Cosford Airshow 2012 |OT|

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Flare Path

Re: Cosford Airshow 2012 |OT|

Post by Flare Path »

D200 wrote:It is with regret that the static display AAC Bell 212 helicopter has cancelled due to other commitments.

A real shame - one of the highlights this year. :sad:

D200

Post by D200 »

Today I can confirm a dynamic static display, and if that is a contradiction in terms, the answer is simple:

You wanted a live jaguar

You have got a live Jaguar!

.....but you have to get there early to see it. After weeks of staffwork, we can confirm that a 238 Sqn Jaguar will complete a return live taxi of the Cosford runway. So full is the dynamic element of the show that the only time we can complete this is at 10:00 am, however anybody who wishes to see, hear and smell a Jaguar may do so at this years Cosford Air Show. I dont know at this stage which one it will be although I suspect it may be a gloss black one. I know there will be those who would prefer the Jaguar- Jaguar but once the run is completed, the aircraft will go south side and too far from the public gaze for the special Jag to be fully appreciated.

Yet again, you talked, we listened. :rock:

Motorcyclists will have a cloakroom facility provided by the ATC to avoid humping kit around on what is going to be a blistering hot day :yahoo:

YoungWelshLad

Post by YoungWelshLad »

D200 wrote:Today I can confirm a dynamic static display, and if that is a contradiction in terms, the answer is simple:

You wanted a live jaguar

.....but you have to get there early to see it. After weeks of staffwork, we can confirm that a 238 Sqn Jaguar will complete a return live taxi of the Cosford runway. So full is the dynamic element of the show that the only time we can complete this is at 10:00 am, however anybody who wishes to see, hear and smell a Jaguar may do so at this years Cosford Air Show. I dont know at this stage which one it will be although I suspect it may be a gloss black one. I know there will be those who would prefer the Jaguar- Jaguar but once the run is completed, the aircraft will go south side and too far from the public gaze for the special Jag to be fully appreciated.

Motorcyclists will have a cloakroom facility provided by the ATC to avoid humping kit around on what is going to be a blistering hot day :yahoo:

Excellent! Roll on the 17th! We're bringing my Granddad's 82yr old cousin along with us, so especially looking forward to the Meteor, Gnat's, Swordfish and the BBMF this year!

st24

Post by st24 »

D200 wrote:Yet again, you talked, we listened. :rock: :

Amen to that! :worship: I really cannot get over how open and forthcoming organising teams are this year, it makes a massive difference to the whole airshow experience. I salute you all..... :win:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

st24 wrote:
D200 wrote:Yet again, you talked, we listened. :rock: :

Amen to that! :worship: I really cannot get over how open and forthcoming organising teams are this year, it makes a massive difference to the whole airshow experience. I salute you all..... :win:

You've hit the nail on the head there, I have no idea what has caused this shake-up across the whole airshow scene this year but it certainly is a huge improvement. :yahoo: :clap:

Mixed grill

Post by Mixed grill »

Thank you to everyone who has made the Jaguar taxi run happen. As a massive fan of the Jaguar this will be one of the highlights for me on the day and for that matter a highlight of the season. Thank you once again from a very happy Jaguar fan :lol: :smile:
"Access to the cockpit is difficult, and it is recommended that it be made impossible"

st24

Post by st24 »

D200 wrote:Today I can confirm a dynamic static display, and if that is a contradiction in terms, the answer is simple:

You wanted a live jaguar

Just regarding the live Jag - where will it be operating from?? (I really wish you could say Coltishall!!)

D200

Post by D200 »

It will start up at the railway station end and taxi the full runway length there and back before hiding in the SE side of the airfield. The return trip is about 10 mins.

CH2

Post by CH2 »

D200 wrote:It will start up at the railway station end and taxi the full runway length there and back before hiding in the SE side of the airfield. The return trip is about 10 mins.

That is absolutely a superb piece of graft,brilliant well done. :clap: :clap:
Cheers,

Chris

Timc

Post by Timc »

The Jaguar taxi run is an event within itself and I'm really looking forward to it so really well done for arranging that!

Only a small suggestion, but would it be possible to get the Jag to do a 360 degree turn at crowd centre line, it would prove a real wiinner amongst the togs and general public I'm sure. Somewhat similar to the Brunty taxi runs?

Could suggest partial candles lit for about 3 seconds but that's probably asking too much with a relatively short runway!....And that's just wishful thinking on my part I have to admit! :biggrin:

Cheers
Tim

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

Reheat's inhibited on the ground running Jags isn't it?

D200

Post by D200 »

80% is the governed limitation, but dont get your hopes up, it will an elegant affair not a whazz down the runway. We knew it would be popular but I confess to being a little surprised by just how much emotion it has stirred. The 'pilot' will be an Engineering Instructor, fortunate enough to have this sort of exercise as part of his normal day to day duties.

I will ask the question about a mid-point 360 turn. It may be that he has to turn short of the far end if road traffic there is an issue, and abeam the DRDF ariel is the proposed turning point. This is not fixed as we fine tune it to coincide with concurrent events.

If the Jaguar flight line goes as hoped, it will look 'operational' rather then just a few airframes dragged out for the day. It is Cosfords No 238 Sqn that are doing the hard work to make this element of the show a success, and it is not before time that they were placed firmly on the aviation map for it is a vital task that they teach. As much as we listen to the contributers here so do the media read these pages and kudos should be given to 238 where possible.

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

It'll be the first public taxi run from a Jag post retirement of the type - certainly worthwhile for Jag fans. Unfortunately I'll be out of the country but :clap: for putting it on!

hunterxf382

Post by hunterxf382 »

D200 you and the members of 238 Sqn are to be applauded for the efforts going in to this 'extra' attraction!
If I wasn't working I would have been at the show as it's my local venue and I'm a frequent visitor, so I'm pretty gutted to miss seeing all the hard work.... but a big thank you anyway :clap: :clap:
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

st24

Post by st24 »

D200 wrote:If the Jaguar flight line goes as hoped, it will look 'operational' rather then just a few airframes dragged out for the day. It is Cosfords No 238 Sqn that are doing the hard work to make this element of the show a success, and it is not before time that they were placed firmly on the aviation map for it is a vital task that they teach. As much as we listen to the contributers here so do the media read these pages and kudos should be given to 238 where possible.

I think I'm loking forward to this more than the live taxy - seeing some old camo birds in their old unit markings in the daylight will be epic!! :clap:

D200

Post by D200 »

The static Jaguar aircraft are scheduled to be:

A desert camouflaged single seater.
A grey T bird.
The Jaguar-Jaguar.
An all over black one may be present as a fourth aircraft if my final ace card is not realised.

The static aircraft are spread over four locations this year and we could not get another aircraft in if we wanted to. In addition, the is a micro light, albeit a small aircraft in reality from Halton and some flying club exhibitors in addition to visiting civilian aircraft. The airfield is virtually active all day.

The hangar displays may include some GR1 in grey/green camouflage and RAFG markings.

Dollar99

Post by Dollar99 »

D200 wrote:The static Jaguar aircraft are scheduled to be:

A desert camouflaged single seater.
A grey T bird.
The Jaguar-Jaguar.
An all over black one may be present as a fourth aircraft if my final ace card is not realised.

The static aircraft are spread over four locations this year and we could not get another aircraft in if we wanted to. In addition, the is a micro light, albeit a small aircraft in reality from Halton and some flying club exhibitors in addition to visiting civilian aircraft. The airfield is virtually active all day.

The hangar displays may include some GR1 in grey/green camouflage and RAFG markings.

D200 - appears you are doing a cracking job :smile:

On the basis of, if you don't ask you don't get, any chance of any sort of raised platform/airstair near the Jaguars, which, for a small contribution to the Benevolent Fund the photographers can use to get an elevated view?

D200

Post by D200 »

Never say never but I suspect that the Health & Safety Police may have a say in letting the public go up airstairs for the purpose of photography. Not to say its not a good idea and there is no harm in asking.

D200

Post by D200 »

Now is the time we are looking closely at the long range weather forecast; for that is one thing over which we have no control. It appears that the jetstream is strong at the moment with weather systems passing quickly across the UK accompanied by showers of rain. This is not indicative of a stable period of weather which effectively means that anything could happen although the days leading up to the event may well prove to be the best indicator of expected weather on the day. The summary that best applies to most sources that I have checked is:

15/6 to 21/6
The beginnings of a change in the weather are expected this week. A trend towards warmer and drier conditions is likely, although showers or more persistent outbreaks of rain are still quite probable at times. Temperatures often close to the seasonal average, but possibly rising above later on.

There appears to be universal agreement that the temp will be approx 17`c which is pleasantly warm accompanied by sunshine and showers or overcast (dry) and breezy. Or in short, typical air show weather!
Due to the unstable nature of the weather systems; it is far too premature to assume an expectation and one must remain optimistic of a pleasant day for the show.

D200

Post by D200 »

Just when you thought the program was full..... Well actually it is! But we can squeaze in a most welcome participant that hopefully will appear both majestic and really noisy!!

I give you, one of the Royal Air Forces longest serving stalwarts, in its twilight months and surely Britains finest:

Vickers VC10 :rock:

I never get bored of VC10s and for almost certainly the final flypast at Cosford a VC10 will follow the Red Arrows mid afternoon for a single flypast. Happy Days.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Do you mean the VC10 is appearing after the Red Arrows? Or the VC10 will be in formation with the Red Arrows? :drool:

Top work by the team, Cosford this year is looking like a 100% improvement on recent years! :clap:

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

D200 wrote:Just when you thought the program was full..... Well actually it is! But we can squeaze in a most welcome participant that hopefully will appear both majestic and really noisy!!

I give you, one of the Royal Air Forces longest serving stalwarts, in its twilight months and surely Britains finest:

Vickers VC10 :rock:

I never get bored of VC10s and for almost certainly the final flypast at Cosford a VC10 will follow the Red Arrows mid afternoon for a single flypast. Happy Days.

:shock: Wow.

Here's hoping for a vast improvement in the weather.

Timc

Post by Timc »

Weather is looking more promising than this weekend....So far! And it's a big So far!

Reading it correctly it would appear that the VC10 "will follow" the Reds so a solo flypast is as I see it, but with D200s' recent track record anything could be possible! :clap:

Cheers
Tim

D200

Post by D200 »

Well actually, I would like the Reds to follow the VC10 through the field, literally, but sadly even I cannot create miracles. It would be awesome to see a Ten with the Hawks in toe, but it is not going to happen :worship:

But I am delighted to get a Ten at all and it will be the same aircraft that completes the Queens Birthday Flypast the day before. No formal display and only a single flypast, but a 'very' welcome addition to the program. :rock:

It is only when you see photos of a VC10 at such long lost places like Changi that you realise just how much service to the country the VC10 has provided, and this little gesture of celebration of a job well done is richly deserved. I sincerely hope that the Captain reminds us why it is banned from so many civilian airports around the world as I have not read any rules on noise limitations at Cosford :yahoo:

Timc

Post by Timc »

Sounds like (literally) VC10's going to come in nice and low, 100ft will do me! :lol: