Appalling Organisation

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Andy Hill

Re: Appalling Organisation

Post by Andy Hill »

There were similar issues at Silverstone. Only when Bernie nagged at TB, and some political deal saw a dual carriageway built, and lots of hard standing, does it seem to be solved.

It is the ultimate dilemma - put on a good airshow, lots of people want to come, the infrastructure cannot physically cope.

"Blame" might make one feel better, but achieves little. Learning lessons and doing all to avoid a repetition is a better route, as aviation accident reporting has learnt. But until you can stop people getting in their cars and clogging up the approach roads, I think it is out of most people's control?

st24

Post by st24 »

DanO1978 wrote:
Timc wrote:Don't quite know why anybody should apologise or say "sorry" as Dan is eluding to?

D200's contemptous talk of "shared responsibility" for the problems comes across in a way extraordinarily hostile and dismissive of paying punters. "Hundreds" of which, by his own reckoning, had their days spoiled. His tone is very much "it's my show, play by my rules".

An apology, a simple "yes, hands up, we got this bit wrong, and our communications were unacceptable" would, I'm sure, go a long way to pacifying someone like Derek.

In the corporate world, an apology, even when not entirely necessary in your own eyes, goes a long, long way.

Dan, seriously, why are you being UKAR's Jeremy Paxman, demanding answers on behalf of your fellow, wronged enthusiasts? I believe this is an airshow forum, not a political debating society picking at the bones of the corporate world. I'm quite sure the likes of Derek and co who had a bad day are big and ugly enough to fight their own corner and get answers how they see fit. Your constant, deeply offensive badgering of D200, using words such as "hostile, dismissive and contemptuous", who at the end of the day puled off a wonderful little show, is on the verge of bullying in my humble opinion. No one died - give it up now, for gawd's sake - chill out, and tune in to Trooping the colour or the Volkel live feed, or both as I am....You'll have a much better day.....
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

st24

Post by st24 »

DanO1978 wrote:Oh, Geoff, give it a rest.

:lmao: Awesome- ME give it a rest!! You're a star Dan O, you really are...love it..... :lmao:

st24

Post by st24 »

DanO1978 wrote:
st24 wrote:

:lmao: Awesome- ME give it a rest!! You're a star Dan O, you really are...love it..... :lmao:

Not got paint schemes or serial numbers to fret about today?

I've already moaned about the Dutch f-16 not having a 100 anniversary scheme on another thread thanks.
Not got an airshow to freeload at and then rip the show and team apart to fret about today?

st24

Post by st24 »

DanO1978 wrote:
st24 wrote:
DanO1978 wrote:
st24 wrote:

Not got paint schemes or serial numbers to fret about today?

I've already moaned about the Dutch f-16 not having a 100 anniversary scheme on another thread thanks.
Not got an airshow to freeload at and then rip the show and team apart to fret about today?

You've been seen in the Duxford field before now, lest we forget.

Duxford, Finningley, Waddington, Yeovilton, Brawdy, Valley, Farnboro', Bierset, Zhukovsky, Paris, Koksijde, Bentwaters, March AFB....the list goes on... you could say I've freeloaded at some of the premier airshow venues, but I've never had the gall to slate the organisers, venue or anyone else who actually paid to go in or ever said that I'm not in a very risky area like you do so vehemently... Any way, as usual you've dragged us off topic yet again.. :up:

alpha586

Post by alpha586 »

MOM DAD the kids are at it again!!
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!

Inthrustwetrust

Post by Inthrustwetrust »

I do feel that D200 is being a tad too defensive on this one.

In business, it's always easier to hold a hand up and say 'sorry, there were problems and we will learn from them' , than trying to deflect questions in a defensive way.

People will always forgive the apology, despite the inconvenience to them at the time. What they won't do is forgive those that won't very easily.

Contrition is a PR watchword.

I'd also suggest only 1representative posting here from Cosford, as the message can get mixed, and good organisations don't usually have more than 1 person posting info as it becomes problematical.

Cheers
Dave
Canon 6D, 50D & 600d
Canon 28-105 &100-400 L usm lens

Aviation pics on davejonesphotography/zenfolio/

D200

Post by D200 »

I'd also suggest only 1representative posting here from Cosford, as the message can get mixed, and good organisations don't usually have more than 1 person posting info as it becomes problematical.

There is only one person from Cosford posting here and I post my personal views giving an insight into the workings of the event and inviting constructive suggestions /criticisms which I have acted upon. I only have a single UKAR account despite Dans unfounded allegation to the contrary. The office have made a statement which is to be found on the website and has been reproduced on these pages. I do not feel the need to add a personal statement to that and will not be bullied by the likes of Dan into doing so. This is my own viewpoint and I stand by it. Dan in particular thrives on confrontation and UKAR members have made statements which he will not like as they are not on his song sheet. Constructive criticism has always been welcome and where I can, I will adopt and change procedures for the better. Examples of this are seen in all of the Jaguars being out, the Jaguar taxi of 2012 expanded into a pair for 2013, the MERT role demo, the Cold War and Afghan stands all of which involved months of frustration, blood, sweat and tears. All of which I am proud to have influenced, and when I look at the comments of some, yes I can empathise, but get dragged into a bitchfest with the likes of Dan, no, it is not going to happen. I will tolerate Dans game for a few more days, and if it continues, I am gone, and then the opportunity for the genuine enthusiasts on these pages to be heard will be lost. I can say with absolute certainty that I can live without this.

alpha586

Post by alpha586 »

DanO1978 wrote:
alpha586 wrote:MOM DAD the kids are at it again!!

Sorry, and you are?

As UKAR staff I would have thought you could see who I was? This thread has just descended into a petty slanging match. I would have thought as UKAR staff you would be a bit more mature in your posts abviously not!
I have been to many airshows too many to list yes some of them have things they could work on and yes constructive criticism is well accepted by pretty much all organisers but what is being said on here is just not gonna help anybody!
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

I'm not after an apology, simply an admission that the organizers, specifically those dealing with the traffic got this one badly wrong. What makes it worse is that there are some on here and indeed on the Cosford website that are placing the blame on those like myself that chose not to buy an advance ticket. That is unacceptable. As I've said before, not everyone can make the decision in time to buy advance tickets. Paying on the gate has been a perfectly acceptable way to go to an airshow for a long time.
The advice given the day before was that advance tickets had sold out and the only way to gain entry was to pay on the gate. For that to be turned around and then the following morning state that entry would only be with advance tickets. For this to be reversed during the day to then state that no-one was turned away was just ludicrous. Surely the organizers can see why many are irritated by this.
If the problem is caused by conflicting information on social media then sort it out but don't try and blame those trying to get in. In one sense that is true; we are to blame. If no-one turned up then there would be no traffic problems at all. I don't think that's what you want.

Having said that, respect to folks like Finningley Boy queuing for 5 hours to get in. Your perseverance does you credit.

I'm not one of those who won't be back. There are precious few airshows left in this part of the world to rule out going to one within an hour and a half's drive away. I doubt if I'll be able to persuade my wife and daughter though. It was difficult enough to persuade them to come this time!