All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Scampi

Re: camping at Kempsford RIAT 2012

Post by Scampi »

Yea in the entrance and through to the second field

Geezer100

Post by Geezer100 »

knew they had it. Have they not got it this year? or will it be coming soon?

PD31

Post by PD31 »

No sheeting as yet. It's fairly warm, if the rain holds off I think it'll dry out fairly quickly, but the 'roads' are fairly muddy atm.
Cheers

Dave

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Thanks to the days of wireless internet. I can now log on with the laptop from our caravan here in Kempsford.
This morning looks overcast sofar but we had hardly any rain last night and the field seems a little more firm. the roadways are a little slippy. but that I think seems to be from people pressing the pressing down on the gas pedal to hard. Thankfully no rains sofar like yesterday. But we did have 3 flybys yesterday. DHL 767 some Agusta Heli and something that sounded like a turboproped Herk. Bring on tommorow. Hopefully with even less rain.

habu21

Post by habu21 »

Thanks for the update,should be down later after half day at work.

I shall come and say hi to Mr and Missus Fumbles as I think I know who you are.... :smile:

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Just about to set off from miserable Cornwall. Gave my car "Jeff" his anniversary markings hahahaha :grin:

PD31

Post by PD31 »

Defender towing a shower block is now stuck on one of the roads in the first field. On the upside, the Colombian has just landed, and very pretty she is too.
Cheers

Dave

parabola50

Post by parabola50 »

I'm going to be arriving at the campsite on Friday. Are there any precautions I should take to minimise the chances of my car getting stuck or has that not been much of a problem?

Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert »

Parabola50 my landrover has mud terrain tyres so if you need a tow in :whistle: visa shout

agdickie
UKAR Staff

Post by agdickie »

Sounds like I'll need to load up the car with everything I need for the week and just leave it in the site, no nipping into Cirencester.
Agdickie on Airliners.net
Hey jet pilots! Do a barrell roll!

SCOUSEFOWLER

Post by SCOUSEFOWLER »

G-CVIX wrote:Just about to set off from miserable Cornwall. Gave my car "Jeff" his anniversary markings hahahaha :grin:

^this, just this. quality, massive smile when i saw this!!
he who laughs last laughs longest

Burleysway

Post by Burleysway »

I'm heading down to Kempsford tomorrow. Will be fully equiped, looking forward to a great time whatever the weather. See you Soon

The_Tr00per

Post by The_Tr00per »

What are the conditions like at the site?
Is it drivable from the entrance to the camp site through to the back field? The narrow gap between the two fields generally gets a bit boggy.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

The_Tr00per wrote:What are the conditions like at the site?
Is it drivable from the entrance to the camp site through to the back field? The narrow gap between the two fields generally gets a bit boggy.

Fairly boggy but do able, there's a tractor towing people if they get stuck

parabola50

Post by parabola50 »

is there only one way to get in?

PD31

Post by PD31 »

Only one shared entrance/exit yes. Conditions were, as has been said, fairly boggy. But, it's been warm and dry all day so far and some of the muddy areas around FRIAT are (slowly) getting better, so the campsite should hopefully be recovering slightly also.
Cheers

Dave

Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert »

At the moment if you are 2 wheel drive and sensible you will get to where you want no problem.
If 2 wheel drive and towing anything significant I believe you would be towed to a pitch from the entrance.
Campervans seem to be towed regardless.
4 wheel drives towing or not seem to get through no problem.
If you do come to a stop don't try to rev your way out wait for a tow. Revving gets you nowhere and only makes the tracks worse. If you are moving don't stop keep the momentum going.

Just starting to cloud over a bit but cream is required today !

The_Tr00per

Post by The_Tr00per »

Fat Albert wrote:At the moment if you are 2 wheel drive and sensible you will get to where you want no problem.
If 2 wheel drive and towing anything significant I believe you would be towed to a pitch from the entrance.
Campervans seem to be towed regardless.
4 wheel drives towing or not seem to get through no problem.
If you do come to a stop don't try to rev your way out wait for a tow. Revving gets you nowhere and only makes the tracks worse. If you are moving don't stop keep the momentum going.

Just starting to cloud over a bit but cream is required today !

Thanks for the update. I am 2 wheel front drive with no towage. So I should be ok. If it looks bad then I'll just have to floor it to get through the gap that joins the two fields. :rock:

Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert »

As I type metal track way is being laid through the gap between both fields which seemed to be the worst area.
With no rain , a good deal of sunshine and a gentle breeze the tracks in the fields have dried considerably this afternoon , enough to walk across them in normal footwear.

Geezer100

Post by Geezer100 »

Thanx for a great year Clive, the weather was against ya! But your team and you did a fantastic job.
I will be back next year. It was lovely to see so many famiular faces, and meet new ones over the weekend!
Food was great - George did an excellent job as usual. Excellent range of real ales as well. :clap:
I was a bit miffed by one of your stewards on arrival - no welcome sheet, sent down the main track when there was a shower unit stuck towards the end, resulting in me reversing back up to go down the other way. Ho hum!
Let's hope the weather is better next year!