Want do YOU want to see at RAF Cosford in 2017..?

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
8674planes

Re: Want do YOU want to see at RAF Cosford in 2017..?

Post by 8674planes »

Second shout for the North Weald Hawker Fury. Would fit in well with the other prototype aircraft at Cosford!
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Thinking about this one, I decided to have a look at what I wrote last year.

Already nominated above, but I'd love to see the Bronco demo team at Cosford, and can't disagree on the Alizé.

Thoroughly appreciated Rich Goodwin this year, it would to great to have him back, and how about the Red Bull Matadors or even Patrouille Reva to display something a little out of the ordinary among the civvie teams.

The Belgian Red Devils showed well at Cosford, so maybe the FAF could send Cartouche Doré..?

but all that aside, I'm sure a well rounded display from helicopter to reheat and all points in between will be as entertaining as ever. :cool:

Its still valid. Andy added Patrulla Aspa too, and I couldn't agree more.

Thinking further, I was thinking how long its been since I've seen any Hardwick warbirds, so I'd like to request their P-51 pair. Taking that further, how about a gathering of UK Mustangs? PT is a regular, Miss Velma is now at North Weald too, Miss Helen is back on the circuit, the shark mouth example is a recent attendee and I'm sure Frankie is bookable. And its not Duxford, so a Mustang Meet might just be possible? American heritage too in an anniversary year for them.

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

I'd go with the Mustang Meet, Cosford is just the right size for a good tailchase sequence too. Plenty of grass parking in front of the crowd so you could get some nice shots of them (without having to pay for a flightline walk too).

Or here's a crazy idea... Park the Mustangs on the grass alongside the taxiway at the 06 end? Nice, uncluttered background and you could watch them being started up and taxi out if you wished. I realise that would mean anyone driving in/off base via the A464 would pass them on the way in but that route is closed well before any flying takes place anyway. It would also remove some parking space but this lost space could found where the pleasure flights were operating from.

strangelookingalien

Post by strangelookingalien »

My first Cosford was 2014 - I attended because of a great classic jet line-up and enjoyed it a lot. Last year was good, but this year was disappointing.

It will be classic jets or modern jets that keep me coming to the airshow.

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

The Oil Spill Response C-130 Hercules would be a fantastic addition, being the oldest airworthy Herc!
Nikon D500

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Harvo266 wrote:The Oil Spill Response C-130 Hercules would be a fantastic addition, being the oldest airworthy Herc!

Believe that airframe has now deployed to Singapore on a long-term contract so might be a little pricey to get back to the UK.

Leebee0

Post by Leebee0 »

I have been attending the Cosford Airshow now every year since 1986 and over the years there have been some great shows. So I would like to point back to the 1999 show and hope that this years up and coming show can look something like this. I did film the whole event but I need to find it out of the archive and get it onto youtube. Peter it would be great if we could get these display teams again?

This is proof that the guys who work so hard on this show can pull big acts to RAF Cosford and will do again. Oh and yes they did all turn up although the French Air Force had to cut their display short but a light aircraft staying into the airspace!

Keep up the great work guys looking forward to seeing this years announcements into the new year.

Cheers

Lee

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

99 was good indeed, but the teams were there on the back of appearances at Woodford the day before. Different times in airshow terms. I can't disagree it would be great to have a line up something like that again. But then it would be great to be able to share with Woodford again :sad:

Ace Hardy artwork there too :biggrin:

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Just like RIAT, the artwork was half the reason I used to buy programmes.

'99 was a good year for airshows in general, I just hope Cosford can try and match the level of 2015 and the gods of weather, serviceability and luck all conspire to smile upon the show for a change.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

This is proof that the guys who work so hard on this show can pull big acts to RAF Cosford and will do again.

But it's not the same people and times have significantly changed. 99' was one of many great historical events for Cosford - I seem to remember the Frecce disappearing behind the treeline at one point :hide:. By far the best display was the German Tornado.

The reason it all came together was the Woodford show on the same weekend, if I remember?

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

-
Last edited by Spotty_Jag on Sat 21 Dec 2019, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

st24

Post by st24 »

Spotty_Jag wrote:It's more remarkable that a four hour flying display could be filled with only one civilian operated aircraft back then! :dizzy:

That, along with there being 10 RAF items is pretty telling of how time shave changed!

All the foreign participation had been at Woodford the day before, albeit the German Tonks were static (only one made Cosford presumably en route home) Woodford also had 4 French Tucanos + Dutch and Turkish F-16s.

Flare Path wrote: By far the best display was the German Tornado.

Really? I only recall a couple of flypasts?..
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

st24 wrote:That, along with there being 10 RAF items is pretty telling of how time shave changed!

Indeed, times have dramatically changed in the last two decades. Airshows of the 1990s are almost alien to the events we see today. An extract from my dissertation (A Critical Appraisal on the current state of the UK Airshow Industry) which I submitted back in April sums up the situation which event organisers now face in these modern times...

When looking at how aircraft participation has changed in the last decade, key differences can be noticed, which have widespread effects across the industry. A key area is the reduction of UK military aircraft which are actively available on the display circuit. In 2006 the UK military had more than nineteen aircraft types which appeared at the vast majority of air shows. The Royal Air Force alone fielded solo displays from three helicopter types (Chinook HC2, Merlin HC3 & Sea King HAR3), the majority of its training fleet (Tutor T1, Tucano T1 & Hawk T1), a selection of crowd pleasing fast jets (Harrier GR7, Tornado GR4 & Typhoon F2) plus Hercules Tac-Demo, RAF Falcons parachute display team and eternal favourites the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and Red Arrows display team. The Royal Navy and Army Air Corps also fielded their fair share of assets, both with helicopter display teams (Black Cats and Blue Eagles respectively) and their own historic aircraft flights too. Today, after a decade of military spending cuts and aircraft retirements the landscape is very different with less aircraft types on display, and less appearances from each team also. For comparison this year the RAF is fielding 5 display items; Typhoon FGR4, King Air T1, RAF Falcons, RAF BBMF & RAF Red Arrows. (Although the Chinook is active on the display circuit in 2016, it is now under the control of Joint Helicopter Command). Smaller venues which may have in the past been blessed with two or three military items are now perhaps only being allocated flypasts from one aircraft type, meaning they must dig deeper into their budgets for costly civilian aircraft to bulk out flying displays.

Cliffair

Post by Cliffair »

Just a thought but how about a wittmund scooter thats if the runway is long enough! On the rotary side the etps blue gazelle (gazelle at 50 this year) Belgian AF Sea King and an army and navy wildcat just my 10p worth

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Cliffair wrote:Just a thought but how about a wittmund scooter thats if the runway is long enough!

I think a boy on a scooter is far more likely! :grin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Laughing at your own jokes Mr C?

st24

Post by st24 »

borismorris wrote:Laughing at your own jokes Mr C?

Someone has to..... :tumbleweed:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Jonnym

Post by Jonnym »

I missed last years show but the most frustrating thing about the 2015 show was getting up at a god foresaken hour, being directed to the holding car park, then watching everyone arriving after us get marshalled in before us. I couldn't get a crowd line spot and therefore many photo opps were gone / difficult. Did this get sorted last year?

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Ive been in THAT car park the last 2 years and have been at the front.

How slow do you walk dude? ;-) :whistle:

Jonnym

Post by Jonnym »

We got told to move our cars onto the airfield so I didn't think it could just be left in that holding car park and we could walk straight through.

As for my walking speed? yeah, it's slow. :)

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Maybe I'm thinking of a different field then.

Either way, I hope you have a better time of it this year.

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

RAFAT and RAF Typhoon.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

TYPHOON3 wrote:RAFAT and RAF Typhoon.

:lmao:

Jessops had better stock up on binoculars and spotting 'scopes.

AngryAndyPandy

Post by AngryAndyPandy »

TYPHOON3 wrote:RAFAT and RAF Typhoon.

Ha... :facepalm:

Jay

Post by Jay »

Any type I haven't seen already. The Whirlwind fits that bill but the star attraction for me was the Skyraider and now that's not flying so the Whirlwind is going to be a very costly helicopter for me! A few flypasts from the Breitling Constellation would be nice, i have seen that before but only once and only had a crap camera then so would love to get some pics with my new camera, really I am only interested in vintage and rare types and that includes military and civilian aircraft, some vintage airliners would be great, DC-6 would be nice! the British antarctic survey Dash 7 would be awesome, or any other dash 7 that was available!