Totterdown camping info

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
sithrity

Totterdown camping info

Post by sithrity »

Hi all, I've been looking around at the camping options for RIAT, and I was hoping someone on here could help.
I have a potential party of four coming along, and Simon from Totterdown camping says one pitch can fit two medium sized tents on it.
Is this two 3 man tents or two 2 man tents?
Many thanks, Simon.
I don't know everything there is to know about our hobby.

Kids, aviation, missus then responsibilities, (in that order)

Paul_Reflex

Re: Totterdown camping info

Post by Paul_Reflex »

2 three man tents will be fine, as long as you have a smallish car.

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

sithrity wrote:Hi all, I've been looking around at the camping options for RIAT, and I was hoping someone on here could help.
I have a potential party of four coming along, and Simon from Totterdown camping says one pitch can fit two medium sized tents on it.
Is this two 3 man tents or two 2 man tents?
Many thanks, Simon.

It depends on actual sizes of the tents,don't forget to leave room for your vehicle(s) so you might be better bringing the two 2 man tents to be on the safe side.If the weather is ok and you are watching the show/practices from Totterdown on any of the days, you could bring a parasol and set it up outside the tent so another reason to bring your smaller tents to give you more room.

DanH

Post by DanH »

The pitches at Totterdown are 8m x 8m, on which we have managed to fit an 8-berth tent, a landrover and a gazebo, with room around the back to stash a trailer.
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/

sithrity

Post by sithrity »

DanH wrote:The pitches at Totterdown are 8m x 8m, on which we have managed to fit an 8-berth tent, a landrover and a gazebo, with room around the back to stash a trailer.

Cool thanks. I should be fine with 2 tents and a Focus then. :lol:

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Does anyone know if it's possible for people who are not staying at the campsite to watch the show from there?

DanH

Post by DanH »

Agg wrote:Does anyone know if it's possible for people who are not staying at the campsite to watch the show from there?

Yes, there is also a park and view area.

sithrity

Post by sithrity »

Agg wrote:Does anyone know if it's possible for people who are not staying at the campsite to watch the show from there?

Yeah they have a park and view field

http://www.totterdownhillcampsite.co.uk/

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Sounds great, thanks for the replies :)

Is it possible to get any good pictures of the take offs and landings from there?

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

Agg wrote:Sounds great, thanks for the replies :)

Is it possible to get any good pictures of the take offs and landings from there?

No, it's not a good place at all for take-offs or landings. It's the best place for aircraft in flight though!

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Thanks, then I guess I'll do one day inside and one day outside :)

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

If you want take offs and landings then Rhymes Farm is your best viewpoint.For actual displays Totterdown is the best choice having done both over the years.

Mad Dan

Post by Mad Dan »

But Rhymes Farm is north of the runway, so you will be shooting into the light...
I am not a loony... I used to be, but I think I am better now...

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Don't know if this has already been posted but Totterdown website is now saying campsite full.Bookings are now closed.I daresay there will be cancellations between now and the show though.I turned up on spec on the Friday one year and still got a cancellation pitch but that was pot luck,a risk that might not pay off this year if you haven't already booked.

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

TYPHOON3 wrote:Don't know if this has already been posted but Totterdown website is now saying campsite full.Bookings are now closed.I daresay there will be cancellations between now and the show though.I turned up on spec on the Friday one year and still got a cancellation pitch but that was pot luck,a risk that might not pay off this year if you haven't already booked.

Yep, Totterdown is now fully booked- will have to try Rhymes or Kempsford instead
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

BrizeWatcher wrote:Yep, Totterdown is now fully booked- will have to try Rhymes or Kempsford instead
And if you read the Kempsford thread , you'll find the post I made several weeks ago that their website is saying it's already fully booked.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

That leaves Rhymes,Flyby and the less popular Furzey Hill still available unless anyone else can think of any others.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Lots of other 'campsites' around there for that week , but I don't think they're advertised........in most cases , the only time you find out about them is when you're driving down the lanes towards Fairford & see the various signposts stuck on the front of farmhouses or on the verges at junctions.
아직도 숨어있다

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Brevet Cable wrote:Lots of other 'campsites' around there for that week , but I don't think they're advertised........in most cases , the only time you find out about them is when you're driving down the lanes towards Fairford & see the various signposts stuck on the front of farmhouses or on the verges at junctions.
I daresay there are more farmers,land owners etc who open up their fields for RIAT.The ones I have listed are the bigger more well known ones and probably a closer proximity to the airfield.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Only ever travelled there via what becomes the 'Blue' Route , so don't know what the score is elsewhere around there.
I seem to recall seeing a 'camping available' sign on on the lane heading towards Marston Meysey , don't know where it leads to , though.
아직도 숨어있다

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Brevet Cable wrote:Only ever travelled there via what becomes the 'Blue' Route , so don't know what the score is elsewhere around there.
I seem to recall seeing a 'camping available' sign on on the lane heading towards Marston Meysey , don't know where it leads to , though.

Marston Meysey leads to Totterdown,Rhymes and Furzey Hill a bit further on.I come in on the Green route and I have noticed other campsites,but they are further away from the airfield.If you do one day in the show and the other from your campsite like I do then Totterdown and Rhymes are the best two.

carlbotten1971

Post by carlbotten1971 »

Could try this one http://www.fairfordairshowcamping.co.uk It is on the Red Route in Whelford village.Great views on arrival days (dependant on wind direction).Adjacent to Flyby camping.Hope it helps for those looking to camp

sithrity

Post by sithrity »

I just booked my pitch for this year at Totterdown. Just in time it seems as they only have 14 tent pitches left.
I didn't book my pitch till April for last years show. They are selling fast!

DanH

Post by DanH »

sithrity wrote:I just booked my pitch for this year at Totterdown. Just in time it seems as they only have 14 tent pitches left.
I didn't book my pitch till April for last years show. They are selling fast!

It seems to fill up faster each year. It's worth remembering for the future that if you want to rebook your same pitch from the year before then you get first refusal on it from around October/November until the start of January, after then the bookings are on a first come first served basis. Have you joined the Totterdown Facebook group?

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Not at all surprised that they have nearly sold out.It is the best viewpoint/campsite in my opinion and a lot of other people by the looks of it.The fact you can book your pitch and the great viewpoint probably makes Totterdown the best overall campsite for RIAT.It's just a pity it doesn't have electric hook ups. Like another poster said, if you have stayed before you can email Simon from about November to book your pitch for the following year.