Post by Shaft »

I sure would but got an email saying no. :sad:
Chief Pilot / Display Pilot
Newcastle Jet Provost
Hunter Flight Academy

D200

Re: Cosford Airshow 2012 |OT|

Post by D200 »

The Flying program is absolutely full; and has already been extended in duration far beyond initial aspirations. Even potential static aircraft willing to display for free cannot be guaranteed parking space as that is also full. In summary, the only flexibility now on ground or air would come from a cancellation. Not complaining as this is surely good news for our visitors.

cobmauler

Post by cobmauler »

Can anyone tell what the chances are of the vulcan displaying at this year show?

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

The airshow team did 'tweet' that XH558 is too expensive and therefore would not be appearing this year. :smile:

cobmauler

Post by cobmauler »

Thanks for the reply. Not really what I was hoping for! If that is the case, it seems a bit daft as I would have thought that with money so tight for the paying public and the vulcan being at least as big a draw as the Arrows, the presence of the big V would have put a few more thousand bums on grass! Also there is no foreign fast jet presence after the f-16 giving us a taste a couple of years ago.

D200

Post by D200 »

Shawbury based FBH (RAF) Agusta 109 added to the static display. There were several factors involved in the decision process for air show participants and cost is but one element. We have the biggest show at Cosford for years both in the air and on the ground. For everybody that wanted the Vulcan there will be others whose choice would have been a B17. The simple fact is that there are only so many hours in a day and we have filled that time with only 2-3 mins between displays. The selection chosen will appeal to a wide selection of society and enthusiasts and families alike will appreciate the choice of displays. Visitors from afar as Tasmania and Australia are attending the show and we aspire to provide good value for money. Bottom line is that the potential participants could provide entertainment from sunrise to sunset, but the cost of such a show would be prohibitive to run and attend.

Foreign governments are severely limiting participation outside their own countries and it could be that expectations at other shows during the year prove disappointing. I hope not; but cancellations down the line would not surprise me and may prove to be an unwelcome element of the 2012 season. Time will tell but at this time Cosford is confident that displays advertised will commit to the day, and we :dizzy: are not advertising participants without that assurance which is why the list has broadened with time.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Cosford is looking brilliant this year, I have no idea whether it's the new management bringing a few fresh ideas or just a lucky season but I'm very excited! Top work to the organisers for their hard work! :clap:

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Tommy wrote:Cosford is looking brilliant this year, I have no idea whether it's the new management bringing a few fresh ideas or just a lucky season but I'm very excited! Top work to the organisers for their hard work! :clap:

+1

:clap:

YoungWelshLad

Post by YoungWelshLad »

Hans Barrichello wrote:
Tommy wrote:Cosford is looking brilliant this year, I have no idea whether it's the new management bringing a few fresh ideas or just a lucky season but I'm very excited! Top work to the organisers for their hard work! :clap:

+1

:clap:

+ 2 on that! The organizers have line up a great, varied flying display for us! Particularly looking forward to seeing Meteor WA591, the Typhoon, the Tonka role demo and the Apache! :biggrin:

D200

Post by D200 »

The 'Rotary Static' park is scheduled to be:

RAF Merlin - confirmed
RAF Griffin - -"-
RAF Squirrel -"-
FBH Agusta 109 -"-
Belgium AF Agusta 109 -"-

The 'Garden' static park is scheduled to have:

T61 Venture (Air Cadet markings)
Cadet TXIII (Air Cadet silver scheme)
Cadet I fuselage (Camouflaged)
Jurca Tempete G-ASUS

The 'UBAS' CFS themed park is scheduled to have:

Tiger Moth
Chipmunk
2x Bulldog
Slingsby Firefly
Jet Provost T5
Red Arrow Gnat
Grob Tutor
The Squirrel may join this line if the rotary park is overcrowded. The grassed area adjacent to this has been set aside for family picnics.

The Jaguar line is scheduled to have:
3 possibly 4 Jaguars consisting of:
The Jaguar painted Jaguar, known locally as Tiger Jag!
Gulf War beige Jaguar.
Jaguar T2
Another aircraft has been requested, but may not happen and if so an all black (ex-Cranwell) Jaguar will join the cosmopolitan Jaguar line up.

In addition to this there will be ground trade displays including light aircraft and micro lights. An ATC Vigilant will reside in the Air Cadet village; a Viking has been requested.
Not under my control but some Jaguars/Jet Provosts previously scheduled to be 'hidden' may now be on view between the Craft hangar and the fun fair as that dispersal is not intended to be used for display static aircraft. The parallel grass runway will be the dynamic aircraft parking area allowing the spectators a good view of the air-display aircraft.
Last edited by D200 on Tue 29 May 2012, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Timc

Post by Timc »

Well, D200 that is an absolutley superb effort and really well thought out. I'm sure that all the enthusiasts like me are very appreciative of the teams' endeavours.

A really big thank you to all concerned, really looking forward to the Jaguar line-up in particular!

Cheers
Tim

D200

Post by D200 »

Appreciate the comments, and hopeful that the weather is on our side to.

The Great War team will be Sopwith Triplane and two Se5s v the x3 Germans but no triplane. Quite looking forward to that one.

D200

Post by D200 »

It is with regret that the static display AAC Bell 212 helicopter has cancelled due to other commitments. Any cancellation is a blow but other potential additions remain so all is not lost.

shaggy101

Post by shaggy101 »

Shame. Oh well, the rest of the show still looks pretty good
Dan,

westhamfan84

Post by westhamfan84 »

D200 wrote:It is with regret that the static display AAC Bell 212 helicopter has cancelled due to other commitments. Any cancellation is a blow but other potential additions remain so all is not lost.

This is still one of the best cosford shows in years. just wondering those additions you speak of are they static or in the flying display?
Planned Shows for 2022 - Midlands air festival, Cosford, Weston, Southport, Riat, Blackpool, Bournemouth

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

D200 wrote:It is with regret that the static display AAC Bell 212 helicopter has cancelled due to other commitments.

A real shame - one of the highlights this year. :sad:

D200

Post by D200 »

Today I can confirm a dynamic static display, and if that is a contradiction in terms, the answer is simple:

You wanted a live jaguar

You have got a live Jaguar!

.....but you have to get there early to see it. After weeks of staffwork, we can confirm that a 238 Sqn Jaguar will complete a return live taxi of the Cosford runway. So full is the dynamic element of the show that the only time we can complete this is at 10:00 am, however anybody who wishes to see, hear and smell a Jaguar may do so at this years Cosford Air Show. I dont know at this stage which one it will be although I suspect it may be a gloss black one. I know there will be those who would prefer the Jaguar- Jaguar but once the run is completed, the aircraft will go south side and too far from the public gaze for the special Jag to be fully appreciated.

Yet again, you talked, we listened. :rock:

Motorcyclists will have a cloakroom facility provided by the ATC to avoid humping kit around on what is going to be a blistering hot day :yahoo:

YoungWelshLad

Post by YoungWelshLad »

D200 wrote:Today I can confirm a dynamic static display, and if that is a contradiction in terms, the answer is simple:

You wanted a live jaguar

.....but you have to get there early to see it. After weeks of staffwork, we can confirm that a 238 Sqn Jaguar will complete a return live taxi of the Cosford runway. So full is the dynamic element of the show that the only time we can complete this is at 10:00 am, however anybody who wishes to see, hear and smell a Jaguar may do so at this years Cosford Air Show. I dont know at this stage which one it will be although I suspect it may be a gloss black one. I know there will be those who would prefer the Jaguar- Jaguar but once the run is completed, the aircraft will go south side and too far from the public gaze for the special Jag to be fully appreciated.

Motorcyclists will have a cloakroom facility provided by the ATC to avoid humping kit around on what is going to be a blistering hot day :yahoo:

Excellent! Roll on the 17th! We're bringing my Granddad's 82yr old cousin along with us, so especially looking forward to the Meteor, Gnat's, Swordfish and the BBMF this year!

st24

Post by st24 »

D200 wrote:Yet again, you talked, we listened. :rock: :

Amen to that! :worship: I really cannot get over how open and forthcoming organising teams are this year, it makes a massive difference to the whole airshow experience. I salute you all..... :win:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

st24 wrote:
D200 wrote:Yet again, you talked, we listened. :rock: :

Amen to that! :worship: I really cannot get over how open and forthcoming organising teams are this year, it makes a massive difference to the whole airshow experience. I salute you all..... :win:

You've hit the nail on the head there, I have no idea what has caused this shake-up across the whole airshow scene this year but it certainly is a huge improvement. :yahoo: :clap:

Mixed grill

Post by Mixed grill »

Thank you to everyone who has made the Jaguar taxi run happen. As a massive fan of the Jaguar this will be one of the highlights for me on the day and for that matter a highlight of the season. Thank you once again from a very happy Jaguar fan :lol: :smile:
"Access to the cockpit is difficult, and it is recommended that it be made impossible"

st24

Post by st24 »

D200 wrote:Today I can confirm a dynamic static display, and if that is a contradiction in terms, the answer is simple:

You wanted a live jaguar

Just regarding the live Jag - where will it be operating from?? (I really wish you could say Coltishall!!)
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

D200

Post by D200 »

It will start up at the railway station end and taxi the full runway length there and back before hiding in the SE side of the airfield. The return trip is about 10 mins.

CH2

Post by CH2 »

D200 wrote:It will start up at the railway station end and taxi the full runway length there and back before hiding in the SE side of the airfield. The return trip is about 10 mins.

That is absolutely a superb piece of graft,brilliant well done. :clap: :clap:
Cheers,

Chris

Timc

Post by Timc »

The Jaguar taxi run is an event within itself and I'm really looking forward to it so really well done for arranging that!

Only a small suggestion, but would it be possible to get the Jag to do a 360 degree turn at crowd centre line, it would prove a real wiinner amongst the togs and general public I'm sure. Somewhat similar to the Brunty taxi runs?

Could suggest partial candles lit for about 3 seconds but that's probably asking too much with a relatively short runway!....And that's just wishful thinking on my part I have to admit! :biggrin:

Cheers
Tim