50th Anniversary of the Red Arrows... ?

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
DanH

Re: 50th Anniversary of the Red Arrows... ?

Post by DanH »

AMB wrote:
boff180 wrote:
Thunderfoot wrote:I know it's been done at Yeovilton, but why not at RIAT? Many of the foreign displays use flares that we never get to see :(

But on topic, lots of overseas display teams would be great, especially as many of them take a great deal of inspiration from the Reds.

Éclat.

Been done to death.

Fairford in RIAT showground configuration cannot and does not comply with the Explosive regulations that now govern aircraft loaded with flares in the UK during peace time. They have to be treated as armed aircraft and kept isolated from all other display acts.etc.

The only way you will see flares at RIAT is if an act operates from a nearby base that can handle them such as Mildenhall or Yeovilton (Brize cannot). Obviously with such a prestigious show acts do not want to operate from other airfields.

The result, no flares at RIAT.

So what about the RAF's Role Demo that has been staged at Fairford several times with huge pyrotechnic explosions? Have these regulations been implemented since then?

The pyros used in the role demos weren't fired from the aircraft themselves, they are detonated on the ground as a simulation, hence the aircraft weren't considered to be bearing live ammunition and therefore didn't have to have the required exclusion zone around them when they were on the ground.
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/

RIAT Air Ops

Re: 50th Anniversary of the Red Arrows... ?

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

boff180 wrote:If I recall correctly, at the FRIAT forum it was said that RIAT will not be marking the start of war WW1. It was seen as not being appropriate to "celebrate" the beginning of a war where so many died. The beginning of a war being the key point.

If I'm wrong someone correct me.

That's correct.

Tom