Thoughts on the show.

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
speedbird2639

Re: Thoughts on the show.

Post by speedbird2639 »

craig.mason wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:On the subject of food and drink - it was cheaper and better than what was on offer at Duxford last week. The food at the Grand Prix was also cheaper than Duxford infact!

the price of food is always overpriced at these events as they have a captive audience the people cannot leave and go to the local shops were it will be half the price of what these vendors charge

RIAT used to have a list of maximum prices agreed with vendors of food and drink and published in the Programme - does this not happen anymore? To be honest in the past the maximum allowed by RIAT was always the maximum a vendor with a brass neck wld have the nerve to charge anyway but at least it indicated these prices were being monitored - personally I always bring my own food and drink with me and I havent bothered with the over priced programme for years as the only thing I bought it for (the flying order) was normally disregarded after abt 1015hrs!

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

I think the main points that RIAT need to answer are:

Why was the flying display extended on the sunday but not the saturday?
If they knew the weather report for the saturday why not move things around before the show day??
Why not show off the rare stuff in the flying display instead of the run of the mill common acts??
Why are advance ticket holders treated badly by offering free tickets to those who purchase tickets late??

And they need to give a definitive answer now as to whether RIAT is an airshow or just a day out now for families.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

As there are now car parks on the airfield, why not just go back to how it used to be pre 9/11, have ALL the parking on the airfield and compress the showground area into a more sensible size?

Interesting to hear about manic VIP minibus drivers - I understand one was involved in taking out a row of cones and a disabled person's scooter on Sunday.

I heard two conflicting reports of the size of the 'crowd' that watched the Alexandra Burke concert - 'nearly a thousand' and 'about three thousand'. How many visitors on a show day? 70,000 or so? Well worth organising the flying display around a niche attraction then.

Also interesting to hear of arguments among RIAT staff about positioning the pair of Breitling Stearmans on the grass near FRIAT, despite complaints about this on Saturday. Breitling wanted them by their pavilion, RIAT wouldn't allow it and so stuck them in front of the paying public despite knowing it'd annoy them. So sponsor unhappy, public unhappy, er...!!

I'm glad I chose Sunday despite the poorer weather during the day - at least nearly everything went up, unlike Saturday which saw the stars of the show binned while the more run of the mill items that you could see at any UK airshow went up precisely as per schedule. I assume the wholesale shifting of Sunday's schedule was in response to complaints about how the Saturday display was managed, if so well done but I can understand why Saturday visitors would be fuming.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

DamienB wrote:I heard two conflicting reports of the size of the 'crowd' that watched the Alexandra Burke concert - 'nearly a thousand' and 'about three thousand'. How many visitors on a show day? 70,000 or so? Well worth organising the flying display around a niche attraction then.

There's a third option, which is pretty much in the middle of your two! As the average, let's go with that one! :grin:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

raiford

Post by raiford »

The only item that did'nt fly Sunday were the Spanish team, so all in all an excellent day, the weather held after the morning rain with just a few dribs and drabs in the afternoon, but nothing to spoil a great day! The Chinook display was the best ever, the A-10 was incredible and Belgian F-16 was once again awesome, thoroughly enjoyed the whole flying display from start to finish :clap: roll on RIAT 2012! :rock:

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

I walked past to have a goose at the stage to see what all the racket was on Saturday morning before the show eventually started. During the 'punk-rock' tribute act there were more people on stage than watching them.
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Mictheslik wrote:
DerekF wrote:- 4 F-16s - brilliant – like days of old – hard to pick a favourite but I think the Turkish example edged it. Does anyone know when was the last time a Danish F-16 displayed in the UK?

Yeovilton last year :biggrin:

.mic

OK, the time before that then....

I don't think I could recall ever seeing a Danish F-16 in the flying display.

As far as going back to the "good old days" - are they really any different? I can recall airshows in the 1980s and 90s when there were many F-16s in the flying display. I'll have to dig out programmes from the early shows I went to Greenham and Fairford to see if things really have changed that much. The one thing that was noticeable was that the Vulcan was the largest aircraft in the flying display.

I'm baffled by the comments about the static Flanker though - they must have deflated the bouncy castle when I was there - all I have is trees or the Il76 in the background.
One of the problems is the sheer size of the airfield. There is plenty of room to keep the statics and showground completely seperate. I appreciate that having -offbase parking means the traffic flow is better -(I'm still traumatized by 1997's traffic disaster). Having said that, the static is far better placed than the photographic nightmare that is the Waddington static display.

I quite enjoy like a "lull" in proceedings - a time to sit and watch and have a bite to eat - and I thought the ATC tribute was excellent. I have to say that by the time the Brietling team were on I was definitely wilting - it is a long day. Up at 6am - flying still going on gone 6pm and knowing I had a long walk to the carpark then a two and half hour drive home. I enjoyed a few lulls now and again!

st24

Post by st24 »

I think LN Strike Eagle and Alexandra's better looking brother ( :wink: :grin: ) have summed it up very nicely. I didn't go over the weekend, even though I had a ticket. The crappy looking forecast was the main driver but then the thoughts of a motorway drive in the rain, the queues, the security, the hassle of finding a place and keeping it, the annoying static parking of most stuff, the non aeroplane orientated drivel and nonsense, the noise of the fun fair, concerts and commentary...I could go on. Looking at the way the Saturday show went with the juicy stuff canned for the mundane, the pleasing of the sponsors over the punters, the over hype of everything, the general feeling that the punters were second best, well I'm glad I didn't go. RIAT just ain't fun no more.
Having said that, the weather for the arrivals days was fairly good and there was some jovial banter - the build up days are the not to be missed element of RIAT to me and many others. Having said, the overall impression from many I spoke to merely echoed what has been banging around on here for months and that is continuing now. I should really be there today - I love departure day, but then I look at the wx and also the list of stuff and, well..here I am typing this.
I really feel 2011 is a watershed year for RIAT, I really hope that there is some long, hard thinking and re-thinking of where they've been, where they are and where they're going.
Caper text me and said that he had counted 58 (IIRC) static military aeroplanes. That alone is proof of the pudding; thats a pretty pathetic number when considered, and the fact that they came from the lowest number of countries to attend since 1985 does nothing to support RIAT's claims and hype. It was a very poor show in such a big year and I don't buy this "next years going to be amazing" spin. Ater all, they said that this time last year....
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Height is Good

Post by Height is Good »

..........and you still bought a ticket!!! :grin:

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

st24 wrote:I think LN Strike Eagle and Alexandra's better looking brother ( :wink: :grin: ) have summed it up very nicely. I didn't go over the weekend, even though I had a ticket. The crappy looking forecast was the main driver but then the thoughts of a motorway drive in the rain, the queues, the security, the hassle of finding a place and keeping it, the annoying static parking of most stuff, the non aeroplane orientated drivel and nonsense, the noise of the fun fair, concerts and commentary...I could go on. Looking at the way the Saturday show went with the juicy stuff canned for the mundane, the pleasing of the sponsors over the punters, the over hype of everything, the general feeling that the punters were second best, well I'm glad I didn't go. RIAT just ain't fun no more.
Having said that, the weather for the arrivals days was fairly good and there was some jovial banter - the build up days are the not to be missed element of RIAT to me and many others. Having said, the overall impression from many I spoke to merely echoed what has been banging around on here for months and that is continuing now. I should really be there today - I love departure day, but then I look at the wx and also the list of stuff and, well..here I am typing this.
I really feel 2011 is a watershed year for RIAT, I really hope that there is some long, hard thinking and re-thinking of where they've been, where they are and where they're going.
Caper text me and said that he had counted 58 (IIRC) static military aeroplanes. That alone is proof of the pudding; thats a pretty pathetic number when considered, and the fact that they came from the lowest number of countries to attend since 1985 does nothing to support RIAT's claims and hype. It was a very poor show in such a big year and I don't buy this "next years going to be amazing" spin. Ater all, they said that this time last year....

Mini-st24 agrees completely! :snack:

Trevsy

Post by Trevsy »

I don't think simply saying "I enjoyed it" is much of a yardstick, as 99% of us are aircraft enthusiasts, I'd image we all would enjoy a big airshow. However the flying programme inparticular was dubious.

Personally I thought that the following were poor:
Tutor
Hawk
Tucano
Belgian "Rouge" nonsense
Cadet thing (painfully dire)
Saudi Hawks
Bordanian Falcons
....and thank god the "Aguila" were canned.

Especially in terms of Falcons, the belgians, the Tutor and Tucano these types are simply not suitable for the size of show that RIAT is. Seemed to me like putting a go-cart on the grid with a load F.1 cars at a Grand Prix, they just seem inappropriate.

One of the things those at Yeovilton this year may have noted was there were few of these types, which frankly are unsuited to the big airshows. I realise these things are political, i.e. "the Jordanains have to display....etc" but really they detracted from a flying display, I hate to say but at points I was tempted to go and see if Alexandra was still on!
"Dom Pérignon '62 Red 5?" - Roger Moore

ian.goddard

Post by ian.goddard »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Yesterday's display had a noticable lull in proceedings (read various comments from people in our Twitter feed to suggest that they agreed) while Miss Burke was on stage with small, quiet prop and trainer types, probably to avoid drowning her out. To organise the 'main event' around the sideshow is staggering IMO.

This is exactly the impression I got as well. What made it worse was that it coincided with some of the best weather conditions on the Sunday and we felt a bit like everything was being put on hold. I may be wrong but it seemed to go on much longer than 40 minutes as well.

On the plus side, the crowd on the far side of the airfield were clearly enjoying this display. :claypole:

st24

Post by st24 »

DerekF wrote:[quote="OK, the time before that then....

I don't think I could recall ever seeing a Danish F-16 in the flying display.

Depsite being prolific IAT/RIAT attenders (they've only missed '72 & '73) , as far as I can recall, this is the first time they have displayed at a Tattoo since 1979 when they flew a solo T-17 Supporter, prior to that 1974 when they presented a 2 ship F-104 display.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Micky S

Post by Micky S »

Having been to every RIAT since 1993, I have to say that this was by far the poorest of them all. I hate to criticise the organisers as over the years they have done a fantastic job and I have seen many fantastic shows. However, a long hard look needs to be taken as RIAT has lost all track of what made it good and special. I can understand the current economic situation and cutbacks have had an effect but what has happened to the big finales and one off formation flybys that used to be the hallmark of this show. I am not criticsing the Breitling Teams but come on this is meant to be the Worlds Greatest Airshow. As for Alexandra Burke, if I wanted to see an X Factor show I would go to the NEC and beleive me I will not be doing that. I go to RIAT as a Military Aircraft Enthusiast and I think this is what RIAT needs to really focus on.

Having read some reviews on here I am very dissapointed if true that the A10 pilot requested to do flybys and was denied due to timings. This was meant to be the major highlight. It just seems crazy. And why was Sunday extended but Saturday was not?

I have to agree with some and say that it has never quite been the same since Paul Bowen sadly passed away.

I think RIAT has really lost sight of what it stood for and what summed it up for me was when somebody next to me said about the A10 " I dont know what plane it is but it was in Transformers" I dont expect everyone to have aircraft knowledge but in years gone by I dont think you would ever have heard this said!

Heres hoping RIAT can get back on track as its always been a highlight of my year!

jezza

Post by jezza »

I did not go to RIAT this year because of the long queues, waiting to get in to the base, waiting to get in at the security barrier mularky last year, also because there was no BIG item on the display list. Sounds like I made the right decision.
Can anyone say if the security and getting in had improved significantly over last year? Also last year we were invited to provide feedback , which Im sure someone did, but was any of it taken on board?
Overall the impression I get is that despite it being RIAT's 40th Birthday - no one was really bothered to buy a fantastic birthday present for the show and all the patient and frustrated enthusiats who turn up every year expecting the best - am I right or is it just the weather that got everyone down?
Jezza
:tumbleweed:

Micky S

Post by Micky S »

Just wondered if anyone noticed when the Red Arrows were preparing to run in behind the crowd Saturday that one pulled up out of the formation then rejoined. Does anyone know the reason for this or have any ideas what he was doing. Wondered if he had a problem and sorted it?

Thanks

canard67

Post by canard67 »

"Having read some reviews on here I am very dissapointed if true that the A10 pilot requested to do flybys and was denied due to timings."

I was involved with organizing and controlling airshows for a decade or 2 and was very wary about letting aircraft depart from their set routine , remember the Turbo Mentor at Mildenhall.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Micky S wrote:Just wondered if anyone noticed when the Red Arrows were preparing to run in behind the crowd Saturday that one pulled up out of the formation then rejoined. Does anyone know the reason for this or have any ideas what he was doing. Wondered if he had a problem and sorted it?

Thanks

On Friday night the Reds seemed to do a missing man formation when they returned (anyone else notice this?).

pb643

Post by pb643 »

st24 wrote:I really feel 2011 is a watershed year for RIAT, I really hope that there is some long, hard thinking and re-thinking of where they've been, where they are and where they're going.

2011 is the first time that I have left the event on saturday where I have seen nothing new at all and with the benefit of hindsight I would have stayed at home.

Out of the 8-10 items that held some interest to me in the flying programme I only managed to see 2 and a bit, (Grippen, Rafael and a bit of A10) the others all cancelled.

I will not be buying a cheap advance ticket next year.

If they do manage to come up with something extraordinary then I will consider buying an eticket, otherwise there will be no descision to make.....see you at Legends

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Micky S wrote:Just wondered if anyone noticed when the Red Arrows were preparing to run in behind the crowd Saturday that one pulled up out of the formation then rejoined. Does anyone know the reason for this or have any ideas what he was doing. Wondered if he had a problem and sorted it?

Thanks

He was just checking the cloud base at the request of Red 1, nothing dramatic :smile:

Also just to clarify, the A10 was clear on Saturday he was unable to perform an aerobatic routine, though did offer to do some flat flypasts which were declined by the tower due to timings. So he landed and apologised for a 'lack of demo'. Sounded peed off!!

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

DerekF wrote:

- 4 F-16s - brilliant – like days of old – hard to pick a favourite but I think the Turkish example edged it. Does anyone know when was the last time a Danish F-16 displayed in the UK?
-

Ok don't rub it in :grin: though glad I saw the Danish F-16 display was a good display, the Dutch display was not as good when I saw at Eastbourne 2009, I guess the belgium was a good display as well its still got 'Mitch' as the pilot. :rock:

James
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham

stonesfan

Post by stonesfan »

I wonder if those who were calling those who were questioning the line up 'negative' 'moaners' etc etc have anything to say now that its clear the majority of posters on here were not impressed by the RIAT package?

I think those who live in the real World rather than the rose tinted glasses one knew what was coming!

And before anyone mentions 'real world' 'cutbacks' etc, how did Yeovilton manage to put on such a fantastic display? Is it a case of those who are organising it are simply better than those at RIAT?

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

stonesfan wrote:I wonder if those who were calling those who were questioning the line up 'negative' 'moaners' etc etc have anything to say now that its clear the majority of posters on here were not impressed by the RIAT package?

It'll certainly be interesting to see what 'RIAT Air Ops' has to say about all of the negative feedback! Personally, it's a much needed wake up call!

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

jezza wrote:I did not go to RIAT this year because of the long queues, waiting to get in to the base, waiting to get in at the security barrier mularky last year, also because there was no BIG item on the display list. Sounds like I made the right decision.
Can anyone say if the security and getting in had improved significantly over last year? Also last year we were invited to provide feedback , which Im sure someone did, but was any of it taken on board?
Overall the impression I get is that despite it being RIAT's 40th Birthday - no one was really bothered to buy a fantastic birthday present for the show and all the patient and frustrated enthusiats who turn up every year expecting the best - am I right or is it just the weather that got everyone down?
Jezza
:tumbleweed:

Security was the same nonsense as previous years - they were initially herding everyone together and subjecting everyone to the metal detector test; then checking all bags then you passed thru to present yr ticket.

Then it started to rain so the metal detectorists moved into the shelter with the bag searchers; eventually someone presumably made the decision that they cldnt cope with the number of people arriving as the lines were growing far faster than people were being processed so they started doing what they termed as 'random searches' - in practice this meant they just waved everyone thru without the metal detector or the bag search straight thru to the ticket examiners - so by this time I had been unnecessarily delayed by 45mins and stood in the pouring rain only to not have my bags searched - plenty of other shows incl those on other live RAF bases dont bother with these pointless searches so unless it is a pedantic requirement of our American cousins I have no idea why they persist with them if I go next year I will wait until 0815hrs when they have realised searching 70k people is unrealisitic and they abandon the searches and then I will be able to walk straight in and find a place to view from.

Cld someone who is/ has been involved in RIAT pls post a note of what and how much of each is confiscated each year as a result of the searches - I've been going to airshows for 20 yrs + and I've never heard of there being a serious security issue at any UK airshow

AMB

Post by AMB »

DamienB wrote:Interesting to hear about manic VIP minibus drivers - I understand one was involved in taking out a row of cones on Sunday.

In that case, maybe they should employ more 'manic minibus drivers'? :grin:
DamienB wrote:I heard two conflicting reports of the size of the 'crowd' that watched the Alexandra Burke concert - 'nearly a thousand' and 'about three thousand'. How many visitors on a show day? 70,000 or so? Well worth organising the flying display around a niche attraction then.

Yep, we don't need any more Burkes at air shows! Poor waste of RIAT money!
DamienB wrote:I'm glad I chose Sunday despite the poorer weather during the day - at least nearly everything went up, unlike Saturday which saw the stars of the show binned while the more run of the mill items that you could see at any UK airshow fly

parabola50 wrote:I know a lot of people were disappointed that the Saudi Hawks didn't fly on Saturday. Are they usually better than the Red Arrows, or were people so interested in them because it's rarer to see them?

On Friday, the Saudi Hawks were scheduled to fly, but gave up their slot at the request of "Frecce" Tricolori". Considering we will probably never see the Saudi team again, I thought this was very bad in view that the Saudis got cancelled and Frecce flew on Saturday. If there was any consideration or dipliomacy, Frecce should have suggested that the Saudis take their slot on Saturday.
Adrian