IWM Membership Scheme

Switch to full style
Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Post a reply

IWM Membership Scheme

Tue 07 Nov 2017, 12:56 pm

Hi folks.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this, it launches at the end of the month and promises discounts and other perks.

There seems to be two levels, the second of which (at £46 a year, instead of the basic package of £29) will allow 20% discount on Duxford Airshow events.

Thoughts, comments...

Re: IWM Membership Scheme

Tue 07 Nov 2017, 1:05 pm

austinp wrote:Hi folks.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this, it launches at the end of the month and promises discounts and other perks.

There seems to be two levels, the second of which (at £46 a year, instead of the basic package of £29) will allow 20% discount on Duxford Airshow events.

Thoughts, comments...


Join the Sally B Supporters Club. Cheaper annual subscription and free access to Duxford on non-show days. Plus it directly supports a one-of-a-kind flyer in Europe.

Re: IWM Membership Scheme

Tue 07 Nov 2017, 1:23 pm

Depends if you're interested in the wider IWM family than just Duxford.

Free and fast-track access to Churchill War Rooms, HMS Belfast and IWM Duxford. Premium also gives you free access to paid exhibitions at IWM London and IWM North. 15% discount in shops and cafes. 20% discount on Air Show tickets. If I lived in London then I would definitely go for it, since I'd regularly make use of the free entry to all the special exhibitions as well as Churchill Rooms and Belfast. However, living up north I'm not sure that it adds up for me. The most I could probably expect is two airshows (c.£30 a pop so £12 saving. More if it includes Legends - no clear info on that) and visit Duxford on a nice quiet non-show day once a year (£18). So £30 doesn't cover the cost of the premium package. However, access to the air show members' enclosure and perhaps an annual trip to London for the museums could swing it.

Re: IWM Membership Scheme

Tue 07 Nov 2017, 2:00 pm

davidjones533 wrote:Depends if you're interested in the wider IWM family than just Duxford.

Free and fast-track access to Churchill War Rooms, HMS Belfast and IWM Duxford. Premium also gives you free access to paid exhibitions at IWM London and IWM North. 15% discount in shops and cafes. 20% discount on Air Show tickets. If I lived in London then I would definitely go for it, since I'd regularly make use of the free entry to all the special exhibitions as well as Churchill Rooms and Belfast. However, living up north I'm not sure that it adds up for me. The most I could probably expect is two airshows (c.£30 a pop so £12 saving. More if it includes Legends - no clear info on that) and visit Duxford on a nice quiet non-show day once a year (£18). So £30 doesn't cover the cost of the premium package. However, access to the air show members' enclosure and perhaps an annual trip to London for the museums could swing it.


A great range of savings to be sure. And something that only a certain number of people will be able to properly benefit from.

Like you, I'm up north (Sheffield area), so I'd never be able to make the most of it; unless I seriously upped my visits to Duxford and any other IWM site (which I can't see happening).

Re: IWM Membership Scheme

Wed 08 Nov 2017, 12:52 pm

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
austinp wrote:Hi folks.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this, it launches at the end of the month and promises discounts and other perks.

There seems to be two levels, the second of which (at £46 a year, instead of the basic package of £29) will allow 20% discount on Duxford Airshow events.

Thoughts, comments...


Join the Sally B Supporters Club. Cheaper annual subscription and free access to Duxford on non-show days. Plus it directly supports a one-of-a-kind flyer in Europe.


+1 same for me.

Re: IWM Membership Scheme

Fri 10 Nov 2017, 6:51 pm

The same benefit comes with Catalina Society membership too

Re: IWM Membership Scheme

Fri 17 Nov 2017, 2:27 pm

I use my membership access quite a lot. Far more pleasant surroundings to drop in to Duxford for a coffee on the way to London than a Starbucks or Costa.

Re: IWM Membership Scheme

Sat 18 Nov 2017, 7:51 pm

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Far more pleasant surroundings to drop in to Duxford for a coffee on the way to London.


Not too keen on those light weight cups that they use for the coffee though, at least they do in the American Museum. Rather unstable, very nearly tipped mine in my lap last time I was there. :oops:

Re: IWM Membership Scheme

Mon 27 Nov 2017, 12:50 pm

timuss wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:
austinp wrote:Hi folks.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this, it launches at the end of the month and promises discounts and other perks.

There seems to be two levels, the second of which (at £46 a year, instead of the basic package of £29) will allow 20% discount on Duxford Airshow events.

Thoughts, comments...


Join the Sally B Supporters Club. Cheaper annual subscription and free access to Duxford on non-show days. Plus it directly supports a one-of-a-kind flyer in Europe.


+1 same for me.


Thats a great shout - thanks! I was considering joining the scheme again and this is much better use of the money IMO.

Re: IWM Membership Scheme

Wed 06 Dec 2017, 8:02 am

My wife and I will be joining the new scheme (premium package), as we regularly visit DX on non-airshow days and usually do all three airshows if the weather permits. I did write to IWM to express our dissatisfaction with their decision to scrap FoD as a separate entity, but when large organisations get a 'bee in their bonnet' as IWM clearly have over this, then they'll do as they please.
TBH, it won't make any difference to us in our support for aviation at Duxford, and those with convenient access to the other IWM sites will gain if they choose to visit them. I can't see us visiting the other IWM sites any time soon though.

Re: IWM Membership Scheme

Thu 07 Dec 2017, 1:41 pm

They have also abolished the "seniors" rate making the new regime that much more expensive for a raft of things that I wouldn't want to use. The reason given? "Simplifying the the membership structure". What a load of old frolics.

Andy

Re: IWM Membership Scheme

Thu 07 Dec 2017, 5:25 pm

Agreed Blackbird,all in all the new scheme is not particularly " Friendly ", I think I will replace mine with a Sally B membership..
Post a reply