RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
borismorris

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Post by borismorris »

Hampshire Aviation wrote:Which is exactly what you said for the last however many announcements, all of which have things that haven't been at Cosford "year in, year out".

I think RIAT 2015 was the last appearance for a Puma on static display? Apaches on static display not all that common any more either.

I have to wonder if Peter and the team were to have booked the Sea Vixen, MiG-15, Gnat team, two JPs and a Strike Master and not bothered with any current mil, if you would be bemoaning the lack of British military participation?

For the show, which is - as members of this forum keep mentioning - a recruitment tool for the RAF (and other forces), then surely having as many RAF (and other forces) assets present as possible is what Peter and the team should be aiming for? Not "join the RAF, you might get to fly...a MiG-15!?"

Thumbs up from me. I get that folk want jets at Cosford. Really, I do.. so do we really need the almost weekly "I was hoping for a jet". There will be something announced in the coming weeks I'm sure. Keep the faith.

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

It's hard to keep the faith when the RAF's only airshow announces a glider as a participant yet there's only one fast jet there, if it's a recruitment show I'm sure more people will be inspired to join up from a noisy fast display rather than a glider which is Just a filler item.

Adamwilliams132

Hampshire Aviation wrote:
For the show, which is - as members of this forum keep mentioning - a recruitment tool for the RAF (and other forces), then surely having as many RAF (and other forces) assets present as possible is what Peter and the team should be aiming for? Not "join the RAF, you might get to fly...a MiG-15!?"

If that's your thinking shouldn't it be current RAF types only ?
It's not advertised as Cosford recruitment fair it's Cosford Air Show.

speedshrew

Post by speedshrew »

I am, as people on this forum will know a newbie to airshows. It's lineups that we have for this one that has persuaded me to come down. I know of at least three other people that have booked tickets because they are aircraft and displays that most people will, at least in passing, or on the street, have heard of. While not knocking those that want fast jets, I seem to remember something about it being a family airshow, and as others have alluded to, a recruitment event for the RAF. Not "let's assemble our dream enthusiast line up". There is obviously a set budget for these things, and to be honest I had to Google Sea Vixens etc as they were being brought up. Enthusiasts make up a small proportion of the crowd compared to the families and casual fans, so they need to bring in the crowd pullers. I wonder if you leave off the Reds, BBMF, and possibly the Apache and Chinook displays how many casual fans would have booked those not been on the display list?
Just my two pence worth and obviously tell me I am wrong as necessary, but I feel sorry for Peter and his team knowing they have done all this hard work only for a small minority to complain. If you don't like the lineup, don't come! We won't miss you, and it will be a cracking day on the 11th June!
Tally Bally Ho!

J.C Photography

Post by J.C Photography »

I'm probably going to ditch Cosford for Weston now given that they both have similar line-ups and Cosford is going to cost me 4x as much as Weston will. The only disadvantage of Weston is that the display line is a little distant.

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

I have to agree with Hampshire Aviation, it almost seems to be every single week that no matter what Peter and the team announce, it isn't good enough for you. I am fully aware that everyone has their own favourites and preferences but just remember that today isn't the last announcement of the show. I can only imagine the disappointment and frustration Peter must feel when him and his team put in huge amounts of effort for people like you to want something else - he gives you black, you want white. Today IS NOT the last announcement, there's weeks to go, so stop moaning every week when it's not exactly what aircraft you want.
Rant over....
Nikon D500

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

There's 5 more weeks of announcements to come: If you like international military aircraft, there's stuff you'll be pleased about. If you like classic jets, there's stuff you'll be pleased about. If you like display teams, there's stuff you'll be pleased about. If you like large aircraft, there's stuff you'll be pleased about. If you like helicopters, well you should already be pleased with what you've already got!

Adamwilliams132

PeterR wrote:There's 5 more weeks of announcements to come: If you like international military aircraft, there's stuff you'll be pleased about. If you like classic jets, there's stuff you'll be pleased about. If you like display teams, there's stuff you'll be pleased about. If you like large aircraft, there's stuff you'll be pleased about. If you like helicopters, well you should already be pleased with what you've already got!

I'm not knocking you and the team Peter as I'm sure you work hard and would love to have a massive list of available airframes.

I did say that the puma on static was a highlight for me, yes I like Jets more than warbirds but that's preference,
I have nothing to back this up but I feel as though Cosford is let down by the RAF top brass. I'm sure on the 11th of June there's at least one serviceable airframe of most types the RAF has in service in the U.K. So why aren't they down for flypasts and static ?

Best item booked in my humble opinion is Rich Goodwin and his Pitts special.

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

Adamwilliams132 wrote:I'm sure on the 11th of June there's at least one serviceable airframe of most types the RAF has in service in the U.K. So why aren't they down for flypasts and static ?

I'm sure we've covered this in one of the RIAT threads??! :wall:
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Adamwilliams132 wrote:I'm not knocking you and the team Peter as I'm sure you work hard and would love to have a massive list of available airframes.

I did say that the puma on static was a highlight for me, yes I like Jets more than warbirds but that's preference,
I have nothing to back this up but I feel as though Cosford is let down by the RAF top brass. I'm sure on the 11th of June there's at least one serviceable airframe of most types the RAF has in service in the U.K. So why aren't they down for flypasts and static ?

Your posts continue to get more bizarre by the hour - incredible.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Adamwilliams132 wrote:
PeterR wrote: I'm sure on the 11th of June there's at least one serviceable airframe of most types the RAF has in service in the U.K. So why aren't they down for flypasts and static ?

You need to go to Buckingham Palace in June not Cosford. :up:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

speedshrew

Post by speedshrew »

Ian G wrote:
Adamwilliams132 wrote:I'm sure on the 11th of June there's at least one serviceable airframe of most types the RAF has in service in the U.K. So why aren't they down for flypasts and static ?

Anyone got a brick wall? Or a roundabout? Feels like we are flying in circles here?
Quester for Peter-are there slots per aircraft or does each one get a different amount of time in the air? Curious as to how these things work
Ian

Adamwilliams132

PeterR wrote:There's 5 more weeks of announcements to come: If you like international military aircraft, there's stuff you'll be pleased about. If you like classic jets, there's stuff you'll be pleased about. If you like display teams, there's stuff you'll be pleased about. If you like large aircraft, there's stuff you'll be pleased about. If you like helicopters, well you should already be pleased with what you've already got!

I'm not knocking you and the team Peter as I'm sure you work hard and would love to have a massive list of available airframes.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

There's an echo in here...

speedshrew

Post by speedshrew »

Flare Path wrote:There's an echo in here...

Is it a dolphin? :P

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

speedshrew wrote:

I think he did that post on porpoise
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

speedshrew

Post by speedshrew »

Ian G wrote:
speedshrew wrote:

I think he did that post on porpoise

That's shellfish of him! :P

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

You guys look like you're having a whale of a time.

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

I think you're all just fishing for comments now...

Anyway, back to the airshow, tidy update and will be great to see a Puma make an all too rare static appearance.
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

Lucasjmet15

Post by Lucasjmet15 »

Nice update today, thanks for the response Peter !
The list of participants looks great so far (IMO) and I'm sure there are a few surprises to come in the next couple of weeks ! :up:

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Ian G wrote:

Because nobody knows which, if any, airframes will be available until nearer the time. It's something called operational commitments. Ever heard of that? Said operational commitments can change at any time too, so just because there was (say) a C-130 available to Cosford on Saturday, by Sunday it might need to be retasked. I'm reminded of the German tanker at RIAT several years ago that turned up pre show then got recalled.

Please, please, please, give it a break. Let Peter continue doing what he does so much better than you. Organising an airshow.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

PeterR wrote:There's 5 more weeks of announcements to come: If you like international military aircraft, there's stuff you'll be pleased about.

The thing is Peter, while there may be stuff that you know about because you're negotiating participation, as of this moment international military participation is limited (especially considering the theme of 'International Cooperation). At the moment the only international military participation is a static NH90 (the excellent PC-7 team I'd say are a display team).

You've been hinting and teasing for months now about "promising negotiations", fast jets needing to use Shawbury, and the official page suggested " at least two jets" - however at this moment there is nothing to suggest to us that this will come to fruition, this is what has stopped me from buying a ticket yet, and has led to at least one person I know to cut their losses and look elsewhere (Biggin Hill). No we don't know what's happening behind the scenes but I'd suggest that as well meaning as it is, your 'hyping up' of updates and negotiations have made me cynical and question them in a sort of boy-who-cried-wolf scenario. If you prove me wrong and pull in some international stuff now as you get a clearer picture of what you've been allocated, great, you'll get my money :up:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

G for George

Post by G for George »

I think this year's lineup is looking very promising, with a few weeks still to go. I remember years gone by when we had in this country a much larger air force, with many more different types than can be called upon today. Since RAF aircraft numbers and types have dwindled over the years, organisers have obviously had to look elsewhere, and consequently we have seen a different type of airshow emerge. I personally have enjoyed seeing a variety of items, recent highlights being the Canberra and oil spill response (was it a 727?). But the thing is, Cosford has been like this for a good few years now. Line ups like a couple of years back, with the Hornet, Fighting Falcon (and the cancelled RD and MiG) should be viewed as a welcome exception to the rule, surely all the organisers can do is invite different air arms, and await their response? If invitations are turned down, I don't see what more the organisers can do. All I've got to do this year is make sure I avoid the dreaded car park number 7, plonk my bum in a deckchair, and enjoy.

speedshrew

Post by speedshrew »

Pringles wrote:
PeterR wrote:There's 5 more weeks of announcements to come: If you like international military aircraft, there's stuff you'll be pleased about.

The thing is Peter, while there may be stuff that you know about because you're negotiating participation, as of this moment international military participation is limited (especially considering the theme of 'International Cooperation). At the moment the only international military participation is a static NH90 (the excellent PC-7 team I'd say are a display team).

You've been hinting and teasing for months now about "promising negotiations", fast jets needing to use Shawbury, and the official page suggested " at least two jets" - however at this moment there is nothing to suggest to us that this will come to fruition, this is what has stopped me from buying a ticket yet, and has led to at least one person I know to cut their losses and look elsewhere (Biggin Hill). No we don't know what's happening behind the scenes but I'd suggest that as well meaning as it is, your 'hyping up' of updates and negotiations have made me cynical and question them in a sort of boy-who-cried-wolf scenario. If you prove me wrong and pull in some international stuff now as you get a clearer picture of what you've been allocated, great, you'll get my money :up:

What was Peter supposed to do other than hype it up? Playing it down is hardly going to shift tickets, attract trade stands, maybe even swing it one way or the other as to whether a foreign air arm decides to send something?

J.C Photography

Post by J.C Photography »

speedshrew wrote:
Pringles wrote:

What was Peter supposed to do other than hype it up? Playing it down is hardly going to shift tickets, attract trade stands, maybe even swing it one way or the other as to whether a foreign air arm decides to send something?

I think what he's saying is that hype can lead to false hopes and disappointment with some people. As much as it breaks the 4th wall between the organisers and the public, is it not better to keep quiet on possible participation until it's 100% confirmed​?