2014 Tickets - Rip Off?

All the chat about the bi-annual spectacular
boff180
UKAR Staff

2014 Tickets - Rip Off?

Post by boff180 »

So it seems after the disaster that was the 2012 Farnborough public days, Farnborough have delusions of grandeur and believe their 2014 public day show is going to be worth RIAT prices!

Trade Days
Advanced Purchase = £31.50
On the Day = £40.50

Fabulous Farnborough Friday (aka Enthusiast Day with limited tickets)
Adult or Child = £31.50
Fabulous Friday Package Adult or Child (Grandstand) = £59

Public Days
Before December 2013 = £38 (free for Under 16s)
Before end of March 2013 = £42 (free for Under 16s)
Full price from 1/4/13 = £45 (free for Under 16s) ----- SAME AS RIAT 2013 FULL PRICE SATURDAY TICKET
Platinum Plus Package (2 course lunch, grandstand, program, VIP parking) = £109 (£69 for under 16s)
Platinum Package (Picnic hamper, grandstand, program, VIP parking) = £89 (£44 for under 16s)
Gold Package (Grandstand, program, VIP parking) = £79 (£34 for under 16s)
Silver Package (Deck Chair Enclosure) = £59 (£14 for under 16s)

I might do one trade day but unless the public days pull a RIAT style show out the bag with hundreds of aircraft they can get stuffed at that price. Kind of hammers home that RIAT is still good value compared to FIA of recent years.

Andy

Rule 27

Re: 2014 Tickets - Rip Off?

Post by Rule 27 »

£31 for a trade-day ticket up front isn't bad. Why anyone would attend a trade show after the trade show has finished is beyond me!

APG

Post by APG »

boff180 wrote:I might do one trade day but unless the public days pull a RIAT style show out the bag with hundreds of aircraft they can get stuffed at that price. Kind of hammers home that RIAT is still good value compared to FIA of recent years.

I can tell you now that you only want to do trade day(s) and no later than Weds.

Public days will be a good old fashioned UK airshow that just happens to be held at the same place that the Farnborough Trade show is at, you have been warned :wink:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

APG wrote:
boff180 wrote:I might do one trade day but unless the public days pull a RIAT style show out the bag with hundreds of aircraft they can get stuffed at that price. Kind of hammers home that RIAT is still good value compared to FIA of recent years.

I can tell you now that you only want to do trade day(s) and no later than Weds.

Public days will be a good old fashioned UK airshow that just happens to be held at the same place that the Farnborough Trade show is at, you have been warned :wink:

Yup did Tuesday and Wednesday last year ;-)

Russ

Post by Russ »

Scandalous pricing. There was so much wrong with the public days last night.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Russ wrote:Scandalous pricing. There was so much wrong with the public days last night.

A first for the UK show scene? :tongue2:

I was thinking about making my first visit to Farnborough this year but at double the price of Waddington I'll pass thanks
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

MarkL
UKAR Supporter

Post by MarkL »

A lot also depends on your reason for going. Farnborough has always been an opportunity to see new/rare/prototype aircraft and after 25 years of air displays, that part of the Farnborough experience I can take or leave. It all depends on why you go I guess. You also need to know I collect registrations... so of course I shouldn't be allowed an opinion as it's likely I am sub-human. It's a given the shows now don't match those of earlier years BUT the world has changed. What you do find, however, are some wonderful aircraft. I saw my first 787 at the last Farnborough as well as some other gems. If the fact you can't photograph these interesting aircraft in the way you would like makes it a waste of time/money I would question your aviation interest... but each to their own. Aircraft > aircraft photographs.

See you there !
HTAFC

john001

Post by john001 »

Looks like major competition for RIAT to me.

Not for anyone that reads this forum but for the majority of people who attend RIAT who just go for a day out and have a passing interest in the 'planes'.

45 quid - an adult and two kids under 16 more or less full day out - some will call in expensive - for others its a bargain. Close to London - large catchment area - bet there are over 90,000 'mugs' that turn up at the weekend.

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

HTFC wrote:A lot also depends on your reason for going. Farnborough has always been an opportunity to see new/rare/prototype aircraft and after 25 years of air displays, that part of the Farnborough experience I can take or leave. It all depends on why you go I guess. You also need to know I collect registrations... so of course I shouldn't be allowed an opinion as it's likely I am sub-human. It's a given the shows now don't match those of earlier years BUT the world has changed. What you do find, however, are some wonderful aircraft. I saw my first 787 at the last Farnborough as well as some other gems. If the fact you can't photograph these interesting aircraft in the way you would like makes it a waste of time/money I would question your aviation interest... but each to their own. Aircraft > aircraft photographs.

See you there !

However it has to be said that (and I include those who go for registrations in this as well) by the time the public days are held quite a lot of the interesting stuff has already left

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

so either they have taken a punt that it is such a strong event and brand in the eyes of the publlic that they can do this in an attempt to bring in more ticket revenue or they have invested in some research that supports this, either way, considering the overall feedback from the airshow fans, its a bold move.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sat 21 Jul 2018, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rule 27

Post by Rule 27 »

Yup! THe form is on the website, just fill it in and pay your money.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Farnborough heavily targets to central London audience with posters on the tube etc. It relies on being 40min train journey from Waterloo and a short bus ride to the show. This target audience just want a good day out and will be their only airshow of the year now that there are now more easily accessible shows from central London.
Trade tickets are easily purchased from the website with no checks, and go Monday-Wednesday or it's not worth it.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

with the internet spreading the word so quickly, I am surprised they are so lax in vetting the sale of trade tickets, after all the exhibitors are their to sell their hardware and enter into negotiations and create leads and they pay a hefty fee for that. I would not be happy to know that the trade days are open to all except kids and a growing number of visitors on those days have zero interest in buying my product. It also erodes the status of the event as they would want to promote those days as serious days for serious people and not guys like me with a bottle of squash, cling film wrapped ham sandwiches and a packet of Penguins.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

I have been going to the trade days for 20 years without any problem. You are looking at less than 100 people present on a trade day being spotters. Compare that with maybe 5000 being genuine corporate people.Most of them do not venture out onto the airfield until flying starts, if at all. It would be different if a couple of thousand of us turned up. It lovely finding a spot on the crown line as the first display aircraft taxies out, wish all shows were like that!

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

farnboroughrob wrote:I have been going to the trade days for 20 years without any problem. You are looking at less than 100 people present on a trade day being spotters. Compare that with maybe 5000 being genuine corporate people.Most of them do not venture out onto the airfield until flying starts, if at all. It would be different if a couple of thousand of us turned up. It lovely finding a spot on the crown line as the first display aircraft taxies out, wish all shows were like that!

Just to confirm what Rob says, here is a picture of the Grandstand 5 mins before the show started on the Thurs, free entry to granstand, only a few seem to manage to make the walk from the comfort of the main site, almost like the airshow is being put on for you only :smile:

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

I never knew you could go to the trade days if you weren't in the trade! I wish I had done that in 2012 as for me the star item was the A380.

2012 was my first Farnborough and I was enormously disappointed. It looked good, it looked really good which is why I spent the money but then it all changed at the last minute and went from great to grim. What's to say that the organisers will again promise so much and deliver so little? Unfortunately I'm all to aware of this now which is why I will never buy advanced tickets again for an air show.

Harlequin67
UKAR Supporter

Post by Harlequin67 »

I feel that Farnborough maybe best seen as a 2 day show for me.

A Tuesday or Wednesday for the complete trade show and associated visiting biz and the Friday.

Friday has been billed as an enthusiasts day in previous years, the airshow is in transition with the arrival of acts for the public days, with added trade bizjet movements and odd departing trade show item. this way you catch the majority of the airshow in 2 days.
Aviation photographer - Achievement unlocked

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Even for the trade days, £31 in advance is pretty steep! Also considering the Dubai Airshow trade pass was $50 which was access for the whole week! :shock:

Beefy

Post by Beefy »

PeterR wrote:Even for the trade days, £31 in advance is pretty steep! Also considering the Dubai Airshow trade pass was $50 which was access for the whole week! :shock:

It's called "Rip off Britain" :lmao:

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

There are ways round it, free entry all 5 trade days and come and go as you please weekends :cool: but I will let you lot work out how :ninja:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

I would happily pay £45 depending on the line up! :biggrin:
I'd pay that just to see the F22.

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

Any idea when the trade website will be up and running,every time I look it says January but no date,

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

Website is now up and running,just ordered my ticket for Monday.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Just ordered my trade tickets too, didn't even see any mention of it being trade only, just no under 16's. Link is https://secure.smartregister.co.uk/even ... start.aspx