RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Slappywag

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Post by Slappywag »

Xray833 wrote:Whilst I would agree with the remarks above re the need for maximum possible space at the crowd line, a grandstand does not necessarily need to be at crowd centre.

Nor, does it have to be right at the very front of the crowdline. Slightly set back allowing room for a few rows of Yams in front would make no discernible difference to the view, for both general public and the big-lens photo brigade.

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Indeed, I'm sure I remember a grandstand, set back from the crowd line, a few years back

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

I agree but at most venues e.g. Fairford, Yeovilton , Dunsfold , the area immediately in front of the grandstand is fenced off and you still need to pay for a ticket to access it. I would suggest if a grandstand was provided at or near the end of the runway the area immediately in front should be accessible by all with only the grandstand users paying for the privilege of raised seating. I`m not sure if this would be attractive to the organisers at Cosford but if suitably sited it might also provide additional capacity and revenue.

Timc

Post by Timc »

Going slightly off-topic but Grandstands are nothing new to Cosford, although I'm not too certain they have actually been erected for the Air Show itself?

Here's a photo taken in the late '80's, I suspect it was some kind of Tri-Service recruitment event?

Other photos I have show a RN stand with quite a large 60ft model of HMS Broadsword along with other shots of Tornado F3 and Sea Harrier displaying! :smile:

Imageuntitled-037 by Tim Croton, on Flickr

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

A good start! The Whirlwind has been on my "must see" list since it first flew and is a great catch. It isn't enough to get me to book hotels and all that jazz just yet, but it's tipping the scales a little...

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Elliott Marsh wrote:A good start! The Whirlwind has been on my "must see" list since it first flew and is a great catch. It isn't enough to get me to book hotels and all that jazz just yet, but it's tipping the scales a little...

The Whirlwind is such a charismatic type. It probably won't do a hugely exciting display but well worth making the effort for, just to see and hear it.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

The Baron wrote:
Elliott Marsh wrote:A good start! The Whirlwind has been on my "must see" list since it first flew and is a great catch. It isn't enough to get me to book hotels and all that jazz just yet, but it's tipping the scales a little...

The Whirlwind is such a charismatic type. It probably won't do a hugely exciting display but well worth making the effort for, just to see and hear it.

Indeed; that's the draw - "Where else?"

Though, that question applies to just seeing a yellow RAF SAR helicopter these days... :sad:

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

[center]Participation Update 29/11/16[/center]
- Rich Goodwin will be performing in the Flying Display with his amazing 'Muscle Biplane'!

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/rafcosfordairshowofficial/photos/pb.403139459698876.-2207520000.1480418459./1368392629840216/?type=3&theater[/fb-post]

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

PeterR wrote:[center]Participation Update 29/11/16[/center]
- Rich Goodwin will be performing in the Flying Display with his amazing 'Muscle Biplane'!

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/rafcosfordairshowofficial/photos/pb.403139459698876.-2207520000.1480418459./1368392629840216/?type=3&theater[/fb-post]

The "six hour display with no filler" pledge lasted a long time then? :lol: :tongue: :wink:

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

Can we have the same commentator for Rich Goodwin who was at the 2015 show ?
Absolutely brilliant!

Dan, have you seen Rich`s display ? I suspect you have not as from take off to landing it is spectacular.
It most definitely is not filler.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Xray833 wrote: Dan, have you seen Rich`s display ? I suspect you have not as from take off to landing it is spectacular.

I'm sure he has seen the display and was only bating. :biggrin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

st24

Post by st24 »

capercaillie wrote:
Xray833 wrote: Dan, have you seen Rich`s display ? I suspect you have not as from take off to landing it is spectacular.

I'm sure he has seen the display and was only bating. :biggrin:

Some say Dan is a master bater.... :kiss:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

I am genuinely excited at the prospect of seeing Rich Goodwin display in 2017 at Cosford. To describe it as an aerobatic display doesn't seem adequate really. I'd describe it as bonkers. You know its going to be a good display within 5 seconds of take off.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

To be honest I'm with Dan O on this, to me it's just a filler or a toilet break act. He might fly the plane well but it's not for me. I do understand though that for many it's a crowd pleasing act.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
PeterR wrote:[center]Participation Update 29/11/16[/center]

The "six hour display with no filler" pledge lasted a long time then? :lol: :tongue: :wink:

If his display (and the commentary) is as superb as the 2015 display at Cosford this isn't any filler Act, one of the best civilian acts in the Country by a country mile.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:The "six hour display with no filler" pledge lasted a long time then? :lol: :tongue: :wink:

Depends on your definition of a filler item I suppose? :handbag:

Timc

Post by Timc »

PeterR wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:The "six hour display with no filler" pledge lasted a long time then? :lol: :tongue: :wink:

Depends on your definition of a filler item I suppose? :handbag:

It could be argued that the 'Reds' are a bit of a filler act amongst some enthusiasts! Just where do you draw the line?!

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

The flying display at Cosford will always contain so called 'fillers' due to the size of the runway/airfield.Not too many though for 2017.Hopefully better luck this time with the International participants who don't mind operating out of Shawbury.

Timc

Post by Timc »

TYPHOON3 wrote:Hopefully better luck this time with the International participants who don't mind operating out of Shawbury.

I'm sure they don't mind operating out of Shawbury, ask yourself the question. Do Shawbury really want them?

ATC giving up there valuable family time over a weekend in the summer when they've had their fill of 'Griffons' and 'Squirrels' all year round? Who can blame them!? :grin:

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

I was thinking the other day (as one does) about the older airshow aerobatic acts - Brian Lecomber, Denny Dobson, Will Curtiss et al. They were prolific at their peak, displaying at village fetes and international airshows alike. Rich Goodwin has very quickly asserted himself into that "top tier" band of sought after aerobatic acts. I remember seeing him for the first time at VL 2014 (I think?), before he started appearing more widely. A tremendous talent.

As an aside, the discussion above has reminded me that I've never quite forgiven DanO for calling Shuttleworth's Gladiator 'Legends "filler"! :shock: :handbag: One man's filler is another man's prime fillet steak.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

First time for me was Dawlish 2014. My mate and I were rather disinterested in it on the list to say the least. Went home raving about his display more than any other.

"The plane is now a helicopter."
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

TYPHOON3 wrote:The flying display at Cosford will always contain so called 'fillers' due to the size of the runway/airfield.

Are you suggesting that anything that isn't a fast-jet is a 'filler' item? If so, what would you class a warbird as?

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Elliott Marsh wrote:
As an aside, the discussion above has reminded me that I've never quite forgiven DanO for calling Shuttleworth's Gladiator 'Legends "filler"! :shock: :handbag: One man's filler is another man's prime fillet steak.

Did I?

I think that might have been when it was used as the Joker a couple of years ago. "Filler" in that it was filling time before the Balbo... :lol:

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
Elliott Marsh wrote:

Did I?

I think that might have been when it was used as the Joker a couple of years ago. "Filler" in that it was filling time before the Balbo... :lol:

Well I won't be trawling back to look (it was TFC's Gladiator btw */aviation pedant*) but I remember being mildly offended that The Most Beautiful Silver Biplane In The World ® seemingly had its good name tarnished (apologies to fans of spindly Hawker biplanes :wink: )! It could be worse. You could've dissed the Tucano. :ghost: