Cosford Harriers

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
D200

Cosford Harriers

Post by D200 »

Cosford Harriers:

Building on the success of the 2013 Harrier in a hide; 2014 will see some developments including the arrival next Tuesday of a GR9. Meanwhile the GR3 received some maintenance today and a rare sighting outdoors. This enabled it to show off its new Aden cannons, inboard fuel tanks, external Sidewinders, and in-flight refuelling probe. In summary: Falklands Role equipment. The missing panel under the nose is away being used as a pattern part for a new build that is inclusive of the 'bump' found on the Falklands aircraft. That is how much accuracy is being put into the project. The OCU markings are not long for this world and should have been replaced with IV (AC) Sqn markings before the Cosford Air Show on 8th June 2014.

Feel free to add photographs of the Cosford Harriers ....

D200

Re: Cosford Harriers

Post by D200 »

The same aircraft a year ago when it started its new life:

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

Looks great!
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

Sundowner

Post by Sundowner »

Superb !!!!

hunterxf382

Post by hunterxf382 »

Looks very impressive indeed - an admirable effort to 'get things right' :clap:
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

stevieb

Post by stevieb »

That looks fantastic! A job well done! :clap:
Hunting for the bygone picture, reviving phantoms of the past. Claudia Brücken
www.pbase.com/stevieb

D200

Post by D200 »

A GR9 (ZD465) arrived today to participate within what I hope will be one of the highlights of Cosfords ground displays in 2014. For sure it was to only Harrier in the UK to get off the ground (outside) albeit for a very short while.

The next six months will be spent optimising this airfame to look fully operational. On the day that a great many Harrier engines were auctioned for scrap at Hixon.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Superb! Please extend congratulations to all involved for all the hard work.

So now there are three harriers based at Cosford then?

Its great to see the passion put into the airshow with such detailed preparations even at this early stage. :clap:

D200

Post by D200 »

The RAFM has Kestrel and a GR9.
RAF Cosford have a GR3, GR9, two Harrier hides and a Reconnaissance Intelligence Centre.
...... and I am not done yet!

The display already caters for the Falklands War, the Cold War, and Afghanistan. I wish there was a Mig 15 on the UK display circuit for then with the RNHF Sea Fury, we could cover the Korean War. Cosford Club tickets go on sale this friday - it was a sell out in 2013, and will again be sponsored by Nikon in 2014.

D200

Post by D200 »

Sea Harrier FA2 at RAF Cosford being prepared for static display in a months time ~ 8th June 14

Timc

Post by Timc »

Fabulous! Looking forward to seeing the Sea Harrier Chas.

As this is such a great catch is RAFM considering exhibiting this in the museum beit for a very short time?

Cheers
Tim

D200

Post by D200 »

I had offered the RAFM loan of the GR3 to augment the reintroduction to the public of the newly restored Kestrel, and my offer was not taken up. It is 50 years since the first flight of Kestrel which is why there is a Harrier theme running through the RAF Cosford Air Show this year. Sadly no flyers, although believe me; we tried. I believe that Kestrel is coming out to join GR3 / FA2 / GR9 which will make a good line up, even better if the RAFM GR9 can join the line. This will be a unique occasion for I doubt the opportunity to review the marque in such a line-up will be repeated. I am not sure when the FA2 is scheduled to return to the Navy but the GR9 is unlikely to remain at Cosford after the air show and instead return to HMS Sultan. We will endevour to park the aircraft in such a way as a line up of noses and/or tails frquents many an enthusiasts view-finder this year.

The Harrier Special Interest Group (modellers) are putting on a display to compliment the theme and a cockpit section on a trailer is probable. In summary, with the limitations against us, we have maximised the display potential. Inside the hide last year it (GR3) was very popular; it is only right that we change as much as we can. We now have enough support equipment to present the aircraft for whatever operational role we want to depict, with or without flight refuelling probes.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

D200 wrote:I had offered the RAFM loan of the GR3 to augment the reintroduction to the public of the newly restored Kestrel, and my offer was not taken up. It is 50 years since the first flight of Kestrel which is why there is a Harrier theme running through the RAF Cosford Air Show this year. Sadly no flyers, although believe me; we tried. I believe that Kestrel is coming out to join GR3 / FA2 / GR9 which will make a good line up, even better if the RAFM GR9 can join the line. This will be a unique occasion for I doubt the opportunity to review the marque in such a line-up will be repeated. I am not sure when the FA2 is scheduled to return to the Navy but the GR9 is unlikely to remain at Cosford after the air show and instead return to HMS Sultan. We will endevour to park the aircraft in such a way as a line up of noses and/or tails frquents many an enthusiasts view-finder this year.

One assumes that was the enthusiast item and as such there are no more additions to the flying programme?

Obviously we need some clarity, given the very public speculation in the last few weeks. Beginning to think it may not happen - whatever it is - and I think that has the potential to be disappointing to a number of people on here.

Regardless, not long to-go and I'm sure it will be a good show. However, "Best ever", as quoted from yourself, may be pushing it if the line-up is complete as it stands. Of course, I could be wrong - here's hoping I am!

Information is scarce and not having a weekly update means you get all the questions - not ideal, but I'm afraid you're our only port-of-call.

Thanks for keeping us updated. :up:

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Regarding your participation query, I direct you to the comment I made last week...
It would irresponsible for us to send out a press release for any display item until it's 100% watertight. I'm sure you'll understand when the news breaks, with an item of this significance we need to make sure all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed before we announce it. We're not 'holding back' confirmed participants as there is zero benefit for us to do that!

With a month to go, and the office getting very busy I think this year definitely has the potential to be the best ever. For starters, where else have you ever seen (or can you ever see again) a line-up of Harrier variants that we have planned?

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

Posts like this make me even more excited, I cannot wait :yahoo:
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

PeterR wrote:Regarding your participation query, I direct you to the comment I made last week...
It would irresponsible for us to send out a press release for any display item until it's 100% watertight. I'm sure you'll understand when the news breaks, with an item of this significance we need to make sure all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed before we announce it. We're not 'holding back' confirmed participants as there is zero benefit for us to do that!

With a month to go, and the office getting very busy I think this year definitely has the potential to be the best ever. For starters, where else have you ever seen (or can you ever see again) a line-up of Harrier variants that we have planned?

Point taken. The Harrier line-up will be good to see. Assuming you have more flying participants to announce, it will be cutting it very fine with now only 4 weeks left on the clock. Therefore, my question was more about the much rumoured 'enthusiast item', rather than the quality of the show as a whole - having purchased my ticket well in-advance I don't believe it will lack quality.

As for best ever, I distinctly remember the 2001 show like it was yesterday. Hunter duo, Sea Vixen, Belgian F16, Mirage 2000, Harrier, Nimrod etc.. I could go-on. Of course, as hardware expire we may never reach those heights again, but for me it was a show that will probably never be topped and I haven't even mentioned the year the French Jaguars appeared.

D200

Post by D200 »

I'll give you some English Jaguars, and the 'Saint' was taxiing today so fingers crossed it remains serviceable. Oh and also ..... No, sorry this thread is about Harriers not :ninja:

D200

Post by D200 »

I very much doubt that anyone will ever see a line up this this again as the only possible venue would be RNAS Yeovilton.

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

This looked stunning, thanks for putting her outside!

ImageKestrel 'Harrier' on display at Cosford Air Show 2014. by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr
6D | 7D | 60D

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

6D | 7D | 60D

Diablo_Rouge

Post by Diablo_Rouge »

What will be happening with the Harriers next year? Would like to see the hide being used as I missed it last time. The Navy taxied the Sea Harriers at their air shows and seeing a GR3/9 start up in a hide would be awesome.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Only thing that is confirmed at this early stage is that our Harrier GR3 will be on display. In what format, in which colours and where on the site is yet to be decided!

UKAviationOfficial

Post by UKAviationOfficial »

Would be great if we could see the Harrier line up again as we didn't get to Cosford this year and it would be nice to see it again next year! :smile:

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

UKAviationOfficial wrote:Would be great if we could see the Harrier line up again as we didn't get to Cosford this year and it would be nice to see it again next year! :smile:

The four-ship static line-up was unique for 2014, sorry! The Sea Harrier FA2 & Harrier GR9 are returning to their respective parent units and the Kestrel is back in her home at the RAF Museum. We aim to make the show different each year to add value to our returning customers, so 2015 will see different ground displays.

UKAviationOfficial

Post by UKAviationOfficial »

PeterR wrote:
UKAviationOfficial wrote:Would be great if we could see the Harrier line up again as we didn't get to Cosford this year and it would be nice to see it again next year! :smile:

The four-ship static line-up was unique for 2014, sorry! The Sea Harrier FA2 & Harrier GR9 are returning to their respective parent units and the Kestrel is back in her home at the RAF Museum. We aim to make the show different each year to add value to our returning customers, so 2015 will see different ground displays.

No worries! The TSR-2 should be good this year though, looking forward to it already... :smile: