Farnborough - a shadow of its former self?

Re: Farnborough - a shadow of its former self?

Postby parsley on Sun 07 Aug 2016, 9:52 am

Rampvan wrote:I'm sorry, but if that is the case I fail to understand why your complaining about aircraft leaving Farnborough early instead of giving the reasons behind them leaving :dunno:

Hi Rampvan...did reply but doesn't appear to have appeared...could be related to the sad death of my coffee perculator this morning !!..I certainly wasn't complaining,as said I'm very aware that there are various reasons why aircraft may leave after the trade days (such as delivery/flight test/production demands) and a manufacturer having an airframe out of the loop,if you include the flight home after the weekend for perhaps 5-6 days in addition to the time spent at the trade part of the show...time is money
parsley
UKAR Supporter

Postby Rampvan on Sun 07 Aug 2016, 4:52 pm

parsley wrote:
Rampvan wrote:I'm sorry, but if that is the case I fail to understand why your complaining about aircraft leaving Farnborough early instead of giving the reasons behind them leaving :dunno:

Hi Rampvan...did reply but doesn't appear to have appeared...could be related to the sad death of my coffee perculator this morning !!..I certainly wasn't complaining,as said I'm very aware that there are various reasons why aircraft may leave after the trade days (such as delivery/flight test/production demands) and a manufacturer having an airframe out of the loop,if you include the flight home after the weekend for perhaps 5-6 days in addition to the time spent at the trade part of the show...time is money

So you do understand why the CS100 was parked at Luton for the public days...........perhaps your question mark in you first post on the subject threw me !

"with the CS100 leaving to sit at Luton over the public days ? :smile:
Rampvan

Postby parsley on Sun 07 Aug 2016, 6:05 pm

Rampvan wrote:
parsley wrote:

So you do understand why the CS100 was parked at Luton for the public days...........perhaps your question mark in you first post on the subject threw me !

"with the CS100 leaving to sit at Luton over the public days ? :smile:

Yes I noticed that question mark this morning...that'll teach me for using one of those new fangled I-pad type things !!
parsley
UKAR Supporter

Postby capercaillie on Mon 08 Aug 2016, 9:57 am

parsley wrote:Actually stuff leaving before the weekend has been happening for at least a decade

A decade, wow, I didn't realise the show had been running that long. :shock:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby capercaillie on Wed 10 Aug 2016, 5:15 pm

Do you think he left after the Bearcat and just listed the rest of the programme? :dunno:

All I can say is he was easily pleased. IAT's static gets 7/10 compared to Farnborough 8/10, IAT venue 7/10 compared to Farnborough 9/10 - seriously? :whistle: :facepalm:

Quite what the photo of a USAF C-17 is doing in the RIAT review as well, I have no idea? :dunno: Quality stuff.
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby WG655 on Wed 10 Aug 2016, 5:23 pm

FIA was far from a perfect show in 2016, particularly up against the likes of RIAT and Yeovilton. Why, therefore, does the review do nothing but praise? The criticisms offered seem fairly picky in the grand scheme of things.

Can the author of the piece confirm whether or not they had a press pass or if they really stick by those views? A reminder of why UKAR is prepared to go against the grain where necessary rather than pander to the wishes of organisers in return for cheaper/free tickets.
WG655
UKAR Staff

Postby Rampvan on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 7:48 am

But UKAR didnt do a review...... They felt FIA16 not worthy of one, so you cant really say that they were prepared to go against the grain :whistle:
Rampvan

Postby Rampvan on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 7:55 am

Something i posted on FC a while back

Well once again the Moaners have had their field day be saying how bad the show was going to be, displays over the wilderness, displays at heights airliners cross the atlantic, overpriced excuse for an airshow blah blah blah, yet once again a sellout, twitter has seen nothing but praise for a great show, people oohing and arring at the displays presented..... Even one or two enthuisasts on the aviation forums saying it was actually quite good considering the negative feed back the show was getting beforehand, almost like the stay campaigners were with brexit ! So has anyone considered that perhaps, for joe public anyway, that Farnborough offers the correct mix of aviation related displays, has anyone considered that RIAT (for example) is just a collection of rather noisy grey fast jets flying around the hard to get to countryside that is Fairford, joe public doesnt understand the enthusiasts joy at seeing a grey plane with a bit of colour on it (special schemes to you and me) and frankly nor do I but thats a different story. The stars of this years show at RIAT, 2 x F4 with gauwdy tanks, they flew in, they parked up, they didnt move for a week and they flew out again after the show :dunno:
I'm sure 2018 will again be a sellout for FIA18 I'm sure that in january the same old faces will start their hate campaign against FIA18... And 2 years from now we will be in exacly the same place we are now !
Rampvan

Postby Dragon Rapide on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 8:06 am

Rampvan wrote:! So has anyone considered that perhaps, for joe public anyway, that Farnborough offers the correct mix of aviation related displays, has anyone considered that RIAT (for example) is just a collection of rather noisy grey fast jets flying around the hard to get to countryside that is Fairford, joe public doesnt understand the enthusiasts joy at seeing a grey plane with a bit of colour on it (special schemes to you and me) and frankly nor do I but thats a different story.!

I think you are probably spot on. I think many of us find it hard to detach ourselves from our enthusiasm and see the shows form the public's perspective.
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide
Dragon Rapide

Postby st24 on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 10:27 am

Dragon Rapide wrote:
Rampvan wrote:! So has anyone considered that perhaps, for joe public anyway, that Farnborough offers the correct mix of aviation related displays, has anyone considered that RIAT (for example) is just a collection of rather noisy grey fast jets flying around the hard to get to countryside that is Fairford, joe public doesnt understand the enthusiasts joy at seeing a grey plane with a bit of colour on it (special schemes to you and me) and frankly nor do I but thats a different story.!

I think you are probably spot on. I think many of us find it hard to detach ourselves from our enthusiasm and see the shows form the public's perspective.

Indeed, and I think Rampvan's post speaks a lot of sense. However this is an aviation, moreover airshow forum and so the majority of points of view will be biased from "our side of the fence" so to speak. I do however find the lack of a UKAR review very poor form and one that stinks a bit of photo-snobbery. I've also lambasted "This is flight's" reviews before as they are written in a very immature, unprofessional manner (IMO).
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby Rampvan on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 10:46 am

Well its the only review I've seen so thats the one we have, of course if UKAR, the self proclaimed best air show site on the web cant be arsed to review it what choice do we have ! :question:
Rampvan

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 9:20 pm

An airshow which treats the paying punter and enthusiast as a mug and cash cow, in the way modern Farnborough does, does not deserve the publicity of a review on UKAR.

UKAR quite right to avoid this show like the plague.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 9:35 pm

Rampvan wrote:Well its the only review I've seen so thats the one we have, of course if UKAR, the self proclaimed best air show site on the web cant be arsed to review it what choice do we have ! :question:

Where does UKAR make that proclamation?

We had nobody there. We had nobody at Legends either AFAIK. I don't think we had anybody at East Fortune. We'll probably have nobody at Hearne Bay. We may not have anybody at Little Gransden. Need I go on? We're not obliged to attend any airshow, regardless of how much you think we should - it's a hobby for us, just like it is for everyone else on this website.

We review airshows on tickets we buy, not on free press passes. If Farnborough doesn't entice any of us to put our hands in our pockets, it won't be reviewed. We're under no pressure to waste our money on events we have no desire to attend - whether that's because of ticket price, participation lists, poor weather, a bad reputation, a clash of dates or any other reason, is irrelevant. We will attend events we want to attend.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby TKK 140 on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 10:44 pm

I volunteer to report on Lt Gransden.
TKK 140

Postby Rampvan on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 10:51 pm

Can someone remind me what UKAR stands for? ... Perhaps I'm missing something translation !
Rampvan

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 10:55 pm

Rampvan wrote:Can someone remind me what UKAR stands for? ... Perhaps I'm missing something translation !

Yes - everything I said above.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 10:57 pm

TKK 140 wrote:I volunteer to report on Lt Gransden.

It doesn't work like that.

UKAR might decide to ask someone for a guest report, and the decision is made with standards of written English and photography firmly in mind. Geoff (st24) has been approached in the past, for example.

The standards UKAR set have been the highest over 20 years for good reason.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby boff180 on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 11:32 pm

st24 wrote:
Indeed, and I think Rampvan's post speaks a lot of sense. However this is an aviation, moreover airshow forum and so the majority of points of view will be biased from "our side of the fence" so to speak. I do however find the lack of a UKAR review very poor form and one that stinks a bit of photo-snobbery. I've also lambasted "This is flight's" reviews before as they are written in a very immature, unprofessional manner (IMO).

Author of the 2012 and 2014 UKAR review here....

Whilst I can't speak for other staffers I can assure you my non-attendance in 2016 had nothing to do with photo-snobbery, I find the runway handy for some unique shots.

Instead my non-attendance was a choice following the abysmal experience of the overall show I had in 2014 and the fact that due to pay days falling where they are in relation to it and Fairford for me, I could not justify or afford the expenditure and annual leave to attend two shows back to back. Particularly as the only reason I would have been attending FIA was to cover it for UKAR. I'm not made of money or leave!

As Dan says we are all volunteers. When I read comments like this, considering a number of the Staff team (including me) spend our own money and use our own annual leave to generate content for the site for you to read (especially the features section during the off season), it does make me wonder why any of us even bother.
boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby TKK 140 on Fri 12 Aug 2016, 7:11 am

Dan O'Hagan wrote:

UKAR might decide to ask someone for a guest report, and the decision is made with standards of written English and photography firmly in mind. Geoff (st24) has been approached in the past, for example.

It could work like that, if no one from UKAR could attend a show, it could ask members to submit reports for a members report section or similar. That way it might also find some new contributors.
TKK 140

Postby Dragon Rapide on Fri 12 Aug 2016, 7:49 am

Just what crossed my mind in view of the previous and entirely justified comments from the staffers. After all the forum is for its members so if they can help why not, accepting a degree of QC over content.
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide
Dragon Rapide

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Fri 12 Aug 2016, 9:22 am

TKK 140 wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:

It could work like that, if no one from UKAR could attend a show, it could ask members to submit reports for a members report section or similar. That way it might also find some new contributors.

Somewhere where people can submit photographs and a write-up?

You mean, like, er, a forum? :roll:
Dan O'Hagan

Postby Pringles on Fri 12 Aug 2016, 10:15 am

Okay then, I'm the deputy editor of This is Flight so would like to respond to a few of the points raised:

capercaillie wrote:Do you think he left after the Bearcat and just listed the rest of the programme? :dunno:

All I can say is he was easily pleased. IAT's static gets 7/10 compared to Farnborough 8/10, IAT venue 7/10 compared to Farnborough 9/10 - seriously? :whistle: :facepalm:

Our RIAT report score was the result of several contributors providing their opinions and scoring an average based on that. The FIA report was one single person's opinion, and I myself raised objections to it; in response we at TIF have introduced a set of specific scoring system guidelines in an attempt to avoid a repeat. Our FIA reporter was kind to Farnborough, however he strongly feels that opinion was justified.

Our scoring system is unique to airshow reviews and is very much in it's prototype period, hopefully by our 20th anniversary such anomalies will no longer be an issue :biggrin:

capercaillie wrote:Quite what the photo of a USAF C-17 is doing in the RIAT review as well, I have no idea? :dunno: Quality stuff.

The C17 was part of the arrivals in support for the US aircraft on show, captured during the week; therefore is surely as justified as any photo of the F4s/C130s arriving?

WG655 wrote:FIA was far from a perfect show in 2016, particularly up against the likes of RIAT and Yeovilton. Why, therefore, does the review do nothing but praise? The criticisms offered seem fairly picky in the grand scheme of things.

You mean like UKAR's (F)RIAT review? :whistle:

WG655 wrote:Can the author of the piece confirm whether or not they had a press pass or if they really stick by those views?

Our reporter stands by his views, which he shares with many others; TIF caters both for enthusiasts and also "Joe Public", and has been largely well received by both camps. He also bought a ticket, deeming the show "worth putting a hand in his pocket"

WG655 wrote:A reminder of why UKAR is prepared to go against the grain where necessary rather than pander to the wishes of organisers in return for cheaper/free tickets.

Going against the grain by not providing a report at all? :whistle: In no way does TIF "pander" to the organisers in the hope of free tickets, this was simply our reporter's own judgements. Both our Cosford and Singapore reports were extremely critical.

st24 wrote:I've also lambasted "This is flight's" reviews before as they are written in a very immature, unprofessional manner (IMO).

Geoff I'd like to think that since those earlier days, TIF has matured. We started in 2014 but really grew last year, and this year's reports are largely of a higher standard.

I'd also like to point out that our Cosford report was written and published within a week of the show yet was still of a high standard, whereas the UKAR's equivalent has only just been published 2 months later? Also, TIF provides a much broader spread of shows, with many more overseas reviews, rather than restricting ourselves to limited UK shows and the occasional overseas report.
Last edited by Pringles on Fri 12 Aug 2016, 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic
Pringles

Postby WG655 on Fri 12 Aug 2016, 10:17 am

Hope I speak for other staff members as well, but I'd rather the forum produced a smaller amount of high-quality content each year, rather than simply opening the floodgates to as many articles as possible. As a result, the diminishing airshow scene at the present time is leading to a smaller output right now as everyone's seasons shrink. In some cases, the articles you read have been almost completely modified from what was initially submitted - our editing process can be fairly brutal and we would consider it unfair to do that to someone not actively involved themselves in the editing and production process.

Here's an idea: assemble a full and frank review of events you attend, with picture content, and if it is deemed acceptable I see no reason why we couldn't link said photo threads to our social media now and again for events which UKAR won't be reviewing themselves.
WG655
UKAR Staff

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Fri 12 Aug 2016, 10:32 am

UKAR has never had blanket coverage of every show and piddling little fly-in, it has traditionally discriminated, hand-picking events worth featuring, and indeed hand-picking, at least back in the day, Staff members based on the intelligence of their forum contributions as well as their ability to write and photograph. How many other sites can say the same?

As a result, UKAR reports have influence, and features hit reader figures into the thousands, and the podcast topped the iTunes chart.

The bottom line is that Farnborough, I'm sure, would have been covered if it was WORTH covering.
Last edited by Dan O'Hagan on Fri 12 Aug 2016, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan O'Hagan

PreviousNext

Return to Farnborough International Airshow