Daks Over Normandy - June 2019

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
farnboroughrob

Re: Daks Over Normandy - June 2019

Post by farnboroughrob »

Three more daks added,a AC-47 Spookey, and two C-47's based in Moscow. Just hope the public event at Duxford lives up to expectations, flightline walk needed.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

farnboroughrob wrote: Just hope the public event at Duxford lives up to expectations, flightline walk needed.

What public event?.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

NTG1610

Post by NTG1610 »

Pen Pusher wrote:
farnboroughrob wrote: Just hope the public event at Duxford lives up to expectations, flightline walk needed.

What public event?.

Brian

The DAKS over Normandy makes reference to public events

https://www.daksovernormandy.com/visitor-info/

"During the Airport open days everyone can come, see and touch the aircraft up, close and personal. They will be open so you can take a look inside. They will fly so you can see them in their natural element. And the paratroopers in their WW2 style uniforms will jump and will prepare for their jumps amongst the aircraft. At the air market you can find and buy your hearts’ delight in all kinds of aviation related items. It will all be a sight to behold, creating unique photo opportunities and a wonderful day out for each and every one."

now it could be this is just for the Caen part but it does not say that so I like "farnboroughrob" take it to be an event at Duxford,

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

NTG1610 wrote:"During the Airport open days everyone can come, see and touch the aircraft up, close and personal. They will be open so you can take a look inside.

Daks over Normandy have said that but have Duxford agreed to it?. With all the flying/arrival/departure's taking place, no way will members of the public be allowed air side.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Maybe it will be like an airshow day with flight line type walks in the morning and flying later on.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

NTG1610

Post by NTG1610 »

Pen Pusher wrote:
NTG1610 wrote:"During the Airport open days everyone can come, see and touch the aircraft up, close and personal. They will be open so you can take a look inside.

Daks over Normandy have said that but have Duxford agreed to it?. With all the flying/arrival/departure's taking place, no way will members of the public be allowed air side.

Brian

Of course not, but then it does say the active aircraft each day will be separated from the static examples , and assuming a similar plan can be put together as for most other Duxford shows than no reason at all why all aircraft present cannot be available for a flight line walk

Pretty sure Daks over Normandy will have spoken to Duxford about what can and cant be done

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

You really need to wait and see what Duxford say rather than making up your own version of you think will happen and then throwing your toys out of the pram when it doesn't pan out your way.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

NTG1610

Post by NTG1610 »

Pen Pusher wrote:You really need to wait and see what Duxford say rather than making up your own version of you think will happen and then throwing your toys out of the pram when it doesn't pan out your way.

Brian

Brian really
its 11 months away who knows what will happen in that time, at the moment all any of us can do is comment on what is in print from the people organizing the event, personally I think Duxford will be told what they can and can`t do at this event regardless

Nobody has made up any version other than to hope for something similar to usual event access , and I gave all my toys away many years ago so no longer have any to throw out ,

Really don`t get why you are getting so ansty with all this, its just a few old/oldish guys chatting about an event in years time using all the available information currently at disposal to make comments on

I am looking forward to it no matter what happens

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

NTG1610 wrote: personally I think Duxford will be told what they can and can`t do at this event regardless

I want to be there when someone tries and tell's Duxford Management what they can and can't do at their airfield.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

NTG1610

Post by NTG1610 »

Pen Pusher wrote:
NTG1610 wrote: personally I think Duxford will be told what they can and can`t do at this event regardless

I want to be there when someone tries and tell's Duxford Management what they can and can't do at their airfield.

Brian

Brian we will all see what transpires in June next year where we can pick up on these points and discuss accordingly

Have a pleasant evening

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Pen Pusher wrote:I want to be there when someone tries and tell's Duxford Management what they can and can't do at their airfield.

Pen Pusher wrote:With all the flying/arrival/departure's taking place, no way will members of the public be allowed air side.

Pot, meet kettle...

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

For me this will be the event of the decade as I love Daks. At least there will be some public viewing at Duxford even with no flightline walk. Unlike that awful Lee-on-Solent event which saw thousands standing outside hoping for a view.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

farnboroughrob wrote:Unlike that awful Lee-on-Solent event which saw thousands standing outside hoping for a view.

Which awful Lee-on-Solent event was that?
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

I think it was the D-day 70th event wasn't it?

There are threads about it on here but i can't get the links to work.

Daks over Normandy

Post by Daks over Normandy »

Gents,

Instead of posting on a forum and assuming a lot of things, you could have just as easily sent us a message asking "Hey guys, what's up?"
Rest assured though; we assume nothing, do not make rash decisions, do not make promises we cannot keep and have entered into very
good working cooperation with both IWM Duxford and Caen Airport.

In case you have questions, remarks or concerns, I'd be happy to answer to them.
Meanwhile you can help us raise awareness (and some cash..) for what will be the largest aviation event for the 75th commemoration of D-Day.
Thank you all.

Daks over Normandy
Peter Braun - Event Director

Berf

Post by Berf »

Flights and hotel all booked for Caen. Should be great.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

AlexC wrote:
farnboroughrob wrote:Unlike that awful Lee-on-Solent event which saw thousands standing outside hoping for a view.

Which awful Lee-on-Solent event was that?

The 70th even with about 10 daks. No access to the airfield unless you wanted to pay ££££. Consequently the 2-3 thousand people present were limited to seeing them depart from the seafront.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Daks over Normandy wrote:Gents,

Instead of posting on a forum and assuming a lot of things, you could have just as easily sent us a message asking "Hey guys, what's up?"
Rest assured though; we assume nothing, do not make rash decisions, do not make promises we cannot keep and have entered into very
good working cooperation with both IWM Duxford and Caen Airport.

In case you have questions, remarks or concerns, I'd be happy to answer to them.
Meanwhile you can help us raise awareness (and some cash..) for what will be the largest aviation event for the 75th commemoration of D-Day.
Thank you all.

Daks over Normandy
Peter Braun - Event Director

Hi Peter love the event, can't wait. I just want to see that there is going to be public access to the event, at a sensible price. Perhaps a Flying Legends style flight line walk and some afternoon flying. No need to make it into a larger event, Daks only.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

farnboroughrob wrote:The 70th even with about 10 daks. No access to the airfield unless you wanted to pay ££££. Consequently the 2-3 thousand people present were limited to seeing them depart from the seafront.

Thanks. That event seems to have passed me by, which is strange as I don't live that far from Lee-on-Solent. However seems that I didn't miss much, and anyway there's no way that I would have paid ££££!

There was a large gathering of DC-3's, Skytrain's, Dakota's etc., at Oshkosh 2010, with most of them arriving on July 26th. 75th anniversary of first flight if I remember correctly. I won't forget that trip in a hurry!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

SkyDave

Post by SkyDave »

I met up with some of the crews for this event next year as part of my Duties at Oshkosh 2018. They are really looking forward to it. :)

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

My wife and I flew from Bournemouth to Abingdon on G-AMSV (Air Atlantigue) on 14/9/1985. Very enjoyable trip!

I'd love to go to Oshkosh Airventure again someday, nothing in the world like it!

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Miss seeing the dc-3’s at baginton but this will be another perfect reason to spend even more time at Duxford I’ll be there for some if not all of the 4 days

AMB

Post by AMB »

Bomber Command wrote:To see 5 Daks flying together wpuld be an impressive sight! To see over 30....

A must see. I'll go above and beyond to make this trip!

You should have been at Air Atlantique's 50's Classic Air Show at Coventry in 2000. They put up SEVEN Daks which is the most I've ever seen in the air together.
Adrian

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Looks like Ian Allan Travel are running a trip for the event in France, with a bonus escapade to Berlin after for some 'candy bombing' celebration too. Link below to the newsletter on their website.

https://www.ianallantravel.com/aviation ... andy-2019/

:up:
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

AMB wrote:
Bomber Command wrote:To see 5 Daks flying together wpuld be an impressive sight! To see over 30....

A must see. I'll go above and beyond to make this trip!

You should have been at Air Atlantique's 50's Classic Air Show at Coventry in 2000. They put up SEVEN Daks which is the most I've ever seen in the air together.

And a couple of DC-6s iirc.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)