Russian Knights at the show

All the chat about the bi-annual spectacular
Flankerman

Re: Russian Knights at the show

Post by Flankerman »

I would caution against too much excitement......

I've seen the Knights regularly over the years - at Zhukovsky and Gelendzhik - and I don't recall seeing a Cobra.

That was the domain of Anatoly Kvochure in the Red/White/Blue Su-27P/Su-30 of the 'Test Pilots' team.

The Knights singleton certainly does a tailslide - sometimes accompanied by descending into the flares.

The four-ship - and sometimes a pair of them - finish the routine with a spiralling climbout popping off flares.

or....

.... but no Cobra I'm afraid ...... I'd love to be proved wrong though.....

Ken

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Nice pics Ken,take it these weren't taken on that Sat last year in the MAKS equliavant of FRIAT :lol:

I thought they performed a cobra,my mistake.

Might see you in same place this year if they get round to building the scaffolding again!

Cheers.

AMB

Post by AMB »

Superb shots Ken, but I thought I read that both the Russian Knights and the Swifts were going to be disbanded at the end of last year?
Adrian

st24

Post by st24 »

Flankerman wrote:I would caution against too much excitement......

I've seen the Knights regularly over the years - at Zhukovsky and Gelendzhik - and I don't recall seeing a Cobra.

That was the domain of Anatoly Kvochure in the Red/White/Blue Su-27P/Su-30 of the 'Test Pilots' team.

The Knights singleton certainly does a tailslide - sometimes accompanied by descending into the flares.

The four-ship - and sometimes a pair of them - finish the routine with a spiralling climbout popping off flares.

.... but no Cobra I'm afraid ...... I'd love to be proved wrong though.....

Ken

A couple of tail slides here and a cobra that seems to fall away into a spiral...

boff180 wrote:
st24 wrote:Anyone seen the knights solo?? Are we in for cobra'ing and tail sliding a plenty?? :heyhey:

Vid here...
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=43034#p427740
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

T_J

Post by T_J »

Something to keep an eye on if the Russians attempt to send military equipment to Syria! Apparently the MV Alaed was carrying a consignment of Hinds to Syria when it was forced to turn back off the UK. If relations break down over the issue then there won't be any Flankers at Farnborough.

In a statement earlier, the FCO said: "We are aware of a ship carrying a consignment of refurbished Russian-made attack helicopters heading to Syria.The foreign secretary made clear to Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov when they met on 14 June that all defence shipments to Syria must stop.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-h ... s-18503421

TonyO

Post by TonyO »

I hope they didn't pay for the Knights up front! Could we loose the Yak-130 as well?
Do you want the Aladeen news or the Aladeen news?

Captain Skyhawk

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

As far as I know, the ship had its insurance cover cancelled by its London-based insurers. Not the same as the Royal Navy or even the FCO turning it back. It just happened to be in or near UK waters when this happened. The insurers may have had some pressure from the UK (and US) governments, but not the same thing as us telling them to get their tank(buster)s off our lawn. I doubt this will directly affect Russian participation.

CS

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Captain Skyhawk wrote:As far as I know, the ship had its insurance cover cancelled by its London-based insurers. Not the same as the Royal Navy or even the FCO turning it back. It just happened to be in or near UK waters when this happened. The insurers may have had some pressure from the UK (and US) governments, but not the same thing as us telling them to get their tank(buster)s off our lawn. I doubt this will directly affect Russian participation.

CS

The Insurance cover was cancelled by order (reported in press by the "request") of the UK Government.

The Hinds were already owned by Syria and had been sent to Russia for Upgrade/Refurbishment and were on their return journey.

Andy

T_J

Post by T_J »

The issue of the Russians (Rosoboronexport) attending Farnborough has been raised in Parliament. Apparently Mr Hague is considering the matter.

An FCO spokesman said that Mr Hague was still considering the matter, but added: "Farnborough International Air Show is a commercial event run by Farnborough International Ltd. The British Government plays no part in deciding which companies are invited to the event."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... yria.html#

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

God let's hope politics and the bloody press don't go and scupper what would have been one of the highlights of the airshow season.

effects

Post by effects »

Now on the offy site as flying all week.
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

fighterfoto

Post by fighterfoto »

Confirmed officially by FIA today. Two SU27 with one flying each day including the public days. Also made clear it will be their only UK appearance.

Offbreed

Post by Offbreed »

Russia grounds SU27 fleet after one crashes, bit of a worry for Farnborough.

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Offbreed wrote:Russia grounds SU27 fleet after one crashes, bit of a worry for Farnborough.

Standard procedure in Russia until the cause of the crash is known. They believe the investigation will take 2 days, already being reported that it was a bird strike to an engine!

If that is the case, they'll e flying again next week.

Andy

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Glad the pilots are okay and there were no injuries on the ground. Fingers crossed for Farnborough, it's the only reason I'm going! :shock: