RIAT 2019

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby vbombers2 on Wed 15 May 2019, 10:49 am

HeyfordDave111 wrote:should have been there in 2008 then. :lol:
saturday morning of 2011 wasnt much good either. :biggrin:


I remember 2011 very well, huddled under the last remaining parasol in the Pimms enclosure waiting for the skies to clear. To be followed by the A-10 going tech :mad:
vbombers2

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby Luke28 on Wed 15 May 2019, 11:04 am

I've been refreshing this post for thr past 5 minutes........ Then realised its only Wednesday :dizzy:
Luke28

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby Luigi on Wed 15 May 2019, 12:34 pm

Luke28 wrote:I've been refreshing this post for thr past 5 minutes........ Then realised its only Wednesday :dizzy:



Isn't Wednesday an RIAT announcement day (given that they've anything to announce :lol: )?
Luigi

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby PanaviaTornado on Wed 15 May 2019, 12:57 pm

MiG_Eater wrote:We don't use the 2008 word here...

To be fair - Wednesday to Friday saw great arrivals and practising, Monday was good for departures, and Saturday and Sunday were good for sunbathing...


True, those of us lucky enough to catch that F-22 demo on the Friday saw something special, still IMHO by far the best F-22 display ever and kinda made it worthwhile for me even though the show itself was cancelled! IIRC we also got a free trade day ticket for Farnborough the following week.
PanaviaTornado

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby Skyflash on Wed 15 May 2019, 1:22 pm

PanaviaTornado wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:We don't use the 2008 word here...

To be fair - Wednesday to Friday saw great arrivals and practising, Monday was good for departures, and Saturday and Sunday were good for sunbathing...


True, those of us lucky enough to catch that F-22 demo on the Friday saw something special, still IMHO by far the best F-22 display ever and kinda made it worthwhile for me even though the show itself was cancelled! IIRC we also got a free trade day ticket for Farnborough the following week.


Completely agree, at least I have never seen it flown with that level of aggression since.

That tailslide where it seemed to fall for about 100ft... oh my :rock: :hide:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...
User avatar
Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby PanaviaTornado on Wed 15 May 2019, 1:29 pm

Skyflash wrote:
PanaviaTornado wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:We don't use the 2008 word here...

To be fair - Wednesday to Friday saw great arrivals and practising, Monday was good for departures, and Saturday and Sunday were good for sunbathing...


True, those of us lucky enough to catch that F-22 demo on the Friday saw something special, still IMHO by far the best F-22 display ever and kinda made it worthwhile for me even though the show itself was cancelled! IIRC we also got a free trade day ticket for Farnborough the following week.


Completely agree, at least I have never seen it flown with that level of aggression since.

That tailslide where it seemed to fall for about 100ft... oh my :rock: :hide:


Yep they have certainly toned it down since, a few ok vids of it still on youtube though to remember. I think the weather at the time helped, the 600ft or so thick cloud base (or what it seemed like) just kept all the noise in too and accentuated those huge burners! To me it made me realise there and then really how far the Yanks are ahead of anything developed this side of the pond, jaw was firmly on the floor.
PanaviaTornado

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby capercaillie on Wed 15 May 2019, 1:35 pm

Skyflash wrote:
PanaviaTornado wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:We don't use the 2008 word here...

To be fair - Wednesday to Friday saw great arrivals and practising, Monday was good for departures, and Saturday and Sunday were good for sunbathing...


True, those of us lucky enough to catch that F-22 demo on the Friday saw something special, still IMHO by far the best F-22 display ever and kinda made it worthwhile for me even though the show itself was cancelled! IIRC we also got a free trade day ticket for Farnborough the following week.


Completely agree, at least I have never seen it flown with that level of aggression since.

That tailslide where it seemed to fall for about 100ft... oh my :rock: :hide:


100 feet, pah amateurs. :wave:

As the swingwing one has said, I believe the very turbulent weather, the huge black cloud of doom to the northeast, holding all that noise in, added to the spectacle, its a standard routine, so theoretically no better than other displays that year, but the atmosphere leant itself to appearing more dynamic. The subsequent years do appear to have become more restricted.
"The surrogate voice of st24"
User avatar
capercaillie

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby Luigi on Wed 15 May 2019, 2:20 pm

capercaillie wrote:
Skyflash wrote:
PanaviaTornado wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:We don't use the 2008 word here...

To be fair - Wednesday to Friday saw great arrivals and practising, Monday was good for departures, and Saturday and Sunday were good for sunbathing...


True, those of us lucky enough to catch that F-22 demo on the Friday saw something special, still IMHO by far the best F-22 display ever and kinda made it worthwhile for me even though the show itself was cancelled! IIRC we also got a free trade day ticket for Farnborough the following week.


Completely agree, at least I have never seen it flown with that level of aggression since.

That tailslide where it seemed to fall for about 100ft... oh my :rock: :hide:


100 feet, pah amateurs. :wave:

As the swingwing one has said, I believe the very turbulent weather, the huge black cloud of doom to the northeast, holding all that noise in, added to the spectacle, its a standard routine, so theoretically no better than other displays that year, but the atmosphere leant itself to appearing more dynamic. The subsequent years do appear to have become more restricted.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fv2OvjTrlI
Luigi

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby IATthenRIAT on Wed 15 May 2019, 2:52 pm

The only thing I am upset about is the NATO flypast on the Fri/Sat I am going on the Sun (cant do anything about that its all set up) why on earth would they make it Fri/Sat - Fri has always been just a rehearsal day RIAT has always set Sat and Sun for its main days, cant get my head around why DBH would do that.
IATthenRIAT

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby Abbo46 on Wed 15 May 2019, 2:53 pm

They've had a show at RIAT on the Friday since 2014.
User avatar
Abbo46

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby Airshowhammer on Wed 15 May 2019, 2:58 pm

IATthenRIAT wrote:The only thing I am upset about is the NATO flypast on the Fri/Sat I am going on the Sun (cant do anything about that its all set up) why on earth would they make it Fri/Sat - Fri has always been just a rehearsal day RIAT has always set Sat and Sun for its main days, cant get my head around why DBH would do that.


I'm fairly confident DBH have no say in this at all. If the Air Arms that are participating can only do these days then that's that. I'm certain DBH would've loved to have this on all 3 days.
Airshowhammer

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby IATthenRIAT on Wed 15 May 2019, 3:06 pm

Airshowhammer wrote:
IATthenRIAT wrote:The only thing I am upset about is the NATO flypast on the Fri/Sat I am going on the Sun (cant do anything about that its all set up) why on earth would they make it Fri/Sat - Fri has always been just a rehearsal day RIAT has always set Sat and Sun for its main days, cant get my head around why DBH would do that.


I'm fairly confident DBH have no say in this at all. If the Air Arms that are participating can only do these days then that's that. I'm certain DBH would've loved to have this on all 3 days.


Do wonder in light of this if anything else is being planned for the sunday to balance the lack of flypast.
IATthenRIAT

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby Airshowhammer on Wed 15 May 2019, 4:42 pm

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:
IATthenRIAT wrote:The only thing I am upset about is the NATO flypast on the Fri/Sat I am going on the Sun (cant do anything about that its all set up) why on earth would they make it Fri/Sat - Fri has always been just a rehearsal day RIAT has always set Sat and Sun for its main days, cant get my head around why DBH would do that.


I'm fairly confident DBH have no say in this at all. If the Air Arms that are participating can only do these days then that's that. I'm certain DBH would've loved to have this on all 3 days.


Do wonder in light of this if anything else is being planned for the sunday to balance the lack of flypast.


Lets hope you're right! :smile:
Airshowhammer

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby AARDVARK on Wed 15 May 2019, 4:50 pm

Just noticed in the declined countries Australia and Czech Republic, not sure if that was covered in another post?
AARDVARK

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby Abbo46 on Wed 15 May 2019, 4:52 pm

Been declined for a good 4/5 weeks now. :smile:
User avatar
Abbo46

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby AARDVARK on Wed 15 May 2019, 4:57 pm

Abbo46 wrote:Been declined for a good 4/5 weeks now. :smile:


Just me then lol....

Shame no funky Wedge Tail patches to grab this year ;)
AARDVARK

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby TomTwin on Wed 15 May 2019, 6:37 pm

AARDVARK wrote:
Abbo46 wrote:Been declined for a good 4/5 weeks now. :smile:


Just me then lol....

Shame no funky Wedge Tail patches to grab this year ;)


Yet. Turkey have it and they are in discussions...
TomTwin

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby Irishaernut on Wed 15 May 2019, 8:25 pm

capercaillie wrote:
Tommy wrote:
Luigi wrote:
So what is this forum for?


Christ knows, mate.


Moaning about prices
Moaning about Friday
Moaning about participation
Moaning about the same participation
Going "Kris Kris Tofferson!" and whooping over the same participation
Moaning about announcements
Moaning about lack of announcements
Moaning about marketing
Moaning about spam and filler
Moaning about others
Discussing content of other events
Moaning about the content of other events
Moaning about the lack of content at other events
Punning
Moaning about punning
I'm sure there's more...... :handbag:



Don’t forget spelling and grammar,,, that’s always worth a page or so :lol: :lol:
User avatar
Irishaernut

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby Abbo46 on Wed 15 May 2019, 8:26 pm

Moaning about moaning has to be on there, surely?
User avatar
Abbo46

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby Tmyers123 on Wed 15 May 2019, 8:41 pm

Abbo46 wrote:Moaning about moaning has to be on there, surely?


Are you moaning about moaning about moaning? :shock:
User avatar
Tmyers123

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby Irishaernut on Wed 15 May 2019, 11:46 pm

We have reached peak moan. :lol:

On a RIAT based question are we near the 2018 aircraft numbers yet ?
2018 was my first show and as I traveled from abroad it was the best show I have ever seen
Even the Jordanian falcons had me riveted
User avatar
Irishaernut

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby Go4Long on Wed 15 May 2019, 11:55 pm

Irishaernut wrote:We have reached peak moan. :lol:

On a RIAT based question are we near the 2018 aircraft numbers yet ?
2018 was my first show and as I traveled from abroad it was the best show I have ever seen
Even the Jordanian falcons had me riveted


2018 was the 100th anniversary of the RAF...so no, we’re not at those levels and we’re not going to get there.
User avatar
Go4Long

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby CJS on Thu 16 May 2019, 6:04 am

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:
IATthenRIAT wrote:The only thing I am upset about is the NATO flypast on the Fri/Sat I am going on the Sun (cant do anything about that its all set up) why on earth would they make it Fri/Sat - Fri has always been just a rehearsal day RIAT has always set Sat and Sun for its main days, cant get my head around why DBH would do that.


I'm fairly confident DBH have no say in this at all. If the Air Arms that are participating can only do these days then that's that. I'm certain DBH would've loved to have this on all 3 days.


Do wonder in light of this if anything else is being planned for the sunday to balance the lack of flypast.


Well it's the 65th anniversary of the first flight of the JP so I would suggest some kind of massed display is needed (I mean, key anniversary, not to be missed hey?!) to do in the gap on the Sunday.

To be honest I'm surprised it's not one of this year's themes (NATO 70th? Pah!)
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
User avatar
CJS

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby Luigi on Thu 16 May 2019, 8:58 am

Moaning about the different displays on Sa and Su: I am attending only on Sa cause on Su I'm flying back home!

:wall: :hide:

and...moaning about flying back home.

:lmao:

Ok, Luigi: stop spamming now!
Luigi

Re: RIAT 2019

Postby MiG_Eater on Thu 16 May 2019, 9:07 am

I have to say the quality of the moaning this year is much worse than previous years. The times we live in mean that we have to accept that the glory-days of moaning are now gone. I guess we have to appreciate that we have any moaning at all.
MiG_Eater

PreviousNext

Return to Royal International Air Tattoo

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Go4Long, ianf, lambo17841, MarkVTX and 41 guests