First time at the Farnborough air show

All the chat about the bi-annual spectacular
JanVL

First time at the Farnborough air show

Post by JanVL »

Hello everybody!

I happen to be in Farnborough in the week of the Air Show, thus certainly want to visit it. I do have still some questions, which I hope some of you could answer.

First I'd like to ask about the tickets. I live outside the UK and therefore I wouldn't like to book them earlier, but buy them on the spot. The Air Shows's site says you can buy tickets at the Paperweight shop on the Farnborough Road next to the airfield. Does anyone know if they have a sufficient stock? I'm arriving in Farnborough the 16th of June, 2 days before the first public day. Will it still be possible to get a ticket?

As far as I've understood a standard ticket is valid for both days so you can choose which day you go?

How big can the difference be between the two public days? Will the planes that are on the flying display usually fly on both days or is the chance of seeing more planes bigger on Saturday than on Sunday for example? Will there be any list of what flies on which day?

What are the best places to spot aircraft outside the airfield? I might do some spotting on the day I'm not visiting the show itself.

Can you visit some of the larger planes that are on static display? Is a part of the trading halls open for public in the weekend too?

Thank you very much in advance for helping me out!

farnboroughrob

Re: First time at the Farnborough air show

Post by farnboroughrob »

Hi Jan I can answer a few questions

Tickets are always available on the day but normally sell out by around 11am . I do not know about 'The Paperweight' tickets but will try and call in and find out. Tickets are day specific when ordered on-line as seems the same with all shows now. It is very likely that the flying will be the same on both Saturday and Sunday. You can also visit on the Friday during which you can visit the trade halls( closed Sat/Sun) and might get onboard some aircraft but they normally restrict this. I have much info about seeing the show from outside on my website www.farnboroughspotters.com

Rob

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

farnboroughrob wrote:Hi Jan I can answer a few questions

Tickets are always available on the day but normally sell out by around 11am
. I do not know about 'The Paperweight' tickets but will try and call in and find out. Tickets are day specific when ordered on-line as seems the same with all shows now. It is very likely that the flying will be the same on both Saturday and Sunday. You can also visit on the Friday during which you can visit the trade halls( closed Sat/Sun) and might get onboard some aircraft but they normally restrict this. I have much info about seeing the show from outside on my website http://www.farnboroughspotters.com

Rob

I've been since going since 2002 and have managed to get a ticket around half an hour before the flying display starts!

JanVL

Post by JanVL »

farnboroughrob wrote:Hi Jan I can answer a few questions

Tickets are always available on the day but normally sell out by around 11am . I do not know about 'The Paperweight' tickets but will try and call in and find out.

That would be great, thanks!

farnboroughrob wrote:Tickets are day specific when ordered on-line as seems the same with all shows now. It is very likely that the flying will be the same on both Saturday and Sunday. You can also visit on the Friday during which you can visit the trade halls( closed Sat/Sun) and might get onboard some aircraft but they normally restrict this. I have much info about seeing the show from outside on my website http://www.farnboroughspotters.com
Rob

Thank you. I hope the 'stars of the show' will be flying on both days, since I have it very difficult to make choices sometimes.

Airshowhammer wrote:I've been since going since 2002 and have managed to get a ticket around half an hour before the flying display starts!

So those tickets usually for sale at the entrance gate itself too?

I'd like to have them before though in case of they are sold out, so I'd be very happy to be sure that I am able to get them in the Paperweight shop. It's close to where I'm staying too.

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

In 2012 they were selling tickets on the day at the gate, in fact people buying tickets on the gate got in quicker than those in the queue with pre-ordered tickets! They were still selling them right up until the flying started. One thing to mention though, the display was pretty poor in 2012 compared to this years so don't expect anything, this years show is going to be popular what with the F-35 debut, the Me262, AV8B etc. If the paperweight shop has sold out when you arrive I would suggest getting to Farnborough on the day you wish to go as early as possible to get the best chance of buying a ticket on the day.

Just a note to say that tickets purchased online ARE for either Saturday or Sunday as stated on the website. It is only package tickets (Silver, Gold, Platinum etc) that are day specific.

FIA wrote:STANDARD ADULT (VALID SATURDAY OR SUNDAY) £46.00 (£45.00)

Hope it all goes well for you JanVL, you get a ticket sorted and have a great time :smile:

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

I would disagree about the tickets, mine specifically state Saturday admission. It is generally the carparks that get full and close by about 12pm with tickets available to pedestrians.

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Not sure what to say about the tickets then, is yours a general admission tickets? Not grandstand or any of the packages?

My tickets for 2012 just said "weekend" on it and the rules n regs on the back said "admission for either Saturday or Sunday" and that is what it says on the website, as far as I can see you do not state (when you order online) what day you want, you just book at weekend ticket.

JanVL

Post by JanVL »

Thanks for the new answers.

I'm planning to go just after opening time, so in case of I should be able to buy them on the spot then. However, I will try to get them in the shop before to be sure too.

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Just a thought JanVL, have you telephoned Paperweight and asked if you can pay for the ticket(s) over the phone and they hold them for you so you can be sure of securing them and then just pick them up when you arrive?

JanVL

Post by JanVL »

Thumper wrote:Just a thought JanVL, have you telephoned Paperweight and asked if you can pay for the ticket(s) over the phone and they hold them for you so you can be sure of securing them and then just pick them up when you arrive?

Good idea! I would be indeed safe if they could at least secure one for me. I'll try to do after the weekend.

I was trying to find an e-mail address of it before.

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

I can't seem to find an email address for them, probably because they are just a small newsagents.

Paperweight
76 Farnborough Road
Farnborough
Hants GU14 6TH

Tel: 01252 679651

*Only standard entry tickets are available. Any offers/discount codes can only be claimed via our online ticket service.

expat1

Post by expat1 »

You're 50 years too late............. :tumbleweed:
Seriously though, Dave might make it worthwhile this year, hope you have a good time.
You don't take a photograph you make it - Ansel Adams.
Canon 6D, Canon 7D, 100-400L, 70-200L, Tamron SP 150-600.