Cosford Airshow 2012 |OT|

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: Cosford Airshow 2012 |OT|

Post by Tommy »

D200 wrote:Flares are not as likely in UK events as they are on the continent due to UK regulations. Never say never, but it does have associated safety problems.

Ahh groovy, I know flares are a little more rare over here, I was just wondering if there was an outright "No flares" policy like RIAT, or one that says "we can have the use of flares but need to have a big risk assessment/evaluation" type of thing.

Thanks for the reply, keep up the good work. :up:

D200

Post by D200 »

An aircraft equipped with flares is considered to be 'armed', and the big headaches come if it lands armed rather then an aircraft that joins from elsewhere and departs without landing. Hence RIAT will not want the limitations that an armed aircraft has as baggage. Understandable.

D200

Post by D200 »

The DH82 Tiger Moth is a static display only; being the oldest training aircraft in a line up that spans Tiger Moth -> Grob Tutor. It will arrive saturday and should fly out sunday evening from the grass runway if anyone wishes to remain to watch its departure after the show. Newly restored, and wearing an RAF camouflaged colour scheme, it is a most welcome addition to our CFS themed static line.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

If anyone's planning on travelling by rail, Cosford station is now (finally) open again. :smile:

D200

Post by D200 »

The main static line up is now confirmed as being positioned on the UBAS dispersal; and this is where the CFS themed aircraft will be. You will never get away from crowds and barriers at an airshow unless you are very early, but at least the fairground and traders need not be a feature of your photographic endevours. The Jaguars will be adjacent to a new (for Cosford) ground display arena based on what is usually the Jaguar flight line and should give as good as it gets for Jaguar fans these days. I have requested that the airframes be adorned with appropriate underwing stores as opposed to clean aircraft and with any luck a typically operational flightline with ground equipment, canopies open, ladders attached etc, etc. It is likely that some will be like this and others not to provide a variety. I do expect the "jaguar" Jaguar to be on external display. The helicopters will be where they normally are though with more real-estate to use, I hope to present them in a more eye-pleasing fashion then is usually the case. The question of barrier distance is an interesting one as general public and aviation enthusiasts have different needs with one wishing to get up-close-and-personal and the others aiming for airframes without clutter. All I can say at this time is that we will strive to cater for both groups where possible. In short, we listened and acted; and time will tell if we have got the balance right.
The taxi-way being used is a none-starter due to traffic flow and disabled parking, and hard standing is a valuable asset when the memories of Waddington and RIAT waterlogged airfields are recalled.

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

This year's approach from airshow organisers is a nice, refreshing change. Keeping everyone informed as best you can is the best way to be and it is appreciated. Thanks for these updates :smile:

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

:clap:

A40-BP

Post by A40-BP »

Is XH558 on the planbook?

Cheers

With dumb bombs and retarded bomblets, why don't they just use stupid missiles?

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

Quite looking forward to this year :)
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

JohnF

Post by JohnF »

Nice lot of helicopters displaying this year. Is the plan to park them in the usual place - left hand end of the crowd line as you're facing the runway?

D200

Post by D200 »

An updated particpant list is imminent. Protocol says that www.cosfordairshow.co.uk should display that first; but I can say that the dynamic elements of the show now start with large scale models at 10:45 and the subsequent flying display continues through to 17:47 to be followed by a manic departure phase of aircraft visitors before the airfield closes at 18:05. It will be a busy day for a lot of people :rock:

D200

Post by D200 »

There is also a none BBMF Solo Hurricane flying display. The static display continues to grow to the point that we are now having to look very closely at available parking space. In fact, I think if they all attend, it may be the largest number of static aircraft at Cosford ever whilst giving the exhibits 'space' . The full stop is yet to be placed on the final program in air and ground displays. The glider and Pawnee is the FX Glider display, a little more dynamic then might otherwise be expected!

http://www.gliderfx.com/
http://www.swipteam.com/Pages/home-mobile.aspx
Last edited by D200 on Wed 09 May 2012, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D200

Post by D200 »

Pleased to report that the Belgiques confirmed that a pair of Agusta 109 will be at this years show. DHFS have confirmed a Squirrel & Griffin in the static park to keep the Merlin company. An unusual little aircraft will be in the static; G-ASUS. Still awaiting decisions on a few eye pleasing potential participants which I really hope come to fruition because I will be delighted to keep a secret that gets a "Where did that come from" on the day! ...if I dont, it will not be for lack of trying.

Helicopters will be in the usual place and with the Glider FX displaying, I want to get a small collection of gliders near the helicopters to put gliding and the Air Training Corps on the map. Behind the scenes there is a mountain of work going on to optimise the day and appeal to all ages and interests.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Still got the Army 212 on the static display?

Cosford is sounding VERY promising this year, thank-you for your hard work. A really noticeable change for 2012!

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Presumably the Mustang is Jumpin' Jacques?

D200

Post by D200 »

A photo of the Mustang has been sent to the webmaster, it is from Hangar 11. I still expect the B212 to attend although I am aware of possible higher priority tasking that could ruin my day so remaining optimistic tinged by awareness that all military aircraft have an operational role to do that may take a presidence in the same way that the Sea King is on call and weekends are when they are busy in the mountains.

A40-BP

Post by A40-BP »

soxyloxy wrote:According to the official site the Falcons will drop from a C-130! Could that perhaps mean the C-130 will perform a flypast after the Falcons themselves have dropped!? :biggrin:

With the Be A109 Pair, is that 1 static 1 flying, or a flying Duo? Cheers in advance, and this years show is indeed sounding very promising, can't wait! :clap: :cool:

The Herc should do a flypast afterwards if thats the case-its tradition! The A109 will be one demo one support.

D200- is the Vulcan invited/planned at all?

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

-
Last edited by Flare Path on Thu 10 May 2012, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D200

Post by D200 »

The C130 is a Cessna Caravan reg G-DLAA (i think, will update tomorrow if wrong) as all C130 are subject to operational tasking. It will still do the fly-by as the team take a VIP salute post landing. The DZ is about the half way point of the crowd line. The Caravan will land and depart again during the afternoon. I do not know yet if the second A109 is to be a static or a spare. If given the choice, it will be a static and thus more accessible to visitors.

The Vulcan is not on this years flying program, however my understanding is that this years flying program is the largest ever without being at all detrimental to quality. I am not easily impressed, but I sincerely believe that we will have a lot of happy people this year.

A40-BP

Post by A40-BP »

Kool cheers for that. I have every faith that it'll be a good show, just hope the weather gods agree. Something's really upset them recently!

You sure on the Caraven though? For every time ive seen them jump from a Caravan, there's no flypast! Herc's, Dak's and Wokka's yes, but never seen the Caravan afterwards!

D200

Post by D200 »

Caravan flypast. That is the brief I got from the Falcons 2ic, so I reckon its reliable info.

sohvimus

Post by sohvimus »

I certainly am looking forward to seeing the Pitts Pair, such a marvellous little plane. :)

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Shame the Vulcan isnt appearing .

Any idea what time the flying display actually starts , and is there any way of getting to know the flying itinery in advance as I may be on a strict timescale !

Thanks.

D200

Post by D200 »

There will be arrivals during the morning. The large models start at about 1030. The Falcons weather balloon is released at aprox 1100. The Pawnee will fly a banner at 1145 and the Falcons start the show at 1200. The final program will be an insert in the souvenir program :heyhey:
Additional flying displays mean the an uninterupted display should run through to 1750 with the airfield closing at 1810. We hope that ground displays will remain available until after 7pm to reduce the mass exodus to a controlled traffic flow. It has worked well in the past.
An additional static display was confirmed today; in addition to the Cadet III glider will be the fuselage of a wartime Cadet I glider.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

The Hunter T7 (WV318 / G-FFOX) would be a great addition to this years flying display. Fits in with the CFS theme but also it has a new Queen's Jubilee paint scheme. I'd sure Neil would love to display her!