Thoughts on the show (Merged)

All the chat about the bi-annual spectacular
Russ

Re: Thoughts on the show (Merged)

Post by Russ »

I agree the show is broken beyond repair. I had similar experiences in 2008 and 2010, but 2012 was without a doubt the worst yet and indeed the worst show I've ever been to.

Tony is of course right, no airline/air arm negotiates a multi billion pound deal in the space of Farnborough week.

For what was once such a prestigious airshow, this year Farnborough failed on some of the very basics that even tiny airshows get right, such as toilets, security and a PA system. How the mighty have fallen. A shame really as many of my favourite airshow moments I've experienced at Farnborough, such as the MiG-29, Su-27, An-124 and An-225 débuts. And the problems are entirely self-inflicted too. :down:

flygirl

Post by flygirl »

Farborough the so called Showcase ! What a total let down , get your act together for 2014 :question: :whistle:
We're not lost. We're locationally challenged. http://planemadanna.blogspot.com/

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

What was the reason the Tornados did not fly? And I got in very easy on Saturday gave them me E-ticket and in I go :biggrin: fly girl for 2014 they got an ex duxford organiser in to do the show :smile:

James
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham

Suki

Post by Suki »

I went to the Dunsfold wings and wheels show two years ago and I thought that was better than Farnborough. FIA can't compete with a village?! :confused:

flygirl

Post by flygirl »

JBartlett wrote:What was the reason the Tornados did not fly? And I got in very easy on Saturday gave them me E-ticket and in I go :biggrin: fly girl for 2014 they got an ex duxford organiser in to do the show :smile:

James

Well that sounds like good news :smile: Lets just hope they can turn the mess this lot have made of it! :mad: :mad:
We're not lost. We're locationally challenged. http://planemadanna.blogspot.com/

F-86

Post by F-86 »

JBartlett wrote:What was the reason the Tornados did not fly? And I got in very easy on Saturday gave them me E-ticket and in I go :biggrin: fly girl for 2014 they got an ex duxford organiser in to do the show :smile:

James

The reason the Tornados didn't fly was the weather at the time of their slot.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Russ makes a good point. FIA used to be one of THE shows around the World and a glance at my programmes from the late 70s etc shows what a great show it used to be. Rare prototypes (remember the Firecracker? or the Optica or EFA or Mirage 4000 or F-20?) used to stay for the public days. Perhaps the organisers have relied too much on previous shows and their historic status rather than look to the present and the future.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

APG

Post by APG »

Lot of hope being placed on Jeanne Frazer replacing Rod Dean, she will be working to the same rules and regulations as this year so the flying will not be any different.

Some very blinkered approaches to trade aircraft participation in this thread, apart from Tony no one has considered the contraction of the aerospace industry and the global recession both of which are and have effected the major trade shows in the last years, Paris is just the same as Farnborough. Major players were very much noted for not being at Farnborough this year.

The general consensus around the industry media is that RIAT will be the flying display and Farnborough the exhibition in years to come...

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

The recession doesn't force the juicy new stuff to bugger off before Joe Public can enjoy them, though, does it?

Abingdonman

Post by Abingdonman »

Shame the Russians pulled out last minute,and the weather didnt help :mad:
I only ever did 1 Farnborough,and perhaps it was the last decent public days they had...July 2006.
Flying programme was pretty juicy.....
RAF Falcons - C130 flypast - Airbus 340 - Airbus 380 - B1B flypast - Osprey - F/A 18F - Apache - HAL advanced light helicopter - HAL advanced jet trainer - Gripen - Tucano - Harrier GR7 - Typhoon - Tornado GR4 - Merlin - Chinook -
F16 - Spitfire PRX1X - ITAF Tornado - Aeromacchi M346 - Alenia C27J - FRA Falcon pair - Slingsby Firefly T-67 -
Ultimate high Extra 300 - Fox glider - The Blue Eagles - Mig 29OVT - BBMF - Catalina - Carolyn Grace Sptifire Mk9 -
Red Arrows.
now that was worth every penny!

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

APG wrote:Lot of hope being placed on Jeanne Frazer replacing Rod Dean, she will be working to the same rules and regulations as this year so the flying will not be any different.

Some very blinkered approaches to trade aircraft participation in this thread, apart from Tony no one has considered the contraction of the aerospace industry and the global recession both of which are and have effected the major trade shows in the last years, Paris is just the same as Farnborough. Major players were very much noted for not being at Farnborough this year.

The general consensus around the industry media is that RIAT will be the flying display and Farnborough the exhibition in years to come...

Don't think anyone is suggesting Jeanne will be able to make the display nearer/lower, just that she might have some fresh ideas re booking aircraft or perhaps an interesting formation or two - for example there was an opportunity last week to fly our guest from Korea with the Reds in formation perhaps, just a thought. It all seemed to lack imagination. One thing Farnie does have going for it is the proximity of the crowdline to the runway - can't think of any show where you will get closer to a hard runway.

F-86

Post by F-86 »

UKTopgun wrote:
APG wrote:Lot of hope being placed on Jeanne Frazer replacing Rod Dean, she will be working to the same rules and regulations as this year so the flying will not be any different.

Don't think anyone is suggesting Jeanne will be able to make the display nearer/lower, just that she might have some fresh ideas re booking aircraft or perhaps an interesting formation or two - for example there was an opportunity last week to fly our guest from Korea with the Reds in formation perhaps, just a thought. It all seemed to lack imagination. One thing Farnie does have going for it is the proximity of the crowdline to the runway - can't think of any show where you will get closer to a hard runway.

Oh well at least there will be a Piper Cub in the flying display next time. :whistle:

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

DamienB wrote:The recession doesn't force the juicy new stuff to bugger off before Joe Public can enjoy them, though, does it?

No it's the manufacturers who do that,who probably don't want to have an aircraft sitting doing nothing productive for an extra 3-4 days when it can be getting on with testing or fitting out for the customer

yasushicho

Post by yasushicho »

My first airshow since I was about 10 years old, now 25. Decided to go on Friday to try and avoid the crowds that I expected there would be on the weekend. I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to all things aviation. But have really become interested in the last year. (More on the Civil side than Military) So I was just looking to learn a bit more and enjoy the day.

Maybe I'm hard to please but in terms of what was on the ground I was bored. I feel bad in saying it but I was.
I didn't see one thing in the exhibtion halls that got me interested which is fine as I understand they were for trade side of things.
So on the ground what was there for the public to see and do??? I thought the Virgin Galactic area would be really interesting, but all I found were some photos on the wall, people sitting around on the floor and people trying to sell mobile phones in the middle. With such an exciting and unique project they could have done soo much.
Considering Boeing and Airbus have such a big presence there what did they do for the public on the ground?? I saw lots of tents/Chalet things but it appeared not for the public. There was the Airbus Shop (Sorry Boutique!) you were allowed in... that made me laugh...
Yes there were planes parked on the ground, some interesting some not so much but you couldn't go on 90% them. Some didn't even have a board infront telling you what plane it was. Also was it me or did it seem unnecessarily complicated to get around, A bit more of an open plan would have been more pleasant.
The Air display - the A380 was great, as was the F18 and the Brietling Team. Unfortunately I didn't hear any commentary, the line up seemed a bit thin and it all felt a bit far away.

Overall, me and my girlfriend both agreed we enjoyed the hour or so before we got our flight at Gatwick airport last month more than the airshow. The parking easier, the secruity quicker, the food cheaper and better £1.80 for a packet of crisps! £2 for a bottle of water! Give me a break! More planes and better views (Loving the bridge going over the taxiways)
I have been to many non air shows and events around the world and this is by far the most disapointing event I have been to. I'm not sure exactly what Farnborough contribute themselves maybe its more the companies that are displaying but they didn't seem to care one bit about the non trade visitors and to me showed a complete lack of imagination with the ground displays.
Last time at Farnborough for sure, maybe even the last airshow, a shame as I was really looking forward to it.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Reply from Organisers......

Mr Stocks,

Thank you for your email and the link.

We are always grateful for any feedback we receive on the show and these comments have therefore been noted and will be taken forward into our debrief process in order that we can make improvements for future shows.

Thank you again for taking the time to email.

Kind regards,

Sam.

Farnborough International Limited (FIL)

Russ

Post by Russ »

Good. If they're true to their word there will be massive positive changes in 2014 now.

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Glad you got a 'reply'. I haven't heard a thing from my email of 2 weeks ago, they just don't care, they have my money and that's all that matters. I've seen better customer service in McDonalds.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

pbeardmore wrote:Rare prototypes, remember the Firecracker? or the Optica or EFA or Mirage 4000 or F-20?

Yes!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

flygirl

Post by flygirl »

Farnborough 2012 Most "DIRE" AirShow ever ! Glad I saved money and stayed this side of the wire! :smile:

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

flygirl wrote:
JBartlett wrote:What was the reason the Tornados did not fly? And I got in very easy on Saturday gave them me E-ticket and in I go :biggrin: fly girl for 2014 they got an ex duxford organiser in to do the show

James

Well that sounds like good news Lets just hope they can turn the mess this lot have made of it!

Yeah let's hope so be good, I mean there were some good acts this year but more display teams fast jets and more airliners as I think the A380 was the best display :shock: :clap:

F-86 wrote:

James

Was that the pilots? As at the Margate airshow last year the weather was much worse and got a nice sole GR4 as the other one failed, bit embarrassing seeing as the Wingwalkers & A380 had the worst of the weather

James
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham

flygirl

Post by flygirl »

James

Well she better be good ! me thinks she needs to be a Rottweiler in Lipgloss to turn Farnborough 2014 around! :question: :whistle:

F-86

Post by F-86 »

JBartlett wrote:
flygirl wrote:
JBartlett wrote:What was the reason the Tornados did not fly? And I got in very easy on Saturday gave them me E-ticket and in I go :biggrin: fly girl for 2014 they got an ex duxford organiser in to do the show

James

Well that sounds like good news Lets just hope they can turn the mess this lot have made of it!

Yeah let's hope so be good, I mean there were some good acts this year but more display teams fast jets and more airliners as I think the A380 was the best display :shock: :clap:

F-86 wrote:

James

Was that the pilots? As at the Margate airshow last year the weather was much worse and got a nice sole GR4 as the other one failed, bit embarrassing seeing as the Wingwalkers & A380 had the worst of the weather

James
That's what the Tornado team put on Twitter.

Blacklab

Post by Blacklab »

I haven't been to an airshow since Greenham Common in the 1970s so I haven't anything recent to compare Sunday's Farnborough display with, but my thoughts are as follows. Traffic going in was not too bad, very busy coming off the dual carriageway due to drivers in the outside lane cutting in at the last minute, although I had factored in some additional time. After that it was quite smooth getting to the car park and the shuttle bus in worked very well. Security was poor, I handed over my tickets but the person on the gate didn't even look at them, I could probably have walked straight in. The baggage/possessions checks didn't apply to people with children, huh?! I was very impressed with the variety and quality of the display, particularly enjoyed the fast jets. I'm not a regular "enthusiast" so perhaps not as well informed as others to comment, but to someone with a general interest it was great fun. Price wise not too bad, particularly as children were free so I didn't have to pay for my daughter. Good range of eating places and a good bar, but food prices were in my view aimed at extracting the maximum out of a captive audience. Maybe picnic sandwiches next time. I found it quite crowded but I guess that is a sign of the times (not quite what I remembered from the 70s!). The commentary was quite good, could have been covered a wider area but then again it was nice to have the option of no commentary. Exit was a bit chaotic, the shuttle bus queue was a free for all rather than an orderly queue. More buses would have been good. Having said that it was easy to get out of the car park and back onto the main road. All in all, 7 out of 10.

Chris IL-76

Post by Chris IL-76 »

Thoughts on the show......well considering i bought my ticket to see the Russian Knights and the IL-76....not a happy bunny!

The An-12 helped and that was a support aircraft!!

Thank goodness Fairford was good.

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

flygirl wrote:Farnborough 2012 Most "DIRE" AirShow ever ! Glad I saved money and stayed this side of the wire! :smile:

I take it you didn't attend the "Humberside Air Show" in the early 90s. Fog all morning followed by a very lacklustre display in the afternoon. The only saving grace was that a Concorde landed late morning and took off in the afternoon. May have been the only time a Concorde visited Humberside Airport?
Last edited by phreakf4 on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....