Duxford Air Festival 2018

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Paul_Reflex

Re: Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by Paul_Reflex »

BrawlerO wrote:
Paul_Reflex wrote:
BrawlerO wrote:Maybe a chance for a role demo with live ammo?

That's a disgraceful comment to make. They are still people even if they lead a life which you don't approve of. You should be ashamed.

After experiencing these trespassers, flytippers, animal abusers, tax avoiders and general opters-out of the rules everyone else has to follow...illegally camping on a field near me recently...I actually feel no shame at all!

Sorry if you found my comment disgraceful but I am still a person even if I lead a life you don’t approve of.

I don't think it's just me that disapproves of hate speech. Thanks for the apology though.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

BrawlerO wrote:
Paul_Reflex wrote:
BrawlerO wrote:Maybe a chance for a role demo with live ammo?

That's a disgraceful comment to make. They are still people even if they lead a life which you don't approve of. You should be ashamed.

After experiencing these trespassers, flytippers, animal abusers, tax avoiders and general opters-out of the rules everyone else has to follow...illegally camping on a field near me recently...I actually feel no shame at all!

Sorry if you found my comment disgraceful but I am still a person even if I lead a life you don’t approve of.

+1 bud......
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

MiG_Eater wrote:I'm hoping this won't affect display lines. Whereabouts are they camped?

on the field at the end of the 06 runway (not the M11 side). basically just outside the boundary of the airfield

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Wed 12 Sep 2018, 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Load up Sally-B. :cuppa:

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

davidjones533 wrote:If they're actually camped in the field at the end of the runway then I don't see how the show can go ahead. You can't have one rule for the general public and another for tress-passers.

I was planning on going on Sunday, but I'm now going to wait until Saturday night before buying a ticket to see how things play out.

Quite. What a bunch of selfish morons. (And before anybody criticises me, i'd be saying this of *anyone* camped illegally at the end of a runway).

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Interesting to see if the police will be quite so willing and eager to step in and remove them from the field as they are to move on a few photographers...

Out of interest, have they moved into a closer field? I drove past last week and they were in a field some way from the end of the runway - the condition of which was already looking like something from the Somme.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Interesting to see if the police will be quite so willing and eager to step in and remove them from the field as they are to move on a few photographers...

Out of interest, have they moved into a closer field? I drove past last week and they were in a field some way from the end of the runway - the condition of which was already looking like something from the Somme.

they have i believe. they were moved off that one and have taken up residence on one right next to the airfield

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

I still keep getting promotional emails telling me to book and come to the show so I assume it's still going ahead at the moment?
...Rad shutters auto.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

As I posted on the previous page :roll:

The show will go on says IWM Duxford - despite travellers illegally camping close by.

A large group of travellers, with about 20 caravans, have moved onto land close to the museum with just days to go before one of its famous air shows is staged.

They are believed to be the same group of travellers that were camped illegally on land half a mile down the road near Thriplow.

In a statement, IWM Duxford said: "We are working with the relevant authorities to resolve the situation. We intend to hold this weekend’s Duxford Air Festival as planned and IWM Duxford remains open as normal. Any further updates will be posted on @IWMDuxford."

Cambridgeshire police said it was aware of the issue.

A spokesman told the News: “We are aware of a traveller encampment at Duxford airfield. The usual visits and assessments have been carried out by the force and the county council is aware."

The land is owned by Gonville and Caius College which police said was leading efforts to evict the travellers. The News has contacted the college for a comment.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... w-14695437

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

"Going ahead" does not necessarily mean the flying won't be affected.

Call me reactionary, but I can really see this turning into a disaster!

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Pen Pusher wrote:As I posted on the previous page :roll:

The show will go on says IWM Duxford - despite travellers illegally camping close by.

A large group of travellers, with about 20 caravans, have moved onto land close to the museum with just days to go before one of its famous air shows is staged.

They are believed to be the same group of travellers that were camped illegally on land half a mile down the road near Thriplow.

In a statement, IWM Duxford said: "We are working with the relevant authorities to resolve the situation. We intend to hold this weekend’s Duxford Air Festival as planned and IWM Duxford remains open as normal. Any further updates will be posted on @IWMDuxford."

Cambridgeshire police said it was aware of the issue.

A spokesman told the News: “We are aware of a traveller encampment at Duxford airfield. The usual visits and assessments have been carried out by the force and the county council is aware."

The land is owned by Gonville and Caius College which police said was leading efforts to evict the travellers. The News has contacted the college for a comment.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... w-14695437

Brian

The key phrase here is "We intend to hold this weekend’s Duxford Air Festival
"

i expect that they are planning to go ahead as planned because they have to assume they will. but ultimately they could be shut down by the police of CAA so it might not be their call, regardless of their intentions.

i'm sure something will be done. it's in the interest of the local economy that these events go ahead

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

We're having a big problem with groups of 'travellers' shuttling between public parks in the West Midlands as well with all the attendant problems such as fly tipping and anti social behaviour etc.

IMHO its high time the Law was changed to move 'trespass' from Common Law to Criminal Law (Tommy will no doubt be along in a bit to tell why that hasn't /can't happen). The current provision in Law is clearly insufficient.

The Police are always telling us if we drive our vehicles without VED, a valid MoT or insurance our vehicles can be confiscated and crushed. I would be very surprised if the 50+ families who have moved onto the field next to Duxford have all their vehicle documents in order so what is the Police explanation for their inaction on this matter, other than the usual overly PC mutterings about not wanting to be seen to be discriminating.

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

The police have a very difficult line to tread with the travelling community and it's unfair to say that its all about worries over political correctness. There are plenty of policies and laws both British and European which must be accounted for in the way these specific minority ethnic communities are treated. Often local authorities don't help themselves as they don't provide the sites which they are supposed to. As a result moving people on from innapropriate sites is much harder.

As always it's me being the PC loony left agitator!

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

I'm afraid I'm with Mig Eater on this one.
They might well be saying the event will go ahead but with these new CAA 'rules' how can aircraft fly over the travellers (which to all intents and purposes make them a 'secondary crowd)' if people aren't allowed to watch from that field under normal circumstances? :wall:
Maybe it'll just be aircraft doing taxi demos?

Here's hoping I'm proved completely wrong.... :dunno:
...Rad shutters auto.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Paul_Reflex wrote:The police have a very difficult line to tread with the travelling community and it's unfair to say that its all about worries over political correctness. There are plenty of policies and laws both British and European which must be accounted for in the way these specific minority ethnic communities are treated. Often local authorities don't help themselves as they don't provide the sites which they are supposed to. As a result moving people on from innapropriate sites is much harder.

Whether or not they are part of a minority ethnic group has absolutely nothing to do with it. If they want to live in a caravan then they should pay to pitch up at a camp site. The idea that local councils (ie, you and I) should be forced to pay for areas for them to stay makes no sense to me at all. Maybe i'm missing something.

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

MiG_Eater wrote:
Paul_Reflex wrote:The police have a very difficult line to tread with the travelling community and it's unfair to say that its all about worries over political correctness. There are plenty of policies and laws both British and European which must be accounted for in the way these specific minority ethnic communities are treated. Often local authorities don't help themselves as they don't provide the sites which they are supposed to. As a result moving people on from innapropriate sites is much harder.

Whether or not they are part of a minority ethnic group has absolutely nothing to do with it. If they want to live in a caravan then they should pay to pitch up at a camp site. The idea that local councils (ie, you and I) should be forced to pay for areas for them to stay makes no sense to me at all. Maybe i'm missing something.

It has everything to do with it as that's the way the law is framed. The local authorities have a statutory duty to provide sites and the authorities that do have much more power to move people on from innapropriate sites. That's just the way it is, whether or not it makes sense to you and I.

neilos

Post by neilos »

According to the 'Royston Reporting' Facebook page, they've been served notice to leave. If they're not left by 7pm tonight, then the bailiffs will move in tomorrow to remove them.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Paul_Reflex wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:

It has everything to do with it as that's the way the law is framed. The local authorities have a statutory duty to provide sites and the authorities that do have much more power to move people on from innapropriate sites. That's just the way it is, whether or not it makes sense to you and I.

This is drifting away from aviation and into politics, but if a law makes absolutely no sense and is self-evidently ridiculous i'm afraid I am going to complain about it loudly rather than just roll over and take it. I utterly refuse to consider anybody's ethnicity as an important characteristic about that person. I would hate to be judged in that way by others and, although you appear to be doing so in order to protect this particular group - I think it's quite patronising.

If they want to go camping, I have nothing against them pitching up at my local caravan and camping site and I wish them well, but this kind of thing is, and should remain, utterly unacceptable.

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

MiG_Eater wrote:
Paul_Reflex wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:

This is drifting away from aviation and into politics, but if a law makes absolutely no sense and is self-evidently ridiculous i'm afraid I am going to complain about it loudly rather than just roll over and take it. I utterly refuse to consider anybody's ethnicity as an important characteristic about that person. I would hate to be judged in that way by others and, although you appear to be doing so in order to protect this particular group - I think it's quite patronising.

If they want to go camping, I have nothing against them pitching up at my local caravan and camping site and I wish them well, but this kind of thing is, and should remain, utterly unacceptable.

I'm conscious of the thread drift and I do take responsibility for my part in that. However I don't take any responsibility for the accusation that I'm patronising anyone. I've not advocated in anything I've said for any approach to this issue and have just tried to illustrate the legislative and policy context. If you don't agree with it you can make efforts to have it changed in any way you feel will be effective.

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

neilos wrote:According to the 'Royston Reporting' Facebook page, they've been served notice to leave. If they're not left by 7pm tonight, then the bailiffs will move in tomorrow to remove them.

The Irony if they move on tonight..................and then set up camp in the Naughty Field.............or the Tank Bank :lol: :lol: :lol:

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Paul_Reflex wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:
Paul_Reflex wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:

I'm conscious of the thread drift and I do take responsibility for my part in that. However I don't take any responsibility for the accusation that I'm patronising anyone. I've not advocated in anything I've said for any approach to this issue and have just tried to illustrate the legislative and policy context. If you don't agree with it you can make efforts to have it changed in any way you feel will be effective.

Reading through your posts... you're actually dead right. Apologies.

Nevertheless I definitely strongly disagree with the laws you mentioned, but regardless - looks like hopefully this won't be an issue over the weekend.

Now what's next... toilets or weather?

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

Thanks Mig Eater, I really appreciate that. I realise it's an emotive subject.

Let's hope it's all resolved in time for the weekend.

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Weather :sad: . I can only do a day trip for Friday arrivals/rehearsals, from North Wales and it's looking more than a little iffy at the moment.......