RAF Cosford Air Show 2018 - [Main Topic]

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2018 - [Main Topic]

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

I'm loving the Red Pelicans schemed JP. Proper airshow heritage there. It would look nice next to the Yellowjacks Gnat, if it were to join the static display, hint hint. :smile:

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

borismorris wrote:Not many shows I can think of had the Swiss Pilatus display team last year. Nor the B1. I've never seen Sally B play chicken with a B-52 before and the Italian Tornado was many folks star of the show not the Typhoon.

It's easy to slate Cosford, I just don't know why anybody would feel it necessary.

I've stated the reasons. Its still a show top heavy with filler, despite the odd gem, the gems should represent much greater weight.

FB

PS Have a look at Leuchars 2000 in the Golden Oldies section, apart from the pics, there is a description of the flying content on that day on 16 September 2000, That is what the RAF Centenary airshow should look like, not pointing out that there might be a single Tornado and perhaps a B-52 whistling past with Sally B.
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Finningley Boy wrote:PS Have a look at Leuchars 2000 in the Golden Oldies section, apart from the pics, there is a description of the flying content on that day on 16 September 2000, That is what the RAF Centenary airshow should look like, not pointing out that there might be a single Tornado and perhaps a B-52 whistling past with Sally B.

As others have pointed out though FB, and we do appear to be going round in circles here, the RAF centenary show is going to be at FAIRFORD, so who says it won't look like this though, or theoretically be substantially bigger than any Leuchars event.

Abingdon in 1968 didn't feature anything other than RAF types including a stack of museum pieces, OK the 24 Lightnings and 24 Victors/Vulcans will be harder to replicate but who knows at this stage what flypasts may be planned.

Cosford is part of the celebrations but not the main event. If Cosford manage to put on as best an event as it can manage considering the restraints of the airfield and demonstrate a good history of the RAF with support from appropriate overseas nations, what is the problem? :dunno:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

st24 wrote:Whilst on the subject of JPs and derivatives - whatever happened to this camo Strikemaster from last year?? :dunno:

I believe it's still sat in NWMAS's hangar at Chester, the paperwork with the CAA took them a lot longer than expected. I'd expect to see it out and about this year, but I guess Mark will confirm on his social media. @StrikeDisplayUK

RS2

Post by RS2 »

This is not a criticism, just an enquiry, but as the website states - "RAF100 will be the sole theme for the flying display at the RAF Cosford Air Show 2018. With 100 years of history to cover, the programme will include a huge number of historic Royal Air Force aircraft. The flying display programme will be flown in chronological order immersing our visitors in the RAF100 story and showcasing how aircraft and air power has developed during the last 100 years." where does a Strikemaster and Battlefield Support Theme fit ?

Edit - I shall leave my original post (above) so that the following reply makes sense, but dunces hat on for me as I can now see that the post was simply referring to the aircraft and it wasn't anything to do with this years show.
Last edited by RS2 on Fri 12 Jan 2018, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

RS2 wrote: where does a Strikemaster and Battlefield Support Theme fit ?

Last year? :whistle:

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

capercaillie wrote:
Finningley Boy wrote:PS Have a look at Leuchars 2000 in the Golden Oldies section, apart from the pics, there is a description of the flying content on that day on 16 September 2000, That is what the RAF Centenary airshow should look like, not pointing out that there might be a single Tornado and perhaps a B-52 whistling past with Sally B.

As others have pointed out though FB, and we do appear to be going round in circles here, the RAF centenary show is going to be at FAIRFORD, so who says it won't look like this though, or theoretically be substantially bigger than any Leuchars event.

Abingdon in 1968 didn't feature anything other than RAF types including a stack of museum pieces, OK the 24 Lightnings and 24 Victors/Vulcans will be harder to replicate but who knows at this stage what flypasts may be planned.

Cosford is part of the celebrations but not the main event. If Cosford manage to put on as best an event as it can manage considering the restraints of the airfield and demonstrate a good history of the RAF with support from appropriate overseas nations, what is the problem? :dunno:

Ok Caipers,

If RIAT is now the principal RAF public event, then fair enough, it never used to be, however, much the RAF were central to it. I imagined that Cosford being the sole RAF sponsored event, it was the service focus as unlikely as that could possibly promise to be given the size of the airfield and lack of space for anything should it manage to fly in. I'm not against the Cosford airshow per sey, whatever it may seem like. But other than RIAT, still a civilian/service charities event, the RAF perhaps should have a Leuchars or Waddington size and format of event? Abingdon in 1968, although the official RAF event for that year was outshone in terms of overall participation at the various other RAF events that year, culminating in the eight stations open in September, all on the 14th. It wasn't the resources available at the time that made the difference but the level of effort overall. Admittedly, times have changed, over the last five years alone!

FB

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Great War Display Team confirmed

[tweet]https://twitter.com/cosfordairshow/status/951871807161880576[/tweet]

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

From what I've read so far, and seen in how the aircraft attending each show is likely to shape up I think the following will happen: RIAT will be the focal point for the world's air forces to send their aircraft to join the celebration, with the airpower conference and centenary parade in the week of the show meaning lots of VIP attendees. However Cosford looks to be focusing on the history of the RAF with their static line-up and chronological flying display with lots of warbirds. But as capercaillie said, hopefully still an assortment of international participants who have close links with the RAF - link Battle of Britain contributors - at Cosford too. Cosford is still the RAF's show, even if RIAT is taking the lead for international celebrations. Two very different events, both of which could be excellent, given the right support from the RAF with actual aeroplanes!

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Spotty_Jag wrote:From what I've read so far, and seen in how the aircraft attending each show is likely to shape up I think the following will happen: RIAT will be the focal point for the world's air forces to send their aircraft to join the celebration, with the airpower conference and centenary parade in the week of the show meaning lots of VIP attendees. However Cosford looks to be focusing on the history of the RAF with their static line-up and chronological flying display with lots of warbirds. But as capercaillie said, hopefully still an assortment of international participants who have close links with the RAF - link Battle of Britain contributors - at Cosford too. Cosford is still the RAF's show, even if RIAT is taking the lead for international celebrations. Two very different events, both of which could be excellent, given the right support from the RAF with actual aeroplanes!

Don't think you will be far away with a lot of this.It's still early days for most of the International teams to announce their schedules.Hopefully we will get a decent flypast from the RAF but the rest will be from their usual display teams.Hopefully a Spitfire/Typhoon synchro again.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

What way does the seating work at Cosford Club? Is it assigned to you in advance, or on arrival? Or is it first come first serve?

Also, I noticed last year it was said about extra trains, and is on the website about them again this year. Right now the first train out of Birmingham International is 9am, do they tend to be earlier than that, and do they go from Birmingham International, or would I have to get down to New Street for one of the 'extra' trains they talk about on the website?

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

jasonT1981 wrote:What way does the seating work at Cosford Club? Is it assigned to you in advance, or on arrival? Or is it first come first serve?

Also, I noticed last year it was said about extra trains, and is on the website about them again this year. Right now the first train out of Birmingham International is 9am, do they tend to be earlier than that, and do they go from Birmingham International, or would I have to get down to New Street for one of the 'extra' trains they talk about on the website?

You’d probably have to change at Wolves
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Cole

Post by Cole »

Domvickery wrote:You’d probably have to change at Wolves

+1 :up:
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Don't all the specials for the Airshow start at New Street? I live in wolves and I've never got on a train thats started from Wolves.

JasonPC

Post by JasonPC »

jasonT1981 wrote:What way does the seating work at Cosford Club? Is it assigned to you in advance, or on arrival? Or is it first come first serve?

First come, first served. It’s a fenced off area with what are basically picnic tables and chairs. Plenty of room though but if you want a table at the front you need to not roll in at the last minute.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

thanks guys.

Looks like Lightning ZF580 from CAHC will be on static as part of a few QRA aircraft. Retweeted by Cosford airshow Twitter.

http://www.cornwallaviationhc.co.uk/cah ... show-2018/

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Cornwall_AHC/status/952857463434416133[/tweet]

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

jasonT1981 wrote:thanks guys.

Looks like Lightning ZF580 from CAHC will be on static as part of a few QRA aircraft.

http://www.cornwallaviationhc.co.uk/cah ... show-2018/

Hopefully, they'll give her a false serial and code to match up with a 74sqn machine as well, as ZF580 will look silly. :biggrin:

Berf

Post by Berf »

While of course I want a decent flying display my main interest is to see a number of aircraft outside that are not seen outside anymore in a variety of scenarios. So far this seems to be shaping up nicely. There seems to be great deal of effort going into this and that's where my problem lies. If it ******** down on the one day we get to see it, all that effort will be for very little. I am not asking for two days of flying but an extra afternoon or maybe evening to look and photograph these static displays. Nightshoots etc are now extremely popular - this could be one of the few opportunities ever to photograph some of these aircraft and people seem to be prepared to pay for the opportunity so why not satisfy the demand!

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Now to see if they can wheel the Vulcan, Victor and Valiant out of the museum for the weekend :D

(Yes, I know this is very, very unlikely)

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

RS2 wrote:This is not a criticism, just an enquiry, but as the website states - "RAF100 will be the sole theme for the flying display at the RAF Cosford Air Show 2018. With 100 years of history to cover, the programme will include a huge number of historic Royal Air Force aircraft. The flying display programme will be flown in chronological order immersing our visitors in the RAF100 story and showcasing how aircraft and air power has developed during the last 100 years." where does a Strikemaster and Battlefield Support Theme fit ?

Edit - I shall leave my original post (above) so that the following reply makes sense, but dunces hat on for me as I can now see that the post was simply referring to the aircraft and it wasn't anything to do with this years show.

More to the point what are they going to do to maintain continuity in the great 100 year old story once they reach the mid-1950s? :lol:

FB :biggrin:

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

What do you suggest they do FB? :roll:

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Finningley Boy wrote:More to the point what are they going to do to maintain continuity in the great 100 year old story once they reach the mid-1950s? :lol:

Off the top of my head...

Hunter
Jet Provost
Whirlwind
Heron

Maybe even get the Swift from Doncaster!

Next attempt at belittling the event...GO! ;)

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

cg_341 wrote:
Finningley Boy wrote:More to the point what are they going to do to maintain continuity in the great 100 year old story once they reach the mid-1950s? :lol:

Hunter
Jet Provost
Whirlwind
Heron

Black Mike, the CAHC Lightning, Hercules. Britannia, Comet, Red Arrows` Hawk T1s, plenty of Jaguars on site with Tornados, Pumas, Chinooks etc. etc.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

cg_341 wrote:

Hunter
Jet Provost
Whirlwind
Heron

Don't know where your going to find a flying Hunter? Apart from Holland or Sweden of course, mind you if the aim is just to parade all but the front line from there onwards then fair enough! You might have a Canberra who knows. Pity we're not Sweden, then we could have full representation of the frontline, seamlessly! :wink:

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Finningley Boy wrote:Don't know where your going to find a flying Hunter? Apart from Holland or Sweden of course, mind you if the aim is just to parade all but the front line from there onwards then fair enough! You might have a Canberra who knows. Pity we're not Sweden, then we could have full representation of the frontline, seamlessly! :wink:

G-FFOX?
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.