Thoughts on the show (Merged)

All the chat about the bi-annual spectacular
DDM10

Re: Thoughts on the show (Merged)

Post by DDM10 »

Farnborough 2012 Most "DIRE" AirShow ever ! Glad I saved money and stayed this side of the wire!

I've been to RNAS Culdrose airday every year since 2007 and that was the last time it didn't rain. And I am talking proper Cornish rain, persistent, with fog and low cloud. I remember a particularly bad year when nothing flew at all, apart from the Sea King search and rescue helicopter based there and I think that was to save the local villagers from drowning! Me and a couple of mates (who had each paid £20), sat in the grandstand staring at the floor, getting wetter and wetter for about 3 hours till we gave up and went back to the campsite, (the statics are crap).

The year before we had sat in the hangar in exactly the same conditions, it looked like a rescue centre for flood victims, a very miserable place if it wasn't for the marine band. Last year the weather was equally poor, so we sat in the car all morning listening to the radio, when we heard at 1pm that the Red Arrows hadn't even left RAF Scampton, we gave up and went bowling. This year mercifully it's not on due to the Olympics, how me and my mates have stayed friends going through that each year I don't know...

...so not the worst airday I've ever been to, by a long chalk. Not even a concorde.
"Well Ted, as I said last time, it won't happen again."

Andrew McP

Post by Andrew McP »

I've somewhat reluctantly trimmed airshows from my budget since Biggin died and took much of my enthusiasm with it. But I do keep an eye on things via you guys and I just thought I'd say that IMO Farnborough took a calculated gamble on the Russians turning up.

Let's face it, if they'd displayed it wouldn't have mattered if everyone else had cancelled. :-) I only read about the Knights after they'd already cancelled, but if they'd come I'd have been on the first train every day I could get there, despite having to work all night. Some things are worth some pain. :-)

It's nice to see people still enjoying the A380 though. I saw it at Farnborough for the first time 4 years ago and was amazed at how impressed I was. I guess watching a small tower block being thrown effortless around the skies never loses its appeal. :->

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

"Public Inconvenience" - Andy Evans was present on the trade days for UKAR.

Image Image Image Image Image

TonyO

Post by TonyO »

Seems to have got off rather lightly given some of the slating the show has been given on here...
Do you want the Aladeen news or the Aladeen news?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

TonyO wrote:Seems to have got off rather lightly given some of the slating the show has been given on here...

Russ will be sharing his thoughts on the public days in an editor's blog either this week or next (not sure when he's back from holiday). :wink:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Well just to confirm their attitude towards the public, I did not receive any reply to my e-mail complaint.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

APG

Post by APG »

misleading news reports coming from Russia of a large fast jet contingent taking part

I think your find that was actually members of UKAR not being able to read press releases correctly, the Russian Manufacturers at no stage said they were sending any fast jets

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Have to disagree APG, if anything it was poorly written press reports not press releases from the manufacturer. To quote one in question...

Su-35 aircraft equipped with Irbis radar, Su-32 (export version of Su-34), MiG-35 and new Yak-130 operational trainer will be presented in the military aviation section.

Andy

jimjiber

Post by jimjiber »

I don't think I will even bother paying to park in a field this year. Used to be that every year we would get to see something we never saw before - SR-71, F-117, B-1B, F-22 - now it is just the same old Belgian F-16s, followed by Dutch F-16s, then a Spartan, followed by an F-18 if we are lucky and then perhaps a Typhoon. And some parachutists. And a couple of Lynx's doing ballet.

*yawn*

Seriously there only has to be ONE special visitor and all the rest is fine but this year there is nothing. Why do we never get F-15s? I know there are financial and logistical reasons behind all of this but my dream would be to see ANY of the following:

F-14
F-104 (if anyone is brave enough to fly one!)
F-111
F-4 Phantom (amazed I never saw one fly)
EE Lightning
MiG 21

Last time I got excited was the F-22 a few years ago - it was like watching something from another planet - and the Osprey at Farnborough a few years ago.

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Crazy rant considering there's no Farnborough show this year..! :grin: :ninja:

I suspect you're looking for the RIAT thread?

jimjiber

Post by jimjiber »

yeah i clicked in the wrong forum

i am going off to kill myself

sorry

effects

Post by effects »

Classic!!
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)