Postby Domvickery on Thu 22 Jun 2017, 7:39 am

It will be published soon
Inventor of the baguette scale
Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Postby boff180 on Thu 22 Jun 2017, 7:55 am

Pringles wrote:
DerekF wrote:Surprised there hasn't been an official UKAR review yet? Is there one on the way?

Could be a while yet, I believe we're still waiting for a report of the F35 deployment from April :grin:

If you would like to do my job for me or pay me so that I don't have to work, feel free.
*insert abusive meme here*

Derek re: cosford - it's on its way, the staffers that are writing Cosford were also at Tiger Meet - can't be in France and processing photos at the same time :-)
boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby cg_341 on Thu 22 Jun 2017, 8:08 am

boff180 wrote:can't be in France and processing photos at the same time :-)

I was. Belgium too. ;)
cg_341

Postby DerekF on Thu 22 Jun 2017, 8:18 am

Domvickery wrote:It will be published soon

Thank you. Of course, there were plenty other members were there too if you need any help to meet timescales.
DerekF

Postby Lucasjmet15 on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 9:39 pm

What happened with the bird-dog as it was parked on the flightline but it didn't fly in the set-piece like it was supposed to do... :dunno:
Lucasjmet15

Postby Ian G on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 8:38 am

I found this online, really interesting view and detail from this year's Anson display

Ian Garfield Photography Website!

Flickr Photostream

I should probably be working. Will work for doughnuts.
Ian G

Postby PeterR on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 8:40 pm

Lucasjmet15 wrote:What happened with the bird-dog as it was parked on the flightline but it didn't fly in the set-piece like it was supposed to do... :dunno:

Different machine! The O-1 which was due for the flying display never made it due to weather, the example on the flightline was due for static display only but couldn't make it in on the Saturday sadly.
PeterR

Postby UK Airshow Review on Tue 27 Jun 2017, 5:22 am

• "Away Win" - Dan Ledwood attended a distinctly blustery RAF Cosford.

Image Image Image Image Image
UK Airshow Review

Postby n0143773 on Tue 27 Jun 2017, 12:39 pm

UK Airshow Review wrote:'Whilst the RAF/MOD and the Red Arrows sought to embarrass themselves'

Bit harsh considering this is supposed to be a somewhat 'professional' review.
n0143773

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Tue 27 Jun 2017, 2:51 pm

There is a genuine news story contained within that review, chaps:

It has transpired that the new display line was proposed by the Red Arrows themselves, due to their inability to alter their display to avoid aerobatic over flight of Albrighton, with Royal Air Force duty-holder chain insistent that the Air Show allowed their change of display axis.

This runs contrary to what was said by the organisers pre-show where they insisted the airshow's Flying Control Committee had made the changes:

"For this year the FDD has had to formally defined the display area and propagate that to all of the participants at this year's show... The regulations absolutely preclude aerobatic flying over congested areas, so there's no getting away from the fact that Albrighton is a congested area and therefore aerobatic flying over that area is forbidden... The MAA regulation that applies to this: "All flying displays shall be managed, organised and delivered in order to reduce the risk of life to at least tolerable and as low as reasonably practical"... So it was my decision, we engaged with the Red Arrows and the Typhoon, we couldn't fit them into our display area and we couldn't allow them to fly over Albrighton, and therefore we have shifted the display axis to protect that we can have full displays from those acts."

Smells to me like Cosford were told to carry the can for the reason behind the changes from someone way up the RAF food chain, to spare the embarrassment of RAFAT...

Well done to UKAR for digging this out. And bold of the source for coming forward to reveal it. :clap:
Dan O'Hagan

Postby boff180 on Tue 27 Jun 2017, 3:26 pm

Don't think it's that clear cut Dan.

"So it was my decision, we engaged with the Red Arrows and the Typhoon"

That can be quite easily interpreted as the: Red Arrows/Typhoon were shown the display area, they made a counter proposal which was then agreed by the duty holder.

Regardless it was a stupid and daft decision no matter the source.
boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby exocet_uk on Mon 10 Jul 2017, 9:20 am

Pringles wrote:
exocet_uk wrote:I'm lead to believe that the Reds issue has a good chance of manifesting itself at other locations to come this season. It is absolutely not the Cosford team that have decreed it.

Seems that yes, it was the Cosford team that decreed it

:cuppa: :cuppa: :cuppa:
exocet_uk

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Tue 11 Jul 2017, 7:45 am

exocet_uk wrote:
Pringles wrote:
exocet_uk wrote:I'm lead to believe that the Reds issue has a good chance of manifesting itself at other locations to come this season. It is absolutely not the Cosford team that have decreed it.

Seems that yes, it was the Cosford team that decreed it

:cuppa: :cuppa: :cuppa:

Very interested to see if they chicken out of using the regular RIAT line, as presumably some elements will take them over Fairford village.

And Biggin Hill is surely a non-starter.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby UKTopgun on Tue 11 Jul 2017, 10:25 pm

For sure we got a Reds display at Royston last weekend, not DX
UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Previous

Return to RAF Cosford Air Show