No more weekend public show!

No more weekend public show!

Postby farnboroughrob on Tue 05 Mar 2019, 6:05 pm

Confirmed tonight that the show will just be Mon-Fri, including flying. Public days loosing money and are no more. Friday will continue as a public day but likely that it will be a limited display. In my opinion this has been a long time coming, I am surprised they are having flying at all as it doesn't sell planes.
farnboroughrob

Re: No more weekend public show!

Postby boff180 on Tue 05 Mar 2019, 6:11 pm

I’ve edited your topic title to be more accurate. There is nothing in the announcement about a “limited” flying display.

Here’s the full press release.

The Farnborough International Airshow is to go back to its roots and allow public access to its exhibition halls to promote and inspire the next generation of pilots, engineers and innovators.

The move will see the seven day global aerospace, defence and space trade event, which has traditionally included a public weekend, become a five day trade event (Mon-Fri), removing the public weekend. Instead, Friday 24th July of the trade show will open its doors to the public and focus on inspiring the next generation and showcasing the technologies driving new products and manufacturing processes.

This enhances the Airshow’s valuable role as an inspirational event which encourages talented young people attracted to aerospace, defence and space to focus on developing skills needed to enter rewarding careers in these industries. Engaging the next generation with the right skills and qualifications is vital to securing the long-term success of organisations that make a valuable contribution to national prosperity.

Gareth Rogers, CEO of Farnborough International says: “The Farnborough International Airshow is a unique event. Allowing the public to see more of the people, products and processes that underpin the global aerospace, defence and space industries will help engage and inspire a new generation.
“Removing the public weekend will disappoint some, but for our exhibitors and trade visitors the focus is on business and accessing the talent they need to sustain global competitiveness.”
The Farnborough International Airshow is one of the world’s most important aerospace trade events. In 2018, the biennial show hosted more than 1,500 exhibitors and welcomed 80,000 visitors representing 112 countries. There will be an air display on each day of the airshow, showcasing the latest commercial and military aircraft.

Opening on Monday 20 July 2020 and running until Friday 24 July, the Farnborough International Airshow is a strategic opportunity for organisations to demonstrate innovation; engage with customers; announce deals and new contracts; and take part in conference programmes featuring world-class speakers.
User avatar
boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: No more weekend public show!

Postby Tom105 on Tue 05 Mar 2019, 6:14 pm

I have to say I wasn't expecting that but its welcome given the dreadful air show of last year. I just hope that the Friday is not like last year where they said the halls would be open and they had all left or shut early. Best futures day I've attended was 2014 was a great day and one of the reasons I now study aeronautical engineering, the flying display had a good mix and if I remember correctly went from 1-5 until last year which had gaps and was dull!
Thomas
Tom105

Re: No more weekend public show!

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Tue 05 Mar 2019, 6:20 pm

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Recent shows have been an affront to the heritage of Farnborough, existing only to rip off the public who didn't know any better by charging premium prices for seaside acts and third-rate filler.

The writing was on the wall when the Red Arrows stopped displaying there. Guess it'll be a couple of airliners pootling about at 3,000ft for the drunken trade guests eating their prawn sandwiches from now on.

Begs the question, if they were losing money charging those prices, what would they have had to charge to break even?
User avatar
Dan O'Hagan

Re: No more weekend public show!

Postby melvyn hiscock on Tue 05 Mar 2019, 6:27 pm

Not surprising.

The rules on overflight are next to impossible there. I am amazed they have not stopped before.
melvyn hiscock

Re: No more weekend public show!

Postby farnboroughrob on Tue 05 Mar 2019, 6:34 pm

When I say limited flying I mean its going to be around 10-15 items like last year. If there are no 'public' type aircraft brought in there will be about 3 hours flying.
farnboroughrob

Re: No more weekend public show!

Postby effects on Tue 05 Mar 2019, 6:53 pm

melvyn hiscock wrote:Not surprising.

The rules on overflight are next to impossible there. I am amazed they have not stopped before.

Not at all accurate.
Sony DSC-HX400V (Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)
User avatar
effects

Re: No more weekend public show!

Postby melvyn hiscock on Tue 05 Mar 2019, 7:50 pm

effects wrote:
melvyn hiscock wrote:Not surprising.

The rules on overflight are next to impossible there. I am amazed they have not stopped before.

Not at all accurate.


Really? Not according to some people deep within the industry. Perhaps OK if you are going to have the WW1 reenactment but anything bigger is overflying.
melvyn hiscock

Re: No more weekend public show!

Postby Rampvan on Tue 05 Mar 2019, 7:52 pm

[quote="effects":"Kris Kris Tofferson!"][quote="melvyn hiscock":"Kris Kris Tofferson!"]Not surprising.

The rules on overflight are next to impossible there. I am amazed they have not stopped before.[/quote:"Kris Kris Tofferson!"]
Not at all accurate.[/quote:"Kris Kris Tofferson!"]

:up:
User avatar
Rampvan

Re: No more weekend public show!

Postby Airshowhammer on Tue 05 Mar 2019, 7:59 pm

It was about time the horse needed shooting!
Airshowhammer

Re: No more weekend public show!

Postby effects on Tue 05 Mar 2019, 8:14 pm

melvyn hiscock wrote:
effects wrote:
melvyn hiscock wrote:Not surprising.

The rules on overflight are next to impossible there. I am amazed they have not stopped before.

Not at all accurate.


Really? Not according to some people deep within the industry. Perhaps OK if you are going to have the WW1 reenactment but anything bigger is overflying.

Whatever that means!
Sony DSC-HX400V (Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)
User avatar
effects

Re: No more weekend public show!

Postby Georgeconna on Tue 05 Mar 2019, 9:35 pm

Tom105 wrote:I have to say I wasn't expecting that but its welcome given the dreadful air show of last year. I just hope that the Friday is not like last year where they said the halls would be open and they had all left or shut early. Best futures day I've attended was 2014 was a great day and one of the reasons I now study aeronautical engineering, the flying display had a good mix and if I remember correctly went from 1-5 until last year which had gaps and was dull!


Good luck with Friday = POETS day. :grin:
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.
Georgeconna

Re: No more weekend public show!

Postby FarnboroJohn on Tue 05 Mar 2019, 9:51 pm

There is a new housing estate going up between Fleet and Farnborough which removes one of the last unused spaces for aircraft to manoeuvre, after that it really would be aeros over Long Valley only. Last year was an almost complete waste of time and now, frankly I wish the whole show would push off and stop sodding up the traffic round Farnborough for no very good reason.
FarnboroJohn

Re: No more weekend public show!

Postby borismorris on Wed 06 Mar 2019, 1:55 am

I went to the 2016 show- if you can call it that-

There was a number of decent items in the flying display but the clincher for me was Sally B only being permitted to take off- and land...

I understand the phobic stance post Shoreham- I really do, but that for me that was the straw that broke the camels back. I’m glad I went- but I’d already sworn I’d never go again.

A shame- but totally inevitable.
borismorris

Re: No more weekend public show!

Postby UKTopgun on Wed 06 Mar 2019, 7:50 am

I went to the last few Farnboroughs and yes this was inevitable as they were poor, but dwindling attendance? Not from my experience. It always felt rammed.
UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Re: No more weekend public show!

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Wed 06 Mar 2019, 8:48 am

This is definitely for the best. Farnborough is still etched into the general public's consciousness as the airshow. If it can't maintain a spectacle then that that reflects negatively on airshows in general, and its best its retired. And lets be honest, even before the curbs on display flying dulled the experience even further, the public days have been a shadow of the trade days, in terms of manufacturer content, for years.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums
User avatar
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Re: No more weekend public show!

Postby lambo17841 on Wed 06 Mar 2019, 9:08 am

No real surprise,get the feeling TAG would be glad if the show went all together so they can expand the biz side even more,especially as Luton are looking to build a 2nd terminal in the area of the long term car park which could loose some biz area parking and even talk of Stansted biz area being less parking if terminals and freight area expand.
Most of the good stuff had gone from the static by Friday anyway,as stated Friday is a schools and students day so will not be much fun for the normal enthusiast.

John in Seaford
lambo17841

Re: No more weekend public show!

Postby Paul_Reflex on Wed 06 Mar 2019, 9:44 am

The end of an error.
User avatar
Paul_Reflex

Re: No more weekend public show!

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Wed 06 Mar 2019, 10:10 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-h ... e-47463443

The Farnborough International Airshow will no longer host a public weekend after "negative and vitriolic" feedback for displays, it has been announced.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
User avatar
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: No more weekend public show!

Postby effects on Wed 06 Mar 2019, 12:04 pm

FarnboroJohn wrote:There is a new housing estate going up between Fleet and Farnborough which removes one of the last unused spaces for aircraft to manoeuvre, after that it really would be aeros over Long Valley only. Last year was an almost complete waste of time and now, frankly I wish the whole show would push off and stop sodding up the traffic round Farnborough for no very good reason.

If you are talking about Pyestock that was never in the aeros box.
Sony DSC-HX400V (Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)
User avatar
effects

Re: No more weekend public show!

Postby Tommy on Wed 06 Mar 2019, 12:14 pm

LN Strike Eagle wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-47463443

The Farnborough International Airshow will no longer host a public weekend after "negative and vitriolic" feedback for displays, it has been announced.


“It’s the mirror’s fault that I’m ugly”
User avatar
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: No more weekend public show!

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Wed 06 Mar 2019, 2:30 pm

Tommy wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-47463443

The Farnborough International Airshow will no longer host a public weekend after "negative and vitriolic" feedback for displays, it has been announced.


“It’s the mirror’s fault that I’m ugly”


Quite staggering. Effectively blaming the public for daring to complain that they were paying £50 for a dreadful, lazy flying display line-up at a venue where the Red Arrows refused to display and where Sally B was barely allowed to take off and land. Buck passing to a breathtaking degree.

Farnborough failed because of post-Shoreham regulations and restrictions rendering it unsuitable for flying displays, and because the paying public weren’t as stupid as they assumed and called out the Emperor’s New Clothes.
User avatar
Dan O'Hagan

Re: No more weekend public show!

Postby effects on Wed 06 Mar 2019, 2:48 pm

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
Tommy wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-47463443

The Farnborough International Airshow will no longer host a public weekend after "negative and vitriolic" feedback for displays, it has been announced.


“It’s the mirror’s fault that I’m ugly”


Quite staggering. Effectively blaming the public for daring to complain that they were paying £50 for a dreadful, lazy flying display line-up at a venue where the Red Arrows refused to display and where Sally B was barely allowed to take off and land. Buck passing to a breathtaking degree.

Farnborough failed because of post-Shoreham regulations and restrictions rendering it unsuitable for flying displays, and because the paying public weren’t as stupid as they assumed and called out the Emperor’s New Clothes.

It's more the fault of the organising team not inviting/paying for the right items, the F-16 managed a full display and a Herk did a very dynamic display, so not necessarily airspace restrictions more a lack of thought.
Sony DSC-HX400V (Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)
User avatar
effects

Re: No more weekend public show!

Postby pbeardmore on Wed 06 Mar 2019, 3:26 pm

Perfect example of dreadful/dishonest PR. It's been clear for many years that they have had little interest in keeping the public happy. It's been openly discussed on many forums.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
User avatar
pbeardmore

Re: No more weekend public show!

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Wed 06 Mar 2019, 4:00 pm

Bottom line is that people soon twigged that it really wasn't £50's worth of an airshow for a £50 ticket - and they made their feelings known. Last year's show got a lot of negative publicity in the local papers, if I recall.

RIAT is expensive, but you can certainly see that your money's been spent on making a good day out. Farnborough became seaside filler at Fairford dollar. Eventually you're going to be found out.
User avatar
Dan O'Hagan

Next

Return to Farnborough International Airshow

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests