Duxford Air Festival 2018

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
rambo

Re: Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by rambo »

sdad wrote:2) If it is for three days, how can any of the airshow happen apart from the one act?

Thanks.

The notam is for 24th May 12:55 to 13:55, and 27th May 15:40 to 16:40. Therefore the practise display will be around 2-3pm Thursday, and then actual display around 5pm on Sunday.
Last edited by rambo on Sun 20 May 2018, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Think I'll give this one a miss, new lens, dogs just give me a big vet bill so I can only do one the next three shows, Duxford, OW and Cosford. There's just not enough on offer to make the trip and something is telling me not to go to Duxford. I think I've been spoilt by the OW bug.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

For somewere that has a very packed out crowdline anyway. Very dissapointed. If you want to sit in the Grandstand it takes you up to 47 for a ticket. Stinks. Not sure i’ll be attending.

sdad

Post by sdad »

rambo, thanks. I had not realised the significance of the very last line.

MarkEstus

Post by MarkEstus »

Hi all'
I have never been to an Air Show other than RIAT and was looking at attending Duxford this coming weekend however some things have confused me..
1. why is there a ticket to view the static line ?
2. parking permit ?
3. why is it so expensive when more aircraft attend abingdon air and country fayre

The website is extremely confusing and difficult to navigate aswell and with the aircraft confirmations now complete don't seem worth the cost or travel :cuppa:
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/332375753559900/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Hi Mark,

If RIAT is your benchmark be prepared for a culture shock at Duxford.

The 'flightline walk' is not a ticket to view the static aircraft but a ticket to photograph flying aircraft on the ground up close. I've never done it myself, but many really enjoy it.

Duxford is very expensive in comparison to comparable airshows, but they charge what they can sell. The car park pass is, in my view, a good idea to try and reduce the number of cars on site. Unfortunately traffic management at Duxford is virtually non existent until you get to the exit gate and therefore expect long delays getting out!

I hope you enjoy your day, although i'm afraid to say it seems May 2017 was *the* Duxford airshow to attend.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

MarkEstus wrote:Hi all'
I have never been to an Air Show other than RIAT and was looking at attending Duxford this coming weekend however some things have confused me..
1. why is there a ticket to view the static line ?
2. parking permit ?
3. why is it so expensive when more aircraft attend abingdon air and country fayre

The website is extremely confusing and difficult to navigate aswell and with the aircraft confirmations now complete don't seem worth the cost or travel :cuppa:

as MiG_Eater says, prefer for a massive culture shock if you have only been to RIAT as duxford is totally different.

parking permits are largely because parking around there is sparse so they try to get people to find other methods of getting there, ie a local shuttle bus, to reduce stress on local roads.

This is the first time I have done the May air show, the battle of britain one in september is going to be the big RAF100 celebration event there, and with flying legends this represents probably the weakest of the three shows. annoyingly flying legends is on the same weekend this year.

it is expensive, but we are getting the patrouille de france which is a bonus.

NTFC1

Post by NTFC1 »

Has anybody on here ever watched an airshow from duxford school?.....What's the view like?,how busy does it get?,what times best to get there?
I've only ever heard of people parking at the school then walking on elsewhere.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

No Mustang, Warhawk, Blenheim, Strikemaster, Vampire, Curtis Hawk 75 ... and one Spitfire :tumbleweed:

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Vampire, MiG-15 or Gnats would have really made this show for me. Oh well!

At least we'll see the Jug and Rafale!

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

50+ travellers caravans have set up at in a field at the western end of the runway, between the Pet Crematorium and the Airfield today apparently.
I wonder if that will affect the the flying display ?

Petedcollins

Post by Petedcollins »

paullangford wrote:50+ travellers caravans have set up at in a field at the western end of the runway, between the Pet Crematorium and the Airfield today apparently.

God knows but it cant be good
Last edited by Petedcollins on Tue 22 May 2018, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

paullangford wrote:50+ travellers caravans have set up at in a field at the western end of the runway, between the Pet Crematorium and the Airfield today apparently.

apparently they have been on and off of the fields around there for the past month or so. will be interesting to see what impact it has

neilos

Post by neilos »

I don’t know if it’s the same lot, but, they’ve already been kicked off twice on the ground to the side of the Pet Crem.

This occasion, looks like they’ve moved closer to the airfield!

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

Maybe a chance for a role demo with live ammo?

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

BrawlerO wrote:Maybe a chance for a role demo with live ammo?

That's a disgraceful comment to make. They are still people even if they lead a life which you don't approve of. You should be ashamed.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

The travellers have been around the area since the start of the month.

At least 10 caravans were spotted pitched up in a field off the A505 on May 8, despite a court order being issued against trespassing on the land.

He also claimed the costs of removing the travellers from land near the pet crematorium has already amounted to between three and four thousand pounds.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... n-14687188

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

F35 in hover above them, that'll move them along!

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Sally-B doing power checks at the 06 end. :whistle:

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

To raise a currently popular topic, what we have here is 'Catch 22'. Just as a bunch of 'freeloading enfusiarsts' can't be there for the flying to happen, surely a bunch of freeloading tarmac-spreading lucky-heather purveyors can't be there either? :facepalm:
I'm watching this one with interest.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

maybe they have just come to do a last minute relaying of the runway.................. yeah i'll get my coat

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

rockfordstone wrote:maybe they have just come to do a last minute relaying of the runway.................. yeah i'll get my coat

Haha

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

Paul_Reflex wrote:
BrawlerO wrote:Maybe a chance for a role demo with live ammo?

That's a disgraceful comment to make. They are still people even if they lead a life which you don't approve of. You should be ashamed.

After experiencing these trespassers, flytippers, animal abusers, tax avoiders and general opters-out of the rules everyone else has to follow...illegally camping on a field near me recently...I actually feel no shame at all!

Sorry if you found my comment disgraceful but I am still a person even if I lead a life you don’t approve of.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

The show will go on says IWM Duxford - despite travellers illegally camping close by.

A large group of travellers, with about 20 caravans, have moved onto land close to the museum with just days to go before one of its famous air shows is staged.

They are believed to be the same group of travellers that were camped illegally on land half a mile down the road near Thriplow.

In a statement, IWM Duxford said: "We are working with the relevant authorities to resolve the situation. We intend to hold this weekend’s Duxford Air Festival as planned and IWM Duxford remains open as normal. Any further updates will be posted on @IWMDuxford."

Cambridgeshire police said it was aware of the issue.

A spokesman told the News: “We are aware of a traveller encampment at Duxford airfield. The usual visits and assessments have been carried out by the force and the county council is aware."

The land is owned by Gonville and Caius College which police said was leading efforts to evict the travellers. The News has contacted the college for a comment.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... w-14695437

Brian

DfG on Facebook

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I'm hoping this won't affect display lines. Whereabouts are they camped?