Traffic

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
TAN

Traffic

Post by TAN »

Having never attended this show before,are the reports of traffic being a nightmare true?
How does the traffic compare to Waddington,etc?.
Is it a question of get there early,leave early/late?
Sorry for all the questions.

Tan.

not_the_dj

Re: Traffic

Post by not_the_dj »

No sure why this hasn't had a reply yet, so I'll have a go.

2013 was a nightmare for traffic, we queued on the M54 for hours, which with young kids in the car was indeed a nightmare. There was plenty of queue jumping going on and very little (or no) traffic management outside of the base. It was awful.

However last year was much better, a much more viable police presence on the roads and signage, and as this year is ticket only it should be smoother still (quicker to just check tickets rather than have to take payment). They learnt the lessons of 2013 where they were apparently turning away non ticket holders, I'm not sure how they physically managed that of if that was causing some of the problems, we just heard about it on the radio from the queue.

Still getting there early is certainly advisable.

As for leaving we always hang around for the traffic to clear, we see people rushing off early but there's a big finished hinted at this year so we'll be there late.

Staying put and having another look at the static displays is much nicer than being sat in a queue to get out.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I'm aiming to get there at least half an hour before the gates open, do you think traffic will be a problem then?
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

CJS

Post by CJS »

I think I might leave now :wave:
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

not_the_dj

Post by not_the_dj »

Wissam24 wrote:I'm aiming to get there at least half an hour before the gates open, do you think traffic will be a problem then?

I hope so, we're aiming for around then as well (we're coming from near Coventry).

We were a little bit latter in 2013 (some slight delays from the kids IIRC, endless "last minute wees") and we actually missed the first couple of items on the flying display. We were just at the entrance to the base when the Falcons did their drop.

Lucky the rest of the day made up for it, but it really was a nightmare journey.

As I said last year was much smoother and I suspect this year will be better again so I wouldn't be put off at all.

Slappywag

Post by Slappywag »

Arrive early and leave late. Been queuing over an hour before gates have opened before.

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarkL
UKAR Supporter

Post by MarkL »

Chris Strawson wrote:I think I might leave now :wave:

Good plan :smile:
HTAFC

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

If anything,there will still be people trying to pay on the gate slowing up the traffic ques although it's clearly advertised as ticket only.Especially if the sun is shining,which hopefully it will be.Like another poster has said arrive early,leave late.

Timc

Post by Timc »

There's already big yellow signs on all approaches to Cosford stating "Advanced Ticket Only Event" so if that message doesn't get through nothing will!

I'm sure there's contingency plans in place to avoid a slow down in traffic caused by these numptys.

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

2013 was definitely a nightmare, hit the back of the queue at 8am and 5 hours later had moved maybe 2 miles :sad: so last year I left an hour earlier, result was driving straight into the holding car park at just gone 7am so that is what I will be doing again this year.

G-AMPY

Post by G-AMPY »

Arrive early (7am) and leave late (7pm). Gives more chance to walk the grounded aircraft and avoids the traffic, foolish not to really. :whistle:

stevebrodie

Post by stevebrodie »

Andyperkins wrote:2013 was definitely a nightmare, hit the back of the queue at 8am and 5 hours later had moved maybe 2 miles :sad: so last year I left an hour earlier, result was driving straight into the holding car park at just gone 7am so that is what I will be doing again this year.

So silly Q where abouts is the holding carpark - flightline or up round the back , and if its a holding carpark - do you have to go back and move your car later ?
Viper: Good morning, gentlemen, the temperature is 110 degrees

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Does all traffic have to enter from the North side of the base ? The site layout on their website suggests an entrance on the South side, or is this only for leaving after the show has finished ?

Timc

Post by Timc »

Just to recap from our interview with the team regarding entering from the South West:

"In 2015, amongst other proposed new measures which are still being worked on, we are delaying aircraft arrivals in the morning by about 90 minutes, and trying to get as many aircraft as we can to arrive the day before. This means that the access route via the A41 and the A464 from Wolverhampton to the south west of the base (which brings cars across the runway) can stay open for an hour and a half longer. This will relieve pressure at some of the other gates." PR

Hope this helps!