The Aviation Club

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Mars.za

The Aviation Club

Post by Mars.za »

Hello Everyone

This is my first post. I am planning on attending RIAT for the first time and I have a few questions regarding The Aviation Club that I was hoping you could assist me with....

1) What are the rules with regard to taking photographs of the flying display from the The Aviation Club ?
-I will be taking my DSLR and 500 mm lens along, but I don't want to upset anyone by taking photographs form somewhere I am not permitted do so.

2) If photography is allowed, what is the perspective like from the The Aviation Club, is it a good spot.

3) I see there is a dress code, is casual wear allowed (normal jeans, walking shoes, casual shirt and outdoor jacket)?

4) Cost aside what are the pro's & con's of The Aviation Club vs. Cotswald?

5) Are there any other considerations?

Gonzo230

Re: The Aviation Club

Post by Gonzo230 »

What does the dress code say? Or does it just say ‘dress code applies’?

CJS

Post by CJS »

http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/visiti ... ation-club

"No scruffy/torn jeans or sportswear are permitted within the Aviation Club"

To be perfectly honest, the food is going to have to be pretty special to make the extra £145 worth it I would think. Yep, that £145 in addition to your entrance ticket.

You decide - does this sound like it's worth £145 to you?

Access to 'fast track' VIP traffic route
On-airfield Guest Car Park
Private Marquee and toilets
Private grandstand and garden* (non-reserved seating)
Morning coffee with biscuits
Two-course buffet lunch
Afternoon tea with cakes and sandwiches
A lanyard pass
Complimentary Souvenir Programme

If you do, then fine, and I'm sure it would be a lovely treat. But a Mach3 pass (not that there are any available) is for the whole show week and only costs around £30 more once you've factored in the entrance price on top of the Aviation club ticket.

So, you're paying a lot for some food and a slightly closer carpark, that's all I'm saying,
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Mars.za wrote:1) What are the rules with regard to taking photographs of the flying display from the The Aviation Club ?
-I will be taking my DSLR and 500 mm lens along, but I don't want to upset anyone by taking photographs form somewhere I am not permitted do so.

2) If photography is allowed, what is the perspective like from the The Aviation Club, is it a good spot.

3) I see there is a dress code, is casual wear allowed (normal jeans, walking shoes, casual shirt and outdoor jacket)?

If you look at the slideshow of photos on the top of the RIAT page ( http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/visiting/airshow-tickets/aviation-club ) you may find that many of your questions are effectively answered, particularly 'dress code'
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

@playitcool - :lmao: - couldn't have put it better myself.

The photos on the RIAT site don't really sell it. Looks like a group of OAPs who have crammed their 30+BMI frame into their 30inch waist chinos/ red jeans that they bought from Cotton traders 20 years ago.

Can just imagine them glaring at people thinking "Just look at all these young people rushing about enjoying themselves. Can't tell if its a boy or a girl - GET YOUR HAIR CUT. A good spell of National service would soon smarten them up. I fought in the War - sorry I bothered if this is all the thanks I get. Latte? What the hell is a 'latte'? I just want a cup of coffee!" etc etc - "If 'One Foot In The Grave did airshows..."

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

speedbird2639 wrote:The photos on the RIAT site don't really sell it. Looks like a group of OAPs who have crammed their 30+BMI frame into their 30inch waist chinos/ red jeans that they bought from Cotton traders 20 years ago.

So no different from the majority of UKAR members, then...... :lol:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

BigBlackCat

Post by BigBlackCat »

You can take pictures in there-lots of people do. There's even a mini FRIAT like stand there for people to sit in and take photos which is elevated.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Brevet Cable wrote:
speedbird2639 wrote:The photos on the RIAT site don't really sell it. Looks like a group of OAPs who have crammed their 30+BMI frame into their 30inch waist chinos/ red jeans that they bought from Cotton traders 20 years ago.

So no different from the majority of UKAR members, then...... :lol:

Red jeans? RED JEANS? None of this coloured denim fopdoodling buzzwomblebing slubberdegullion attire. Decidedly uncouth; it's just not cricket and all that. Red jeans. I say. *swoons*