American Air Day, Duxford - 21 Aug 09

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Ben Montgomery

Re: American Air Day, Duxford - 21 Aug 09

Post by Ben Montgomery »

Thumper wrote:Ferocious Frankie (P51D Mustang) did a wonderful display as did the Apache.

There was an Apache there? :question:

Ben

MartinNeedham

Post by MartinNeedham »

TheOriginalMonty wrote:
Thumper wrote:Ferocious Frankie (P51D Mustang) did a wonderful display as did the Apache.

Ben

I presume Thumper means the HH-60, only helicopter present AFAIK.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

MartinNeedham wrote:
TheOriginalMonty wrote:

Ben

I presume Thumper means the HH-60, only helicopter present AFAIK.

Apart from a visiting R-22 I think it was :biggrin:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

OK, now I KNOW the R22 isn't an Apache or anything like one.... but errr yeah the HH60 I thought was an Apache... hey it was AMERICAN air day so at least I guessed an American copter :biggrin:

LOL @ aceyone.... yep on the bike I got to the front of the traffic queue, just had problems with the human being queue. Annoyed me because I thought about getting tickets online (you got straight in with no queueing) but last time I went to Duxford for the Autumn Airshow it only took 5 minutes to get in so figured this *small* event on a Friday would be quiet...ish. Oh how very wrong can one be :shock:

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

Thumper wrote:OK, now I KNOW the R22 isn't an Apache or anything like one.... but errr yeah the HH60 I thought was an Apache... hey it was AMERICAN air day so at least I guessed an American copter :biggrin:

LOL @ aceyone.... yep on the bike I got to the front of the traffic queue, just had problems with the human being queue. Annoyed me because I thought about getting tickets online (you got straight in with no queueing) but last time I went to Duxford for the Autumn Airshow it only took 5 minutes to get in so figured this *small* event on a Friday would be quiet...ish. Oh how very wrong can one be :shock:

Well at least you got to see something,because of the V Festival etc all I saw was the rear view of various automobiles,never mind, roll on Dunsfold! ps take no notice of these clever clogs,we all have to learn :tongue:
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Such a shame you got caught in all that traffic, fingers crossed you have a great day at Dunsfold! :cool:

I know what an Apache looks like now, lots different to the HH-60, not searching for excuses but my friend said "take photos of the Apache for me" and I just presumed that helicopter (being the only one) was the Apache :whistle: I am however now in possession of the lovely photographic book "Modern Military Aircraft" which I am memorising :grin:

Oh yes, here's a photo of the queue after I'd been in it for an hour already, thought that may cheer you up!

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

Hmm,I can see why you gave up,I didn't think it would be so popular , could it be that a lot of service personal from the Heath and Hall decided to have a day at Duxford ? :question: Thanks,I'm looking forward to Dunsfold,had two advance tickets last year but unfortunately illness prevented me going ,fingers crossed :kiss:

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

There were a LOT of families with kids there, more than I saw at RIAT! I guess people were just looking for something, anything to do for the summer holidays as most people are not affording holidays away at the moment.

Sorry to hear you weren't well for Dunsfold last year, that sucks when you're ill for a trip you've been looking forward to for ages. Fingers n toes crossed you are in perfect health this time round! :yahoo:

I just need to get some things on eBay sharpish so I can do just 1 more airshow this year (it's such an addiction)... Duxford again me thinks as it is afterall my local!

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

Thumper wrote:There were a LOT of families with kids there, more than I saw at RIAT! I guess people were just looking for something, anything to do for the summer holidays as most people are not affording holidays away at the moment.

Sorry to hear you weren't well for Dunsfold last year, that sucks when you're ill for a trip you've been looking forward to for ages. Fingers n toes crossed you are in perfect health this time round! :yahoo:

I just need to get some things on eBay sharpish so I can do just 1 more airshow this year (it's such an addiction)... Duxford again me thinks as it is afterall my local!

Well,living in Bromley Dunsfold is an easier trip for me although Duxford is shaping up nicely,I may brave the Dartford Crossing and nick your place . :lol:

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

I left Medway at 8:30, no queue at Dartford Tunnel, was at Duxford at 9:45 thinking it opened at 10:00 as usual, queued for about 10 minutes to get in and thought THAT was a big queue to get in :shock:
I must admit I was surprised how many people were there for a weekday, even if schools are off

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

grant_w wrote:I left Medway at 8:30, no queue at Dartford Tunnel, was at Duxford at 9:45 thinking it opened at 10:00 as usual, queued for about 10 minutes to get in and thought THAT was a big queue to get in :shock:
I must admit I was surprised how many people were there for a weekday, even if schools are off

Stupidly I left much later and payed the price,my own fault, I should have known better, the trouble is that the M25 is so congested that one small mishap etc, escalates rapidly into major mayhem, when it gets pear-shaped I reckon they should temporarily make it toll-free until things improve but that's another story !

Eagledriver F-15E

Post by Eagledriver F-15E »

I don't know if this is the right place to discuss this, but I want to ask anyway.

I come from Belgium and been to Duxford several times. I also got caught up in traffic at the Dartford crossing more than once. I just can't believe that I had to queu for 2 hours, just because one is to pay 1 pound (now 1.5) to get across the river. Is there no other way to get to the other side? Automating the system is probably no use as you have to get to the tunnel in the first place, I suppose.

Airminded greetings

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

Eagledriver F-15E wrote:I don't know if this is the right place to discuss thisternative, but I want to ask anyway.

I come from Belgium and been to Duxford several times. I also got caught up in traffic at the Dartford crossing more than once. I just can't believe that I had to queu for 2 hours, just because one is to pay 1 pound (now 1.5) to get across the river. Is there no other way to get to the other side? Autlomating the system is probably no use as you have to get to the tunnel in the first place, I suppose.

Airminded greetings

Unfortunately the answer is not really,there are two alternative tunnels to the east but that's even worse as you have to drive through the suburbs of SE London and East London,basically the operators of Dartford have us where it hurts and they know it,hence the 50% hike in price this year :mad:

andyxh558

Post by andyxh558 »

I must admit since they have done the A1 from Doncaster to alconbury it makes it a lot easier coming from ooop north. for instance we left Duxford at 1800 and were at Doncaster m18 junction for 19:45 and that was at 70 ish mph.

The day was great and will be back for more. Nice to meet andy, stu, james, (eagle keeper), trev and thanks for the company derek. I did go Brian spotting but i didnt see you. how can we get the U.S catering at Duxford? couldn't even get a soda! but that was incidental to an excellent day with great company and good banter. Heres to a bigger and better one next year. :clap: :clap: :clap:

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

aceyone wrote:
Eagledriver F-15E wrote:I don't know if this is the right place to discuss thisternative, but I want to ask anyway.

I come from Belgium and been to Duxford several times. I also got caught up in traffic at the Dartford crossing more than once. I just can't believe that I had to queu for 2 hours, just because one is to pay 1 pound (now 1.5) to get across the river. Is there no other way to get to the other side? Autlomating the system is probably no use as you have to get to the tunnel in the first place, I suppose.

Airminded greetings

Unfortunately the answer is not really,there are two alternative tunnels to the east but that's even worse as you have to drive through the suburbs of SE London and East London,basically the operators of Dartford have us where it hurts and they know it,hence the 50% hike in price this year :mad:

What makes it worse is that the charge should have been dropped years ago.

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

Off Topic, BUT
you want to try living in Kent and working in Essex and having to do it every day. Its not pleasant :sad:

Dart-tags help, and I would recomment every single person to get one, as long as you are going to make 10 trips across the crossing in your lifetime, then you will save money, and help decrease a lot of the congestion at the tolls :biggrin:

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Or just buy a motorbike and never get stuck in traffic again :whistle: :biggrin: :tongue:

The other benefit of being on a motorbike for airshows is having priority for hard standing. Always get right to the front and have no distance to walk to get in. This was the case at RIAT, Shoreham, Duxford, Eastbourne, Biggin Hill and Old Warden :yahoo:

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

Thumper wrote:Or just buy a motorbike and never get stuck in traffic again :whistle: :biggrin: :tongue:

The other benefit of being on a motorbike for airshows is having priority for hard standing. Always get right to the front and have no distance to walk to get in. This was the case at RIAT, Shoreham, Duxford, Eastbourne, Biggin Hill and Old Warden :yahoo:

We don't need to know that ,ta very much :tongue:

stuart n

Post by stuart n »

Over 6000 visitors enjoyed American Air Day on Friday 21 August at Imperial War Museum Duxford.
This family-friendly day presented a packed programme of entertainement, including fly pasts by USAFE aircraft, including the MC-130 H/P transport, KC-135 tanker, F-15 Eagle fighter jet and HH-60 helicopter.
Duxford's flying partners showcased some truly legendary American aircraft, in some fantastic flying displays, including the F-86 Sabre, P-51 Mustang, Stearman and Cub.
USAFE personnel showcased their work in the UK in some exciting ground displays, including a security forces display, a weather display ,
munitions display and a military working dog demonstration. On the airfield, there were demonstrations of a parachute jump and a combat
search and rescue demonstration. There were also displays of classic American cars and motorbikes, and performances by USAFE's very own rock band, Touch 'n' Go, which added to the fun and relaxed atmosphere of the day.

Major General Mark R Zamzow, Vice Commandery of the 3rd Air Force, said, "We had a great day out at Duxford, and we really enjoyed getting
to put on a show for our British friends and neighbors. Our hosts at Duxford provided a fantastic venue, with a real historical significance that serves to inform visitors of the long and vital partnership enjoyed between the U.S. Air Force and the Royal Air Force. We hope that everyone who came out enjoyed what they saw and got to know a little more about the U.S. Air Force and the history of aviation in the U.K".

Major Robert A Lindblom, 48th Fighter Wing"I'm thrilled with the success of the 2009 American Air Day event. The tremendous attendance
is a testament to the deep ties between the British and American people.
Having such a large turnout makes all the time and effort spent in preparing for the day more than worthwhile!"