Duxford Air Festival 2018

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Thoughtful_Flyer

Re: Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

eddywinch82 wrote: And I also agree the Rafale display was very distant at times,

Really?

I was sitting on the bank leading up to the Land Warfare Hall entrance and the Rafale seemed to centre its display right in front of us. Far closer than I was expecting (or have ever seen the Typhoon come to that!!) and was quite superb.

Thoughtful_Flyer

ShutterPlane wrote:The Rafale, oh it was there was it? I heard it, occasionally saw it when it remembered to fly actually over the airfield.

Utter nonsense! :wall:

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

To be fair to the poster I think over the years we've all crossed paths with an airshow volunteer who seems to think just because he's been issued with a polo shirt with the air shows crest on it he can talk down to people. 99% of them are fine and we couldn't have the shows without them but there is always one or two who leave a bad impression. A few years ago at RIAT there were one or two immediately after the flying saying words to the effect of "You've seen the show; now get off our property before we have you thrown off" - and no they weren't doing it as a joke/ in a jokey manner.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:
eddywinch82 wrote: And I also agree the Rafale display was very distant at times,

Really?

I was sitting on the bank leading up to the Land Warfare Hall entrance and the Rafale seemed to centre its display right in front of us.

That was probably the reason why it felt distant to others, then? Feel like you've answered your own question there.

Thoughtful_Flyer

Tommy wrote:
Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:

Really?

I was sitting on the bank leading up to the Land Warfare Hall entrance and the Rafale seemed to centre its display right in front of us.

That was probably the reason why it felt distant to others, then? Feel like you've answered your own question there.

Given that it common knowledge that the display centre has been moved further from the M11 in recent years (for obvious reasons) it seemed a sensible place to sit. But then I went to try and enjoy the flying with my own eyes rather than through a camera viewfinder. Clearly in the length of a runway it is never going to be centred in front of everybody.

There are sadly, plenty of things about the Duxford experience that could be justifiably criticised. However the Rafale display, from where I was sitting, was not one of them.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Some really good Warbird displays, yesterday. The RNHF Seafury solo display, being particularly noteworthy, a cracking display it was. The TFC Corsair, solo display was excellent aswell.

Also the Global Stars Aerobatic Team, put on an excellent display and I loved, the Aces High Dakota display. Even a solo C47 Dakota does it for me !

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Flying times, anyone.

DeHav

Post by DeHav »

Does anyone know what time the Rafale and PdF will be flying?
Nikon D5300
Sigma 150-500 f/5.6-6.3
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6
Sigma 17-55 f/2.8
Nikon 35mm f/1.8

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeHav

Post by DeHav »

Thank you!
Nikon D5300
Sigma 150-500 f/5.6-6.3
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6
Sigma 17-55 f/2.8
Nikon 35mm f/1.8

Thoughtful_Flyer

davidjones533 wrote:From what I heard over the PA then Rafale is around 1330 with PdF a couple of displays after that.

So have the PdF been brought forward (maybe because of weather forecast)?

The Notam shows the schedule for their 6NM restricted area as 1550 to 1640 UTC so 1650 to 1740 local which would suggest the display starting at 5pm.

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thoughtful_Flyer

davidjones533 wrote:Rafale just displayed. Datum definitely between American Air Museum and the Land Warfare, which thanks to the posts above is directly in front of me :)

Pleased to have been of service. :wink:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:
Tommy wrote:
Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:

Really?

Given that it common knowledge that the display centre has been moved further from the M11 in recent years (for obvious reasons) it seemed a sensible place to sit. But then I went to try and enjoy the flying with my own eyes rather than through a camera viewfinder. Clearly in the length of a runway it is never going to be centred in front of everybody.

There are sadly, plenty of things about the Duxford experience that could be justifiably criticised. However the Rafale display, from where I was sitting, was not one of them.

Oh yeah, fair. It's where I would've gone. I wasn't disparaging, just explaining that if it was centred there, then people at the M11 end might've felt it was distant. Obviously not everyone who goes to Duxford can all sit at the Land Warfare end.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Lakenheath guys are here with some tat! Rafale imo wasn’t even a sniff on last years display. Kept repeating same manoeuvres and was very very distant at times.

ShutterPlane

Post by ShutterPlane »

I assume that was in reply to my post.

jules48 wrote:If you like Duxford so much like you keep repeating

I've kept repeating, have I?

jules48 wrote:why criticise everything about the show

Are you suggesting that I'm not entitled to an opinion? Are you suggesting that I can't air my thoughts about the show on this forum dedicated to the show? I did go to the show, I did pay to go to the show, so I think I'm entitled to an opinion on the show.

jules48 wrote:and I am sure the car park attendant was not as rude as you said

You're sure of that are you?

Sure is 'predicative, often with clause' and to be sure you must be completely confident that one is right. Without being there at that time, I do not see how predicative with or without clause that you could ever be completely confident that what I said is not right.

jules48 wrote: and I am sure you can stand up for yourself.

Indeed, but as with these jumped up narcissists, this is such a time to have faith in the saying that 'this is nor the time nor the place' to start standing up for oneself when as I said earlier, it was dealt with and done.

jules48 wrote:Limitations affect Duxford so I am sure the Rafaele made the best of the situation as he could.

:dunno:

jules48 wrote:I have just arrived and no problem with any car park attendants.Perhaps due to impending weather forecast of storms seems relatively quiet.

I'd never had any trouble from one at Duxford before yesterday.
Collecting Avometers

ShutterPlane

Post by ShutterPlane »

Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:
ShutterPlane wrote:The Rafale, oh it was there was it? I heard it, occasionally saw it when it remembered to fly actually over the airfield.

No it's not.

I've never ever at any air show seen aircraft displayed in the far distance like this.

Even at RIAT last year, they managed to display to people who were on the airfield.
Collecting Avometers

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

ShutterPlane wrote:Even at RIAT last year, they managed to display to people who were on the airfield.

People on the airfield and the flying still went ahead?.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

Well I thought the Rafale display and the aircraft used ( paint job ) were absolutely cracking, given the Duxford caveats. The French- Navy and Air force- have done us most proud over the last 2-3 years, Where as our RAF....

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Yes you are entitled to an opinion as am I.

I had no problems today and enjoyed the show.

It all depends on what your expectations are.

Enjoy the rest of the season and I look forward to reading your thoughts.

ShutterPlane

Post by ShutterPlane »

Pen Pusher wrote:
ShutterPlane wrote:Even at RIAT last year, they managed to display to people who were on the airfield.

People on the airfield and the flying still went ahead?.

Brian

Is that a question or a statement?
Collecting Avometers

Thoughtful_Flyer

ShutterPlane wrote:
Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:

No it's not.

I've never ever at any air show seen aircraft displayed in the far distance like this.

Even at RIAT last year, they managed to display to people who were on the airfield.

Well, clearly you and I were at different shows yesterday. Strange that both are called Duxford!

Or perhaps you just chose the wrong spot to sit?

Thoughtful_Flyer

tuska2 wrote:Well I thought the Rafale display and the aircraft used ( paint job ) were absolutely cracking, given the Duxford caveats. The French- Navy and Air force- have done us most proud over the last 2-3 years, Where as our RAF....

Quite!

I.Winfield

Post by I.Winfield »

tuska2 wrote:Well I thought the Rafale display and the aircraft used ( paint job ) were absolutely cracking, given the Duxford caveats. The French- Navy and Air force- have done us most proud over the last 2-3 years, Where as our RAF....

Have to agree with this. I thought the Rafale was great (and I'm more of a piston warbird guy). Think, on the saturday, the Rafale was the best display, engaging and dynamic. Particularly liked the schlepp as well.
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/i_winfield/
Twitter: @IWinfield1

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Just heading back. Thought the P-47 was very distant especially for such a big machine. The Rafale hmm soundwise awesome, but the display i felt he was pulling into climbs in Saffron Walden! Very very distant. Some passes were okay. Surprisingly really enjoyed the C-3605 for such an ugly machine! Sea Fury was very well flown, sounded gorgeous. Also i’ve never heard a Spitfire sound like that before? Did not sound like a Spitfire, sounded like a whistle. Patrouille De France were the stand out act for me. Best display team i’ve watched in a good few years. Music fit really well and there was always something going on! Brilliant. Surely the Lakenheath guys could have provided a flypast from an F15? Oh well. Quite an enjoyable show all round. Hopefully a better line up next year. :smile: