RIAT 2019

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby Tmyers123 on Tue 04 Dec 2018, 9:20 pm

sithrity wrote: The MV-22 was holding for its display on the Saturday this year, while the Reds were sitting on the runway waiting for their take off slot for Goodwood (I think?).
The MV-22 was dismissed!


The MV-22B is the USMC Osprey, you mean the CV-22B.
User avatar
Tmyers123

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby sithrity on Tue 04 Dec 2018, 9:38 pm

Tmyers123 wrote:
sithrity wrote: The MV-22 was holding for its display on the Saturday this year, while the Reds were sitting on the runway waiting for their take off slot for Goodwood (I think?).
The MV-22 was dismissed!


The MV-22B is the USMC Osprey, you mean the CV-22B.


Something like that, yes. :grin:
I don't know everything there is to know about our hobby.

Kids, aviation, missus then responsibilities, (in that order)
User avatar
sithrity

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby Hog on Wed 05 Dec 2018, 12:04 am

Maybe we will get to see a B-1 fly past this year if no other USAF displays are coming.
User avatar
Hog

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby speedbird2639 on Wed 05 Dec 2018, 7:30 am

Tmyers123 wrote:
sithrity wrote: The MV-22 was holding for its display on the Saturday this year, while the Reds were sitting on the runway waiting for their take off slot for Goodwood (I think?).
The MV-22 was dismissed!


The MV-22B is the USMC Osprey, you mean the CV-22B.


***Pedant klaxon***
User avatar
speedbird2639

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby capercaillie on Wed 05 Dec 2018, 11:09 am

speedbird2639 wrote:
Tmyers123 wrote:
sithrity wrote: The MV-22 was holding for its display on the Saturday this year, while the Reds were sitting on the runway waiting for their take off slot for Goodwood (I think?).
The MV-22 was dismissed!


The MV-22B is the USMC Osprey, you mean the CV-22B.


***Pedant klaxon***


On an aviation forum? :question:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
User avatar
capercaillie

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby edhunter on Wed 05 Dec 2018, 5:56 pm

What do think the chances are of the RAF working up a air display of the f-35 similar to the USAF f-35 demo team?
edhunter

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby Abbo46 on Wed 05 Dec 2018, 6:03 pm

For next year, slim to no chance.
User avatar
Abbo46

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby boff180 on Wed 05 Dec 2018, 6:27 pm

We might get a limited role demo either this year or next similar to the 2016 display.

I wouldn’t expect a full display until 207sqn make the move over from the US and firmly establish themselves at Marham.
User avatar
boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby edhunter on Wed 05 Dec 2018, 6:45 pm

I know this years theme is to do with space, but i also note it is the 70th anniversary of NATO is that not also part of this years show?
edhunter

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby Abbo46 on Wed 05 Dec 2018, 7:09 pm

Yes, it is. As advertised in the 2018 programme.
User avatar
Abbo46

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby Airshowhammer on Wed 05 Dec 2018, 7:32 pm

No surprise but no USMC Harrier.
Airshowhammer

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby skidd40 on Fri 07 Dec 2018, 9:00 am

PeterR wrote:
BossMann wrote:2019 will also be the 55th Anniversary of the Red Arrows

Since when has the "55th Anniversary" been a thing...? :dunno:


Oh about the same time promotional straw clutching started
User avatar
skidd40

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby Craig on Sat 08 Dec 2018, 1:48 pm

Well I've booked for next year as had a bit of a bonus from work so seemed a good use of it. A bit upset at having missed the Super Earlybird for Saturday already. I couldn't afford them before so it can't be helped but it does seem the number of tickets at the discount rate has been cut.

Also this is the first time in 5 RIAT visits I've not bothered with Friday. It was a tough decision as I've always really enjoyed it but I just couldn't talk myself into feeling the cost was justifiable. With all we're hearing at present being what's not going to be attending feeling a bit deflated at present and only really booked out of habit. Hopefully the magic will return as the day gets nearer or it may well be my last. It just feels a bit like paying more and getting less lately which is sad. The things that made RIAT special seem to be falling away a bit.
User avatar
Craig
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby speedbird2639 on Sat 08 Dec 2018, 4:35 pm

With all we're hearing at present being what's not going to be attending


I think this was always going to be a perception after the 'big push' for the 100th anniversary but I think we all need to stay calm until things actually start getting announced in 2019 rather than getting into a massive panic now.

That said I think I may hold off buying tickets until just before the show so I have the most information available to make my decision on including attendees and weather forecast. I can't remember the last time a Sunday sold out and I can blag the Monday off work so no issues there.
User avatar
speedbird2639

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby Finningley Boy on Mon 10 Dec 2018, 10:39 am

To those who think there'll be no RAF F-35 display next year, you're probably right, but that's because such things are terribly overstated and overdone now, display flying by individual RAF aircraft today is treated like a large scale operation. They don't just do such things anymore without a great deal of effort; risk assessment, training assessment, impact assessment etc. Then the whole thing, a single solo display, as treated like a star on tour. Merchandizing, referring to a solo display as a 'display team' no less! Glossy brochures, smiley Hollywood style profile photos of everyone involved all the way down the line to the team admin clerk with thumb nails on each about their favourite hobbies, interests and their 'partners'. So with that amount of effort required just for a solo demo of a single type now, I'm make no wonder the chances are remote.

FB
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!
Finningley Boy

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby MiG_Eater on Mon 10 Dec 2018, 11:04 am

You're absolutely right FB - and it's a shame really. The good old days of the RAF just trying to share a bit of what they do with a fly-past, or squadron display seem long gone in many ways - though the 617 flypast at RIAT and Duxford was a nice touch and I can only hope a sign of things to come.

By the way, the RIAT thread always goes through the same stages every year:

1) "So what do we think is coming next year?"
2) "Looks like nothing decent is announcing, it's so expensive, it's not as good as it used to be."
3) "These announcements are pretty thin... getting worried... not many (delete as appropriate) heavies/fighters/russian hardware/display teams"
4) "Wow, what an update! Really getting excited now!"
5) "Those cancellations have ruined the show, i'm putting my ticket on ebay!"
[The show happens]
6) "That airshow was great! But I can't help but feel next year will be a lot worse..."
[Start again]
MiG_Eater

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby phreakf4 on Mon 10 Dec 2018, 11:50 am

In reply to "Finningley Boy"...

[sarcasm] Yes, of course the pilot of the display aircraft is the only one who should receive any credit. All the mechanics, engineers, logistics personnel etc. are just plebs to be ignored! [/sarcasm]

It takes a lot of effort by a lot of people to enable any display, including (perhaps especially) a fast jet display so referring to the "team" seems entirely justified.

Otherwise we wind up with a situation similar to that often seen in popular music where the producer gets all the credit and the actual musicians are not even mentioned.

End of rant....
nothing is confirmed at a show until it's u/c hits the tarmac or it's running in for it's display.....
User avatar
phreakf4

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby Finningley Boy on Mon 10 Dec 2018, 3:47 pm

phreakf4 wrote:In reply to "Finningley Boy"...

[sarcasm] Yes, of course the pilot of the display aircraft is the only one who should receive any credit. All the mechanics, engineers, logistics personnel etc. are just plebs to be ignored! [/sarcasm]

It takes a lot of effort by a lot of people to enable any display, including (perhaps especially) a fast jet display so referring to the "team" seems entirely justified.

Otherwise we wind up with a situation similar to that often seen in popular music where the producer gets all the credit and the actual musicians are not even mentioned.

End of rant....

I was wondering who would be the first Socialist Revolutionary to stick up for 'the verkers' (strong Russian accent), team refers to the number of aircraft and pilots, that's what's being presented to the public, nice as it is to give everyone else a mention. The rationale of calling the entire ground line up 'the team' is over stated. Please don't tell me that the planes don't just service themselves. The point I'm making is this is a further step down the road toward nothing at all. The less there is, the greater the hype. Here's an analogy for you mister, I had a conversation with a chap some years ago about the dwindling number of Battle of Britain veterans, I said it will come to the point whereby if the last surviving individual who had anything to do with it happens to be some bloke who served behind the Bar in the Officers' Mess at Biggin Hill or wherever, there'll more fuss made over him than many of the aircrew, certainly those who perished during the Battle or afterwards during the war who went into history as no more than a statistic. You can mention those on 'the team' to be egalitarian all you like, an aerobatics team is two or more aircraft, that's what's advertised by the term team, because you're seeing a team in the air, not everybody else off camera.

FB

PS I don't get your point about the music industry and the producers. They may stuff their pockets out of the success of the star or stars being sold. But its always the performing artist who gets the public recognition because that, again, is what's being sold. Don't you think that old working class hero John Lennon, wouldn't have had a right old Wendy if his producer told him that on the album cover everyone down to the roadies and seamstresses would get equal recognition.
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!
Finningley Boy

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby Tmyers123 on Mon 10 Dec 2018, 4:18 pm

No one is being a “Socialist Revolutionary”, you’re just wrong. It is a display team precisely because it consists of the pilot, the engineers, logistics, public affairs etc.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the RAF’s inability to display aircraft, it’s a weird link to make.

Just like the F-35A Demo Team, Viper Demo Team, Chinook Display Team, Swiss Hornet Display Team... all single aircraft teams, but still teams nonetheless.
User avatar
Tmyers123

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby Finningley Boy on Mon 10 Dec 2018, 5:58 pm

Tmyers123 wrote:No one is being a “Socialist Revolutionary”, you’re just wrong. It is a display team precisely because it consists of the pilot, the engineers, logistics, public affairs etc.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the RAF’s inability to display aircraft, it’s a weird link to make.

Just like the F-35A Demo Team, Viper Demo Team, Chinook Display Team, Swiss Hornet Display Team... all single aircraft teams, but still teams nonetheless.

I'm sorry Tmyers123, a team, in terms of air displays, has always meant a formation of aircraft, until now of course. The Falcons are a Free Fall team, do you ever get to read about the crew of the aircraft they jump from? I'd say not, they rent them these days from anywhere, but without them and their trusty ground crew, there'd be no Falcons. My point stands, back in earlier times admittedly, individual solo display aircraft from the RAF were that prolific, not just the number of types, but the number of solo demo pilots/crews from each. They flew just as professionally and, in fact, with a greater degree of latitude, but they weren't called teams individually. They were just display pilots and crews, there were no glossy brochures for even the aircrew then. The commentator at which ever air display they pitched up at might mention their name during his commentary, but there were that many there'd be too much time spent on publicity to afford each, and their ground crew, the kind of razzamatazz that goes on now. That was a time of abundance, You get it for the few display pilots now, which other than the BBMF, RAFAT and the Falcons is just the Typhoon display, oh and the Tutor and that's about it, so I suppose a lot of PR noise is thrown up because they feel the need to bang the drum now to try and make up for the lacklustre selection. The RAF now is so overstretched so tight on resources with so few aircraft its a natural reflex response to make a big deal of what there is. Its otherwise known as style over substance!

FB
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!
Finningley Boy

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby Domvickery on Mon 10 Dec 2018, 6:08 pm

It’s not even January, is this what the rest of the close season will bring?

Who cares, move on
Inventor of the baguette scale
Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby phreakf4 on Mon 10 Dec 2018, 7:02 pm

Calling me, a 71 (and a half) year old pensioner, a photography, motorsport (which is anathema to a true socialist because of its finances and elitism) and aviation enthusiast (also disliked by "socialists" because we "glorify war machines") and a radio-control aeromodeller, a "socialist revolutionary" because I consider the rest of "the team" to be also of importance says much more about Finningley Boy than it does about me.
nothing is confirmed at a show until it's u/c hits the tarmac or it's running in for it's display.....
User avatar
phreakf4

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby Tommy on Mon 10 Dec 2018, 8:52 pm

phreakf4 wrote:Calling me, a 71 (and a half) year old pensioner, a photography, motorsport (which is anathema to a true socialist because of its finances and elitism) and aviation enthusiast (also disliked by "socialists" because we "glorify war machines") and a radio-control aeromodeller, a "socialist revolutionary" because I consider the rest of "the team" to be also of importance says much more about Finningley Boy than it does about me.


I genuinely wouldn't worry about it. Whilst I think you're correct, you're all arguing over the definition of a "display team". It's not worth more than a second of anyone's time, let alone getting offended by.
User avatar
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby spellow3010 on Tue 11 Dec 2018, 9:09 am

So what about Solo Turk? Call themselves Solo, but patently a team as they have two painted jets, and two display pilots... but only one displays at a time.

Team or not? :hide:
User avatar
spellow3010

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 11 Dec 2018, 9:56 am

How long before this topic is binned, then?
Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

PreviousNext

Return to Royal International Air Tattoo

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests