunno:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Spotty_Jag wrote:
Elliott Marsh wrote:There's clearly been a change to tac somewhere.

New FDD at Duxford perhaps have a different view on using the same attractions multiple times in the year? :dunno:

And replaced them with... no attractions instead? :hide:

I'm obviously taking it to the extreme, but the participation list looks ok, but not £29.50 + £5 for car parking ok.

Previous Spring airshows have features Princess Liz and those amazing Eagle Sqn tributes, a number of C-47s for the D-Day anniversary, including two from the States, a gathering of Mustangs and the MkI Spits & Blenheim formations.

Maybe the organisers will pull the Belgian F-16 out of the hat next week or something, but with 4 weeks to go, the show doesn't look tremendously tempting when cheaper alternatives exist.

It's really frustrating in a way, because I really like Duxford, and they have one of (if not the) finest warbird collections this side of the pond under their collective roofs, but the IWM show just doesn't allow me to justify the expense at the moment...

And add to that the hustle and bustle of the crowd, and flying doesn't start until the afternoon (unless they start earlier now? Happy to be corrected on that), and you're looking at a very expensive afternoon for stuff you can see elsewhere, really...

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

The theme for the May show is 'Air Festival' so not exactly military orientated unlike the September 'Battle of Britain' show.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

st24

Post by st24 »

Rafale self confirmed, along with RIAT :up: :win:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Blimey. Didn't expect that!
I'll be in the area for the weekend too. Decisions decisions!

JJC

Post by JJC »

That's my attendance confirmed :clap:
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

JoshWiggins

Post by JoshWiggins »

Great! When is the latest date you can buy tickets?

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

That's a fantastic catch for Duxford. All credit to them.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

Will the "Tank Bank" be open ?, or closed off for goodness knows why ?