RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
PeterR

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Post by PeterR »

Elliott Marsh wrote:It was fine for a mil show, but points deducted for historical inaccuracy :whistle:

It's all about the spectacle Elliott. :handbag: I have already produced the draft script for the 2017 set-piece and it should be a fantastic sight...

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

[center]Participation Update 24/1/17[/center]
- Kennet Aviation's Douglas AD-4 Skyraider has been booked to perform a flying display at the show, as part of the Battlefield Support set piece.
- We can confirm that Gazelle Squadron will not be participating at the RAF Cosford Air Show 2017.

Cheers,
Peter :wave:
Operations Manager
RAF Cosford Air Show

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

PeterR wrote:- Kennet Aviation's Douglas AD-4 Skyraider has been booked to perform a flying display at the show, as part of the Battlefield Support set piece.

Top addition, I've never seen a Skyraider fly
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Fantastic addition with the Skyraider, I'm hoping it will operate from Cosford too.

Re: The Gazelle Squadron, are they just not participating yet or are you not looking to book them? A shame if they don't appear, they put on a pretty decent show in the appalling weather last year.

Timc

Post by Timc »

Very nice to have a Skyraider back, if memory serves 2007 was the last time I think?..... And it has to be said in some pretty dire weather!

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

-
Last edited by Spotty_Jag on Sat 21 Dec 2019, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Abingdon have 6 or 7 at the moment...

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

It's a good thing that they do, due to no fault of there own last year was a bit of a bore fest for Joe public, Lack of fast jets and a lot of cancellations of what they did have on the day due to the weather. You've got to keep the paying public happy and early additions do just that in my opinion. Setting up to be a different show to last year already. Looks to be a battlefield set piece with lots of aircraft involved in the battlefield support role that haven't been seen at Cosford in recent years. Bronco Team would be perfect. The German A-400 display is also a good shout obviously depending on allocations etc.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Timc wrote:Very nice to have a Skyraider back, if memory serves 2007 was the last time I think?..... And it has to be said in some pretty dire weather!

Mixed day that. Falcons dropped in blue sky, but the Skyraider had terrible conditions. 2007 was a fairly decent line up of warbirds, if memory serves me well.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Decent addition! Operating from Cosford?

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Wondered how long it'd be before you returned!

Adamwilliams132 wrote:It's a good thing that they do, due to no fault of there own last year was a bit of a bore fest for Joe public,

Would be interesting to see your proof of that.

Adamwilliams132 wrote:The German A-400 display is also a good shout obviously depending on allocations etc.

The what? Do you know something everyone else doesn't?

So far all I've seen regarding German A400Ms (note presentation) is that one will be on static display at a show in the States, and even then only because it'd be on the ground there that weekend anyway!

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

I may not be right on the A-400M display I'm sure I read something the other day that they are preparing a display to showcase there latest asset. I was using good translate to read it as my GCSE German was a while ago now.

As for saying it was a bore fest that is not my opinion there were several good acts for me last year. I am going on feedback from family members and friends. Also there were quite a few negative comments/tweets on there various social medias.

I will always have a special interest in the Cosford show as it's my local show and I visit the museum around twice a month. The team work hard and always produce a good show. I attend on average around 10 air shows a year so I always spend a little time with the family at Cosford enjoying the static and showground which is well worked within the space available.

If not a German A-400M then an Italian RSV C-27J Spartan display would be very suited to Cosford.
On another note I would like to see the Gnat display team there after they couldn't make it last year.

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

If I remember correctly, the Luftwaffe don't do air displays any more, they put on role demos at home bases.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Wes_Howes wrote:Re: The Gazelle Squadron, are they just not participating yet or are you not looking to book them?

As it says on the tin, they won't be participating at the show in 2017. Fear not, plenty of other potential rotary displays on the cards though!

Timc wrote:Very nice to have a Skyraider back, if memory serves 2007 was the last time I think?

Correct! Same airframe, but now in her new colour scheme.

Spotty_Jag wrote:I still can't understand why Cosford has 6 flying display aircraft already listed on their website, whereas no other big airshow has?

Adam has kinda got the idea on this point. We realised people were disappointed last year, so we're making a great effort to ensure the flying display meets people's expectations in 2017. Keeping aircraft we've booked a secret doesn't sell us any tickets does it? So that's why we're trying to announce at least one aircraft a week to keep the momentum going and build excitement, because this year's show is going to be ace!

Adamwilliams132 wrote:The German A-400 display is also a good shout obviously depending on allocations etc.

I haven't heard anything about a Luftwaffe A400M flying display, and it does seem unlikely.

Tommy wrote:Decent addition! Operating from Cosford?

That's the plan at the moment.

Adamwilliams132 wrote:An Italian RSV C-27J Spartan display would be very suited to Cosford.

That awesome display was top of my wishlist for the Italian Air Attaché, worry not!

Cheers,
Operations Manager
RAF Cosford Air Show

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

PeterR wrote:
Wes_Howes wrote:Re: The Gazelle Squadron, are they just not participating yet or are you not looking to book them?

As it says on the tin, they won't be participating at the show in 2017. Fear not, plenty of other potential rotary displays on the cards though!

Fair enough, are you angling for that Red Bull Sycamore? :heyhey:

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

If I recall, 2007 was a rather hazy day but nonetheless, I remember lots of streaming vapour from the Skyraider's rather energetic display.
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

st24

Post by st24 »

You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Thanks for posting Geoff! :worship: I was down in London for an important meeting in Main Building today so couldn't post the update directly onto here, but as you said we've got 'Big Bird KF' performing in the flying display.
It will be good to see in her own right, after a few years off the display circuit. But at RAF Cosford you'll have the added excitement of the An-2 playing the part of 'Red Air' in our Battlefield Support set-piece in the display.

Cheers,
Operations Manager
RAF Cosford Air Show

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Personally I'm quite chuffed to see the An2 added, hope the display is a well polished one! Out of interest will acts like the Huey and Skyraider be displaying as well as taking part in the battlefield support set piece, or only the latter?
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Well as far as I'm concerned there's a good few "different" & "interesting" fliers in the line up already this year.
Living up the road I was always likely to go but I will commit to buying my ticket tonight now.
Thanks for your efforts PeterR and Co.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

PeterR wrote:It will be good to see in her own right, after a few years off the display circuit. But at RAF Cosford you'll have the added excitement of the An-2 playing the part of 'Red Air' in our Battlefield Support set-piece in the display.

This is starting to sound pretty decent!

Keep 'em coming, mate! :up:

Cole

Post by Cole »

I smell an update :yahoo: :drool: :worship:
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

Cole

Post by Cole »

I Have a good sence of smell :lol:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/cosfordairshow/status/828936300136914944[/tweet]
Last edited by Cole on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

I like that the organisers have got the updates in nice and early, hopefully one or two European air arms add there support to the show in a couple of months and we'll be on for a great show!