Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2018 - [Main Topic]

Postby modellermark2 on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 7:42 am

danspuggti wrote:
RS2 wrote:
danspuggti wrote:
modellermark2 wrote:

Thanks for that ... it really does help i think as i was planning on coming up from the A454 towards Albrighton along Burnhill Green Road ... so looks like i will need to turn right at the end (A464) and then use Cross Road and Station Road to get to the A41 and into Cosford.
Thanks a lot - helps with forward planning :smile:

If you come up Burnhill Green Road to the A464 and turn LEFT towards Shifnal, after about a mile on your right there's a back entrance to the airfield used during show days (it's the one where when you're on the showground you can see cars coming over the runway to enter the field from) rather than going around to the main entrance :up:

This is the entrance I use every year as I cut across the lanes the back of Enville/Highgate Common/Halfpenny Green etc (and go up Burnhill Green Road myself) from Stourbridge :biggrin:

I dont know for this year but this back entrance is normally only open for a few hours until the runway becomes sterile. Few years ago friends were in the cue for it then it closed and they had to work their wsy around to join main entrances on other side of airfield. Great entrance whilst its open but you can get caught out !

I'm usually knocking on the gate waiting for it to open :lol:

It used to only be open until some of the display acts and GA aircraft started arriving (about 10am), but it seems to have open longer recently and they have been stopping the traffic crossing until aircraft have landed then starting to cross again once the runway is clear. Obviously once the flying display starts it closed off completely.
Whether it continues this way this year is anyone's guess.

Thanks all ... we will be on motorcycles so heading for the hard-standing so i am thinking we need to head for the main entrance for that? A bit easier on the bikes i hope :smile:
I use the same username on YouTube - do pay me a visit :-)
https://www.youtube.com/user/modellermark2
modellermark2

Postby G for George on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 8:36 am

Does anyone know if tickets need to be printed, or can they scan the barcode on a phone/tablet? I can't find the answer on either the airshow or seetickets websites.
G for George

Postby jamyt123 on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 8:50 am

G for George wrote:Does anyone know if tickets need to be printed, or can they scan the barcode on a phone/tablet? I can't find the answer on either the airshow or seetickets websites.

Hopefully they'll actually look at the tickets tomorrow as we drove in and parked up last year without once being asked to show them
jamyt123

Postby not_the_dj on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 9:50 am

G for George wrote:Does anyone know if tickets need to be printed, or can they scan the barcode on a phone/tablet? I can't find the answer on either the airshow or seetickets websites.

They can scan the barcode on your phone. No need to actually print them. That’s how we’ve done it in previous years.
not_the_dj

Postby G for George on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 10:07 am

not_the_dj wrote:

They can scan the barcode on your phone. No need to actually print them. That’s how we’ve done it in previous years.

Great thanks for that :up: We hadn't printed them and we're camping this weekend so won't get chance.
G for George

Postby danspuggti on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 10:53 am

modellermark2 wrote:
danspuggti wrote:
RS2 wrote:
danspuggti wrote:
modellermark2 wrote:

Thanks for that ... it really does help i think as i was planning on coming up from the A454 towards Albrighton along Burnhill Green Road ... so looks like i will need to turn right at the end (A464) and then use Cross Road and Station Road to get to the A41 and into Cosford.
Thanks a lot - helps with forward planning :smile:

If you come up Burnhill Green Road to the A464 and turn LEFT towards Shifnal, after about a mile on your right there's a back entrance to the airfield used during show days (it's the one where when you're on the showground you can see cars coming over the runway to enter the field from) rather than going around to the main entrance :up:

This is the entrance I use every year as I cut across the lanes the back of Enville/Highgate Common/Halfpenny Green etc (and go up Burnhill Green Road myself) from Stourbridge :biggrin:

I dont know for this year but this back entrance is normally only open for a few hours until the runway becomes sterile. Few years ago friends were in the cue for it then it closed and they had to work their wsy around to join main entrances on other side of airfield. Great entrance whilst its open but you can get caught out !

I'm usually knocking on the gate waiting for it to open :lol:

It used to only be open until some of the display acts and GA aircraft started arriving (about 10am), but it seems to have open longer recently and they have been stopping the traffic crossing until aircraft have landed then starting to cross again once the runway is clear. Obviously once the flying display starts it closed off completely.
Whether it continues this way this year is anyone's guess.

Thanks all ... we will be on motorcycles so heading for the hard-standing so i am thinking we need to head for the main entrance for that? A bit easier on the bikes i hope :smile:

Yes the main entrance will most likely be your best bet for hard standing parking. I don't think I've ever seen any coming in from the other side.
Same old sh*t.............just happening on a different day!!!
danspuggti

Postby Lucasjmet15 on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 12:33 pm

The flying bulls PC6 is staying for the static display ! :rock:
Lucasjmet15

Postby Adamwilliams132 on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 3:20 pm

Flying Bulls bf-105 display is the best helicopter display I’ve watched. To say they throw the thing around is an understatement.

Anyone got any news on the 757 or the French doing a practice today ?
Adamwilliams132

Postby Albion143 on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 3:26 pm

Adamwilliams132 wrote:Flying Bulls bf-105 display is the best helicopter display I’ve watched. To say they throw the thing around is an understatement.

Thrown about more than the German one at RIAT recently? If so I look forward to that tomorrow
Albion143

Postby Adamwilliams132 on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 3:46 pm

Albion143 wrote:
Adamwilliams132 wrote:Flying Bulls bf-105 display is the best helicopter display I’ve watched. To say they throw the thing around is an understatement.

Thrown about more than the German one at RIAT recently? If so I look forward to that tomorrow

Quite honestly yes most aerobatic display I’ve seen from a helicopter that I can remember.

If your at Cosford tomorrow take a ten mile or so detour and have a look at the real Albion (boing boing)
Adamwilliams132

Postby mindy_monster on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 4:03 pm

Saw the helicopter running it's display whilst on the train passing through to Telford. Amazed how the other passengers paid it so little attention. Definitely one to watch tomorrow.
mindy_monster

Postby Tommy on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 4:11 pm

Two displays from the NZ 757, I think practices for two separate crews.

The Bo105 was indeed better than the (very competent) German Army demos of recent RIATs
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Albion143 on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 4:15 pm

Adamwilliams132 wrote:
Albion143 wrote:

Quite honestly yes most aerobatic display I’ve seen from a helicopter that I can remember.

If your at Cosford tomorrow take a ten mile or so detour and have a look at the real Albion (boing boing)

Haha thanks for that I will look forward to seeing it tomorrow. I would go and have a look but they are a small league team now.
Albion143

Postby The Baron on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 4:40 pm

Anyone got any news on the 757 or the French doing a practice today ?

Something noisy has just been hooning about. I could hear it from Shifnal but not see it. Possibly the Rafale?
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
The Baron

Postby Luke28 on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 5:38 pm

The last pass and climb from the 757 is bloody superb! All 3 fast jets were excellent, The rafale hardly turned his burners off.

Roll on tomorrow!
Luke28

Postby st24 on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 6:15 pm

Albion143 wrote:

Its in another league, it is an unbelievable display.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby RinkyDinky on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 7:00 pm

Agree the Rafale was superb today as it always is and the display was every bit as good as it's display at RIAT 2017. Never fails to impress. In my opinion, Cosford's relative small airfield makes this display an even more exciting. :clap:
RinkyDinky

Postby CJS on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 7:02 pm

Have a great day tomorrow everyone :-)
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby B_Tank88 on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 7:12 pm

CJS wrote:Have a great day tomorrow everyone :-)

Thanks!

The weather is also forecasted as good! Very excited as my last few cosfords have been impacted by weather.
B_Tank88

Postby Andyperkins on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 9:12 pm

B_Tank88 wrote:
CJS wrote:Have a great day tomorrow everyone :-)

Thanks!

The weather is also forecasted as good! Very excited as my last few cosfords have been impacted by weather.

Certainly is looking good, very much regret not taking the chance now but oh well hope everyone that goes has a great time.
Andyperkins

Postby captainfurious on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 9:32 pm

First of four/five shows this year and second visit to Cosford. Very excited and weather looking good. Looking forward to hearing all that noise again and what could be a classic airshow season in modern terms. Enjoy to all attending!
captainfurious

Postby Albion143 on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 10:04 pm

Anyone know what time the flying is due to start tomorrow?
Albion143

Postby speedbird2639 on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 10:07 pm

Albion143 wrote:Anyone know what time the flying is due to start tomorrow?

11.30AM
speedbird2639

Postby Albion143 on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 10:08 pm

speedbird2639 wrote:
Albion143 wrote:Anyone know what time the flying is due to start tomorrow?

11.30AM

Cheers. Very much looking forward to it. Weather should be spot on!!!
Albion143

PreviousNext

Return to RAF Cosford Air Show