How to get to end of runway field?

All the chat about the bi-annual spectacular
Harvo266

How to get to end of runway field?

Post by Harvo266 »

Hello I am planning on going to Farnborough this year and would like to go cheapskate and go at the end of the runway in the field a lot of people seem to go to. Could someone tell me how to get there by bicycle?
Nikon D500

Rampvan

Re: How to get to end of runway field?

Post by Rampvan »

Harvo266 wrote:Hello I am planning on going to Farnborough this year and would like to go cheapskate and go at the end of the runway in the field a lot of people seem to go to. Could someone tell me how to get there by bicycle?

From where are you coming on your bike !! and do you mean Southwood ?

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Assuming it is the place in the link this is not going to be easy to get to as the nearest parking placed has been closed by the army. This is on the A323 Fleet-Aldershot road and the best way would be to park either in Aldershot ot Flleet as near as the canal as possible and use the tow-path to cycle to Eelmoor Bridge and the walk across the road to the army land. IMHO there are better places to watch the flying as most of the flying aircraft will be distant. Try Cove Cricket club for a good view or stand at the side of the main road past the airport south side, although the sun can affect photography in these spots.

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

From Farnborough Main stn, and yes where that photo is taken
Nikon D500

Offbreed

Post by Offbreed »

This spot is not much good for trade days, unless you have big lenses or video zoom, 20X optical minimum,
the small aircraft and fast jets, don't come very near, the big airliners look ok,
but the telephoto videos can give the impression, they are nearer than they actually are, its best to go here
at the weekend, especially Sunday, the Reds and other aircraft do fly low overhead as they leave the event, lastly take insect
repellent, the heather is full of mozzies, ticks and wood ants nests are dotted about, a typical army training area. :grin:

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

Okay I am planning Saturday, is it allowed or is it illegal? And with regards to going over the bridge, surely that would be guarded by MoD?
Nikon D500

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

A lot of locals spot by or from the bridge, crossing it will be no problem, if you really want to go to where that photo was taken Id suggest getting off at fleet Station

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

Okay, I am only a mid teen so the safest route by bike by the looks of it is from Farnborough Main, obviously if anyone has a safer route from fleet, please suggest and I will suss it out
Nikon D500

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

Find your way to a pub called "The Forresters" then make your way onto the Army ranges opposite the pub then follow your nose to the highest piece of land overlooking the airfield....if you going to go public weekend just follow the crowd to the vantage place, even in the week there will be plenty of locals up there

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

I have spent days working the route out and I know how to get roughly there but on Google maps I can't find the exact bit where I/we would stand. Could someone possibly do a google maps pinpoint location of the place?
Nikon D500

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

Harvo266 wrote:I have spent days working the route out and I know how to get roughly there but on Google maps I can't find the exact bit where I/we would stand. Could someone possibly do a google maps pinpoint location of the place?

basically you need to be in the area that looks like a dirt track bike course (army training ground) on the opposite site of the A323 from the runway...it is a big area so the choice is yours when you get roughly to that area

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

You want to be roughly inside this red circle, obviously south of the A323 and as Rampvan has said once you are there pick your spot.

ImageFIA MOD viewing by Thumper427, on Flickr

Don't be fooled by those with 400mm+ lenses and high end video camera's making it look like it's an amazing close up spot.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkQx90FkDDE[/youtube]

Look at the end of the video and you'll see how 'zoomed in' the photographer was.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3FCVSI-Dzo[/youtube]

privatepile

Post by privatepile »

If i were you, go to the area by southwood golf course, to the north on the map thumper posted. The aircraft display overhead and it is not to far from Farnborough main railway station, being local, this is where i go :smile:

Imagefab by duct monkey, on Flickr

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

you still living there on the estate Mr Pile? I moved away a few years back but alway return here during show fornight......best place for watching the aerial activities in my opinion :smile:

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

I want to go at the very end, where the video of the Vulcan was taken, thanks all for helping, greatly appreciated
Nikon D500

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

Am I right in thinking this is the place to stand to view the end of the runway?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir//51.2 ... !1m0?hl=en
Nikon D500

privatepile

Post by privatepile »

Yep thats the place.

Rampvan wrote:you still living there on the estate Mr Pile? I moved away a few years back but alway return here during show fornight......best place for watching the aerial activities in my opinion :smile:

I'm still local Rampvan,not on the estate, but not too far away, and i will be on the field , booked the week off :smile:

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

privatepile wrote:Yep thats the place.

Rampvan wrote:you still living there on the estate Mr Pile? I moved away a few years back but alway return here during show fornight......best place for watching the aerial activities in my opinion :smile:

I'm still local Rampvan,not on the estate, but not too far away, and i will be on the field , booked the week off :smile:

Just the one !! ive gone for a whole 16 days :lol: dont want to miss a thing that comes and goes...lol

Downes0106

Post by Downes0106 »

Is there anywhere off base that offers a park and view option during the week?
Scott

Canon EOS7D, with 30D Back-up
Canon 100-400MM IS, 70-200MM plus some wide-angle/macro stuff

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Downes0106 wrote:Is there anywhere off base that offers a park and view option during the week?

The "Swan" Public House on the A325 Farnborough Road. They have a car park to the side and a beer garden at the rear which is virtually under the final approach to 24 and offers a good view of the airfield , but spaces are limited.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

Costco.... possibly.... during validation week !! not sure what there going to do through show week though...could be interesting :hypno:

Downes0106

Post by Downes0106 »

thanks gents.
Scott

Canon EOS7D, with 30D Back-up
Canon 100-400MM IS, 70-200MM plus some wide-angle/macro stuff

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

Is there any photos/videos from Southwood Pavilion? How often do they go over your head?
Nikon D500