RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Postby capercaillie on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 3:58 pm

CJS wrote:
Adamwilliams132 wrote:Czech airforce have released there schedule, nothing on it for Cosford just RIAT Yeovilton and Biggin hill, looks like the RAFs only air show ain't high on the list for foreign Participants this year yet again.
Like to see a some Good civilian acts booked now to compensate Sea Vixen and small B jump to Mind.

Ahh, small B, one of my favourites. :snack: :cuppa:

Parachute team I think small B jump to Mind, they have a landing area designed like a brain, and wear black and yellow striped suits. :up:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby PeterR on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 6:27 pm

Evening All, just thought I'd take 5 minutes to reply to some recent comments...

TYPHOON3 wrote:I thought Cosford might have got the Belgian F-16 this year but they have managed to date clash with an overseas show again.

The dates for the RAF Cosford Air Show are set well in advance, and other national air arms are made aware of the dates, as we do try to avoid clashes. The second Sunday in June is our traditional weekend for many years (last year being the only exception) and is likely to continue to remain as the date due to training output schedules for the Schools on base. When we announced our date, the event at Sola had not been advertised, so it's abit unfair to word your complaint about our date clashing in that manner. Yes it is frustrating, but another hurdle we overcome.

Wrexham Mackem wrote:Breitling Jet Team are very much under-rated though, and they did indeed look good the last time they were at Cosford. It would be good to see them back.

Agreed, and the Breitling Jet Team were very high on our radar for 2017. Sadly, they are not available to display with us this year.

Adamwilliams132 wrote:Czech airforce have released there schedule, nothing on it for Cosford. Looks like the RAF's only air show ain't high on the list for foreign Participants this year yet again.

It's not my job to criticise or defend the allocations process that other nations have in place for their display assets so I won't take the bait there. We follow a tried and tested invitation progress which includes formal invitations via the Defence Attachés but also appealing directly to squadrons/operators etc. We have done our best, and yes when we receive news that assets are unavailable for us, it is disappointing for us who work 12 months of the year to deliver the Air Show, but it's just a fact of life that you can't always get what you want. If an international air arms sends their assets to another event, for whatever reason, who am we to moan about that?
The Royal Air Force's only Air Show will go on, and still provide an opportunity for members of the British taxpayer to engage with their military. Nevertheless, I can guarantee you that every member of the team is still 100% committed to delivering as many exciting aircraft, including international military assets, for our visitors enjoyment on Sunday 11th June. Yes, a number of countries have declined, but there are also a lot of exciting negotiations going on behind the scenes.

Cheers,
Peter :wave:
Operations Manager
RAF Cosford Air Show
PeterR

Postby speedshrew on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 7:00 pm

Personally, the lineup this year is excellent for Joe Public(which make up the majority of audiences for these kinds of events). We tend to think in enthusiast terms(which is fine, just a different frame of reference). I'd love to see a supersonic jet zoom over my head, but what's going to draw in your little Johnny and Jennie? An obscure jet which a hand full of people will have heard of by comparison, or the Reds/BBMF? It's a lovely lineup thus far, some people will hate it, some will go loop-de-loop for it. Knocking people for not securing something is not really on, is it? Thank you to all the organisers for their hard work :)
speedshrew

Postby TYPHOON3 on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 7:15 pm

speedshrew wrote:Personally, the lineup this year is excellent for Joe Public(which make up the majority of audiences for these kinds of events). We tend to think in enthusiast terms(which is fine, just a different frame of reference). I'd love to see a supersonic jet zoom over my head, but what's going to draw in your little Johnny and Jennie? An obscure jet which a hand full of people will have heard of by comparison, or the Reds/BBMF? It's a lovely lineup thus far, some people will hate it, some will go loop-de-loop for it. Knocking people for not securing something is not really on, is it? Thank you to all the organisers for their hard work :)

Joe Public certainly didn't agree it was a great show last year.The show was slated quite badly on social media.
TYPHOON3

Postby Pringles on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 7:25 pm

TYPHOON3 wrote:
speedshrew wrote:Personally, the lineup this year is excellent for Joe Public(which make up the majority of audiences for these kinds of events). We tend to think in enthusiast terms(which is fine, just a different frame of reference). I'd love to see a supersonic jet zoom over my head, but what's going to draw in your little Johnny and Jennie? An obscure jet which a hand full of people will have heard of by comparison, or the Reds/BBMF? It's a lovely lineup thus far, some people will hate it, some will go loop-de-loop for it. Knocking people for not securing something is not really on, is it? Thank you to all the organisers for their hard work :)

Joe Public certainly didn't agree it was a great show last year.The show was slated quite badly on social media.

I'd argue that, as with 2015, the weather played a huge part in that. There were some excellent classic jets booked, and obviously the B-52, and it was the weather that scuppered things, rather than anything that the organisers did.
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic
Pringles

Postby TYPHOON3 on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 7:31 pm

Pringles wrote:
TYPHOON3 wrote:

I'd argue that, as with 2015, the weather played a huge part in that. There were some excellent classic jets booked, and obviously the B-52, and it was the weather that scuppered things, rather than anything that the organisers did.

Yes the weather did spoil the show but the social media comments slated the awful commentary as well as a boring uninspiring flying display.Don't you just hate social media sometimes?
TYPHOON3

Postby speedshrew on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 7:31 pm

TYPHOON3 wrote:

THe comments I saw last year seemed positive. A few slated the car parking situation, but the show itself seemed to get good reviews, in spite of the dodgy weather....
speedshrew

Postby speedshrew on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 7:36 pm

[quote}
Yes the weather did spoil the show but the social media comments slated the awful commentary as well as a boring uninspiring flying display.Don't you just hate social media sometimes?[/quote]

Yes, because we all go to an airshow for the commentary(!)
As for the remarks about the flying display, I couldn't comment, but asking a genuine question-What's the criteria for a fantastic flying display and a boring one?
speedshrew

Postby TYPHOON3 on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 7:49 pm

Well Joe Public rely on the commentary otherwise they wouldn't have a clue of what they are watching.As for good and bad display-well that's down to individual tastes but for me Cosford 2015 was a fantastic line up and 2016 not so.
TYPHOON3

Postby JonG96 on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 8:12 pm

Does anyone know when the majority of the international fast jet display teams announce when and where they'll be displaying? Bringing four friends with me, with only one ever being to an air show before. Hoping Cosford can secure 1-2 more fast jets with the Typhoon, similar to the 2015 lineup, which was probably my favourite to date and I've been every year since 2009. :clap:
JonG96

Postby Adamwilliams132 on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 9:20 pm

I wasn't knocking the air show organisers as I understand they work hard to get acts to the show.
My point was more that other Air Arms don't view this as major U.K. Airshow. It's the sole airshow under the RAF banner it should be more well supported by the RAF in my opinion and this might show other Air Arms it's a show worth attending. When was the last time an E-3 did a flypasts at an airshow in the U.K. ? Hawk T2 display has been cut, no Tucano display, any heavy from Brize doing more than one maybe two straight passes ?
Also is it the draw of the capital that Biggin hill have got some
Good military acts from overseas ?

Again I will reiterate my points are not directed at the Airshow organisers as I'm sure they'd love to have more options regarding display aircraft and displays.
Adamwilliams132

Postby Andyperkins on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 11:50 am

JonG96 wrote:Does anyone know when the majority of the international fast jet display teams announce when and where they'll be displaying? Bringing four friends with me, with only one ever being to an air show before. Hoping Cosford can secure 1-2 more fast jets with the Typhoon, similar to the 2015 lineup, which was probably my favourite to date and I've been every year since 2009. :clap:

The 2015 line up IMO was a one off blip and certainly not the norm, Cosford to me has always been about classic jets/war birds with the Typhoon the only modern day fast jet likely to show up with perhaps 1 or 2 flypasts by Brize assets.

I am not saying the organizers don't try their best to tempt over all the jets we would like to see I have just never seen Cosford as the same type of event as Yeovilton or RIAT as some others seem to do however if 2015 was my first year I could certainly understand why the return to the norm seems like a downturn to the show.
Andyperkins

Postby Spotty_Jag on Sun 19 Mar 2017, 1:18 pm

Adamwilliams132 wrote:Also is it the draw of the capital that Biggin hill have got some Good military acts from overseas ?

A nightout in London is probably more appealing that a night in Telford or Wolverhampton, so yes! :grin:
Spotty_Jag

Postby Luke28 on Sun 19 Mar 2017, 1:43 pm

You've obviously never experienced the touch of a drunken vixen in Planet ;)
Luke28

Postby cobmauler on Mon 20 Mar 2017, 11:25 pm

With the postponement of Culdrose and the possible merger with Yeovilton, it's obvious that airshows are pretty low down on the MOD priority list. No longer are they deemed as a shop window to show the taxpayer where their money ends up. So the organisers will have to settle for whatever crumbs the MOD will throw at them. It's not your fault, you do a hard job very well and I salute you.
Regarding foreign participation, a team will probably plump for a display where they can be based at. They can turn up a couple of days before and not be so dependent on weather when transiting to the display site. And this is where Shawbury should come in. This should be the base for all visiting fast jets. If bad weather crops up for the slot, there is better chance of a bit jiggling about. If they are on route to another show then it's case of now or never. Finally.........the old chestnut of whether there would be enough response from the paying public for a two day airshow. So many successful shows now are two day affairs. What about if the show morphed into a part RAF and part charity/RIAT style. Just a thought. Discuss.
cobmauler

Postby cobmauler on Mon 20 Mar 2017, 11:28 pm

PS. Totally off track, but my post was displayed as being submitted at 12.25am, when it should be 11.25. It appears that the forum has jumped the gun on the clocks going forward!
cobmauler

Postby davidjones533 on Tue 21 Mar 2017, 6:46 am

It says 11.25 pm for me. Suggest you check your settings in the forum menu - you can change the timezone displayed to you there.
davidjones533

Postby PeterR on Tue 21 Mar 2017, 12:50 pm

Today's update....

Participation Update 21/3/17

- We're very pleased to announce that the Belgian Air Force will be sending their new NH90 TTH for static display at the Air Show, as part of our Battlefield Support theme!

As usual, the full list of participants as it currently stands in online at http://www.cosfordairshow.co.uk/intheair.php!

Cheers,
Peter :wave:
Operations Manager
RAF Cosford Air Show
PeterR

Postby Luke28 on Tue 21 Mar 2017, 12:52 pm

Fantastic addition! Look forward to that arrivals!
Luke28

Postby Ian G on Tue 21 Mar 2017, 10:25 pm

Triffic
Ian Garfield Photography Website!

Flickr Photostream

I should probably be working. Will work for doughnuts.
Ian G

Postby PeterR on Sat 25 Mar 2017, 11:13 am

Quick reminder; Last Chance to purchase discounted Early-Bird tickets is Monday (27th March)! Considering the line-up already announced (available at http://www.cosfordairshow.co.uk/intheair.php), I think the current £22.00 ticket price is great value for money! From Tuesday tickets will be priced £25.00, still available via the website but also at retail outlets such as the RAF Museum.

PS: Big participation update due on Tuesday... :ninja:
PeterR

Postby alpha586 on Sat 25 Mar 2017, 1:25 pm

PeterR wrote:Quick reminder; Last Chance to purchase discounted Early-Bird tickets is Monday (27th March)! Considering the line-up already announced (available at http://www.cosfordairshow.co.uk/intheair.php), I think the current £22.00 ticket price is great value for money! From Tuesday tickets will be priced £25.00, still available via the website but also at retail outlets such as the RAF Museum.

Could this possibly be the HungarIan Gripen that has been rumoured to be coming to the UK? A lot of people have written off Cosford as a possible destination but I know how hard you guys work to get the rarer items. Whatever it is I look forward to the show, all the best with the rest of the updates.
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!
alpha586

Postby borismorris on Sat 25 Mar 2017, 2:41 pm

I'm already all signed up and raring to go. Always nice to see some of the rare items out in the open and the display is shaping up nicely already.
borismorris

Postby Pringles on Sat 25 Mar 2017, 6:02 pm

PeterR wrote:Quick reminder; Last Chance to purchase discounted Early-Bird tickets is Monday (27th March)! Considering the line-up already announced (available at http://www.cosfordairshow.co.uk/intheair.php), I think the current £22.00 ticket price is great value for money! From Tuesday tickets will be priced £25.00, still available via the website but also at retail outlets such as the RAF Museum.

Peter are combined rail and entry tickets available yet?
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic
Pringles

PreviousNext

Return to RAF Cosford Air Show