RAF Cosford Air Show 2018 - [Main Topic]

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Luke28

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2018 - [Main Topic]

Post by Luke28 »

I seem to bd forever repeating myself in this thread but excellent stuff again! :up:

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

I'm surprised there is no Sally B listing for Cosford this year, while I know the B17 was mainly USAF there were a good few RAF B17s during the war.

Cole

Post by Cole »

jasonT1981 wrote:I'm surprised there is no Sally B listing for Cosford this year, while I know the B17 was mainly USAF there were a good few RAF B17s during the war.

Hmm, i just thought B17+Lanc Syncro?
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

ColeTheDemolisher wrote:
jasonT1981 wrote:I'm surprised there is no Sally B listing for Cosford this year, while I know the B17 was mainly USAF there were a good few RAF B17s during the war.

You mean opposite end tail slides and mirror formations? :wink:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

capercaillie wrote:
ColeTheDemolisher wrote:

Why not throw the Blenheim and a B-25 in too
and do a Blades routine 1940s stylie

:wink: :tumbleweed:

Cole

Post by Cole »

borismorris wrote:
capercaillie wrote:
ColeTheDemolisher wrote:

Why not throw the Blenheim and a B-25 in too
and do a Blades routine 1940s stylie

:wink: :tumbleweed:

B-25 prophanging too ? :tongue: :wink: :tumbleweed:
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

For those who know more about photography than I do. I bought a Canon D700 with a 75-300mm Lens. Would the lens be good enough for photos at an airfield show like Cosford? Or would I be better bringing my other bridges with 90s & 50x zoom.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

jasonT1981 wrote:For those who know more about photography than I do. I bought a Canon D700 with a 75-300mm Lens. Would the lens be good enough for photos at an airfield show like Cosford? Or would I be better bringing my other bridges with 90s & 50x zoom.

From looking at my shots for last year's show, you really need something in the 300-600mm range on a crop sensor for aircraft, and maybe 200-400mm for helicopters.

lappup

Post by lappup »

jasonT1981 wrote:For those who know more about photography than I do. I bought a Canon D700 with a 75-300mm Lens. Would the lens be good enough for photos at an airfield show like Cosford? Or would I be better bringing my other bridges with 90s & 50x zoom.

That's the set up I've used for the last couple of years - suppose it depends on what you want :) some from last years show taken with the 700d here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskWVQCGj

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Thanks guys, I think I will bring the Bridge cameras as well. Use the 75-300mm for take off and landings etc.

2 weeks until my trip starts :D London first for the Queens flypast and up to Cosford. I actually think I am more excited this year for Cosford than I was for my first RIAT last summer lol

RAF Cosford Air Show

Post by RAF Cosford Air Show »

Still tickets left for the Saturday morning photocall. Visit https://threshold.aero/event/raf100-photocall to book. :up:

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Would have loved to do the photo-call but unfortunately to add an extra nights stay at my hotel would cost far too much to make it worth my while. If it happens next year (and there's plenty of notice) i'd definitely be up for it.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Tickets for the airshow now 90% sold. If you're thinking about it still its time to make your mind up!

st24

Post by st24 »

RAF Cosford Air Show wrote:Still tickets left for the Saturday morning photocall. Visit https://threshold.aero/event/raf100-photocall to book. :up:

That's a surprise... :whistle:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I genuinely am surprised. I really do think its a great opportunity and I only wish I had known about it earlier so that I could have arranged an overnight stay on the Friday!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

MiG_Eater wrote:I genuinely am surprised. I really do think its a great opportunity and I only wish I had known about it earlier so that I could have arranged an overnight stay on the Friday!

Had it been 8am to noon , it would have sold out easily, as it is I'm sure several giant larks have already purchased a ticket and perhaps Hank Marvin knowing the length of the Shadows during his career. How good it could have been, we'll never know, how good it will be, I'll wait to see some results of those who've doubled the ticket price for the dawn raid. :smile:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

zigzag

Post by zigzag »

RAF Cosford Air Show wrote:Still tickets left for the Saturday morning photocall. Visit https://threshold.aero/event/raf100-photocall to book. :up:

If this was unbundled from the requirement to have a show ticket it might have had a better response
If you like these pics there are more utterly brilliant shots at https://www.flickr.com/photos/131094099@N08/albums
#MOT

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Again, nice idea, and had this been last year when I was still working and not a filthy post-grad student, I would've likely plumped for it. Buuuut that kind of money makes a huge difference to me (I understand that, thankfully, many people are in financially better situations than I, and its more affordable), and as it's new and untried, I'd want to see how it goes first. I'd be a bit minced if I'd spent that money and woken up that early, through no fault of their own, all the aircraft covers were on, for instance.

Flip-side is that it's something people have been asking for for an age. If it flops because of lack of footfall, then future claims of "Cosford should do a Saturday photocall" will have less weight, because when they did try it, not as many people attended. So it is important to support stuff like this - I get that completely.

st24

Post by st24 »

Tommy wrote:Again, nice idea, and had this been last year when I was still working and not a filthy post-grad student, I would've likely plumped for it. Buuuut that kind of money makes a huge difference to me (I understand that, thankfully, many people are in financially better situations than I, and its more affordable), and as it's new and untried, I'd want to see how it goes first. I'd be a bit minced if I'd spent that money and woken up that early, through no fault of their own, all the aircraft covers were on, for instance.

Flip-side is that it's something people have been asking for for an age. If it flops because of lack of footfall, then future claims of "Cosford should do a Saturday photocall" will have less weight, because when they did try it, not as many people attended. So it is important to support stuff like this - I get that completely.

It's not just about the money. Time and again we've seen many fork out top dollar for very little, fair play - it's their money. I could afford it but I have a "value for money devil" on my shoulder that is not taken with paying a full days ticket price for two and a half hours of shooting things in the dark that may well still have covers on, be under a shelter or not even on view.
I get your last paragraph and welcome the effort being made but with all the will in the world can this be termed a "Saturday photocall"??
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

zigzag wrote:

If this was unbundled from the requirement to have a show ticket it might have had a better response

Or if it had been on the Saturday evening.

I was quite keen on attending this until I found out that it was at 5am! Had it been in the evening I would have stayed overnight in the area, and attended the show the next day.

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

davidjones533 wrote:But if it’s in the evening then you’ll still have all the cones, funfairs, toilets etc in the background. How’s that any different to the Sunday? The reason for having it in the morning is to capture them before all that turns up.

No people. Cones can be moved, or cloned out in Photoshop, I guess some airframes would be affected by the other things you mentioned, but we'll never know.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

st24 wrote:I get your last paragraph and welcome the effort being made but with all the will in the world can this be termed a "Saturday photocall"??

Yeah, fair comment, but currently, it's either that or nothing.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Another Spitfire on static, this one newly restored.

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/rafcosfordairshowofficial/photos/a.403200306359458.103082.403139459698876/1965345696811570/?type=3&theater[/fb-post]