Thoughts on the show.

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
wessex01

Re: Thoughts on the show.

Post by wessex01 »

skyking_comms wrote:For those complaining about the flying display, then why dont you go on the friday and watch the rehearsals?

If only it was that easy!!

I'd love to go to see the arrivals/departure days, even to miss out on the main Show days, but my employers are one of the few that still tell us when we have our holidays - and they always tie in with the local School holidays, so no prospect of going anywhere to midweek Air Shows like Dawlish or Culdrose :sad: :sad: :sad:

profile_M

Post by profile_M »

Saracen wrote:
rdchawk wrote:and the A-10 cut short

Just a note about the A10 he had to stop due to an Electrical problem and as he came into land he told the tower he had fixed it and he could now continue the display but was told by the Tower to land !!!

Sorry I have to correct you there. The A10 did not fix his problem he requested that he do some flat passes as he could not continue aerobatics with the problem and the tower said no due to timings.

Dharma572

Post by Dharma572 »

This was my second RIAT (my first being last year) and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Before 2010 I hadn't been to an airshow for 10 years, so for me, it's just nice to be there and see something up in the air! :smile:

Had a brilliant time though... always nice to see the Vulcan fly. Shame about the Saudi Hawks but I didn't let it ruin the entire thing for me! Already looking forward to next year!

Dharma572

Post by Dharma572 »

boff180 wrote:Do I think next year will be the best in years (based on rumours)? YES!

Just out of interest, what are the rumours?? :smile:

klingklang

Post by klingklang »

YES what are the rumours ? who wants to come? only rumour i got was on twitter Riat team " in fighting"

My thoughts on the show i will post when ive calmed down :mad:

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

klingklang wrote:YES what are the rumours ? who wants to come? only rumour i got was on twitter Riat team " in fighting"

My thoughts on the show i will post when ive calmed down :mad:

nah - tell us your feeling abt the show while ur still feeling mad! It'll be no good when you've calmed down!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Dharma572 wrote:
boff180 wrote:Do I think next year will be the best in years (based on rumours)? YES!

Well, centered around Farnborough attendees....
F-35 (only heard the rumour, seen no evidence to support), Pak-fa (evidence: statement from Putin earlier in the year), Chinese - Unidentified type (evidence: The Chinese display delegation being present at RIAT 2011 for a recce!)

Andy

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Is it me or is it sad that 'The Worlds biggest military airshow' has to rely on a unrelated trade show for its future stars of the show?

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

boff180 wrote:
Dharma572 wrote:

F-35 (only heard the rumour, seen no evidence to support), Pak-fa (evidence: statement from Putin earlier in the year), Chinese - Unidentified type (evidence: The Chinese display delegation being present at RIAT 2011 for a recce!)

Andy

Just because the Chinese delegation have made an appearance doesn't mean they'll be attending next year or the year after for sure. I remember the Bulgarian MiG pilot attended RIAT in 1998 and said he was hoping to display at RIAT 1999 but that never came to fruition...

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Also, I like how Ms. Burke has tweeted about appearing at RIAT this afternoon, but doesn't mention 'RIAT' or 'Air Tattoo' or 'Air Show' in any of her tweets. Maybe she's been reading these forums? :wink:

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

All I am saying is bring on farnborough 2012 :lol:

Though once the flying started I did enjoy It liked the Rafale display and the OFMC pair plus the Grippen it just a shame about the A10 as that looked like one hell of a show bring on the F15 demo at duxford, also shame they not change things round as I was looking forward to seeing the Turkish F-16 the Green arrows :wink: Italian Tornado and the hunters though thought they could off sent the Turk F16 up when it was taxing as the cloud base did bugger off but was still raining :mad: just hope they stay displaying next year they come to farnborough.

James
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham

Stuka

Post by Stuka »

Traveled from afar to attend the RIATon Saturday. In one word "Rafale" :yahoo: :yahoo: Thank you France.. :kiss: It was worth the time and expense just to see that display!
Last edited by Stuka on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

I hope everybody who went really enjoyed it despite the weather on saturday
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

pb643

Post by pb643 »

boff180 wrote:
Dharma572 wrote:

Andy

I'm afraid I will not be rushing down to the bookies on the basis of those rumours, one being a long shot (a year or two to early for F35 I would have thought) and the other two being nigh on impossibilities.

However I would love for either the PAK-FA or something Chinese being correct. What was the statement from Putin you mention please? Would there not be diplomatic issues with the Chinese?

How did the show/weather go today any one?

Phil

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Just seen on airtattoo website that flying was delayed by an hour and a half but still a full flying program!!!!

Why didnt they do it yesterday??

Also answers the people who said couldnt be extended.

Big piss take RIAT!! After 26 RIAT's i will not be going into the show anymore.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

craig.mason wrote:I hope everybody who went really enjoyed it despite the weather on saturday

Read the previous 3 pages :whistle:
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

RichPittman

Post by RichPittman »

Seems there are still many friat members that are more than happy with the show given the thousands off photos taken.
Also was watching people walking around the static that were smiling even with no flying.
A10 take off and display was great.
Opening the gates at the eastern end at 7am on Saturday was great also.stopped slot of queue jumping!
Tiger stuff nicely parked even with tags on.
Shame no Vulcan topsides this year.
Toilets were improved from what I can remember also.
Have to agree with the smaller acts.I slept through the Belgians and hadn't realised they had been on Saturday.

Preying for a minute of sun for the flanker take of tomorow :lol:
Always remember "If you cannot turn tight...you cannot fight!"

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Where does one start?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

will have my dinner ,then post....not happy,worst Air Tattoo of all time,and ive beeen going since 1975!
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

airsound

Post by airsound »

andyxh558 wrote:.... the voice of the Vulcan and his if it wasn't for Dr Plemming spiel during it. why cant he acknowledge the buying of the Vulcan and obtaining ALL of the Wartime spares for her by David Walton, which we owe a great deal because if it wasnt for him I strongly doubt we would be seeing her in the air in the first place!

Just seen this, Andy - and I think you have a point. I shall try and include it in future mentions of the early saviours of the project.

Anything else?

airsound

PS It's Pleming!

MikeH

Post by MikeH »

tankbuster81 wrote:.....worst Air Tattoo of all time,and ive beeen going since 1975!

Wasn't the 1975 one a bit quiet? :question:

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

rdchawk wrote:Just seen on airtattoo website that flying was delayed by an hour and a half but still a full flying program!!!!

Why didnt they do it yesterday??

Also answers the people who said couldnt be extended.

Big piss take RIAT!! After 26 RIAT's i will not be going into the show anymore.

The air display started at 11:50 yesterday so not much more than an hour and a half delay so why were so many things missed off yesterday but not today :question:

Arthur Tee

Post by Arthur Tee »

Went on Saturday...

Traffic / Parking - excellent!

Queue and Security Checks - good (maybe RIAT took note of my e-mail from last year - the checks then were shamefully inadequate - and poorly planned).

Static - both good and bad. Bad for the likes of the Helis (stalls, flags and banners all over the place) but excellent positioning of the Tiger Meet aircraft.

Flying Aprons - good at Eastern end but poor in the west. All those nice Hunters - and not a good shot to be had.

Flying Display - left at five - but what I saw till then was very good. I have seen moans on here about not re-jigging the programme. As en ex RIAT volunteer (1985 to 1997 inclusive) I know it's just not that simple.

The crews (and support crews) have to be bussed in from their accommodation at pre-arranged times - drumming up transport at the click of a finger doesn't work!

Checklist - I know this takes some compiling - but can we have it in some sort of semblance of an order.
The Spanish Casa 101's for example - these are not in order of serial, 79 code or tail code! :roll:
Surely a breakdown by type, then model, then serial...? And maybe a gap for additions and visitors rather than the photos?

Yes I would love to have seen the Italian Tonka and C-27 and the Saudi Hawks - but life is not that simple!

Will I be returning next year? Yes (and not just because I took advantage of the buy now get next year's ticket free promotion offer over the Fathers Day weekend).

Was it worth £40 - probably. :confused:

Was it worth £20 - most definitely! :grin:

Arthur
Canon PowerShot SX40HS - It's not what you've got - it's what you do with it!

TomTwin

Post by TomTwin »

RIAT for me was as good as it was going to be because of the weather. The display schedule was affected by the weather, but what else can you do about it? If a certain act can't display, it can't display. Yes I would have liked to see the Turkish F-16 and the Saudi Hawks, but I appreciate that I saw the aircraft on the ground rather than not at all. Plus, the displays were top notch, particularly the Gripen, Typhoon and Rafale.
I think it is great it is a family day out too, but they could have the rides and that away from the displays, maybe near the stage where Alexandra Burke and the Chip shop boys were.
I definately will be doing RIAT 2012, might even do MACH 3, really want to experience FRIAT rather than one day out, as I always want to see more than what I see in one day. :biggrin:

I enjoyed the show despite cancellations, but appreciated RIAT as a whole. 2012 is meant to be a big one, so lets see about that one.....

Offbreed

Post by Offbreed »

I really enjoyed it, but the organisers need to move noisey things like fairground rides,
well away from the crowd line. The photographers area in jubilee gardens was a good
idea. The weather was unfortunate causing aircraft to loose slots, I think its time to
seed aircraft displays, like players at Wimbledon, higher seeded aircraft should always
get slots if weather causes cancellations. :hide:

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

Arthur Tee wrote:Went on Saturday...

I have seen moans on here about not re-jigging the programme. As en ex RIAT volunteer (1985 to 1997 inclusive) I know it's just not that simple.

Arthur

I remember Margate's Big Event in 2008 when the Hawk was about to display but it had a problem so it returned to Manston we then got a replacement act that was not ment to be displaying until the next day after there display we then got Flight Lieutenant Dave Davies in the spare hawk to display :rock:

James
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham