Sunday Display Schedule

Re: Sunday Display Schedule

Postby carlbotten1971 on Mon 18 Jul 2016, 8:13 am

Dan O'Hagan wrote:No-one who paid for a ticket can complain. It was clear to anyone who has a clue about airshows that Farnborough was to be avoided. Dreadful participation was no secret, one only had to read these pages.


Why do you think i never bought a ticket!!!! I could not believe the line up esp.on the Public days when the flying display was more like a combination of flying legends and a seaside show.For me this is NOT what Farnborough is about it is about displaying modern and innovative aircraft with a few items like the Reds thrown in on the Public days but what is a big rip off is the £50 ticket charge purely on the back of tradition.When i consider R.I.A.T last weekend and because i went on Friday/Saturday for i think the same price R.I.A.T offered so so so much more (yes you even see the reds full display) and more quality display teams
I remember Farnborough when it was a great show on the public days but unfortunately until the public vote with their feet you will get more of the same.I think in future i will opt for a trade day ticket :sad: :sad: :sad:
carlbotten1971

Re: Sunday Display Schedule

Postby UKTopgun on Mon 18 Jul 2016, 8:50 am

Went Sunday, fully aware of the line up and lack of any great originality in the content (sad to be saying that about Farnborough). Not a bad show but no way a 40 pound show. Sad how Farny has become this. 20 years ago it was an enthusiast must-do, with the latest types showcasing both civvie and mil cutting edge technology.
Now it is such an odd show, the crowd is the least enthusiast of any show I have been to, all you can say is that the name is trading on former glories with the public. But they came in their droves and you know what, I guess 90 percent would say they were thrilled with it, you could tell that. The comments overheard amused me no end, particularly the one about the DH Comet being a fighter!

Add to the mix the awful M3 and M25 delays both ways and you have a pretty forgettable day. Did enjoy the 727 and A380, but heck even that is not a new aeroplane any more. Really not sure where Farnborough public days go from here, although whilst Joe Public turn up en masse, I guess it will be more of the same in 2018. I kept thinking, if the masses did enjoy what Farnborough gave them so much, how they would have loved the smorgasbord of aviation at RIAT. But that is the thing, to the general public, the name they know is Farnborough, not RIAT. A fact that, in recent years especially, the organisers have capitalised on. No other airshow could hope to get away with it. But then, no other airshow is called Farnborough.

Oh, one more thing. Spirit of Artemis was indeed at Farnborough, not accessible, but there all the same. An impressive rebuild you would have to say.
UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Re: Sunday Display Schedule

Postby lambo17841 on Mon 18 Jul 2016, 9:31 am

Went on Wednesday with a trade ticket,no problems getting in and plenty of spaces on crowd line as long as you keep away from where stuff in the flying display is moved out.
Well known now that public days are a rip off and most of the quality aircraft go before jo public get near them.
Cannot see ticket price justified when most of the flying can be seen for nothing at Eastbourne or Bournemouth free shows.
Would have thought a 35 could have been shown every day especially as such a fuss was made about it coming over,still in a few years time we will be sick and tired of them.

John in Seaford
lambo17841

Re: Sunday Display Schedule

Postby carlbotten1971 on Mon 18 Jul 2016, 10:20 am

UKTopgun wrote:Went Sunday, fully aware of the line up and lack of any great originality in the content (sad to be saying that about Farnborough). Not a bad show but no way a 40 pound show. Sad how Farny has become this. 20 years ago it was an enthusiast must-do, with the latest types showcasing both civvie and mil cutting edge technology.
Now it is such an odd show, the crowd is the least enthusiast of any show I have been to, all you can say is that the name is trading on former glories with the public. But they came in their droves and you know what, I guess 90 percent would say they were thrilled with it, you could tell that. The comments overheard amused me no end, particularly the one about the DH Comet being a fighter!

Add to the mix the awful M3 and M25 delays both ways and you have a pretty forgettable day. Did enjoy the 727 and A380, but heck even that is not a new aeroplane any more. Really not sure where Farnborough public days go from here, although whilst Joe Public turn up en masse, I guess it will be more of the same in 2018. I kept thinking, if the masses did enjoy what Farnborough gave them so much, how they would have loved the smorgasbord of aviation at RIAT. But that is the thing, to the general public, the name they know is Farnborough, not RIAT. A fact that, in recent years especially, the organisers have capitalised on. No other airshow could hope to get away with it. But then, no other airshow is called Farnborough.

Oh, one more thing. Spirit of Artemis was indeed at Farnborough, not accessible, but there all the same. An impressive rebuild you would have to say.


I might be looking through rose tinted specks but when i was a kid 30 years ago i could not wait for Farnborough i was so excited about it and when the the Public Saturday came we got there when the car parks opened with a school freind and his Dad and started to look around the great exhibition halls (yes they were open to the public back then) and found them amazing then we would have something to eat and made for the crowd line after and the excitement as the aircraft were being towed out to the other side ready for the flying display was indescribable and wow what a great flying display it was back then with Tornados helicopters transport planes and airliners being thrown about with the BBMF and reds thrown in.When we got home we raved about the show for weeks and could not wait for the next one.What a sad state of affairs Farny has become and i dont like to say this but the Great British public turning up enmass would even say what a great show it was even if you flew a budgie or canary or pigeon down the display line
carlbotten1971

Re: Sunday Display Schedule

Postby Rampvan on Mon 18 Jul 2016, 11:17 am

carlbotten1971 wrote:
I might be looking through rose tinted specks but when i was a kid 30 years ago i could not wait for Farnborough.... and the excitement as the aircraft were being towed out to the other side ready for the flying display was indescribable and wow what a great flying display it was back then with Tornados helicopters transport planes and airliners being thrown about with the BBMF and reds thrown in


all of what you describe above was at the show yesterday :whistle:
User avatar
Rampvan

Re: Sunday Display Schedule

Postby UKTopgun on Mon 18 Jul 2016, 4:31 pm

Yes there was a Tornado, but only static. Wonder what happened to the supposed P8, Antonov and Red Devils?
UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Re: Sunday Display Schedule

Postby Rampvan on Mon 18 Jul 2016, 4:39 pm

I'm sure i heard the P8 late on, didnt eyeball it though! 2 weeks of planes sort of planed me out :surrender:
User avatar
Rampvan

Re: Sunday Display Schedule

Postby wv383 on Mon 18 Jul 2016, 6:08 pm

UKTopgun wrote:Yes there was a Tornado, but only static. Wonder what happened to the supposed P8, Antonov and Red Devils?


P8 displayed Monday to Saturday but was never due to fly on Sunday for some reason. Antonov 178 was a last minute addition (well a couple of weeks before the show) to the Saturday programme only and the Red Devils were only ever down to display on Friday.
wv383

Re: Sunday Display Schedule

Postby FarnboroJohn on Mon 18 Jul 2016, 8:26 pm

Rampvan wrote:I'm sure i heard the P8 late on, didnt eyeball it though! 2 weeks of planes sort of planed me out :surrender:


Ditto, stayed home Sunday afternoon! Then got post-holiday blues at the office this morning.

John
FarnboroJohn

Previous

Return to Farnborough International Airshow

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests